Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 75. (Read 186929 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Yeah, I single gpu unit hasn't made much sense in a long time.  Unless of course your talking one of the top end models, but even then it doesn't amount to much of a payoff...
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
A single GPU unit doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
I guess it looks like unless your mining on ASIC/FPGA boards now run via ArmPC's your just a hobbyist, not making anything and just in it for fun of it  Undecided
legendary
No but I live in the UK and have received confirmation of my order plus my money was taken over two weeks ago now.

Welcome to the club.

I've received four email replies today concerning my order and questions from my initial purchase over two weeks ago now? 
vip
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
No but I live in the UK and have received confirmation of my order plus my money was taken over two weeks ago now.

Welcome to the club.
legendary
Rig box is months (12+ weeks) away based on PM from BFL  Angry
Actually, since so much of the rig box is based off the Single, this makes sense.  I kind of assumed that the rig box would need a virtual architectural overhaul based on the experience gained on the Single.  BFL or BFL-Engineer please correct if not accurate, don't mean to spread FUD.

Yeah that still does not explain how 32 singles are able to get 50 GHash/s ... Roll Eyes

Any other guys from the UK got their order Huh

Thanks !

Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Actually, since so much of the rig box is based off the Single, this makes sense.  I kind of assumed that the rig box would need a virtual architectural overhaul based on the experience gained on the Single.  BFL or BFL-Engineer please correct if not accurate, don't mean to spread FUD.
Yeah that still does not explain how 32 singles are able to get 50 GHash/s ... Roll Eyes
Thanks !
They are Singles,  but use a different chip.  I assume a chip with different thermal characteristics, power requirements, hashing power, etc. That was why I thought that it would make sense to have a newer/uber Single with the more powerful or efficient chip. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.782094  This new Single would be used to iron out any problems prior to putting it in a $30k appliance.  But I really don't know, since I am not an engineer. I was thinking more from a process point of view.
Activity: 518

Any other guys from the UK got their order Huh

Thanks !
donator
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1110
watching thread O_O for May or June Rig Box deliveries
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Rig box is months (12+ weeks) away based on PM from BFL  Angry
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps

I guess is depends on when you ordered.....
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Thanks for clarifying that about the PSU.

I just looked at some air con models available here. 12,000 BTU, split and window type, around 1.05 to 1.2x kWh. I hope that's max and not some sort of average.

No AC units are rated on their maximum cooling capacity.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
An air conditioner rated at 1 ton is roughly capable of handling 12,000 BTU (or 3517 watts!!) per hour of capacity, as specified by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

So does that mean you need a 1 ton (12,000 BTU) A/C for a Rig Box and pay an additional 3517 watts of electricity?

Yes (needing one ton), no using (3517 watts).

First of all an AC just uses the wattage is needs.   If you are cooling a unit that produces 2500W of heat it only has to displace 2500W of heat not 3517.

Second AC unit tend to have 300% to 400% efficiency.  Meaning that for every 1 watt input they can remove 3 to 4 watts of heat.

So to cool a 2500W rig by AC will require ~600W to 800W more electricity.  Of course there is nothing "special" about the rigbox to cool any 2500W source (even a 2500W electrical space heater) will require the same amount of energy.

I can't imagine you'd need an A/C if you run a couple of GPU mining rigs with a total of 2,500 watt (to stay with the same number) and clearly, people run mining rigs in hotter climates (ie. Goat in Thailand). Why would you need one for servers? Or would it only matter if you have multiples of those (as it is usually the case for server rooms)? As you can see, I am clearly confused about his.

If you wanted to cool them by AC of course you would.  All the electricity in a rig (BFL single, BFL rig box, GPU rig, 200MH/s ztek board, etc) becomes heat. 

There are a variety of methods to remove that heat but if you use air-conditioning it is going to require ~ 1 ton per 2.5KW of electrical load.  Data centers tend to have unbelivably massive air conditioners.  Some have 100 tons+ of cooling capacity.[/quote]
vip
Now what is the difference between 12100 BTU of cooling and 12100 BTU/h ?  Grin

I am simply trying to figure out what A/C I'd need for 1 Rig Box, 5 Rig Boxes or 10 Rig Boxes Wink (<-- this means I am not serious)

I believe both of those are the same thing, but most leave out the per hour part. A good ratio I use is 3.4 BTUs per watt. The rig box would require at least 8500 BTUs. If your climate is particularly bad, go with a 10K unit. I have successfully cooled down 5,000 watts of electronics with an 18000 BTU A/C unit, with outside temperatures reaching 100 degrees.
Activity: 489
Immersionist
*deleted* fizzisists post just explained the difference.

Now what is the difference between 12100 BTU of cooling and 12100 BTU/h ?  Grin

I am simply trying to figure out what A/C I'd need for 1 Rig Box, 5 Rig Boxes or 10 Rig Boxes Wink (<-- this means I am not serious)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525
You forgot the last part of the calculation - divide by BTUs/kw.  4290 / 3413 = 1.26 kW.

Where are you getting those numbers in bold?

For this particular unit the EER would be 9.6 (12100 BTU / 1260 watts), so not the best out there. Not sure where they get 2.82.

It's the mixture of units that's confusing. BTU is a measure of energy and watts is a measure of power. To make things worse, there's already an SI unit for energy, it's called a joule (and 1 W = 1 J/s). I think the EER is supposed to be ratio of power consumed to power "removed."

That's why they show EER = 2.82 W/W (there's no need for the W/W, because it's a dimensionless quantity).

SgtSpike's EER is actually BTU/h/W. To get that from 2.82 W/W:

2.82 W/W * 3.41214 BTU/h/W = 9.62 BTU/h/W

Oh yeah, and the AC does not do 12100 BTU of cooling, it does 12100 BTU/h.

Ok, annoying physicist fizzisist rant over. Smiley
vip
You forgot the last part of the calculation - divide by BTUs/kw.  4290 / 3413 = 1.26 kW.

Where are you getting those numbers in bold?

For this particular unit the EER would be 9.6 (12100 BTU / 1260 watts), so not the best out there. Not sure where they get 2.82.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I just looked at some air con models available here. 12,000 BTU, split and window type, around 1.05 to 1.2x kWh. I hope that's max and not some sort of average.

Pay close attention to the EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio). For window types, most don't go above 10.8 (divide the BTUs by the ratio to get watts used). The highest I've seen is 11.7 EER (1025 watts)

Hmm, something doesn't add up here. It's probably because the site I am using (HK's electricity provider) messed up the numbers.

https://www.clponline.com.hk/MyHome/EnergyEfficiencyIdeas/AdoptEEApp/EcoLivingRoom/ReverseCycleAirConditioner/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?model=CW-C1211VA
(click on English on the top in case you want to confirm my numbers)

Panasonic CW-C1211VA
Cooling 12100 BTU
Power Consumption 1.26 kW
EER 2.82 W/W

12100 / 2.82 = 4290

Same for a few other models on that site.

You forgot the last part of the calculation - divide by BTUs/kw.  4290 / 3413 = 1.26 kW.
Activity: 489
Immersionist

Pay close attention to the EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio). For window types, most don't go above 10.8 (divide the BTUs by the ratio to get watts used). The highest I've seen is 11.7 EER (1025 watts)

Hmm, something doesn't add up here. It's probably because the site I am using (HK's electricity provider) messed up the numbers.

https://www.clponline.com.hk/MyHome/EnergyEfficiencyIdeas/AdoptEEApp/EcoLivingRoom/ReverseCycleAirConditioner/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?model=CW-C1211VA
(click on English on the top in case you want to confirm my numbers)

Panasonic CW-C1211VA
Cooling 12100 BTU
Power Consumption 1.26 kW
EER 2.82 W/W

12100 / 2.82 = 4290

Same for a few other models on that site.
Pages:
Jump to: