Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED]#KN-R001 3TH/s Neptune KnCMiner, ord. #K27-BFYW-014072, PAID - page 9. (Read 33413 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I'm the person that James mentioned earlier that would like to sell some of my full shares.  I have about 4 shares (30 GH/s per share) that I'd like to sell for $160 each.  Please PM me if interested.
Activity: 966
Merit: 502
We're getting closer to the Wasp A1 rollout!

The initial bring up 2 Chip Wasp A1 in hand... pick and place and re-flow ongoing.

I agree with LDR.  Also have very few shares but at the current BTC price an ROI in BTC would be nice.  I second a refund.

If the Neptunes hashrate is significantly higher than the originally promised 3TH/s, the return in BTC could be as high as 19-36 BTC. With a refund, we might meet ROI in fiat, but there will only be a slight increase in BTC. (Actually, there might be a loss for some since the exchange value for BTC was so volatile when payments were made, that there was a significant loss of value (in fiat) during the transaction time when those payments were processed. I actually had to subsidize the Neptune purchase with my own money in order to have enough. Wasn't planning on telling you guys this because I'm working towards a long term goal, but it seems appropriate to let you know now.)

I thought it would be helpful to get a good idea about the actual numbers involved (or an estimation at least) in making a decision.

I used the Jupiter stats to calculate a rough estimate of what we might expect the Neptunes hashrate to be by core count.

Jupiter: 550 GH/s / 768 cores = 716 MH/s per core

Neptune: 4 chips * 1440 cores * 716 MH/s per core = 4.125 TH/s

Remember, most Jupiters where exceeding the 550 GH/s and were actually hashing at ~600 GH/s

Jupiter: 600 GH/s / 768 cores = 781 MH/s per core

Neptune: 4 chips * 1440 cores * 781 MH/s per core = 4.5 TH/s

The Genesis Block estimation:

IF Neptune Hashrate = 4.125 TH/s

Starting in March: ROI reached within the first 30 days - 15 BTC (original price of Neptune) + 19.7 BTC by October, Total BTC = 34.7
Starting in April: ROI reached in June - 15 BTC (original price of Neptune) + 3.8 BTC by October, Total BTC = 18.8

If Neptune Hashrate = 4.5 TH/s

Starting in March: ROI reached within the first 30 days - 15 BTC (original price of Neptune) + 22.9 BTC by October, Total BTC = 37.9
Starting in April: ROI reached in June - 15 BTC (original price of Neptune) + 3.8 5.7 BTC by October, Total BTC = 20.7

At the current exchange rate of $659.97 we could purchase just over 19 BTC. That changes dramatically, down to only 15.3 BTC, if the exchange rate of BTC to USD is closer to $850 when we receive a refund. As you can see, worst case scenario, it is likely that we will have a net sum difference of just a little more BTC (~0.3-0.4?) if we were fortunate enough to get a refund in time (or at a time) to exchange the funds for BTC at ~$660.

Estimation of Potential Gain with refund: Negligible

Estimation of Loss Potential with refund: Minimal

Estimation of Potential Gain if Neptune kept: Significant

Estimation of Loss Potential: (likely) Negligible

(Of course, things change fast. We don't yet know exactly how "Plan B" will compensate Neptune customers. And we don't know if KnC will be able to increase the 20nm chips hashing power at a higher percentage than they were able to do with Jupiters 28nm chips.)
I had considered asking if anyone was interested in refunding the Neptune, but hadn't decided yet whether I was going to or not. There are a few things that we should consider:

1. KnCMiner has, thus far, been very good about sticking to their commitment to "under promise and over deliver."

2. They have already indicated that their design will be not 30%, but 40% more energy efficient than the previous generation of KnC's ASIC chip.

3. KnC tapped-out their chip design in late Feb. They originally promised a Q1/Q2 delivery date, so they are still within the time frame promised for delivery of the Neptunes.

4. And, they have packed more cores into their design than they originally planned (1440 cores is the latest that I have heard) which likely means more hashing power than originally promised.

How these facts play out is yet to be seen. I am curious to see what their "Plan B" will actually provide. At first, they stated that they would provide 3TH/s of mining power via hosted mining free of charge for Neptune customers if there was a delay in shipping. My only question is, will KnC compensate for any increase in the Neptunes actual hashing power at the time of shipping? Now on that subject, a later news release stated that Neptune customers could convert to 3TH/s worth of hosted mining, without mentioning whether or not you would still be able to get your miner if you wanted it. It would create a sh@t-storm of pissed of Neptune customers if the take the free hosted mining conversion option at 3TH/s if the Neptunes ship out actually running at 4-6TH/s and KnC doesn't match that hashing rate for those customers.

I might be willing to convert everyone's contracts into the SWMC Hashing Echange, Wasps or something similar if you guys want to refund the Neptune, there is a good chance that the price per GH/s will be close to the same or, more likely, lower than what we paid for the Neptune assuming that the actual hashrate of the Neptune remains around 3TH/s. (I'll convert the hashing power to you at near cost if you want to roll those funds into the SWMC Hashing Exchange. [EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I have set aside 25% of all future trading fees to be paid to anyone who participates in the development of SWMC's Hashing Exchange, that includes coding work or financial support. By rolling over the Neptune funds into SWMC's Hashing Exchange, you will be early adopters and you would fit into the financial support category, therefore you would receive a portion of that 25%. (for life) Smiley])

In any case, I am willing to work something out with all of you if there is consensus.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
I agree with LDR.  Also have very few shares but at the current BTC price an ROI in BTC would be nice.  I second a refund.
LDR
Activity: 119
let's discuss refunding this miner from knc

I agree that we should discuss it. If we take the refund in fiat, even though the refund is less than 100%, we can buy bitcoins at the current lower price and end up making an ROI in terms of BTC. The risk is that it takes up to 10 days to process the refund and if the BTC price spikes during this period, we will end up in the red in terms of both fiat and BTC. Or we can wait continue it out because KNC promises to compensate for the delay with extra hashing power/cloud hashing. The risk is that KNC hasn't provided any real details about how much/when this compensation will work and difficulty is about to skyrocket with Cointerra currently shipping and Bitmine about to.

Personally, I don't really care either way since I only have 5 partial shares.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Lux e tenebris
let's discuss refunding this miner from knc

Update

Here are the links to our other threads that are currently active.

Website Project Development thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455738.new#new

[Teaser!]The Wasp and Hive, Collecting Reservations For The Coming SWARM!: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/teaserwasp-based-mining-gb-collecting-reservations-for-the-coming-swarm-453118

[Testing] $3.5 - $2.8 Gh/s A1 Bitmine Chips - Multi-Group GB. Organized by SWMC: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/canceled-35-28-ghs-a1-bitmine-chips-group-chip-buy-organized-by-swmc-453019

[CLOSED]#KN-R001 3TH/s Neptune KnCMiner, ord. #K27-BFYW-014072, PAID: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closedkn-r001-3ths-neptune-kncminer-ord-k27-bfyw-014072-paid-348417

Hi everyone,

One of our GB members needs to raise some capital and asked if a refund was possible. Unfortunately, we cannot do refunds after a miner has been purchased. But, if anyone would like to pickup a few more contract positions, I fully support anyone's decision to sell their Contracts, in full or part.

If anyone is interested, there are 300 GH/s up for sale. If you are interested, just reply and I will contact the individual and broker the transactions at no charge.

Let's help the guy out if we can!

Thanks,
James
Hi James and crew... some great updates here.

Do we have an ETA on when the miners are going to ship?  if so when should we expect to be mining?

thanks for all the hard work

Thanks dan244,

No word on when the Neptunes will ship, but read the post with KnCMiners news letter. KnC is essentially saying that if there are delays in shipping that Neptune owners will be given free hashing power until the units ship to ensure that their customers reach ROI. They are also offering free miner hosting, but we will have to wait to see what the details are in following announcements.

@davideak - OK, UserID added. I believe I have everyones email and I was working on a mass email to update everyone and ask for their payment address if they don't see it on the spreadsheet.

Quote from: KnCMiners news letter

Dear All

It has been a while since our last communication and this update is overdue and we do apologise for that. In this newsletter we want to update you on 3 important things.Neptune Development Progress, Jupiter sales and our new project - Plan B.

Neptune Development Progress

Over the last few months things have most certainly not stopped here at KnC, and we have made massive progress on our 20nm chip and it will be one of the first 20nm chips to come out to market with the strong support of our partners, TSMC, AST and Alchip. The backend engineering teams have been working 7 days a week around the clock to bring this chip to market as fast as possible. We have of course learnt a lot from our previous 28nm design and with that knowledge we will squeeze even more out of our 20nm chip.

The news we can tell you today is that we have a further reduction in power consumption of around 11% from our initial calculations, which means we can squeeze in even more cores. The core count per package is already over 1000 and with every reduction in power usage we will add in more cores to maximize the performance. This is a great bit of news.

Jupiter sales

We are no longer going to offer Jupiter for sale. We had intended to offer Jupiter following the end of our Network Protection phase, however things move fast in the Bitcoin world and we have decided to end all future sales of Jupiter. We know this may disappoint some people waiting for buy more Jupiters, however, we have some exciting news that we would like to share today and its called ‘Plan B’.

Plan B

As you are all aware we broke many world records in releasing the 28nm chip in such a short amount of time. We are a very ambitious company but even for us, to go “all in” and not be able to deliver on our performance targets, like our competition, would be completely unacceptable to us as a company and everything we stand for. So today we are introducing, Plan B.

To make sure that everyone who has paid for their Neptune gets their hashing power we are building a data centre like no other. It is located in the north of Sweden not far from Facebook and other Mega Data Centres and it’s totally powered by renewable energy.

Over the next few months we are bringing online enough hashing power to make sure that any delay in the Neptune timeline will be compensated with a completely free hosted hashing packages to all fully paid customers.

In the addition to this commitment, as part of Plan B, for all Neptune customers, we will be offering a free conversion to a hosted hashing package where we will simply fill your wallets directly and you won’t have to worry about anything else. All the other costs taken care of by us. We are able to do this by using our 28nm chips which is why all products that we have coming out of our factory in the next few months will go into building and supplying the Plan B facility.

If, during the course of development of Neptune, there is any threat to the timelines for delivery, those delays will not result in the loss of any mining time for our Neptune customers. We will release more details of this as we get closer to the delivery date, but for now we have one of the world’s largest data centres to build.

Thanks
KnCMiner Team

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Hi James and crew... some great updates here.

Do we have an ETA on when the miners are going to ship?  if so when should we expect to be mining?

thanks for all the hard work
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
Thanks James!

Great to have you back in the thread  Smiley

There was no reason to complain - you conducted the GB in good faith,
Posted all relevant information, got vetted by DZ etc.

I've sent all of my purchase information to the email you posted + signed a message to verify my receive address,
Hope the spreadsheet gets updated accordingly.

Edit:
Just saw there is a column with payout addresses.

Please try to respond to Emails - something like "information received/in process" so we know that you got what we sent
Or maybe one after the information is updated - so we can check the spreadsheet.

BTW
I saw there is a column with "bitcointalk" username  & "need permission" - you can display mine  Smiley
Hey guys,

I was thinking about how understanding you all have been. Not one of you has relaid a single message or post expressing anger or frustration. You haven't been hounding me for information, you haven't... no... instead of telling you all the things that you haven't done, I'll tell you what you have been. You have been PERFECT!!

Seriously! Because of the website issues, delay's in getting the spreadsheet out and limited communications. I expected to have to deal with hundreds of emails demanding this or that, the scammer tag being thrown around and a host of other unpleasant experiences all of which I desperately wanted to avoid. But you guys, yoouuu guuuyyyss!! None of it has happened, and if it had I wouldn't have blamed you at all. You guys are just AMAZING PEOPLE! How did I get so lucky as to get YOU all in MY GB!!??

Now, I feel bad about this whole website and openCart mess. I know it's my fault. I mean, I don't know how it is my fault exactly, but I'm sure I messed with some setting or file and cause all this trouble for all of us. I want you all to know how much your patients and understanding means to me and how lucky I have felt about having such great people backing me up. And it's not just you, my regular investors have acted the same way.

SWMC is in the process of doing several upgrades to its business model and its website. One of those upgrades is a Hashing Exchange similar to CEX.io. I want to show you all my appreciation, so I am giving everyone in the #KN-R001 GB and all of my current investors an equal share of 0.5% of the hash trading fees, for LIFE! And don't think you can sell it to someone else either, I want your grandchildren to be getting payouts from the trading fees!

So, Thanks for being GREAT PEOPLE, cheers!
James
Ok, here is the spreadsheet for the GB. Sorry that it is not completed, but I will be updating it with correct information as I filter through the file from database hell. I don't know what happened, but the information is hard to sort through. Some purchases are referenced multiple times, but don't easily correlate with one another, so it's hard to see if some of the duplicates are actually the same order. Some orders aren't in the database at all, but I have the transaction information so I'll include that information when I verify everything else.

I could use your help to get some of this sorted out. If you would do the following things I would appreciate it very much. Smiley

A copy of all email between you and I and all other requested information sent to this email address: [email protected]
Copy of your invoice if you have it.
Transaction #s, BTC addresses (both send & receive)
Your purchase information if you don't have an invoice
Anything else you think is important.

Thanks for being patient, you guy's are GREAT!!

James
James,

I don't mean to sound harsh but we aren't investors in your business, we are your customers. We have no stake in the success of SWMC, just a stake in the success of this particular group buy. It is great that you have some long term plans but they are unrelated to us. It has been well over a month and you haven't even a completed list of shares. It seems like your priorities are on the long term expensive projects, instead of on your current revenue generating customers.

The first thing you need to do is get the share situation fixed and at the very least a spreadsheet up. Put whatever shares you know on there and send out a link to it. The missing shareholders can then send their TXid and sign a message from their payment wallet to settle disputes/confirm ownership. It will honestly take less time than it took for you to write than long post about what you want in a website.

I am an experienced web developer and small business owner and I hate to say it but your wish list is unrealistic for a friend of business associate to do part time. It would take a full-time developer months to custom build everything you described. Once the development is done, managing servers and databases for a single business quality app is hard, let alone for a blog, a store, a stats web app and a pool.

Here is some quick advice:

Since you don't have any coding skills or security/database/server management experience, hands down you need to start with a simple WordPress e commerce site because it is easy to manage and a good foundation to build upon. I recommend that you start with a self hosted wordpress.org (not .com) install, with the WooCommerce plugin and its Bitpay add-on to handle payments. At the very least you will need to buy a domain($10/year), an SSL certificate($50/year), a Google Apps account($5/month) and managed hosting (About $20/month. Managed means that they handle security, server, database, and WordPress for you. This is also why managed hosts are more expensive. WP Engine, Pressable and Flywheel are currently the best providers). You can set all of this up by yourself without typing a single line of code.

Appreciate the advice!

Just so you have a more complete understanding, I'd like to address some of your comments. It's not that I don't have any coding skills, it's that I haven't really done much coding for many years and allot of things have changed since then. I am just WAY behind. Managed web hosting and web design is a big part of what my friend's business does. That's why I asked him to help with this. A limited partnership with my friend/business partner was formed prior to starting my business and it is his facility that will host the mining equipment. He is fully on board and very excited about working with The SWMC and entering the Bitcoin world. Maybe I should have said that his web design team will be working on the website and they will be giving it just as much attention as they would with any other client, so it won't just be a part-time effort. And we will be contracting others who have more knowledge about Bitcoin and related code to advise and perform some of the needed work. I already have a domain name so that is taken care of. I will bring up your wordpress suggestion to him because that sounds like a good idea.

As far as this information not being relevant to the GB, I would half agree with you. Miner hosting is also one of the services that SWMC is providing so that part is definitely relevant. I mostly quoted the posts here so that everyone knows that I am still around and actively working. Unfortunately, I was spending so much time trying to sort out the openCart mess and keeping this thread updated that some of my other investors felt like I wasn't giving them enough attention, and of course, they were right. That had some regrettable consequences and I am trying to avoid that on this thread. That is why I posted the quotes.

You are also correct to point out that I haven't posted a link to the GB info and I agree with your sentiment that it has taken too long. For that I apologize. I do have a spreadsheet nearly finished and will be posting it soon. I have decided to just include the BTC address, limited ID information and hashing power for each contract and then ask each of you to fill out a google form so I can cross check your information with my records to insure the accuracy of the GB database.

I will provide more information soon.

Thanks!
James

Hi James,
Where are you posting these updates?
the site is down & I haven't seen any updates in the wordpress:
http://solarwindminingco.wordpress.com/updates/

They were posted in the official SWMC thread. If you click on the "quote:" link above the quote you'll be redirected there.
Added to my watch list  Grin

+1
Hi James,

They were posted in the official SWMC thread. If you click on the "quote:" link above the quote you'll be redirected there.
Added to my watch list  Grin
LDR
Activity: 119
James,

I don't mean to sound harsh but we aren't investors in your business, we are your customers. We have no stake in the success of SWMC, just a stake in the success of this particular group buy. It is great that you have some long term plans but they are unrelated to us. It has been well over a month and you haven't even a completed list of shares. It seems like your priorities are on the long term expensive projects, instead of on your current revenue generating customers.

The first thing you need to do is get the share situation fixed and at the very least a spreadsheet up. Put whatever shares you know on there and send out a link to it. The missing shareholders can then send their TXid and sign a message from their payment wallet to settle disputes/confirm ownership. It will honestly take less time than it took for you to write than long post about what you want in a website.

I am an experienced web developer and small business owner and I hate to say it but your wish list is unrealistic for a friend of business associate to do part time. It would take a full-time developer months to custom build everything you described. Once the development is done, managing servers and databases for a single business quality app is hard, let alone for a blog, a store, a stats web app and a pool.

Here is some quick advice:

Since you don't have any coding skills or security/database/server management experience, hands down you need to start with a simple WordPress e commerce site because it is easy to manage and a good foundation to build upon. I recommend that you start with a self hosted wordpress.org (not .com) install, with the WooCommerce plugin and its Bitpay add-on to handle payments. At the very least you will need to buy a domain($10/year), an SSL certificate($50/year), a Google Apps account($5/month) and managed hosting (About $20/month. Managed means that they handle security, server, database, and WordPress for you. This is also why managed hosts are more expensive. WP Engine, Pressable and Flywheel are currently the best providers). You can set all of this up by yourself without typing a single line of code.

Hi James,

Hi James,
Pages:
Jump to: