Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs Announces Bulk Chip Sales - page 2. (Read 15801 times)

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500

c:\tmp>wc -l bfl_list.txt

c:\tmp>grep Undelivered bfl_list.txt | wc -l

Gives 43 happy people Wink

You forgot all the ones that haven't registered on that list.

Activity: 427
Merit: 251
- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -
Well it's been over 48 hours, several people have tried starting group buys but as far as I can see not a SINGLE person has commited to SINGLE chip.

Only idiots will now pre-order from BFL and pay the order without an escrow.

There is no sign that BFL will start shipping large amounts within the next weeks and months. They are now in a prototype phase and maybe they loose money with every Jalapeno they ship. A poor yield is the only reason I can imagine why only 30 - 40 Jalapenos were shipped since april.

The 30 or 40 is at least 100 but don't let me spoil your smear.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

c:\tmp>wc -l bfl_list.txt

c:\tmp>grep Undelivered bfl_list.txt | wc -l

Gives 43 happy people Wink

erk
Activity: 826
Well it's been over 48 hours, several people have tried starting group buys but as far as I can see not a SINGLE person has commited to SINGLE chip.

There is no sign that BFL will start shipping large amounts within the next weeks and months. They are now in a prototype phase and maybe they loose money with every Jalapeno they ship. A poor yield is the only reason I can imagine why only 30 - 40 Jalapenos were shipped since april.

The 30 or 40 is at least 100 but don't let me spoil your smear.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
So they've pissed away all their pre-order money with the assumption that it'd keep on rolling in, so now that avalon has taken their market they've made a half-assed panic offer in response.

Sad! they don't deserve a single chip order! and wouldn't even need to offer it had they just started delivering some decent quantities of product.

+1

BFL needs to be gone. Meaning out of business. They have hurt this community and its members much more than any other scam to date.

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
So they've pissed away all their pre-order money with the assumption that it'd keep on rolling in, so now that avalon has taken their market they've made a half-assed panic offer in response.

Sad! they don't deserve a single chip order! and wouldn't even need to offer it had they just started delivering some decent quantities of product.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
BFL Chips?  I think market is already flooded with Avalon chip orders.  With (almost) open source ref. design.

Why would someone want to buy BFL chips at this point? Do they offer better GH/s/Watt?  

People who wanted to go DYI route have already done so.

Help me understand, what is so compelling about BFL chips that would make me buy few?

BFL chips crap all over Avalon chip, read about them before you post. The market is NOT flooded with Avalon chips, the have not shipped.

STop impersonating an australian...... sock puppet!

The never ending sock puppet army ...int03h ...others + others

They always start slow and then end up sounding exactly the same ...

Funny thing is once they have been used one up we never hear from them again ....strange Huh?

That's because they go on tour.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfade/RedHotChiliPeppers2011Tour.jpg

Which one is Josh and Anthony or Steven? or Josh Secretary?  Grin
Activity: 546

A few who did show interest would only do so if payment was on delivery and nothing up front.

Sanity prevails on bitcointalk Smiley

This was always going to be a longshot for them. They are experts at marketing their products to unsophisticated buyers (not pumping up my own tyres, they got me as well). Anyone contemplating buying chips themselves is likely an order of magnitude better informed and would see that the risk of buying BFL chips doesn't justify the premium. Only by shipping all product lines in volume will BFL demostrate that their chip issues are behind them.

It's catch-22. If the chips worked properly they would have had developers begging them to release them. Because the chips don't work very well they need to sell more to get a better volume price. But no one experienced will want to buy chips to help them do that.

And the BFL chip performance is only marginally better hash/$ than Avalon's. Why would anyone take that risk?

Price/Performance
BFL: 2600 MH/s for $89 is 29.2 MH/s per $1
Avalon: 280 MH/s for $10 is 28 MH/s per $1

Power efficiency
Avalon: 66,000 MH/s @ 600W 110 MH/w 
BFL: 5200 MH/s @ 35W 148MH/w  (the ars technica box measured 5.2 @ 50W)

Yeah, I'm really surprised they didn't offer a significantly better price than Avalon. They are shipping later and they are an unproven technology. I don't see any reason to chose them over Avalon for discrete chips right now.

I think they are going to get very few pre-orders and drop the price significantly in the next few weeks. Or maybe they actually need the money that desperately and will simply go out of business.

It doesn't help that they just angered every so single one of their 60,000 preorder customers which would have been their best market for selling discrete chips.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006
BFL Chips?  I think market is already flooded with Avalon chip orders.  With (almost) open source ref. design.

Why would someone want to buy BFL chips at this point? Do they offer better GH/s/Watt?  

Help me understand, what is so compelling about BFL chips that would make me buy few?

BFL chips crap all over Avalon chip, read about them before you post. The market is NOT flooded with Avalon chips, the have not shipped.
and it'll ship 2 weeks after avalon chip order starts being assembled and/or shipped out.

Grin
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

A few who did show interest would only do so if payment was on delivery and nothing up front.

This was always going to be a longshot for them. They are experts at marketing their products to unsophisticated buyers (not pumping up my own tyres, they got me as well). Anyone contemplating buying chips themselves is likely an order of magnitude better informed and would see that the risk of buying BFL chips doesn't justify the premium. Only by shipping all product lines in volume will BFL demostrate that their chip issues are behind them.

It's catch-22. If the chips worked properly they would have had developers begging them to release them. Because the chips don't work very well they need to sell more to get a better volume price. But no one experienced will want to buy chips to help them do that.

And the BFL chip performance is only marginally better hash/$ than Avalon's. Why would anyone take that risk?

Price/Performance
BFL: 2600 MH/s for $89 is 29.2 MH/s per $1
Avalon: 280 MH/s for $10 is 28 MH/s per $1

Power efficiency
Avalon: 66,000 MH/s @ 600W 110 MH/w 
BFL: 5200 MH/s @ 35W 148MH/w  (the ars technica box measured 5.2 @ 50W)
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

Funny thing is once they have been used one up we never hear from them again ....strange Huh?

That's because they go on tour.

Activity: 574

Activity: 574

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
Notice how Erk claims the BFL chips win but can't post any numbers to back it up?  Grin
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
Erk, you should probably start updating your resume.  Things not looking good for BFL.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow

*Mumbles something about the four extra quarters worth of clues that you are buying per GHs/Watt*
legendary
@Erk,

BFL's chips if they ever do arrive will be at least a month or two after AVALON chip orders get filled.

Months in the bitcoin world in terms of difficulty is like comparing Smart cars to Limousines.
legendary
I guess now Yifu can now check to see if BFL's chips really are 65nm if he gets in on a group buy of 100.

$100 is cheaper than ponying up one of those 6GH/s development boxes.

Maybe Avalon should simply buy a large lot of chips and design Avalon MK2 to run on bfl chips. Sure would solve a lot a problems for them and bfl.

Why would they? BFL chips bang for the buck is about the same as Avalon.

Retail prices:
BFL   2.5GH/s for $85  29MH/s per $1
Avalon  280MH/s for $10 28MH/s per $1

Avalon of course has access to wholesale prices for their own chips, so their chips are far more efficient for them to use than paying BFL.

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

Because.....

(Shit! I have no good answer...fook it...time to deflect!)

There did your mind just blank out right now? Good. What were we talking about again?  Grin

Pages:
Jump to: