Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 77. (Read 186929 times)

Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Butterfly Labs - can you tell us how many backorders you have at this point?

I see so many people saying they have ordered 1 or 2 (or 10).  If we assume 300 backordered singles, and say, 10 of the box rigs, that's around 750 GH/s of added hashing power!  Increase of difficulty around 7.5% from where we are now...  I guess it's not a huge amount, but still interesting to think about!

The difficulty is going up by around 15% a month anyway. Even putting all bitcoins earned back into new singles, it will not be enough to maintain a set income. Unless bitcoin prices go up or the difficulty stops going up at the current rate.
So ... where did you get that 15% number from?
The current jump 24 blocks ago was approx 9%
Each adjustment happens about every two weeks. Last time it was 9%. I think 15% a month is about right, I don't see what you think is wrong with it.
The difficulty on 14 October 2011 was 1468195.43, the current difficulty is 1496978.59.  Your estimate of 15% a month is absent of fact.  Maybe that is what kano finds wrong.
Activity: 350
They are ramping up production and refining the process... I would say 4 - 6 weeks is more likely than it was before. 

Are you now the official BFL PR guy ?

On another note, any more folks from the UK ordered theirs and got any information about customs or VAT or taxes that have to be paid to her majesty Tongue ?

Or maybe about that rumor with the Frankfurt EU resellers Huh

Thanks !

No, are you the official asshole of the thread?

Of course not, don't be daft.  He's the official asshole of the forum Wink

Back on topic, America does some things right, but their postage system isn't counted in that.   USPS is, and always has been, a bloody disgrace Smiley   I'm sure it might work well enough interstate, but internationally it's bloody terrible.

Shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, but felt like venting anyway Cheesy
Activity: 392
Butterfly Labs - can you tell us how many backorders you have at this point?

I see so many people saying they have ordered 1 or 2 (or 10).  If we assume 300 backordered singles, and say, 10 of the box rigs, that's around 750 GH/s of added hashing power!  Increase of difficulty around 7.5% from where we are now...  I guess it's not a huge amount, but still interesting to think about!

The difficulty is going up by around 15% a month anyway. Even putting all bitcoins earned back into new singles, it will not be enough to maintain a set income. Unless bitcoin prices go up or the difficulty stops going up at the current rate.
So ... where did you get that 15% number from?
The current jump 24 blocks ago was approx 9%
Each adjustment happens about every two weeks. Last time it was 9%. I think 15% a month is about right, I don't see what you think is wrong with it.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Hmm ... anyone know if current can be updated if BFL come out with a new firmware?
(I'm wondering if the reason he's selling them is the current firmware and p2pool do not go together well)

Any FPGA can be upgraded with any compatible bitstream.  Icarus and ztek for example have issued dozens of bitstream updates.   

However BFL indicated the JTAG header wouldn't be useful to determine the chip being used which shows they are keeping (or at least trying) to keep the devices a black box where end user has no internal access.  So it is more a question of if they allow the bitstream to be upgraded.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
I think you're completely right about the fpgas, but I don't think Bitcoin will flop soon Tongue
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
i'm not in the "BFL is a scam" camp, but the justification for almost complete lack of communication with their customers who have waited months for their product, through repeated moving goalposts for expectation of deliver, because BFL is focusing all resources on getting product shipped, is silly.

btw, i notice two BFL units up for bidding on OTC, offered by luke-jr.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/vieworderbook.php?sortby=thing&sortorder=ASC&type=&nick=&thing=BITFORCE+SINGLE+FPGA+MINER&otherthing=&eitherthing=¬es=

don't know that this means he's received them, or just got his shipping email, but we desperately need to see more confirmations of delivered units.

i still hope to become a customer of theirs, but the track record is spotty at best.
Hmm ... anyone know if current can be updated if BFL come out with a new firmware?
(I'm wondering if the reason he's selling them is the current firmware and p2pool do not go together well)
Activity: 308
I was thinking about buying some 7970's instead.  I'm thinking about investing some serious dough and if bitcoins flop then who is going to want the fpga,  at the least I could get something back for he 7970s.  What is everyone's thoughts on this.  
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
I know Butterfly products currently are hard to beat in terms of price/benefit but do you really want to start fpga mining when we reach christmas? Seriously!

Maybe their product is hard to beat for that price, but no professional company should treat their customers like Butterfly Labs does.

At least a confirmation mail or status update via email is a minimum in my opinion. Otherwise i can fully understand people that have doubts and start to ask questions.

As a result i canceled my BFL order from nov 2011 and ordered a few ZTEX 1.15x last sunday. This guy is very professional, got a confirmation mail right after the order was complete.
The fpga arrived only two days later and are a really high quality product. Already hashing for over 80 hours now without any problems.
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
Dear Butterfly Labs,

I am nearing the half way point of an MBA program and a dedicated bitcoin miner. I will move to wherever the hell you are and run your customer service/PR department and hire some more people for you. You could be selling THOUSANDS of these units worldwide with the right business strategy.

Seriously though, you can see there is a HUGE demand especially with the 25 BTC blocks coming at year end. Hire someone to help yourselves out. I'll consult from here in Maryland just for a few free units and be happy to answer emails and update/manage your website.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
i'm not in the "BFL is a scam" camp, but the justification for almost complete lack of communication with their customers who have waited months for their product, through repeated moving goalposts for expectation of deliver, because BFL is focusing all resources on getting product shipped, is silly.

btw, i notice two BFL units up for bidding on OTC, offered by luke-jr.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/vieworderbook.php?sortby=thing&sortorder=ASC&type=&nick=&thing=BITFORCE+SINGLE+FPGA+MINER&otherthing=&eitherthing=¬es=

don't know that this means he's received them, or just got his shipping email, but we desperately need to see more confirmations of delivered units.

i still hope to become a customer of theirs, but the track record is spotty at best.
legendary
Activity: 1260
They are ramping up production and refining the process... I would say 4 - 6 weeks is more likely than it was before. 

On another note, any more folks from the UK ordered theirs and got any information about customs or VAT or taxes that have to be paid to her majesty Tongue ?

Thanks !

No, are you the official asshole of the thread?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Thanks !
legendary
Activity: 1260
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Well I put in my order this past Saturday.. website says 4-6 weeks. I am assuming if they run like any other business they will keep taking orders as long as product is in stock. I would assume if they are past 4-6 weeks they would then take down the order form and or change the delivery time to 6-8 weeks 8-10.. etc etc..

lolz.  The website said 4-6 weeks in September.  Some people waited 6 months.  Likely you won't wait that long but they never changed the "4-6 weeks" even when having to redesign the entire board so I wouldn't take that as a firm estimate.
legendary
Activity: 889
Bitcoin calls me an Orphan
Well I put in my order this past Saturday.. website says 4-6 weeks. I am assuming if they run like any other business they will keep taking orders as long as product is in stock. I would assume if they are past 4-6 weeks they would then take down the order form and or change the delivery time to 6-8 weeks 8-10.. etc etc..
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
4-6 weeks Wink
Activity: 308
Does anyone have any idea on how far the backorder is. 
vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps
Remember you only have forty-five days from the date of the purchase to file a dispute with PayPal.  So I've got to put one in the beginning of April.  They still haven't replied to my email last week about my order but their website homepage has been redesigned  Huh

Please read the thread:

Looks like they have decided to put all of their resources towards producing for their current customers so I suspect most requests will go unanswered for a while.

Also: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-single-in-the-wild-bounty-received-65752
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
OK, I couldn't hold out any more... just ordered one!

you ordered with paypal? and did you receive a confirmation email for the order yet?

Yes, I used Paypal in case I have a chance of getting my money back if it turns out to be a scam, but I really just hope I get a working unit.

No confirmation e-mail from Butterfly Labs directly yet.  Just the receipt from Paypal.  However, I did order at 1:41AM, so I don't mind if I don't see anything until my payment clears next Friday.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more show up "in the wild" this weekend.

Right now, I'm feeling like 80% chance that I'll get my unit by end of April 2012.

In my gut, there is a 15% chance that it'll get delayed further than that.

and 5% chance that I'm in the second wave scam round where I buy after the few success stories.

I've read a lot about all of the FPGA technology and butterfly labs, etc.

I feel like the FPGA technology x6500 boards and Icarus boards are simply too expensive right now (even though this is the best long term solution).  Also, I got several people involved to see if we could try to build them ourselves, but I feel like I would waste way too much money doing that given my lack of computer engineering skills.

I need to tend to my wife's short term payoff, which this unit gives the possibility of paying itself off within the year depending on price/difficulty.  My wife also hates the large electricity bill, so if I can make it more of a "initial investment" with very low operational costs, she may be ok with it.

The only thing I'm still curious about is whether I will be able to play a video game and have this thing run in the background.  Right now overclocking my 5970 makes the screen glitchy and it's loud, etc.

Remember you only have forty-five days from the date of the purchase to file a dispute with PayPal.  So I've got to put one in the beginning of April.  They still haven't replied to my email last week about my order but their website homepage has been redesigned  Huh
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
The only thing I'm still curious about is whether I will be able to play a video game and have this thing run in the background.  Right now overclocking my 5970 makes the screen glitchy and it's loud, etc.
Use cgminer ...
Pages:
Jump to: