Pages:
Author

Topic: btt - page 96. (Read 407332 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
March 23, 2013, 02:23:31 AM
Is profitability really unpredictable? What is the upper bound of network hashing power and the latest date to break even?

The latest date to break even will always be never, though that's unlikely here. ASICMiner's latest update suggested their goal is to deploy 50Th next month. Avalon's 2nd batch will add another 40-50Th, and there's always the outside chance BFL will finally get something out the door. I'm leaning toward a small order to keep up with network growth.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
March 23, 2013, 02:00:32 AM
My vote would go towards getting an Avalon batch #3 order in. It seems appropriate to grow with the network using the best  and most cost effective tech available at any given time.
I don't recommend this given the outrageously high price and the unpredictability of profitability depending on BFL / ASICMINER's deployment.

Is profitability really unpredictable? What is the upper bound of network hashing power and the latest date to break even?
I'm not sure how much Avalon/BFL will add to the network, but ASICMINER claims to deploy 50 TH in April. Given that bASIC-MINING doesn't have any units to trade in, they'd be in the back of the queue and who knows when they'll actually receive a batch 3 unit.
legendary
Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012
March 22, 2013, 11:02:40 PM
My vote would go towards getting an Avalon batch #3 order in. It seems appropriate to grow with the network using the best  and most cost effective tech available at any given time.
I don't recommend this given the outrageously high price and the unpredictability of profitability depending on BFL / ASICMINER's deployment.

vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
March 22, 2013, 10:45:29 PM
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
March 22, 2013, 09:04:30 PM
March 22, 2013, 02:37:22 PM
well.. if you are not planning to bet all the money, it could be a reasonable strategy to have a stake there Smiley

We've benefited thus far(at least on paper) by not committing our resources to lengthy order queues with fixed exchange rates, it's an advantage I've no intention of squandering. We are however, still a BTC mining operation and as such must grow with the network.

Thanks for the input fellas.
legendary
March 22, 2013, 01:48:17 PM
well.. if you are not planning to bet all the money, it could be a reasonable strategy to have a stake there Smiley
March 22, 2013, 01:05:11 PM
Is Avalon batch #1 fully shipped? If I get it right, batch #2 will be delayed anyway. I think it is risky to bet on batch #3. Maybe the best strategy would be to keep bitcoins and wait for news. If BFL ships their goods, it will be several times cheaper. If BTC price goes up -- then even more cheaper. If BTC crashes -- then buy from Avalon, as they denominate in bitcoins.

No, I don't believe all the batch 1 units are shipped. The batch 2 shipping delay sounded fairly brief, but time will tell. Yeah it is risky to bet on batch 3 because receipt is a long way out, but I have to weigh that risk against expected network growth rate scenarios. Certainly I wouldn't bet heavily on a batch 3 order, but Avalon is to date the only company to ship any ASIC mining gear to any end users. BFL is...well BFL and ASICMiner's roll out has been slower than anticipated which improves batch 3 order profitability.

Whether we ultimately place a batch 3 order or no we will have significant reserves available for if/when BFL ever ships or a new player brings gear to market. Eventually the gap between placing an order for ASIC mining hardware and receiving it will narrow considerably, and when that time comes the network hashrate will grow very rapidly.
legendary
March 22, 2013, 12:14:27 PM
Is Avalon batch #1 fully shipped? If I get it right, batch #2 will be delayed anyway. I think it is risky to bet on batch #3. Maybe the best strategy would be to keep bitcoins and wait for news. If BFL ships their goods, it will be several times cheaper. If BTC price goes up -- then even more cheaper. If BTC crashes -- then buy from Avalon, as they denominate in bitcoins.
March 22, 2013, 11:29:52 AM
Considering an Avalon batch 3 order despite the large markup. Thoughts? Unfortunately I don't see a BFL order as a viable alternative even at this late juncture.

i would also stick to avalon, since i still don't see BFL as a trustworthy company.

Also, I am considering an increase in the price of the remaining IPO shares upon receipt of the company's batch 2 Avalon. Given the diminishing yield current shareholders have experienced while we await our first ASIC hardware I think it's fair to reward those that have held fast. Given the slower than expected network growth over the last few months the yield will be very healthy for new shareholders even at higher prices once our Avalon is hashing. The added value additional Avalon units will bring should ensure that new shareholders also enjoy a generous return.

sounds legit.

any information on the arrival date of the avalons?

Sadly...no. They suck at this whole customer service thing. Never a response to my support ticket either, but Yifu did respond directly to my forum post saying that if we have a valid walletbit confirmation that we're good to go, so I stopped hounding them for order confirmation, though it doesn't really make the waiting much more fun. Still we're well positioned IMO with an early Avalon batch 2 order on the way & plenty of funds available for a batch 3 order. The thought of having all our funds tied up at BFL right now at the back of an endless queue of orders kind of gives me the creeps.
Activity: 316
March 22, 2013, 11:17:44 AM
Considering an Avalon batch 3 order despite the large markup. Thoughts? Unfortunately I don't see a BFL order as a viable alternative even at this late juncture.

i would also stick to avalon, since i still don't see BFL as a trustworthy company.

Also, I am considering an increase in the price of the remaining IPO shares upon receipt of the company's batch 2 Avalon. Given the diminishing yield current shareholders have experienced while we await our first ASIC hardware I think it's fair to reward those that have held fast. Given the slower than expected network growth over the last few months the yield will be very healthy for new shareholders even at higher prices once our Avalon is hashing. The added value additional Avalon units will bring should ensure that new shareholders also enjoy a generous return.

sounds legit.

any information on the arrival date of the avalons?
March 22, 2013, 10:53:43 AM

Cheers.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Weighted companion cube
March 14, 2013, 02:13:12 AM
He was refunding at an exchange rate of $47.78 today. Not great, but better than the nothing I feared we'd end up with.
Okay, that was more of what I thought. Not a loss in USD terms, and I agree it's definitely better than nothing.
March 14, 2013, 02:08:33 AM
He was refunding at an exchange rate of $47.78 today. Not great, but better than the nothing I feared we'd end up with.
Weighted companion cube
March 14, 2013, 02:05:43 AM
It looks like nasty-mining got refunded too. How much BTC was refunded? Same 80%?
March 14, 2013, 02:05:14 AM
Nope, there are still some remaining to be refunded, I was just a squeaky wheel.
Weighted companion cube
March 14, 2013, 01:38:04 AM
BTC refund of order #1345 finally received. I will add the funds to the company's balance sheet in the morning.
That is great news! Did tom / cablepair refund all btc orders?
March 14, 2013, 12:45:07 AM
BTC refund of order #1345 finally received. I will add the funds to the company's balance sheet in the morning.
March 12, 2013, 03:23:37 PM
It appears as though a batch 1 Avalon order holder located in the US is receiving a package shipped via DHL from Hong Kong tomorrow.

Update on that same order:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1601008

Hope we are next.

+1

If there's only a small gap between batch 1 and batch 2 shipments we'll do well.
Activity: 634
Merit: 500
March 12, 2013, 12:28:09 PM
It appears as though a batch 1 Avalon order holder located in the US is receiving a package shipped via DHL from Hong Kong tomorrow.

Update on that same order:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1601008

Hope we are next.
Pages:
Jump to: