Pages:
Author

Topic: [CENSORSHIP] Matthew N. Wright - page 9. (Read 16408 times)

legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2013, 01:14:24 PM
He was trolling continuously. He hasn't changed: He edited that poll after people had already voted to create misleading results.

Honestly losing more and more respect.. You're telling me you're against trolling so much to 'ban' someone, but you let scammers walk around free with a tag? Whats wrong with that picture? Sounds like censorship to me.

P.S. MNW isn't someone who I'm affiliated with, so a neutral party that isn't pleased on whats going down.

Well, the forum policy since a long time ago was to ban trolls (as they impede the speech of others), and tag scammers. Scammers aren't banned outright as they could repay and resolve their issues, but they might still be banned if they start trolling. I believe terrytibbs (and Matthew himself) was one of the prime examples here.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood, I see now how trolling could be so much worse than someone stealing hundreds even thousands of dollars worth of items, money, and bitcoin.
The thing about scammers, they don't pay back shit.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
August 14, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
I'm sorry to say that, but I kinda agree with Viceroy.
If you can edit a poll and remove entries which votes are consolidated with next entry, the problem lies in the polling system.

Maybe you can just flag Matthew so that he's not allowed to post polls, and let him voice his opinions again?  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
August 14, 2013, 01:00:19 PM
He was trolling continuously. He hasn't changed: He edited that poll after people had already voted to create misleading results.

Honestly losing more and more respect.. You're telling me you're against trolling so much to 'ban' someone, but you let scammers walk around free with a tag? Whats wrong with that picture? Sounds like censorship to me.

P.S. MNW isn't someone who I'm affiliated with, so a neutral party that isn't pleased on whats going down.

Well, the forum policy since a long time ago was to ban trolls (as they impede the speech of others), and tag scammers. Scammers aren't banned outright as they could repay and resolve their issues, but they might still be banned if they start trolling. I believe terrytibbs (and Matthew himself) was one of the prime examples here.
Activity: 154
Fica Tranquilo
August 14, 2013, 07:55:05 AM
I always enjoyed Matthews posts & antics. Maybe I'm a minority.

I miss his posts as well. They at least shed a different light on some topics.
legendary
Activity: 1311
August 14, 2013, 12:54:42 PM

Activity: 924
Merit: 501
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
August 14, 2013, 11:23:31 AM
He edited that poll after people had already voted to create misleading results.

I can't speak to the rest but personally I find the poll system infuriating.  I cannot, personally, seem to edit a poll and make any sense of the answer if people have already voted in the poll.

1. Viceroy, you were actually caught doing what Mathew was banned (resetting poll results and deleting inconvenient poll questions you yourself devised) - evidence: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2561708

2. Theymos, why don't you ban Viceroy?
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
August 14, 2013, 11:16:59 AM
He got banned again?

LOL!

That's what happens when you give Site Admin the shits!

Cheesy
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
August 14, 2013, 10:49:05 AM
Banned for trolling? But it's different when you're VIP-donator?

Matthew donated 10 BTC. There have been several VIPs and Donators who were banned (eg. Goat) or scammer-tagged (eg. pirateat40, cablepair).

That is censorship.  Why are you NOT supporting free speech?  How is Matthew any more a troll than Inaba?

How does censoring Matthew and not censoring Inaba help the community in ANY way? 

Surely you cannot believe BFL is legitimate... or your buddy TF's illegal ponzi scheme and unregulated bank.  Of course those guys advertise.  Personally I find it disturbing that you show TF with positive default trust and you still allow both he and Inaba to advertise.... yet you ban Matthew who is a friend to the community. 

Your censorship model CLEARLY favors the bitcoin millionaires over the community.  You are now acting just like any government favoring those who benefit you while crushing any opposing view that doesn't fit with your model of capital redistribution.    Just like the ignore button favors shutting up the vocal. 

Your lack of a 'support' button and only an option of an 'ignore' button causes the entire community to have negative feelings about vocal posters (like matthew) and these people never get to see all his followers.  I'm confident a 'support' button would glow even brighter than his 'ignore' button.

You are gaming the system and specifically shutting down vocal members in favor of those who never say anything controversial.  Why do you fear free speech so much?  Clearly you are not an American because we WORSHIP free speech.

You are acting no differently than the governments who wish us to use their FIAT, no different at all.  No different from Assad who would rather kill off his population than allow dissenting views in Syria.  It makes no sense to ban someone for expressing their ideas and not ban known scammers like Inaba.

My two cents.

legendary
Activity: 1498
August 14, 2013, 02:00:15 AM
Well, then by that logic, where on this website does it say it's not run by aliens and Al Gore? Hell, theymos could be Elvis! And I'm eating jello.

That is just going to the extreme.

(https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/why-some-donators-are-in-default-trust-list-262437)

So I am going to donator so I can troll and not get banned, I knew the rich keep getting richer, and on this forum the trolls figure out how not to get ban. Thanks for the secret.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
August 14, 2013, 07:44:27 AM

Matthew donated 10 BTC. There have been several VIPs and Donators who were banned (eg. Goat) or scammer-tagged (eg. pirateat40, cablepair).
Activity: 369
August 14, 2013, 04:13:22 AM

I feel the same.

Some of the posts were actually quite helpful and informative.

I can think of many who are much worse trolls and/or abusers, yet aren't banned.
Activity: 761
Merit: 500
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
August 14, 2013, 03:17:24 AM
legendary
August 14, 2013, 01:39:10 AM
This is just plain wrong, and censorship. I think if this continues this should be called the "unofficial bitcoin forum".
Is this the official bitcoin forum? I mean, I'm pretty sure bitcoin is about as decentralized as it gets. This forum in no way governs Bitcoin. It's more like a fanboy site that got popular. As for it's "censorship", anyone is welcome to go someplace else. It's just run by a few guys with some spare time on their hands. Hell, go make your own site if you want and call it the official bitcoin forum. This forum is no different than Facebook, 4chan, Reddit, or any other website and forum.

People consider this the official bitcoin forum since Satoshi was using it, is that not a valid conclusion?
Ehh.. not really. He stopped using this forum a long time ago. And Satoshi isn't Bitcoin. If Bill Gates used Facebook, does that make Facebook Microsoft's (Windows) official social media website? The dude didn't even operate this website as far as I am aware of. He's probably posted on many other websites as well. That doesn't make this site, or any others more or less special than another. Let alone official.

But then you're agreeing with me cause where on this site does it say unofficial? Plus Satoshi discussed bitcoin's directions here.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
August 14, 2013, 02:06:20 AM
Well, then by that logic, where on this website does it say it's not run by aliens and Al Gore? Hell, theymos could be Elvis! And I'm eating jello.

That is just going to the extreme.
My point exactly. By following that logic, it leaves you in a very grey area. Not matter how extreme the speculation is. Just because something doesn't claim it is not, doesn't mean that it is.

But to wrap this up: What I am saying is that no matter what happens on this forum, or any other website, it doesn't change Bitcoin. It's still running by itself, and will continue too long after the both of us are gone. This forum doesn't make or break Bitcoin anymore than any other website does.
legendary
Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072
quack
August 14, 2013, 01:52:59 AM

(https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/why-some-donators-are-in-default-trust-list-262437)

Against

- Troll newbies at Newbies-section to lose their bitcoins (bitstamp bitcoins) and call it a social experiment
- Without a permission, penetrate test a web page that you've sold to the victim.
- Still be at the default trust list that many of the even senior members know nothing about

...and something that has not happened straight here in the forums:
- Ask access or passwords to others' #bitcoin-otc/WoT accounts by PM'ing them. I hope nobody fell for this
legendary
August 14, 2013, 01:27:34 AM
This is just plain wrong, and censorship. I think if this continues this should be called the "unofficial bitcoin forum".
Is this the official bitcoin forum? I mean, I'm pretty sure bitcoin is about as decentralized as it gets. This forum in no way governs Bitcoin. It's more like a fanboy site that got popular. As for it's "censorship", anyone is welcome to go someplace else. It's just run by a few guys with some spare time on their hands. Hell, go make your own site if you want and call it the official bitcoin forum. This forum is no different than Facebook, 4chan, Reddit, or any other website and forum.

People consider this the official bitcoin forum since Satoshi was using it, is that not a valid conclusion?
legendary
I'd fight Gandhi.
August 14, 2013, 01:45:35 AM
Ehh.. not really. He stopped using this forum a long time ago. And Satoshi isn't Bitcoin. If Bill Gates used Facebook, does that make Facebook Microsoft's (Windows) official social media website? The dude didn't even operate this website as far as I am aware of. He's probably posted on many other websites as well. That doesn't make this site, or any others more or less special than another. Let alone official.
But then you're agreeing with me cause where on this site does it say unofficial?
legendary
I'd fight Gandhi.
August 14, 2013, 01:32:44 AM

legendary
August 14, 2013, 12:57:56 AM
See this is what I am not understanding, people can buy ads with false claims against companies, trick newbies into taking coins from them and be on the default trust list while making false claims against people.

But someone who is calling out people on scams is getting banned and labeled a troll?

This is just plain wrong, and censorship. I think if this continues this should be called the "unofficial bitcoin forum". Cause then you are lying to people about what politics are really taking place on here.
Pages:
Jump to: