Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] MtRed (PPS, LP+, API, 0 FEE) STRATUM on mine.mtred.com:3333 - page 46. (Read 176141 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
I only pinged for a little bit just now, but they seemed about the same, both averaging around 200ms.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Nom Nom Nom
While the new server is defiantly more powerful cpu wise, I've been seeing some packet loss talking to it. Not much a little under 5%, but compared to our current location and datacenter, i'm not impressed.

If you could help by pinging both **173.193.21.69** (current mtred.com) and **108.60.141.139** for about an hour or so and tell me how they compare.

If its just my TimeWarner connection and everyone else is getting good connections we will be ready to move over Thursday.

Thanks for your support,

RR

On Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/mtred/comments/ob5oz/new_server_almost_ready_i_need_your_help/
Nom Nom Nom
Hello 2012,

I trust everyone has had great holiday, glad to see BTC on the rise again.

I just wanted to give an update on the server upgrade that was ment to be done before the holidays. Hopefully the new server will be online this evening. I will start a migration over the weekend, and sometime next week we will be running on the new box.

After the move, I have some plans for the pool I think you will all appreciate.

Thanks,
RR
Nom Nom Nom
This was posted on Reddit, I felt it should also be posted here.

Ok guys, There seems to be a lot of confusion about our reward structure.

Since we have had pps it has been a 7% fee/buffer.  We mention it as a fee on the about page, and list the amount we pay you per share on the front page.  Nothing has changed there.

If you believe I am shorting your payments, please run the calculation on your reward and see if they match with our advertised pps amount.

As far as other pools are concerned, yes some have lower, even 0 fees. Some have more fees, and even take another cut on withdraws.  MtRed offers pure pps, with a 7% fee/buffer to ensure that the mine stays open, and thats it.  No other fee's, and again we have always advertised how much we actually give you per share.

I'm surprised so many miners didn't know about the 7% fee/buffer, this wasn't intentional. I've tried to be very straight forward with all actions and changes on MtRed.

I hope this clears up the reward structure, if you have any more question please let me know.

Thanks,
RR
Nom Nom Nom
Ah, I see. I didn't even realize you had a fee. Didn't see that on the info page and your first post here is some unclear reverse psychology that seems to imply 0% fees. If I'd known that I wouldn't have left a percentage for donation either. Another slimy pool. ... well, bye then.

You were right about the first post still listing 0% fees from when we were a proportional pool. I do apologize for this and have removed that statement.  I rarely look at the beginning of this thread.

As for the 7% fee/buffer, it is to counter the fact that we use pure pps to pay miners, and the amount we pay per share has always been listed on the frontpage of the site.

Thanks for considering MtRed even tho we weren't able to please you, we will continue to work hard providing the best service we can.

Thanks,
RR
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Ah, I see. I didn't even realize you had a fee. Didn't see that on the info page and your first post here is some unclear reverse psychology that seems to imply 0% fees. If I'd known that I wouldn't have left a percentage for donation either. Another slimy pool. ... well, bye then.
Nom Nom Nom
Is the PPS value current on the home page? It says 0.0000402584041003.
But my calc of 50/1155038 = 0.000043289 which is 7.5% more.

Huh

Also checked on ArsBitcoin and they're using this latter value.
I'm currently using MtRed as failover backup but have toyed with switching.

BTW I saw your post about moving servers and possible DNS downtime. Before you do the move you should set your DNS TTL value to a short value like 300 seconds so that when you do the IP change we'll all be caching DNS only briefly. Then after the move set it back to your normal TTL time. This will minimize the DNS propagation issues.

The fee is 7%. but yea

Its (50/Diff)*0.93 = pps amount

so (50/1155038.3339636)*0.93 = 0.0000402584041003

Also, A note on the server upgrade:

We are waiting on the new box to be built and put online.  Given its the holiday it might be another week before it's online. I will be sure to let yo guys know.

RR
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Is the PPS value current on the home page? It says 0.0000402584041003.
But my calc of 50/1155038 = 0.000043289 which is 7.5% more.

Huh

Also checked on ArsBitcoin and they're using this latter value.
I'm currently using MtRed as failover backup but have toyed with switching.

BTW I saw your post about moving servers and possible DNS downtime. Before you do the move you should set your DNS TTL value to a short value like 300 seconds so that when you do the IP change we'll all be caching DNS only briefly. Then after the move set it back to your normal TTL time. This will minimize the DNS propagation issues.
Nom Nom Nom
Heads up,

We are migrating to a new server with better processing and disk space.  This requires an ip switch, which may result in a few hours of downtime while DNS updates.  There will be a 72hr notice before we switch the servers.  Plans for right now are for the switch to happen on Friday. It may get delayed to after the holiday, but I will be sure to keep you posted.

Thanks,
RR
Nom Nom Nom
In the last few weeks we have seen many great pools close their doors.  While in the short term this might seem like a good thing for competing pool, I started Mt.Red to create more diversity in the mining sector.  Right now much of the hashing power rests a few top their pools.  Many bad things can happen given a scenario with few mining options, so I want to encourage more developments and more smaller pools, and for miners to try smaller pools.  Hosting a pool isn't too difficult, most of the hard work has been done and the software is well polished. And of course there are plenty of people to talk to and get help.  There are opensource projects for every part of mining, backend to frontend. If you can afford the costs and risks and know how to maintain a server, then I think you will find the level of challenges in running a mine enjoyable. It does take time initially to build and test, but maintaining it after that is rather strait forward.

/rant

That all being said; Mt.Red would love to see are server resources be utilized a little more. Come check us out, lots of new features.

RR
Nom Nom Nom
You can now customize you name and add a link for the 'Tops' List.
Nom Nom Nom
Some simple maintenance with a downtime of about 3 min. All miners should be getting work.
Nom Nom Nom
Nom Nom Nom
Who do I need to contact about finding out about where my supply of name coins went?

Either they where stolen or there is a bug. Please tell me what happened. Thank you!

Hey, not a bug more of a feature too people that don't care about NMC.  Just add a NMC address and your balance and stats will appear on the dashbaord for NMC.

Right now NMC does NOT have autopayments,  You can place a bitparking deposit address in the NMC address field.
Activity: 737
Merit: 500
At redditorrex's request...

Userbars:

And because these forums no longer allow images in signatures, there are also avatar-sized images available:

Get yours at http://btcstats.net
Nom Nom Nom
The setting page has gotten a facelift, as well as the top boards.
By default all users are now private, and can choose to display either their username or a custom name, with an optional link.
There are also new email and notification features, with a few more on the way.

clicky
Nom Nom Nom
Thanks eleuthria.

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
I just started mining again with my 700MH/s after stopping over summer and am disappointed by the changes made to this pool since. You claim PPS or Proportional, yet there is no option to switch between them (I checked every single page) and it appears both NMC and BTC are proportional. Also, forcing me to mine namecoins when I don't even have a namecoin address or any interest in them makes no sense. Off to Ars for me.

Mining NMC does not affect your BTC production, just FYI.  You're complaining about being forced to get a free bonus.
Activity: 487
Merit: 500
Are You Shpongled?
I just started mining again with my 700MH/s after stopping over summer and am disappointed by the changes made to this pool since. You claim PPS or Proportional, yet there is no option to switch between them (I checked every single page) and it appears both NMC and BTC are proportional. Also, forcing me to mine namecoins when I don't even have a namecoin address or any interest in them makes no sense. Off to Ars for me.
Nom Nom Nom

Small new feature allowing you to get emails when we send you BTC/NMC.

As usual their is an option on the settings page to turn this off.

Example Email (clicky):
Pages:
Jump to: