Pages:
Author

Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED - page 16. (Read 23749 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
January 27, 2014, 02:03:11 PM
Why would the Winklevosses back a guy like Charlie Shrem?   A simple google search brings up articles that are very questionable and certainly disqualify him from ever being taken seriously as the leader of any business.   Love the one that states "I will never hire someone I have not gotten drunk or stoned with".  A little background check before writing a venture capital check?

yea, that is a weird one...
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
January 27, 2014, 02:01:07 PM
Why would the Winklevosses back a guy like Charlie Shrem?   A simple google search brings up articles that are very questionable and certainly disqualify him from ever being taken seriously as the leader of any business.   Love the one that states "I will never hire someone I have not gotten drunk or stoned with".  A little background check before writing a venture capital check?
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 27, 2014, 01:59:52 PM
If you knowingly facilitate the commission of a crime you have to expect that you risk facing consequences as a result...

The key to this is that he allegedly knew that the coins were being used for illegal activities... It makes no difference if it's Bitcoins or Dollars, you can't knowingly break the law without risking your freedom.

It's no big surprise.

That's why all the voters in America are criminals. They constantly vote for crime-lords in Government offices, who don't obey their Oath of Office to uphold the Constitution.

We're getting our freedom taken away as a result. Things like Bitcoin happen to be extending our freedoms a bit, and for a time.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
January 27, 2014, 01:59:20 PM
If you knowingly facilitate the commission of a crime you have to expect that you risk facing consequences as a result...

The key to this is that he allegedly knew that the coins were being used for illegal activities... It makes no difference if it's Bitcoins or Dollars, you can't knowingly break the law without risking your freedom.

It's no big surprise.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7VA7On91CNsJ:antilop.cc/sr/vendors/16af931d32.htm+&cd=26&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

**THE KING'S VIP CLUB**...Preferred Status, 9% fee on deposit of $1000 - $4000 [plus $5 deposit fee].........NO WAIT...NO LIMIT...NO FUSS.....

And don't think for one fuckin' minut they don't know who the King's VIPs are.
Activity: 364
January 27, 2014, 01:56:54 PM
This news is actually good.

IT seems this is just an extension of the SR investigation. And we all agree that SR was  detrimental to btc at this stage. This has nothing to do with the actual btc platform. In fact, in the statement released, there is more evidence that bitcoin as an entity will be left alone. :

"Truly innovative business models don't need to resort to old-fashioned law-breaking, and when Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ceo-of-winklevoss-backed-bitcoin-company-arrested-2014-01-27?link=MW_latest_news

all in all, its a fascinating development, but in a blazay kind of way.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 504
January 27, 2014, 01:52:57 PM

It's no big surprise.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
January 27, 2014, 01:50:35 PM
Governments and banks should be closed and owners arrested too.

FIAT money is getting used for illegal traffics.

FWIW, they aren't saying he's in trouble for using bitcoin. They are saying he's in trouble for KNOWINGLY facilitating those trades.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
January 27, 2014, 01:46:40 PM
I dont condone any of this but there's a double standard.  Not a single person at HSBC was arrested for laundering mexican drug cartel money.  Why is there this double standard?

Because the banksters own Congress.  It's completely fair and neutral treatment.  All you have to do to get the same treatment is buy a few Senators.  There are even pimps called lobbyists who can sell you a few.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 01:46:25 PM

THIS.
legendary
January 27, 2014, 01:45:40 PM

...along with a co-conspirator...

You're not goin' to believe who the co-conspirator is. I know!

Is it pirateat40? Please tell me it is pirateat40!

Did I say the c-c was male?

I was wrong! I was thinking it was his lady friend.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ceo-of-winklevoss-backed-bitcoin-company-arrested-2014-01-27?link=MW_latest_news
legendary
Activity: 1330
Bitcoin
January 27, 2014, 01:45:25 PM
wow. Charlie  70 million dollar finger chopped off?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 01:44:18 PM
Governments and banks should be closed and owners arrested too.

legendary
January 27, 2014, 01:42:11 PM

Did I say the c-c was male?
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 01:40:57 PM

Activity: 680
Merit: 500
January 27, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
Yep there was obviously some shady dealings going on there, that Shrem had a responsibility to report and this is what they will nail him on.

Also it's quite possible they will use cases like this to lay the groundwork so that if you ignore regulations or exempt people from them (like Shrem is accused of doing with Faeilla) that you will be assumed to be participating with illicit activity as they follow the breadcrumbs back to your exchange. In this case it looks like they have proof that he knew.
legendary
Activity: 1120
January 27, 2014, 01:37:34 PM
I have to admit I panicked at first, but when I read the criminal complaint from the DoJ I saw that they are alleging that Shrem KNEW what Faiella was doing.

if the feds come after you for unknowingly selling coins to someone who then uses them for something illegal, that is really, really bad for us. If they come after you for knowingly helping someone break the law, well, that should be expected.

The big problem is that the Bitcoin Foundation is about to get a HUGE black eye from this.
Activity: 840
Merit: 509
January 27, 2014, 01:34:57 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if there was some dirty tricks involved like there was with Silk Road.
legendary
January 27, 2014, 01:28:11 PM
CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED

The CEO of BitInstant, a Bitcoin exchange, has been arrested at JFK airport and charged with money laundering.

Charlie Shrem, along with a co-conspirator, is accused of selling over $1 million in Bitcoin to Silk Road users, who would then use them to buy drugs and other illicit items.

"Hiding behind their computers, both defendants are charged with knowingly contributing to and facilitating anonymous drug sales, earning substantial profits along the way," DEA agent James Hunt said in a release.

Shrem is a vice chairman at the Bitcoin Foundation. He is listed as a speaker at a Bitcoin conference in Miami that ended Sunday.

Shrem is believed to own a substantial amount of Bitcoin.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/report-ceo-of-major-bitcoin-exchange-arrested-2014-1#ixzz2rcQNGOtj

HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT!!!

Activity: 298
January 27, 2014, 01:20:46 PM
Next stop all the illegal gambling sites and unregistered securities issuers.........
legendary
Activity: 2008
Merit: 1028
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
January 27, 2014, 01:20:37 PM
Silk road was a farce from the very beginning. Who would ever join a website whose first online advertisement is this:

http://antilop.cc/sr/img/2011_01_23_silkroad420.wordpress.com.png

What a horrible idea... I really doubt this was started by a guy in Texas.
Pages:
Jump to: