Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs Announces Bulk Chip Sales - page 5. (Read 15834 times)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10
Demands are just too high because people are willing to spend anything on a short supply of ASICs right now
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Does anyone else think the chips are priced ridiculously?

I talked to someone at an ASIC company lately who argued that it would be a cinch to build 65 or 28nm chips, their sims showed about 8-10gh/s per chip. He offered that if they ever got to development, the first batch would cost me $50 per chip since the development costs are so high. Should they produce a second batch, he'd give to me for $30. Estimated margin with development costs on a 100k batch was by the way 300-400%.

What you see there is a fucked up margin of unbelievable 1000%, since one of these chips is bound to cost around 10$ including production if there was one 100.000 batch produced and built.

I dont care about how late they are or how mean to their customers, I already got a refund for that. But now selling your chips with a 1000% margin? Are you serious BFL?

As serious as Avalon are with their margin, or ASICminer with their ludicrous mark-up!!!
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Does anyone else think the chips are priced ridiculously?

I talked to someone at an ASIC company lately who argued that it would be a cinch to build 65 or 28nm chips, their sims showed about 8-10gh/s per chip. He offered that if they ever got to development, the first batch would cost me $50 per chip since the development costs are so high. Should they produce a second batch, he'd give to me for $30. Estimated margin with development costs on a 100k batch was by the way 300-400%.

What you see there is a fucked up margin of unbelievable 1000%, since one of these chips is bound to cost around 10$ including production if there was one 100.000 batch produced and built.

I dont care about how late they are or how mean to their customers, I already got a refund for that. But now selling your chips with a 1000% margin? Are you serious BFL?
Activity: 574
Is it OK in the US if those damn assholes sell the basic components of a product I already paid in June 2012 to another customer?! They should burn in hell!  Huh

Considering that's not what they are doing, all you have done is shown your lack of comprehension of a relatively simple product announcement. I suggest you go and read it again, perhaps twice.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3014-butterfly-labs-announces-bulk-chip-sales.html

^^^^ BFL PR department

Always one on these threads... as in ( Sockpuppets incorporated)
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
They are nothing but a bunch of back stabbing con men, liars, cheats, fools and ass hats. The whole company is a circus. They could't assemble a pizza box if their very lives depended on it.
Every one who works for BFL is curt/ terse demeaning/dismissive or just hateful to customers. They distract, derail threads that are negative. They ban people who complain and cancel their orders. They mark up prices and ask for shipping you already paid for. They change specs and then they change specs again. They delay and delay and if the day ever comes when you get what you ordered it well be worthless.

+5092379381609586958698052753857093587396108045893825038524095723053957093258095358309583

make this man a Mod
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Clearly 0 < 13.

Would the D-grade chips (13 engines or less working) include chips that are non-functioning?

The D-grade chips might be the equivalent of the fruit at the market which is just about to be thrown out. OK for making jam, but that's about it. Problem is jam has a very poor hash-rate.
One isn't expected to pay full retail for the crap that is getting ready for the dumpster.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Clearly 0 < 13.

Would the D-grade chips (13 engines or less working) include chips that are non-functioning?

The D-grade chips might be the equivalent of the fruit at the market which is just about to be thrown out. OK for making jam, but that's about it. Problem is jam has a very poor hash-rate.
Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
Expanding their business line detracts from the orders BFL already has at their feet...NOT HAPPY JAN!
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
We will be providing reference documentation, reference design/schematics, and foundry receipt/documentation.

But they have refused to do exactly this for the current customers of which thousands have been so kind to them in helping fund their endeavor. Now, it's fuck them, we will treat the next batch of cocksuckers better.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Is it OK in the US if those damn assholes sell the basic components of a product I already paid in June 2012 to another customer?! They should burn in hell!  Huh

Considering that's not what they are doing, all you have done is shown your lack of comprehension of a relatively simple product announcement. I suggest you go and read it again, perhaps twice.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3014-butterfly-labs-announces-bulk-chip-sales.html

I've read it more than twice (not being an ass), and here's my other takeaway.

We will allow you to convert current orders with us into chip orders if you would rather design your own.

If you would like to place an order, please email [email protected]

Remember the posts where Jody, et al., was complaining about their email workload? This just compounds that problem several fold, but that's okay, for these emails will consist of moneys going to the their coffers, oppose to support of product they'll having trouble producing.

Total pieces of shit!
erk
Activity: 826
I am curious, how do the chip packages that BFL use,  attach and make contact with the PCB, is it a hot air reflow solder thing like QFN?

legendary
Activity: 883
Merit: 1005
They are nothing but a bunch of back stabbing con men, liars, cheats, fools and ass hats. The whole company is a circus. They could't assemble a pizza box if their vary lives depended on it.
Every one who works for BFL is curt/ terse demeaning/dismissive or just hateful to customers. They distract, derail threads that are negative. They ban people who complain and cancel their orders. They mark up prices and ask for shipping you already paid for. They change specs and then they change specs again. They delay and delay and if the day ever comes when you get what you ordered it well be worthless.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
I bet they stop shipping jalapenos after they start to ship chips.  

See what Avalon do first.

Do you get paid by the day or hour to instill confidence of BFL into the community?
erk
Activity: 826

See what Avalon do first.
legendary
Activity: 883
Merit: 1005
KS
Activity: 448
lol @ BFL

What good is BFL releasing a reference design if the reference design is flawed? IE.  power issues/other issues....

"You can buy our chips, but good luck getting them to work!"

Not ideal but it's good starting point for the talents out there. Better than trying to figure out everything from scratch.

How do you consider vaporware chips a good starting point?

Only difference with what people have now is they have money. If they order they will have no money and an email saying they have "chips" on their way in 100, 200, 300 days?

dont make me laugh  Cheesy

I was referring to the reference design. It's better to start with one than figuring out the chips. (there is no reference design AFAIK though, so it was more of a "generic" comment Smiley )

Now, whether BFL delivers is another can of worms.
Wink even with the reference design how do you really know it works?

We dont.

As with every design: make it, test it, change it.

I'm not promoting BFL, if that's your worry, but I would support freelance pcb designers (as I do for the Klondike project).
legendary
lol @ BFL

What good is BFL releasing a reference design if the reference design is flawed? IE.  power issues/other issues....

Not ideal but it's good starting point for the talents out there. Better than trying to figure out everything from scratch.

Only difference with what people have now is they have money. If they order they will have no money and an email saying they have "chips" on their way in 100, 200, 300 days?

I was referring to the reference design. It's better to start with one than figuring out the chips. (there is no reference design AFAIK though, so it was more of a "generic" comment Smiley )

Wink even with the reference design how do you really know it works?

We dont.
KS
Activity: 448
lol @ BFL

legendary
lol @ BFL

legendary
Is it OK in the US if those damn assholes sell the basic components of a product I already paid in June 2012 to another customer?! They should burn in hell!  Huh

Uh, they are offering to convert orders to chips orders. So it appears you don't know or don't read...

+1

Erk is another BFL tard. Can't read and can't see a scam when it is glaringly obvious.
Pages:
Jump to: