Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 81. (Read 274784 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
It’s hard as hell to sit tight when the price of BTC hits 240.

Am I the only one of us Butter Bot Users that gets nervous about this??

So I have not manually sold and I am still Long but man my mind is fighting me on this..

This morning I get up and the price is at 190 and the Bot is still reporting Green..      That’s a BIG chunk of change to still be reporting Green..  (I know… It’s the math behind EMA)

Not being a EMA expect(That’s what I have the Bot for) it seems to me it will take the Price going down to the 170’s or 180’s before it will trigger a sell..

Just hard for me to see 240 we could manually sell or wait and lose 70 and let the Bot sell at 170..

Yes I know the flip side is what if it went up to 300..

Uggggggggggg  I hate this..  LOL

Or am I the only dumb one that has not sold?HuhHuh

Steady as she goes friend, just keep holding out. When i hit the bed lastnight one of the exchanges showed $204 I think, and when I wokeup today the bot sold for $184. That was fine because I made a nice profit, I was holding the coins for much less than that. I need to tweak my settings a bit so it's a hair more sensitive on the sell so I don't have as much gap between the peak and the dive.

Remember to play with your settings in test mode and talk to folks and see what they use.

But, just hold on and it'll work.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
It’s hard as hell to sit tight when the price of BTC hits 240.

Am I the only one of us Butter Bot Users that gets nervous about this??

So I have not manually sold and I am still Long but man my mind is fighting me on this..

This morning I get up and the price is at 190 and the Bot is still reporting Green..      That’s a BIG chunk of change to still be reporting Green..  (I know… It’s the math behind EMA)

Not being a EMA expect(That’s what I have the Bot for) it seems to me it will take the Price going down to the 170’s or 180’s before it will trigger a sell..

Just hard for me to see 240 we could manually sell or wait and lose 70 and let the Bot sell at 170..

Yes I know the flip side is what if it went up to 300..

Uggggggggggg  I hate this..  LOL

Or am I the only dumb one that has not sold?HuhHuh

legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
Is anyone else experiencing problem in fetching data from BTC-e?
My bot is unable to do so in the last hours (MtGox and Bitstamp still work correctly).

Yep, had the same problem overnight, but seems better now.

Should be all fixed now Smiley.

Pablo.
legendary
Hey Pablo,

my bot triggered a buy order earlier today on Bitstamp (@198.4 USD), but didn't buy in with all USD - 2.08 USD were left in the wallet.
Until now, the bot has triggered two additional buy orders (i get those emails everytime, which is a very nice feature btw.), but the money was't touched again.
I already disabled/enabled trading, with no success.
May this be caused by Bitstamp lagging all the day? Or is there perhaps some kind of issue with the bot?
Anyway, it's just $2.08, so no big deal at all - but I wanted to let you know.

Best,
Grinny

Hi Grinny Smiley,
  Because of the way the Bitstamp API works, we can't always trigger a single buy for all your funds, sometime we must trigger multiple buys and there is occasionally a small remainder that isn't traded. We will be tweaking this but it's something that just happens with the Bitstamp API.

Please let me know if you need anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 168
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
My bot is unable to do so in the last hours (MtGox and Bitstamp still work correctly).

Yep, had the same problem overnight, but seems better now.
Activity: 390
Merit: 250
Hey Pablo,

my bot triggered a buy order earlier today on Bitstamp (@198.4 USD), but didn't buy in with all USD - 2.08 USD were left in the wallet.
Until now, the bot has triggered two additional buy orders (i get those emails everytime, which is a very nice feature btw.), but the money was't touched again.
I already disabled/enabled trading, with no success.
May this be caused by Bitstamp lagging all the day? Or is there perhaps some kind of issue with the bot?
Anyway, it's just $2.08, so no big deal at all - but I wanted to let you know.

Best,
Grinny
legendary
Is BTCChina planned to be added?  Having no fees definitely opens up more frequent trading strategies...

Hi Smiley,
   Yes, but not immediately, we will add it as soon as we push out some of the major services we are currently working on.

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Smiley

Pablo.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0

really?  the website itself (bitstamp) has been down for about 10m

OK it just fetched all the data, finally Smiley Let's hope it keeps doing so!
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

really?  the website itself (bitstamp) has been down for about 10m
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Activity: 608
Merit: 500
Is BTCChina planned to be added?  Having no fees definitely opens up more frequent trading strategies...
Activity: 168
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
This Butter community is damn near as exciting as BTC itself.  Wink
Activity: 406
Hi Pablo,

Just an idea here. Please shut me down if it's not a worthwhile venture.

Would it be possible to create a bot that could perform arbitrage trades WITHIN an exchange such as BTC-E?

My reason for asking is that BTC-E has various Alt coins as well USD & Russian RUB.  Would it be possible for a bot to detect an arbitrage opportunity between the Alt coins as well the currencies (USD/RUB)?

Thanks Sir.

Hi Pangia Smiley,
   I think this is a great idea and we had an internal discussion about this. There are certain cons to doing this type of bot that I won't go into here to save time, but basically we decided to build another type of bot (secret for now) that although it is not specifically designed for arbitrage, it should eventually let you do this type of thing. There will not be a specifically built arbitrage bot however, for the time being.

Please let me know if I may be of service in any way Smiley.

Pablo.

AWESOME!!!!

And the "Secret for Now" has me honestly excited.

Thanks for all the GREAT work that you and your team do.
legendary
Hi Pablo,

Would it be possible to create a bot that could perform arbitrage trades WITHIN an exchange such as BTC-E?

My reason for asking is that BTC-E has various Alt coins as well USD & Russian RUB.  Would it be possible for a bot to detect an arbitrage opportunity between the Alt coins as well the currencies (USD/RUB)?

Thanks Sir.

Hi Pangia Smiley,
   I think this is a great idea and we had an internal discussion about this. There are certain cons to doing this type of bot that I won't go into here to save time, but basically we decided to build another type of bot (secret for now) that although it is not specifically designed for arbitrage, it should eventually let you do this type of thing. There will not be a specifically built arbitrage bot however, for the time being.

Please let me know if I may be of service in any way Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 406
Hi Pablo,

My reason for asking is that BTC-E has various Alt coins as well USD & Russian RUB.  Would it be possible for a bot to detect an arbitrage opportunity between the Alt coins as well the currencies (USD/RUB)?

Thanks Sir.
legendary
Thanks for the quick reply.
I see your point with EMA as a long term analysis as well, so maybe the spot sell isn't the way we get this fixed.

Maybe the simple way is the way to go.

There is this row above the table which shows "Min. Profit / Max. Profit", right?
What about adding a line: "Final Balance: X BTC (X USD)" in our case: 0.7 btc (138 USD) | cryptotrader does it that way btw.
In general: The profit is shown twice, above the table and within the table, so maybe some space can be saved here...?

Grinny,
 This is a great suggestion, I will add it to the board and see what the developers think.

Let me know if you have any other ideas Smiley.

Pablo.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I see your point with EMA as a long term analysis as well, so maybe the spot sell isn't the way we get this fixed.

Maybe the simple way is the way to go.

There is this row above the table which shows "Min. Profit / Max. Profit", right?
What about adding a line: "Final Balance: X BTC (X USD)" in our case: 0.7 btc (138 USD) | cryptotrader does it that way btw.
In general: The profit is shown twice, above the table and within the table, so maybe some space can be saved here...?
legendary
Hey Pablo,

I think the bot's Profit Analysis shown in the backtest is a little bit misleading, because it ignores the actual value of your BTC after the chosen period is over IF you didn't sell them.
Or in short: The bot doesn't calculate the profit for buy&hold right.

Example:

1 week / 100 USD (EMA/threshold, etc. doesn't matter)

Time               Type    Price      Value    Profit
16.10.2013 21:45:00   buy   141.260    $99.50   -0.50%

As shown in the example, the bot bought approx. 0.7 BTC @ $141.26 one week ago for a total of $99.50.
Today, the BTC price is at $198, so our 0.7 BTC would be worth $138.

This is not a loss of 0.5% as stated by the bot, it's a profit of 38.7% within one week!

This issue appears very often and kills backtesting over short periods. So I suggest to add a hypothetical sell at the end of all calculations.

Best,
Grinny

Hey Grinny,
   I think I see your point. Basically the back testing takes into account the last trade, since the last action was a "buy" and that buy was at a small loss with respect to the previous trade that's what you see on your screen. The profit/loss analysis is made with respect to the last trade, hence, when the bot sells from this bull run you will see the massive profit you are talking about.

A hypothetical sell at spot is an interesting idea, but it sort of defeats the purpose of back testing as a long term indicator (as said ad nauseaum EMA is a long term strategy and best back tested over the long term) and may encourage people to trade by hand given the at hand profit.

Someone was discussing a few days ago how they would like to manually trade because they would make a substantial amount of money by selling, BTC was around 190 at this point if memory serves. If back testing had included the hypothetical spot profit they may well have missed out on the current 207 price.

I'm not shooting down the idea, I think it's worth looking into and I will float it internally, I'm just thinking of possible drawbacks of including unexecuted trades in the back testing.

Keep them ideas coming Smiley.

Pablo.

Hey Pablo,

I think the bot's Profit Analysis shown in the backtest is a little bit misleading, because it ignores the actual value of your BTC after the chosen period is over IF you didn't sell them.
Or in short: The bot doesn't calculate the profit for buy&hold right.

Example:

1 week / 100 USD (EMA/threshold, etc. doesn't matter)

Time               Type    Price      Value    Profit
16.10.2013 21:45:00   buy   141.260    $99.50   -0.50%

As shown in the example, the bot bought approx. 0.7 BTC @ $141.26 one week ago for a total of $99.50.
Today, the BTC price is at $198, so our 0.7 BTC would be worth $138.

This is not a loss of 0.5% as stated by the bot, it's a profit of 38.7% within one week!

This issue appears very often and kills backtesting over short periods. So I suggest to add a hypothetical sell at the end of all calculations.

Best,
Grinny

legendary
i guess the bot can win money just if the price crash, right?
i notice the price went up very quickly those days,

Hi Luicon Smiley,
   Price is not really the main factor in bot profitability but rather volatility is more important. Volatile trends manifesting themselves will increase bot profitability.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Pablo.
Pages:
Jump to: