Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-e.com down ! Police detains the owner . - page 8. (Read 21885 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
The domain is seized bu US authorities, it seems that it will be the bigger lesson for the unlicensed exchangers worldwide and especially Poloniex

Is poloniex unlicensed ? while its containment any exchanges I'll see him about the same thing with the exchanges that you have to look out for is manipulation of the withdrawal and deposit limits. Need to be careful while using exchanges.

YES, poloniex is unlicensed and it's based in USA;same as Kraken.

Poloniex doesn't have the New York bitlicense or any money transmitting license which is why it operates without fiat but it is a US licensed company that complies with KYC and money laundering regulation.

The law says otherwise : a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

So, Poloniex is running an illegal business according to FINCEN.

Poloniex is registered with FINCEN, if you think they are running an illegal business you should ask them why they gave them an MSB license.

The key difference is that they are a money services business but are not considered a money transmitter as they never handle fiat.

I keep saying that by registering with FINCEN, it does NOT mean that a company is a MSB.

FINCEN website:

"Information contained on this site has been provided by the MSB registrant. FinCEN does not verify information submitted by the MSB. Information provided on this site reflects only what was provided directly to FinCEN."

You can register on FINCEN website yourself... right now with any name you want.   make a try.

So, being registered with FINCEN means nothing. First a company MUST be a MSB and then to submit on Fincen website.

A US company must be registered as MSB in all the states if they want to deal/trade/do business  in all of them. See Coinbase, Gemini, Itbit. Look to their websites. You will notice something like :

https://www.coinbase.com/legal/licenses

https://gemini.com/about/

See? BIG difference between Kraken, Poloniex and similar others and these ones

Again, being registered on FINCEN page without being MSB = zero
legendary
The domain is seized bu US authorities, it seems that it will be the bigger lesson for the unlicensed exchangers worldwide and especially Poloniex

Is poloniex unlicensed ? while its containment any exchanges I'll see him about the same thing with the exchanges that you have to look out for is manipulation of the withdrawal and deposit limits. Need to be careful while using exchanges.

Poloniex doesn't have the New York bitlicense or any money transmitting license which is why it operates without fiat but it is a US licensed company that complies with KYC and money laundering regulation.

Exactly - Thankfully, they are a registered MSB in my state, as I looked it up in the state's database (not Fincen), so I'm not worried. Not only that, but the owner is well known and is public , you can quickly figure out who he is with google.

Edit - Mayax, it may be "Illegal" in some areas or uses by particular users just like any exchange, but not for me at least. Thanks.

please show me where(what state) they are registered as MSB. .
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

The law says otherwise : a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

Poloniex is registered with FINCEN, if you think they are running an illegal business you should ask them why they gave them an MSB license.

The key difference is that they are a money services business but are not considered a money transmitter as they never handle fiat.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959

Exactly - Thankfully, they are a registered MSB in my state, as I looked it up in the state's database (not Fincen), so I'm not worried. Not only that, but the owner is well known and is public , you can quickly figure out who he is with google.

Edit - Mayax, it may be "Illegal" in some areas or uses by particular users just like any exchange, but not for me at least. Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
And those who now correctly blame btce for assisting criminals: the GOX theft is NOT even on the arrest warrent, it is wholly about this: A Bulgarian company, with Russian executive, living in Greece, bank accounts in Mongolia, is blamed for not being licensed in the USA!!!!!!!!!!

They could just as well arrest a Swiss Railway executive because they do not request ID from US customers when riding a train...

Or Saudi Arabia could request kidnapping a British bar owner on a vacation in Greece, because he served alcohol to Saudi citizens... Angry

it is not forbidden to serve Saudi citizens with alcohol Smiley

The idea is that a "financial" company must know the laws from the countries where they make their business.
you cannot claim in your defence that you don't know the law.

example : BTC-e accepted US citizens as clients. they accepted bank wires and they send bank wire to them. that means they made business within US according to FINCEN and they needed to be registered as MSB.

Can you imagine the reverse happening ? An US exchange, serving Russian customers without a Russian license, being seized by Russian authorities ?

It is surprising to see so many people justifying the actions by the American authorities. What the FBI has done is clearly over the mark, and they were wrong in seizing and taking down the BTC-e trading platform.

I'm not saying that US is correct, but I think they are building this case for some time now and probably have evidences that BTC-e have indeed violated by serving US customers which would then require a more tighter regulations. And if BTC-e would go online again, I think they will go underground or follow the strict KYC/AML law.
legendary

Activity: 168

legendary

Activity: 742
Merit: 251
Fuck the American government!
Let in Texas in command - if there's a lot of sheep !

I'm on this exchange lost 5.4 rubles.
Give freedom and democracy.

The freedom of circulation of funds!

Let the sheep from Texas taxes they pay!!!
Don't use bad words for any government. Because it is really bad to hear abuse here if someone report you that you are doing abuse then it can harm your account so i will be thankful to you that next time you will not use a bad words against someone because it is already looking very bad in front of people it is not a good thing to do. So try to be careful next time.
Activity: 2660
Merit: 551
If BTCe have secured their coins properly it should be hard for the FEDs to get their hands on the coins.

And it would also make it near impossible for users to get their coins back, if the site is shut down there is no reason for them to honor their debts to people who used their platform.

In my opinion the FEDs are more likely to pay back users money than the owner is at this point.

No. The FED's wont pay back users for the money lost.

I really feel sorry for everyone losing money here but please take 2 things into account:

1. it was kinda obvious that website was an unregulated exchange; poor contact details were a first sign
2. I would never keep more than $100 in an exchange regulated or not, I would simply exchange and bye bye

Correct. It doesn't make sense for people to just let their funds sit like $2500-$10000 in an exchanges because we all know that you don't have total control over it. Everyone should have learn their lesson from Mt. Gox incident. Just too sad to hear people losing all their investment.
Activity: 163
Can you imagine the reverse happening ? An US exchange, serving Russian customers without a Russian license, being seized by Russian authorities ?

lol can only imagine
Activity: 199
0xB911101025014BfCaA3B17BC7683C0817489bB28
And those who now correctly blame btce for assisting criminals: the GOX theft is NOT even on the arrest warrent, it is wholly about this: A Bulgarian company, with Russian executive, living in Greece, bank accounts in Mongolia, is blamed for not being licensed in the USA!!!!!!!!!!

They could just as well arrest a Swiss Railway executive because they do not request ID from US customers when riding a train...

Or Saudi Arabia could request kidnapping a British bar owner on a vacation in Greece, because he served alcohol to Saudi citizens... Angry

The idea is that a "financial" company must know the laws from the countries where they make their business.

example : BTC-e accepted US citizens as clients. they accepted bank wires and they send bank wire to them. that means they made business within US according to FINCEN and they needed to be registered as MSB.

It is surprising to see so many people justifying the actions by the American authorities. What the FBI has done is clearly over the mark, and they were wrong in seizing and taking down the BTC-e trading platform.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 950
fly or die

Activity: 302
Merit: 250
If BTCe have secured their coins properly it should be hard for the FEDs to get their hands on the coins.
I really do not think he will be a tough guy with the Feds simply because he will be behind bars for a long time and i do not think he will act like that in any way shape or form,the real reason for the arrest might be because they are not collecting any user information and may be so is the reason he was booked under money laundering.
Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

Activity: 74
Merit: 10
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

What i should do Huh  Cry Cry Cry

Forget it ... Move on. This petition won't do jack shit. You lost all your money. I'm sorry, but seriously, it's not coming back, anyone with half a brain knows that right now, it's just wishful thinking... Why would anyone associated with this massive criminal enterprise risk starting it back up to "pay you innocent people"Huh Right.. Nobody. That's what  you get for using a shady ass bullshit exchange, sorry man.... Good luck, hope you can rebuild from scratch and recover but don't get your hopes up, this site is 100% done IMO... Sad  : (

There's always going to be somebody playing some game and you shouldn't get too upset about it just keep in mind that some of the exchanges have a very high  risk on disappearing at any time. Key learning is that do not keep all your bitcoin in single exchange, rather split them between multiple exchange to avoid loss in case any exchange scam.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

They did not accept wires from US banks, that should do it. Prohibiting a company to do business with US citizens is not covered by international law; a Bulgarian company has to follow Bulgarian law. Not the law of 1000 other countries.

This is pure imperialism!

Btw. Saudi citizens are not allowed to drink alcohol in Saudia Arabia that is what I mean. So if SA would behave like USA, they would arrest people from other countries just because they served alcohol to their citizens

It is so insane that it is very hard to follow, I must admit, hopefully Greek judges see the madness. Roll Eyes
Activity: 2352
Merit: 905

And it would also make it near impossible for users to get their coins back, if the site is shut down there is no reason for them to honor their debts to people who used their platform.

In my opinion the FEDs are more likely to pay back users money than the owner is at this point.

I disagree. Besides the government having absolutely no idea how cryptos work, when was the last time they decided to repay people after a seizure? There is no way they have any idea how an exchange works and it's probably too much work for them to return any amount of money. Exchanges being insanely complicated, how is it going to work if you're in FIAT when the exchange was seized? You would need to convert to BTC or need to receive a check from them. Do you think that's going to happen? Not only that if everyone converts from FIAT to BTC the price would crash on the exchange.

You're more then likely to get your money back from BTCe. BTCe already had plenty of opportunity to cut and run before the seizure, the seizure doesn't really change anything. We don't even know if their assets were even taken. There are plenty of ways for them to move them around, we're talking cryptos... That's like one of the biggest parts OF cryptos.
Hmm, goverment has no idea about how crypto and exchange works? Do you say that really? Because it's impossie to forget so important task as crypto is and there is no doubt that they know a lot about it to my mind. Goverment don't likes crypto so more likely they won't think much about how to repay people.
Activity: 438
Merit: 266
I lost only 2mBTC. I'm so lucky so I lost only small amount.
Pages:
Jump to: