Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 56. (Read 199718 times)

Activity: 454
Merit: 251
August 08, 2017, 08:11:03 PM
It seemed reasonable that they moved the coins to a different wallet, because the FBI might find the privat key in some seized equipment.
But why would they split these wallet into thousands of new wallets? They created more than 20000 new wallets within a few days. Is
that some kind of coin mixing? Why all that effort? Aren't they busy setting up a new website? These thousands of new wallets make it
much more complicated to refund the users.

When the the FBI seized the Silk Road wallet, didn't they move all the coins at once to a new address? That's not what happened here. I don't think spreading inputs to many addresses makes it much more complicated to refund users, but I'm also not sure why they would be split this way, either. It reminds me of the Bitfinex hacker, actually.

I am sorry, but there is just one storyline left:
Cold wallet address of BTC-e was probably well known to the sharks. Owners of BTC-e were afraid that miners could block that specific address forever if they just
run with the coins. And they would have had a hard time cashing out in any exchange. So they set up the story of refunding everyone,
which gave them the time to mix the coins, making it impossible for miners and exchanges to block all of the new addresses. It's done now and
all what's left is silence.

Please tell me I am wrong! But I can't imagine any other story at the moment...

Your story doesn't make much sense. Miners are unlikely to collude as such, and even if they tried, a minority of miners would eventually publish the transactions. Your story also doesn't address the FBI seizure page and indictment from the DOJ...
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
August 08, 2017, 08:02:41 PM
I had some hope before (see my last post), but it is gone. I've been using BTC-e since early 2013 and moved a lot of coins back and forth.

After some coin tracing, I am sure that these were the cold wallets of BTC-e:
https://blockchain.info/address/16ZbpCEyVVdqu8VycWR8thUL2Rd9JnjzHt
https://blockchain.info/address/18f1yugoAJuXcHAbsuRVLQC9TezJ6iVRLp
Most of my coins I moved to BTC-e ended up in these wallets.

It seemed reasonable that they moved the coins to a different wallet, because the FBI might find the privat key in some seized equipment.
But why would they split these wallet into thousands of new wallets? They created more than 20000 new wallets within a few days. Is
that some kind of coin mixing? Why all that effort? Aren't they busy setting up a new website? These thousands of new wallets make it
much more complicated to refund the users.

I am sorry, but there is just one storyline left:
Cold wallet address of BTC-e was probably well known to the sharks. Owners of BTC-e were afraid that miners could block that specific address forever if they just
run with the coins. And they would have had a hard time cashing out in any exchange. So they set up the story of refunding everyone,
which gave them the time to mix the coins, making it impossible for miners and exchanges to block all of the new addresses. It's done now and
all what's left is silence.

Please tell me I am wrong! But I can't imagine any other story at the moment...

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
August 08, 2017, 07:09:09 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/6se6m1/did_btce_just_do_what_i_think_they_did/

Conjecture but btc-e.cc was just created. You may get a wee bonus after all. They could've buggered off any time they wanted but didn't. Perhaps they're not doing it this time either.

Domain most likely not under btce control.

Domain Name: BTC-E.CC
   Registry Domain ID: 130469693_DOMAIN_CC-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
   Updated Date: 2017-07-03T07:19:31Z
   Creation Date: 2017-07-03T07:10:38Z

i'd agree that this is likely not the real btc-e admins. i would assume that a number of fake phishing sites are being set up right now, just on the chance that btc-e relaunches in some capacity and tries to refund users. statistically, that's what this probably is.

but im curious: what makes you say that it is "most likely not under btc-e control?"
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
August 08, 2017, 06:46:52 PM
In the Star Wars analogy, I agree. If only it were so simple! The fact of the matter is, by targeting the owners with criminal charges, the US authorities have made it much more likely that the owners will disappear with no attempt at relaunching or refunding customers. Any effort they make to repay customers puts them at greater risk. That makes our odds pretty bad. Undecided

Perhaps the US intention is to frighten people away from using crypto.
Of course it could be just corruption. eg. when the two DEA agents stole coins from the Silk Road seizure.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/08/stealing-bitcoins-with-badges-how-silk-roads-dirty-cops-got-caught/

Maybe some other US agents are looking to try the same caper.

The intention could be to frighten people away from crypto, but it seems more so directed at commerce and value transfer that the US government cannot control. I don't see this sort of seizure happening to Coinbase, Gemini or Itbit. Those companies have poured incredible amounts of resources into legal compliance and obtaining the proper licenses. At most, they'd probably get small fines from regulatory agencies if anything was out of order.

just ignore the statist fuck and move on

Done and done. That guy is a broken record at this point.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
August 08, 2017, 05:45:04 PM
Refunding fiat with an increase to allow for btc price rise is a flawed idea.  It assumes that the fiat holder would have traded perfectly and held.

Activity: 826
Merit: 508
August 08, 2017, 04:20:49 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/6se6m1/did_btce_just_do_what_i_think_they_did/

Conjecture but btc-e.cc was just created. You may get a wee bonus after all. They could've buggered off any time they wanted but didn't. Perhaps they're not doing it this time either.

Very interesting development. A .cc domain... the top-level domain for Cocos (Keeling) Islands, an Australian territory. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I was hoping to see a domain from a country that is known for its unfriendliness to the U.S.

I don't put the prospects of a relaunch or repayment very high, but maybe this inches up the odds a bit. If they come back after all this, BTC-e will be truly legendary.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
August 08, 2017, 04:14:57 PM
The moment bitmixer said it will close the service bitmixor was registered and turned out to be a scam.
Be careful before using that website.

If it really is BTC-e I think it's safe to assume they won't be opening up for trading until everyone pulls out what they have.

I wonder how complete their record keeping is though and a few people here have mentioned they were asking for impossible levels of verification.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
August 08, 2017, 03:45:27 PM
So frustrating watching BTC reaching ATH now.. I bought / sold to make like $50/BTC gains, and happened to be in fiat at the time of takedown. If I was in BTC when the site went down I would be up like $50k now. I'm pretty sure that IF (stilla big if) we get something back, it will be the exact amount we had and not (fiat we had / btc price at that time) coins. Big losses every day Sad

Should always trust crypto. To be fair I believe fiat users will be refunded what they had in fiat and those who stayed in crypto refunded the crypto they had. This helps balance things out.

So they will all be refunded everything by this logic.
Fiat is most likely gone. Coins... god knows.

The only possibility is that they will look into the books see how much they've made, how much they would probably make if they come back and if the second options gives them more $ and BTC in the long run they will take the loss.

The moment bitmixer said it will close the service bitmixor was registered and turned out to be a scam.
Be careful before using that website.
Activity: 60
August 08, 2017, 03:37:32 PM

at least i tried 

Dear Client,

Thank you for contacting xBTCe Support.

xBTCe and BTC-e are two different exchanges, we cooperated in the exchange of liquidity and outsourcing of BTC-e customers' verification. We are waiting for an early solution of the situation with BTC-e, at the moment additional liquidity providers are connected in order to satisfy the needs of our clients.

Please for further information check the following link: https://www.xbtce.com/en/news/business-as-usual-at-xbtce/

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
xBTCe

Activity: 56
August 08, 2017, 01:03:44 PM

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 4398
diamond-handed zealot
August 08, 2017, 12:50:21 PM
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
August 08, 2017, 12:26:04 PM

Activity: 32
August 08, 2017, 10:46:34 AM
They must have earned a shitton with just holding the btc wallet. They could EASILY pay everyone back in full. But probably won't happen

Why should we doubt their words and believe you instead?
because he think he is God.
August 08, 2017, 09:54:12 AM
They must have earned a shitton with just holding the btc wallet. They could EASILY pay everyone back in full. But probably won't happen

Why should we doubt their words and believe you instead?
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
August 08, 2017, 09:23:03 AM
August 08, 2017, 05:41:12 AM
Should always trust crypto. To be fair I believe fiat users will be refunded what they had in fiat and those who stayed in crypto refunded the crypto they had. This helps balance things out.

Most probably not. The best way to refund is to take coin gains, pay the losses with it and let everyone get their refund.

E.g. you had 10 coins valued at $25460. So, with the btc pump you can buy roughly 7.5 btc with that. Take off 30% - 50% of 7.5 btc and you know your refund.

Activity: 86
August 08, 2017, 05:27:31 AM

Yeah, probably what will happen. Just sucks a lot that I had like 40 btc on there, and even if I get the full value of my fiat back, it will only be like 25 btc Sad.
Activity: 69
August 08, 2017, 05:22:42 AM
So frustrating watching BTC reaching ATH now.. I bought / sold to make like $50/BTC gains, and happened to be in fiat at the time of takedown. If I was in BTC when the site went down I would be up like $50k now. I'm pretty sure that IF (stilla big if) we get something back, it will be the exact amount we had and not (fiat we had / btc price at that time) coins. Big losses every day Sad

Activity: 53
August 08, 2017, 05:10:23 AM
How pathetic life you must have to find joy in someone's loss, no matter what kind of exchange it was.

Go outside of you mom's basement, enjoy life, it's very short  Smiley

little sheep, I don't find joy, I only smile. It's just a choice.

you choose to be stupid, I choose to smile. Smiley

Is there an ignore button anywhere we can ignore this brainless idiot?
Activity: 86
August 08, 2017, 05:05:13 AM
Pages:
Jump to: