Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 10. (Read 186898 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
Same exact problem. case noise related to the bottom fan on rev 2 unit. time+vibration=noise I guess. not defective, just inconvenient.

Activity: 295
Merit: 250
I had a dead bottom fan on one of my singles. That small POS that makes the singles whine. I was trying to sleep when the single woke me up with that nasty rattling sound. Got rid of the housing, turned the top fan and added a spare 120mm fan to the side. Mission accomplished !

Weirdly enough when I touch the case of my single wrong (particularly on the underside) it starts making a wretched rattling noise. I'm not sure where that bottom fan is interfering but I have been trying to figure it out. I ended up just placing it out of the way and have been avoiding moving it  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
I had a dead bottom fan on one of my singles. That small POS that makes the singles whine. I was trying to sleep when the single woke me up with that nasty rattling sound. Got rid of the housing, turned the top fan and added a spare 120mm fan to the side. Mission accomplished !
Activity: 446
After heatsink mod and fixing dried out white paste on the chips I was able and am able to hit 864 at a 75F room temp, my intake temp is slightly lower at 74.8F.
Increasing the baudrate on the com port (shouldn't matter) got 860.4 with an 864 bitstream. I would say it seems to make a small difference as I had shown 858-859 before.
Interesting the one I got that had three fans (Two internal, One external) and was running an 816 firmware. Now it works great.

How difficult of process was it to do the heatsink mod (and what did you mod?) and change the paste?

Activity: 981
Merit: 500
DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize
After heatsink mod and fixing dried out white paste on the chips I was able and am able to hit 864 at a 75F room temp, my intake temp is slightly lower at 74.8F.
Increasing the baudrate on the com port (shouldn't matter) got 860.4 with an 864 bitstream. I would say it seems to make a small difference as I had shown 858-859 before.
Interesting the one I got that had three fans (Two internal, One external) and was running an 816 firmware. Now it works great.
Activity: 447
Weird. The one that was throttling was loaded with the 864 firmware (arrived that way from BFL).

EDIT: and it works beautifully with the 832 firmware! yay@!@
any chance of getting 1.1 in the meantime? sorry for my impatience, i just unplugged all my miners earlier and was hoping to troubleshoot them tonight before bed
Looks like it's still on the site: http://www.butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EasyMiner_V_1.1_Beta.exe

I'm downloading the auto tune package now... wonder what magic it contains for a 70+ mb file!

Cheers!
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
any chance of getting 1.1 in the meantime? sorry for my impatience, i just unplugged all my miners earlier and was hoping to troubleshoot them tonight before bed
Looks like it's still on the site: http://www.butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EasyMiner_V_1.1_Beta.exe

I'm downloading the auto tune package now... wonder what magic it contains for a 70+ mb file!
Ah, cool. I'd never downloaded it before so I had no idea.
BFL
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
Anyone have the EasyMiner exe that they can post?

The link on the site http://www.butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EasyMiner_V_1.2_Beta.exe is dead

Sorry...  we're updating the page with a new version and auto speed tuning.  It'll be finished uploading shortly.
rjk
1ngldh

The link on the site http://www.butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EasyMiner_V_1.2_Beta.exe is dead
It used to be 1.1, so they must be updating it right this instant. Did you notice the new "auto tune" package? Can't wait!

rjk
1ngldh
Has anyone opened one up recently to see if they are still sanding off the chips?
According to a comment a while back that BFL made, the chips were only sanded for the first small batch, and the rest are being produced custom with no silkscreening at all.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
Has anyone opened one up recently to see if they are still sanding off the chips?
Turns out it's actually one of the ones without the fans on bottom that's overheating, finally saw some lights flashing  Shocked

Going to try flashing some slower firmware, but I'm wondering if I should open it up and check to make sure the heatsink is seated correct? is that fairly painless?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Has anyone that received Singles recently gotten some of the older units with the gigantic fans on the bottom?

2 of the units I received today have the fans and one of them is throttling heavily....kind of pisses me off that they're still sending out the old revisions. Probably refurbished units instead of new ones too.

They're not necessarily the "old" versions (which is a relative term now that the internals are reasonably well-understood).  The later revisions often have a bottom 80mm fan.  It's annoying because they're loud and not PWM (although you can easily throw a fan controller inline), and the wiring is pure ghetto.

I've found that the "bottom fan" models probably shouldn't be flashed with the higher-speed bitstreams, as they're more likely to flake out.  To be completely honest, if your QC process indicates that you need to put that fan on the bottom to ship it, you probably shouldn't ship it at all.
But they've been doing this ... for what is it now? ... 11 years? Cheesy
Activity: 344
Has anyone that received Singles recently gotten some of the older units with the gigantic fans on the bottom?

2 of the units I received today have the fans and one of them is throttling heavily....kind of pisses me off that they're still sending out the old revisions. Probably refurbished units instead of new ones too.

Yes, the two Singles I received also have the external fans on the bottom.  I'm pretty sure they're still rev. 3, though.  I think I remember BFL mentioning that they were adding fans to some of the rev. 3 units, as-needed.

I've got both of the units running the 816 firmware without throttling in an un-airconditioned ~ 85°F room.

Code:
BFL 0:  57.8C         | 811.0/799.4Mh/s | A:340 R:5 HW:0 U:11.01/m
 BFL 1:  59.0C         | 811.0/797.1Mh/s | A:355 R:3 HW:0 U:11.49/m
They do have the new heatpipes, so I was wrong on that issue. I don't notice any red light flashing that would be indicative off throttling however. Room temp is around 74C, but obviously a little warmer on the shelf with lots of other FPGAs. How often do the lights flash?

Guess I'll install Windows on a USB and check out what firmware they're running. Perhaps downflashing to a lower speed would help?
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
There is no way to change the firmware on the singles without a windows machine? Who the hell runs windows these days?

Maybe try wine/windows on a virtual machine/CrossOver.
Pages:
Jump to: