Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 36. (Read 274783 times)

Activity: 190
Merit: 100
Pablo,

Do you think you could get the developers to make the graph on the engine tab change to coorespond with the main exchange chosen in the drop down menu?
These are what I've been using on BTC-e. They're not doing so well over the last 2 days (lost $45 so far), but I stick with it because of their backtesting yield.

Activity: 210
18/38 30min (BTC-e) is looking pretty good. anyone else running similar?
I use an 18/34, 30-minute setup on BTC-e.  It has mostly worked quite well!
My bot is currently reacting to the volatility on BTC-e by making a couple of bad trades. It's a case of where you have to take the bad trades with the good, with the knowingness that there will eventuaLly be bigger good trades than bad ones.

But it sure is painful to watch the bot lose $40 & $60 at a time on these bad trades.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Hi,

It's bloody hard not to interfere with the bot. That being said for the fortnight we've had it we would have made a tidy profit had it not been for the dog pulling out the network cable the other day.

18/38 30min (BTC-e) is looking pretty good. anyone else running similar?
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

Dear Pablo:

Want to know do you have plan includ LTC exchange @BTCE ?

Hi Paul Smiley,
   The next version of Butter-Bot (V3) should include altcoin support on BTC-E: we aim to have this available early next year.

I hope that answers your questions, please let me know if you need anything at all.

Pablo.
legendary
The license key start when we got them on email ? Why not make it start count when we activate it ? I activate it today and it said will expired 3 more days

Hi BlueMonkey Smiley,
  The demo starts when you download the file, but please feel free to download another copy, you are not limited to one Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0

Dear Pablo:

Want to know do you have plan includ LTC exchange @BTCE ?
Activity: 196
Need any help ? Just PM me
The license key start when we got them on email ? Why not make it start count when we activate it ? I activate it today and it said will expired 3 more days
Does anyone here do any kind of trading in addition to trading bitcoin with ButterBot? I'm wondering about learning/tinkering with something new. Like day trading on the stock narket maybe.

If anyone knows about that, could you recommend a trading bot & an exchange (or equivalent- whatever they're called) please?

Thanks.

Wouldn't pausing the bot be like restarting it? This way it is like starting from 0 all over again?

No! Not at all.  By "pause" I mean that I leave the bot running, but disable the trading engine.  That way the bot won't make trades when I don't want it to.  I just re-enable the trading engine when I want it to kick back in.

It's not "starting over" at all.  My profits don't disappear just because I pause the software!
Activity: 168
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
Currently using following settings on MtGox:

Short EMA: 10
Long EMA: 21
Frequency: 30 minutes
Buy Thresholds: 0/0.25
Sell Thresholds: 0/0.25
Tick Offset: Anything

I always seem to make a small loss here... any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I have generally found the volatility at MtGox to cause issues with intervals less than 1 hour.  Most of the time I run it at 2 hours, and FYI I use a 9/17 EMA split instead of a 10/21 in order to make the trend lines a bit more sensitive at that interval.  I've seen some others use a 7/15, but I haven't really tried that.

Also, as Pablo points out:  using EMA trading, about 70% of your trades will be small losses.  It's the 30% of large-gain trades that will compensate you in the long term -- and EMA trading is a long-term strategy. 

There are ways to minimize the small losses if you're thoughtful, keep on top of the market data, and adjust your settings once in a while.  For the last two days or so, for example, the MtGox market has been VERY sideways (the EMA diffs and price fluctuations are small, and the trendlines *slightly* cross over and over again; also, the trading volumes are low).  At times like this, I generally like to pause the bot and hold on to my Bitcoin; when the volumes pick up again (likely Sunday night, when China starts a new week), I will unpause it and let the bot take over.  Another option would be to temporarily increase the buy/sell thresholds to keep the bot from trading. 

Wouldn't pausing the bot be like restarting it? This way it is like starting from 0 all over again?

No, it is not.  It does exactly what it says; pauses.

I also use this feature, in fact, am "paused" now as well.  The important thing to remember is to "unpause" only when the bot is in the same status as when you paused; i.e. green if you are in, red if you are out.  The exception is when you actually want to trigger the instant trade that will result from un-pausing the bot in an opposing position.
Activity: 231
After buying the 1 year license, putting it in and restarting chrome now it says next to the little triangle

API: connected
MTGOX: disconnected
BTC-E:disconnected
BITSTAMP: disconnected

My API's for gox and btc-e are correct... am I good or is there a network problem right now?

The fact that the bot knows what my balances on both sites are I am gonna guess good but it doesn't look right.

Naelr

Hey Naelr Smiley,
   99.5% of the time this is caused by one of two things:

1. Your key and/or secret were copied incorrectly.
2. Your API keys were not given both "trade" and "get info" privileges on BTC-E (Bitstamp in contrast requires 6 permissions).

Please drop me an email if that doesn't help, I will be happy to help you from there Smiley.

Pablo.
[email protected]

They were working during the trial... but for some reason after I put in the new license key after I bought it they stopped.. I recreated new API's and copied my keys and secrets  and now they are connected... thanks everyone.  It would appear it "forgot" the secret keys.

Naelr

I always seem to make a small loss here... any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I have generally found the volatility at MtGox to cause issues with intervals less than 1 hour.  Most of the time I run it at 2 hours, and FYI I use a 9/17 EMA split instead of a 10/21 in order to make the trend lines a bit more sensitive at that interval.  I've seen some others use a 7/15, but I haven't really tried that.

Also, as Pablo points out:  using EMA trading, about 70% of your trades will be small losses.  It's the 30% of large-gain trades that will compensate you in the long term -- and EMA trading is a long-term strategy. 

There are ways to minimize the small losses if you're thoughtful, keep on top of the market data, and adjust your settings once in a while.  For the last two days or so, for example, the MtGox market has been VERY sideways (the EMA diffs and price fluctuations are small, and the trendlines *slightly* cross over and over again; also, the trading volumes are low).  At times like this, I generally like to pause the bot and hold on to my Bitcoin; when the volumes pick up again (likely Sunday night, when China starts a new week), I will unpause it and let the bot take over.  Another option would be to temporarily increase the buy/sell thresholds to keep the bot from trading. 

legendary

Hi Tnkflx Smiley.
  As previously discussed on the thread, EMA will actually make about 70% small loss trades and 30% profit trades (which should cover any losses plus a healthy profit over the long term). So this is expected behavior, please keep in mind that we are talking of this as expected behavior over the long term, whatever you see in the very short term is likely the result of mraket randomness; you need to look at long term results to identify trends.

Please let me know if you need anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 349
Merit: 250

legendary
After buying the 1 year license, putting it in and restarting chrome now it says next to the little triangle

API: connected
MTGOX: disconnected
BTC-E:disconnected
BITSTAMP: disconnected

My API's for gox and btc-e are correct... am I good or is there a network problem right now?

The fact that the bot knows what my balances on both sites are I am gonna guess good but it doesn't look right.

Naelr

Hey Naelr Smiley,
   99.5% of the time this is caused by one of two things:

1. Your key and/or secret were copied incorrectly.
2. Your API keys were not given both "trade" and "get info" privileges on BTC-E (Bitstamp in contrast requires 6 permissions).

Please drop me an email if that doesn't help, I will be happy to help you from there Smiley.

Pablo.
[email protected]
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Are you like these guys?
i wouldnt really recommend this bot unless u stay connected 24/7 .. otherwise it will just loose your money
That is a primary assumption is it not?

nope, i tested it, if he sells BTC at 900$ , for example, and u shut down computer , on next restart he will buy BTC at 1000$ with no problem ...

If you're running mining software 24/7, it's not a big deal to have the bot running all the time. Checking how the miners are doing is a bit of a ritual and extending that to checking on how the bot is doing is great fun and I find myself nodding my head and grinning with the miners and bot just doing their thing, I kick back and smile some more.

-----

And following on from the earlier comments above about settings, I'm trialling these settings on the Bitstamp exchange, they're an ever so slight modification of the numbers suggested by NginUS and I was curious about the suggestion to try negative numbers so this is what I'll run with for the next few days:

Short EMA: 7
Long EMA: 15
Frequency: 2 Hours
Buy Thresholds: -0.05/0.25
Sell Thresholds: -0.05/0.1

I've waited a few days to double check my earlier settings and my conclusion is that I was being to aggressive using the starter settings with a 15 minute frequency, it just didn't play out and most trades would clip a small loss and obviously there's only a finite amount of time you can do that without having to add more funds to the account, but I wanted to give it a reasonable test on those previous 'modified starter' settings as I'd been tweaking them probably too often and sometimes you have to see what it is you're doing wrong, before you can start getting things right.

These new settings seem to back test well over a year, not that great over a week (although who can really argue with a 14% gain in a week?), but any profit right now will be better than the losses that I've been sustaining, losses I might add, that I am sure are down to 'user error' rather than any problems with the functionality of the bot and like I said earlier, I'm only using a small amount of money while I climb the learning curve. I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Thanks very much once again for all your help folks, it is greatly appreciated.

Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: