Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA - page 14. (Read 30723 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
In the interests of transparency, here's a list of companies I've contacted for quotes so far:
- Sunstone Circuits
- RelianceCM
- Westak
- Colin Fitzgerald
- Cascade Systems Technology (Still out. I dropped the ball and just today picked it up again.)
- Hi-Tek Electronics
- SMT NW (Still out. No reply since 8 days ago, so I'm counting them out for now.)
- PCB Unlimited
- Screaming Circuits
- Bright Manufacturing
- PJRC.com
- ESP Seattle (Still out. No reply since 7 days ago, so I'm counting them out for now.)
- Two or three California plants that only had contact forms on their websites. (They never emailed me, so I wasn't able to find any records in my inbox.)

I also had someone from Dorkbot offer to beat whatever price I could find online if I paid half the price of a pick and place machine. I'll be following up with them later, but for now I'm going with Tate Technology's quote.

I plan on opening escrow and figuring out batches soon, as I think I've got a good enough feel for how much this is going to cost now.

Awesome. Thanks for doing all this legwork.

Are you seriously entertaining quotes from California companies? There's some plants in the valley I could take a look at, if you'd like - seems like the least I could do. Been too busy the past couple weeks to send any RFQs.

I've got some concerns about how the Avalon chips are going to be loaded into a pick-and-place. I assume they come on reels of 10,000 (can anyone confirm?) but they're going to be all cut up into strips by the time they get to you. Any ideas?

Also, it occurs to me that we haven't discussed heatsinks. I imagine you might want those included with the miners, right? I'll start looking at prices in order to get a ballpark figure, but from what I've seen on the Klondike thread, I expect that to kick the price up by $3 to $5.

I'd defintely want them on my boards, or at least included. It'd be tough buying heatsinks at a good price as an individual. $3 to $5 wouldn't be bad at all. I'd be more concerned that we actually won't be able to get enough of them - heatsinks tend to be made-to-order rather than off-the-shelf.

Vycid
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
In the interests of transparency, here's a list of companies I've contacted for quotes so far:
- Sunstone Circuits
- RelianceCM
- Westak
- Colin Fitzgerald
- Cascade Systems Technology (Still out. I dropped the ball and just today picked it up again.)
- Hi-Tek Electronics
- SMT NW (Still out. No reply since 8 days ago, so I'm counting them out for now.)
- PCB Unlimited
- Screaming Circuits
- Bright Manufacturing
- PJRC.com
- ESP Seattle (Still out. No reply since 7 days ago, so I'm counting them out for now.)
- Two or three California plants that only had contact forms on their websites. (They never emailed me, so I wasn't able to find any records in my inbox.)

I also had someone from Dorkbot offer to beat whatever price I could find online if I paid half the price of a pick and place machine. I'll be following up with them later, but for now I'm going with Tate Technology's quote.

I plan on opening escrow and figuring out batches soon, as I think I've got a good enough feel for how much this is going to cost now.
For the people interested in the K64 boards...aren't you concerned that if the board goes bad it takes out all 64 chips from your mining?

If you read the Klondike thread (or at least just BkkCoins' posts in that thread), it appears that the chips are organized in clusters of 8 and that the worst-case scenario has one chip taking out a cluster of 8. The K64s are little more than four K16s printed on a single PCB and pre-wired together. I understand that there are a couple of components that can be omitted in that particular configuration, but that's basically all they are. Thus the worst-case scenario for chip failure on a K64 also only has a bank of 8 being taken out. (And more realistically, BkkCoins contends that in most scenarios a bad chip would just generate bad hashes, which would get ignored, and the other 7 chips would stay in commission.)
PeZ
Activity: 297
For the people interested in the K64 boards...aren't you concerned that if the board goes bad it takes out all 64 chips from your mining?
Activity: 327
Also interested, but on the eastcoast. Anyone tried an eastcoast assembler? I would be interested in K16 and K1 if possible.

+1

+2 I am on the east coast as well.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
Also interested, but on the eastcoast. Anyone tried an eastcoast assembler? I would be interested in K16 and K1 if possible.

+1

Steamboat is in FL and working on something.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2225167

I'm fairly sure you don't have to be in his group buy.

I have been following steamboat and have been very tempted to just pull the trigger on batch 3. I guess I did not see if HE was the assembler or if he HAD an assembler. He is across the alley for me, so I'll bug him some more.
Activity: 176

+1

Steamboat is in FL and working on something.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2225167

I'm fairly sure you don't have to be in his group buy.
Activity: 742

+1
Activity: 188
legendary
Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000
SaluS - (SLS)
Interested in 6  K64s.
Activity: 336
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
Okay, let's do this. I'm in for 128 chips, either 2x 64 or 8x 16 depending on what ends up cheaper.

How much time do you think in-person pickup would save? Kind of a drive from San Jose.

Drop me a line if you want a second pair of eyes before you put in an order for parts.
Activity: 327
I would be interested with 3 K64 if the price and turnaround time are feasible. However that would leave me with 8 chips left. I have an order with zefir for batch 5 and 7. I'll be checking this thread regularly.
I'd be interested in 1 k16 board an 4 k1s, depending on final price.  I'm on ragingazn628's buy.
Activity: 139

I'm interested in 10-15 K16s (depending on number of chips I end up with) and a handful of K1's for leftover chips.

I'm east coast US and this looks to be a reasonable option for boards... pricing looks great so far!

I'd prefer my chips not to melt off the board, but that's just me. Smiley
Meh. The plant messed up their quote and forgot to include the price of stencils. At 100 K16 miners, that brings the price up by about $4 to $49 for assembly. It'll take 256 K16s to get to $45 per miner for assembly. At the moment, that brings the price up to $93 per miner.

Also, it occurs to me that we haven't discussed heatsinks. I imagine you might want those included with the miners, right? I'll start looking at prices in order to get a ballpark figure, but from what I've seen on the Klondike thread, I expect that to kick the price up by $3 to $5.
Activity: 378
Put me down for 2 K16's.
I paid for 32 ASIC from steamboat on 6 May.
Thanks
You'd be sending them to me.

Btw, does anyone know how these chips are going to be packaged? I'd assume reels of 10,000, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.
Activity: 196
Could I get some clarification on who I should be sending my chips too from zefir?  He has a request to post what developer you are supporting..is this supporting BBKCoins or ryepdx? I want to eliminate any potential confusion before it happens.  Cool

Where should I tell zefir to ship?

Activity: 196
First.
Would like to thank everyone for the effort to get this going. Thank you.

Second.
Would like to get in on this...I have chips coming from zefir. When the time is appropriate let me know who to send the chips to.

subb'ed

zif                                                                                                                 
Pages:
Jump to: