Author

Topic: Claymore's Dual Ethereum AMD+NVIDIA GPU Miner v15.0 (Windows/Linux) - page 1141. (Read 6590565 times)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

I did buy the powered variety, unpowered ribbon risers are known to catch fire.

I had two rigs R9 270x + 7850 running 24/7 for 6 months with unpowered ribbon risers. None caught fire  Grin

Those dont pull that much wattage.  Try 290 and 390 OC or dual mining, whole different ball game.  They burn out even cheap power risers, don't think you'll be able to do it with unpowered risers when your rig is 3 GPU+
Activity: 441
Merit: 252

16X-16X RIBBON RISERS DON'T BEND WELL--

I bought a few, and could not use them because the would not bend as easily as a single USB 3.0 cable.  They would not fit my rig.  If there is any advantage to using them, I'll never know.  I did buy the powered variety, unpowered ribbon risers are known to catch fire.

QUESTION:  What is the difference, or improvement, in Version 6 of the wide USB 3.0 riser card?  The internet pics all look the same.         --scryptr

It looks like there is another new version since my latest order a month ago! yikes!

The newest as that picture @joaocha posted, has the voltage regulator tube and new capacitors. (Blue vs red/pink writing on the round capacitors.)  I just checked with my vendor and they highlight the new capacitors as well as the voltage regulator tube.

See this photo: http://imgur.com/hjWykTL

Version numbers vary by vendor.  My vendor was up to 6 last time I ordered.   Others are are 1.x but they're basically the same if you look at the board design and components. Subtle things like changing out the capacitor are hard to tell though!

We'll probably be putting in a new order soon as I've sold half my supply. I'll let you know when they arrive what "version" they're on by then. They'll probably have another new release by then!
Activity: 449
Thanks.  Looks like both the ASUS and MSI are Micron Memory.  =(
I am not sure if vendors use all Samsung or all Micron.  With my Sapphires so far, the 4GB cards are Micron, the 8GB are Samsung.  I would check GPU-Z, unless you are on Linux?
legendary
Activity: 1797
Merit: 1028

I had two rigs R9 270x + 7850 running 24/7 for 6 months with unpowered ribbon risers. None caught fire  Grin

LOW POWER GPUS--

I imagine that a 750ti card would not be a problem, either, as long as the motherboard could handle the power draw.  With a 280X-, or a 390X- multi-card rig a problem would occur.  Unpowered ribbon risers will catch fire if stressed.

Your risers did not.       --scryptr
Activity: 254
Merit: 100

You can use the PCIe 1x USB 3.0 powered riser in a 16x slot.  The little 1x card works because of the little gap in the slot that allows it to sit properly in a 16x slot.   I've had to wiggle it a tiny bit to make sure it was seated properly but other than that they work well. I am using those risers in 4 different 16x slots. They work with no issues.

The ribbon cables are different. When I realized I could use the PCIe 1x riser cards I quit using ribbon cables entirely.

Full disclosure: I sell these risers on ebay. (Version 6, newest riser)

I bought a few, and could not use them because the would not bend as easily as a single USB 3.0 cable.  They would not fit my rig.  If there is any advantage to using them, I'll never know.  I did buy the powered variety, unpowered ribbon risers are known to catch fire.

QUESTION:  What is the difference, or improvement, in Version 6 of the wide USB 3.0 riser card?  The internet pics all look the same.         --scryptr

check this
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OukAAOSwH3NXnBRU/s-l1600.jpg
legendary
Activity: 1564
Merit: 1027

legendary
Activity: 1797
Merit: 1028

You can use the PCIe 1x USB 3.0 powered riser in a 16x slot.  The little 1x card works because of the little gap in the slot that allows it to sit properly in a 16x slot.   I've had to wiggle it a tiny bit to make sure it was seated properly but other than that they work well. I am using those risers in 4 different 16x slots. They work with no issues.

The ribbon cables are different. When I realized I could use the PCIe 1x riser cards I quit using ribbon cables entirely.

legendary
There were some comments about running dual power supplies on 1 rig. I didn't see a proper explanation and someone said they thought it was the problem with their rig so let me explain.

You can run the second PSU a couple of ways.

Option 1:
Use a dual PSU cable that connects both PSUs to the motherboard. It is designed for dual PSU configurations. The cable runs connects the second PSU to the same ground so if you shutdown the power on the rig it properly shuts down the power on the second PSU.

Option 2:
Ground short plug
The plug goes into the slot where you'd normally connect your PSU to the motherboard. It completes the ground circuit so the PSU will turn on.  However it stays on and never turns off unless you use the switch on the back of the PSU or you shut down the power via surge protector or whatever. My EVGA G2 Gold came with the plug. I didn't have to buy one and I didn't have to try and make my own.

The problem comes in when people don't connect the second PSU properly. They don't have the right cable or the plug. They try and cross the wires to the MOBO or do other weird things to get the second PSU to work. As long as you don't do that you should be fine.

I could find photos if people need a better explanation.

I have a couple of these from the old days when I was a BTC miner

http://bitcoinware.net/products/antminer-jumper-switch-for-psu
There were some comments about running dual power supplies on 1 rig. I didn't see a proper explanation and someone said they thought it was the problem with their rig so let me explain.

You can run the second PSU a couple of ways.

Option 1:
Use a dual PSU cable that connects both PSUs to the motherboard. It is designed for dual PSU configurations. The cable runs connects the second PSU to the same ground so if you shutdown the power on the rig it properly shuts down the power on the second PSU.

Option 2:
Ground short plug
The plug goes into the slot where you'd normally connect your PSU to the motherboard. It completes the ground circuit so the PSU will turn on.  However it stays on and never turns off unless you use the switch on the back of the PSU or you shut down the power via surge protector or whatever. My EVGA G2 Gold came with the plug. I didn't have to buy one and I didn't have to try and make my own.

The problem comes in when people don't connect the second PSU properly. They don't have the right cable or the plug. They try and cross the wires to the MOBO or do other weird things to get the second PSU to work. As long as you don't do that you should be fine.

I could find photos if people need a better explanation.

Anyone running 5 or 6 GPU NVIDIA 1070 rigs?  I can get it to hash at proper speed now but they will start crashing if I run more than 3 per Rig. 

The 1070 needs about 150W each from the wall. So if you have 6 cards, you need at least 1100W power supply. 

I have a EVGA G2 1300w, it's not power.  I also test everything with my Killawatt on the 120V before moving it to my 240V garage setup.  I have many AMD rigs just first time dealing with EVGA and seems like there's so many caveats.

Now I get the following errors and it would crash
GPU0: Gpuminer cu_kd failed 30 (28), unknown error
NVML : cannot get current temperature , error 999
NVML : cannot get fan speed, error 999

Also what epoch level should I set for these GPU?  There was another error I had previous with the DAG file size where they suggest looking at readme.file

Activity: 1071
Merit: 253
Anyone running 5 or 6 GPU NVIDIA 1070 rigs?  I can get it to hash at proper speed now but they will start crashing if I run more than 3 per Rig. 

The 1070 needs about 150W each from the wall. So if you have 6 cards, you need at least 1100W power supply.
Activity: 254

Maibe power Related?
legendary

For your 1x slot, you can only use your top option.  For 16x PCI-E slot, you can use either 1.  They will both work but I prefer the USB cable version

Thanks! Already ordered 12 of those. Just to start...  Grin

For your 1x slot, you can only use your top option.  For 16x PCI-E slot, you can use either 1.  They will both work but I prefer the USB cable version
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1325
Miners developer
getting poor hashrates 3.5 mhs for eth and 35 mhs for drc with this miner. I am considering upgrading to the gtx 1060 but stuck with gtx 960 for now

Check OP:

NVIDIA DRIVERS:
9xx cards in Windows 7 x64: just use latest/recent drivers from Nvidia website (for example, 368.81). Note that latest 372.54 is slower than 368.81.
9xx cards in Windows 10 x64: you have to use old drivers (for example, 352.xx) and miner built for cuda6.5.
10xx cards in Windows 7 x64: just use latest 372.54 drivers from Nvidia website.
10xx cards in Windows 10 x64: just use latest 372.54 drivers from Nvidia website, note that you must have Win10 Anniversary update.
Activity: 209
getting poor hashrates 3.5 mhs for eth and 35 mhs for drc with this miner. I am considering upgrading to the gtx 1060 but stuck with gtx 960 for now
Upgrade to the 1060 either version or the 1070 as the 950's and 960's can't hack it with ETH anymore.  Other option is to use windows 7 and old driver or Linux and old driver.
legendary
Activity: 151
Merit: 10
Jump to: