Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 82. (Read 274784 times)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250
i guess the bot can win money just if the price crash, right?
i notice the price went up very quickly those days,
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

Really you should not be using the BOT if you do not understand that it is not 'willy nilly', the whole point is that over time you will see an increase over a 'normal' human trader, but that may include  taking it in the ass once in a while....
There is a 'run test' function and whilst it is a bit basic, it will give you an idea.

For example the recommended settings would have made a significant loss on Mtgox over the past few days.

It gave me enough of an idea to understand the  functionality is not suitable for trading in such a market at the moment, as it stands the BOT is not quite polished enough, and yep I know it makes money, but is also takes rather more 'hits' than it should.

Personally I'm of the mind that the product is in need of significantly more 'safety mechanisms', but I also do not think that a simple 'stop loss' is the answer, specifically because it can be exploited by other traders and in some cases may well be a significant contributing factor to  a 'flash crash'.

That said and despite the BOT going mad and clearing out all my FIAT, I have still managed to manually trade the account to a significantly better position that the BOT over the last two days.
There are some rather 'shitty' patterns emerging from gox at the moment indicating some very rough BOT trading algorithms.

I agree with your assessment.

It takes more hits than it really should. Which like it or not, deducts from future gains.

Right now I am almost finished writing my own arbitrage bot and testing it through it's paces. I too would like Butter Bot to add certain real time simulation features. I think a simulation feature is better than turning on the bot and letting it do trading. This will help you get an idea of the decisions the bot makes in different situations without risking BTC or USD.

------------------------

I would love it if they made a "secure-bot" to "get you out" of the market in the event of a flash crash. Just that feature alone is very useful if you don't intend to do actual EMA based trading. If you do want a bot to watch the current market conditions on a continual basis butter bot would be a good start if you understand the settings.

I think they should package this separate from the normal butter bot set of features.

-------------------------

There are also other types of already coded software based on ADX that don't take anywhere near "the number of hits" that butter bot takes. (not butter bots fault as ADX is just a better indicator IMO)

There is one publicly available but someone decided the neuter the public code so that it didn't do anything other than prevent losses. I back tested the public version and while it wasn't written to make a profit, it back tested to the beginning of the year and retained 99% value of the currency traded. Had someone with experience redone it to actually "make a profit" it would have no doubt been better than the EMA based bots.

Future version of butter bot will come with different strategies so that people can choose whatever type they prefer.

Hey Smiley,
  All good ideas!

V4 should come with alternate strategy modules, and we are looking at releasing a new and improved trading engine for Butter in the near future to make it even more profitable. Stay tuned.

Pablo.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003

Really you should not be using the BOT if you do not understand that it is not 'willy nilly', the whole point is that over time you will see an increase over a 'normal' human trader, but that may include  taking it in the ass once in a while....
There is a 'run test' function and whilst it is a bit basic, it will give you an idea.

For example the recommended settings would have made a significant loss on Mtgox over the past few days.

It gave me enough of an idea to understand the  functionality is not suitable for trading in such a market at the moment, as it stands the BOT is not quite polished enough, and yep I know it makes money, but is also takes rather more 'hits' than it should.

Personally I'm of the mind that the product is in need of significantly more 'safety mechanisms', but I also do not think that a simple 'stop loss' is the answer, specifically because it can be exploited by other traders and in some cases may well be a significant contributing factor to  a 'flash crash'.

That said and despite the BOT going mad and clearing out all my FIAT, I have still managed to manually trade the account to a significantly better position that the BOT over the last two days.
There are some rather 'shitty' patterns emerging from gox at the moment indicating some very rough BOT trading algorithms.

I agree with your assessment.

It takes more hits than it really should. Which like it or not, deducts from future gains.

Right now I am almost finished writing my own arbitrage bot and testing it through it's paces. I too would like Butter Bot to add certain real time simulation features. I think a simulation feature is better than turning on the bot and letting it do trading. This will help you get an idea of the decisions the bot makes in different situations without risking BTC or USD.

------------------------

I would love it if they made a "secure-bot" to "get you out" of the market in the event of a flash crash. Just that feature alone is very useful if you don't intend to do actual EMA based trading. If you do want a bot to watch the current market conditions on a continual basis butter bot would be a good start if you understand the settings.

I think they should package this separate from the normal butter bot set of features.

-------------------------

There are also other types of already coded software based on ADX that don't take anywhere near "the number of hits" that butter bot takes. (not butter bots fault as ADX is just a better indicator IMO)

There is one publicly available but someone decided the neuter the public code so that it didn't do anything other than prevent losses. I back tested the public version and while it wasn't written to make a profit, it back tested to the beginning of the year and retained 99% value of the currency traded. Had someone with experience redone it to actually "make a profit" it would have no doubt been better than the EMA based bots.

Future version of butter bot will come with different strategies so that people can choose whatever type they prefer.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
Sorry, if this has been asked before, but is it possible to run two instances of butterbot with different settings using the same key?
Or to be more precise: Will it be possible to run two instances in v3, using one bot for BTC and one for LTC (with the same key)?

Hi Smiley,

You can run two instances of the bot with your same license key on either the same system or different computers. Running on your same system is a tad involved but on different computers it is as easy as install and run, You must use different exchange API keys for each bot however-

Please let me know if you need anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.

Hi Pablo.

I would be interested to know how to run multiple instances on the same machine.  I am running multiple instances on multiple machines right now, as each it tuned for the specific exchange.

You can run it by running multiple profiles:

It's pretty easy, here's a description on how to set it up: http://cybernetnews.com/chrome-multiple-profiles/

Pablo.

Thanks Pablo, perfect!
Cheesy
legendary
Sorry, if this has been asked before, but is it possible to run two instances of butterbot with different settings using the same key?
Or to be more precise: Will it be possible to run two instances in v3, using one bot for BTC and one for LTC (with the same key)?

Hi Smiley,

You can run two instances of the bot with your same license key on either the same system or different computers. Running on your same system is a tad involved but on different computers it is as easy as install and run, You must use different exchange API keys for each bot however-

Pablo.

Hi Pablo.

I would be interested to know how to run multiple instances on the same machine.  I am running multiple instances on multiple machines right now, as each it tuned for the specific exchange.

You can run it by running multiple profiles:

It's pretty easy, here's a description on how to set it up: http://cybernetnews.com/chrome-multiple-profiles/

Pablo.

Hi Smiley,

Pablo.

Hi Pablo.

legendary

Hi Smiley,

Pablo.
Activity: 390
legendary
My bots all stopped getting data from BitStamp @ 0700 this morning (running on multiple machines, so each exchange has tuned settings).

Anybody else seeing this?

Sean,
  We will track this down and get back to you ASAP, it may have to do with some back end work we are doing.

Please drop me a message if you don't hear from me by tomorrow AM.

Pablo.

My BitStamp has apparently come back online...thank you sir!!

*Haven't really seen any sort of profitability from my limited use of the trial. Any plans on supporting other currencies as well as adding additional exchanges (mcxnow of particular interest to me atm)?

Hi Nwfella Smiley,
   We have plans to add other exchanges in the mid term. Altcoins on BTC-E will most likely be a part of V3.

Right now we are devoting all our resources to developing a hosting service for the bot; once that's done we will push out V3 as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions Smiley.

Pablo.
legendary
My bots all stopped getting data from BitStamp @ 0700 this morning (running on multiple machines, so each exchange has tuned settings).

Sean,
  We will track this down and get back to you ASAP, it may have to do with some back end work we are doing.

Pablo.

Hey Smiley,
   Bitstamp added a restriction to the API (without notice...) which
our backend ran into, so it couldn't load the prices anymore. It's
fixed now so no one should be experiencing this issue anymore.

Please drop me a line if anyone needs anything at all Smiley.

Pablo.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
Trying out the demo for this, would like to utilize this for a stop loss function for this software on bitstamp. I don't wish to have the bot actively trading. Is there setting that will allow the stop loss feature to activate during a crash, but doesn't have the bot making trades all willy nilly?

Hi Greenbits Smiley,
   You could use high settings on your thresholds, like 10 and 15 on each.

We would also suggest high settings on stop loss but that's really up to you. Stop loss activation shuts the bot off.

This is not what the bot was designed for, but there are a handful of customers who do it like this.

Pablo.

Ah, I didn't not see this post before I last posted, my apologies. Will test out these new recommended settings, and I understand this is not the "proper" usage of this and have appropriate expectations. Thanks! After evaluation will strongly consider purchase of this product, I appreciate the work that was put into this, and the level of support provided to the customers.

Green
legendary
Trying out the demo for this, would like to utilize this for a stop loss function for this software on bitstamp. I don't wish to have the bot actively trading. Is there setting that will allow the stop loss feature to activate during a crash, but doesn't have the bot making trades all willy nilly?

Exactly. Which is why I have no wish to use the product in this manner. No problem with the math behind the software; I just am of the mind that a reasonably informed rational market participant is more effective that a piece of code.

And, I disagree. There is plenty of profit potential in the current market. Unfortunately, that means monitoring the price and order book in real time. It sucks much ass.

I suppose you are right. I guess I actually don't have a use for this software then. I need stop loss functionality with Bitstamp, and upon later inspection  this doesn't provide that, or I have been unable to figure out how to accomplish this. I apologize if my use of the phrase "willy nilly"seemed to indicate a negative opinion of the product. That is definitely not the case.
Thanks!

Green

legendary
Activity: 1610
Well hello there!

Sean,

Pablo.

My BitStamp has apparently come back online...thank you sir!!

*Haven't really seen any sort of profitability from my limited use of the trial. Any plans on supporting other currencies as well as adding additional exchanges (mcxnow of particular interest to me atm)?
Activity: 399

legendary
Activity: 1610
Well hello there!

+1

I too am experiencing this exact same issue. It worked just fine yesterday and actually placed one purchase order for PPC but since then zip.
legendary

Sean,

Pablo.

legendary

Hi Greenbits Smiley,
   You could use high settings on your thresholds, like 10 and 15 on each.

We would also suggest high settings on stop loss but that's really up to you. Stop loss activation shuts the bot off.

This is not what the bot was designed for, but there are a handful of customers who do it like this.

Pablo.
legendary
Activity: 196
OMG    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  Tempted to Manually sell right now at 193+ per BTC..  I would make 1K profit if I sold now and as much as I LOVE this bot, I know the price will have to probably go into the 170's to trigger a bot sell.

What to do..

Pages:
Jump to: