Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA - page 16. (Read 30685 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Is this Colin Fitzgerald you're talking about?   I emailed with him a few weeks back about a small personal run of these boards.  He'll be at Vancouver Mini Maker Faire in early June, seems to know his stuff.

Yup, that's him! How'd you find him?
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
I've finally gotten in touch with the Canadian BkkCoins was telling me about.

Is this Colin Fitzgerald you're talking about?   I emailed with him a few weeks back about a small personal run of these boards.  He'll be at Vancouver Mini Maker Faire in early June, seems to know his stuff.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
I looked at these guys a week or so back (by following some sparkfun links) and it looked like they charge $10/square inch.  Seemed like it might be a decent price for low volume, but expensive if looking at a large run (but I don't know anything... so take it with a grain of salt).

Also maybe check this out

http://oshpark.com/
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
There is a manufacturing company in Calgary that my school dealt with for robotics, I've emailed them for a quote.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
On the other hand, I WOULD like my chips messed up during assembly.
looks like doors are opening and we can pursue getting this done locally ourselves as opposed to terra doing it.  If you get the name of the place in vancouver let me know im in vancouver.
Thanks for the cautionary tale! Definitely was considering doing a DIY import, but might just leave it to FedEx overnight shipping after reading that.

Also, I've finally gotten in touch with the Canadian BkkCoins was telling me about. He claims he can deliver finished boards within 24 hours or so of receiving all the parts. He also says he can produce the K16s at a rate of 100 per day. His preliminary quote, based on the current board design, is $75 per board for assembly.

He also has a supplier in Taipei who can fabricate the boards for $9 each with 10-12 day turnaround. Given that I can do the same thing domestically for just a little more and with less turnaround, I may do that, or else go with a Canadian fabrication company as well. I'll be looking into prices on that side of the border now that I seem to have found a viable assembly option.

I'm also in the Northwest (Seattle-Tacoma area) and would like to support your effort.  There is a PCB manufacturer in Vancouver, WA that you more than likely already know of, but I believe you can rent out their space to do this very thing.

Could you PM me a name? I haven't heard anything about being able to rent equipment/space from any of the companies I've contacted so far. Thanks!

If you haven't yet reached out to the Dorkbot folks in Portland they could probably point you towards the most cost effective direction.  I'm sure they know of more local old school 'make and bake' places that might not even have a web presence.  

Good call. I'll get in touch with them.

I'm about 2.5 hours away from PDX, so just like the other locals count me in for the assist as well.

Much appreciated! :-)
Activity: 13
Yes, it seems extremely pricey! I could rent a small pick and place machine, solder stencil applicator, and reflow oven for a month for less than that. I'm looking at the possibility of doing just that right now...

I'm also in the Northwest (Seattle-Tacoma area) and would like to support your effort.  There is a PCB manufacturer in Vancouver, WA that you more than likely already know of, but I believe you can rent out their space to do this very thing. 

If you haven't yet reached out to the Dorkbot folks in Portland they could probably point you towards the most cost effective direction.  I'm sure they know of more local old school 'make and bake' places that might not even have a web presence.   

I'm about 2.5 hours away from PDX, so just like the other locals count me in for the assist as well. 
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
Vancouver BC hère, 32 chips am interested.

Border should be easy but don't DIY commercially.

http://blog.openbeamusa.com/tag/stuck-in-customs/

They are on the west coast. Silicon Valley, according to their website, so... San Francisco, I guess. They are able to offer such low prices because they have their own manufacturing equipment.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
Is terrahash on the west coast?  Their assembly cost of two btc per k64 seems cheaper than these quotes.   Not sure they do pickup, but might be worth asking.
Yes, it seems extremely pricey! I could rent a small pick and place machine, solder stencil applicator, and reflow oven for a month for less than that. I'm looking at the possibility of doing just that right now...
Doesn't $1.3k seem a little pricey for just assembly?
Do the assemblers offer a warrantee for their work?
Say a few assemblies don't work due to a manufacturing defect will they repair them?

They say that fabricated boards with errors will be replaced with new boards and improperly assembled boards with be reworked for no additional cost.
Hey guys. I'm looking at prices for renting pick-and-place machines and reflow ovens. It's looking like a super-cheap option compared to contracting with a plant. I'm going to look into this option a little more...
Very interested. Would you offer selling the chips, and assembly service? I live in Canada in the Greater Toronto Area, let me know if there's anything I can do to help in terms of getting quotes and what not.

Unfortunately I don't plan on selling any chips as I have no surplus to sell.

I'm in the Pacific NW as well, and am interested in a large order on behalf of Cognitive.

I live a few hours from BC, so feel free to get in touch to coordinate a pickup/dropoff etc.

Sounds great! PMing you now.

I'll get in touch with some people to hopefully find a company suitable, and get quotes.

Much appreciated. :-)

If you have any specific Canadian manufacturers in mind, PM me!
Very interested. Would you offer selling the chips, and assembly service? I live in Canada in the Greater Toronto Area, let me know if there's anything I can do to help in terms of getting quotes and what not.

Unfortunately I don't plan on selling any chips as I have no surplus to sell.

I'm in the Pacific NW as well, and am interested in a large order on behalf of Cognitive.

I live a few hours from BC, so feel free to get in touch to coordinate a pickup/dropoff etc.

Sounds great! PMing you now.

I'll get in touch with some people to hopefully find a company suitable, and get quotes.

Much appreciated. :-)
Pages:
Jump to: