Pages:
Author

Topic: CryptoNote technical discussion and Chess Challenge - page 63. (Read 96101 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

Nf3 is a good developing move and it helps to prepare d4 and a fight for the center of the board.

We can vote on open vs closed Sicilian defence at the appropriate time.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Nf3 That is now 4 votes
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
One of the few lines I even know is Nf3

But the better chess players on our team probably have other input.

Make that two votes for Nf3

3 votes!

Nf3 is a good developing move and it helps to prepare d4 and a fight for the center of the board.
Activity: 414
Merit: 251

Make that two votes for Nf3
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Activity: 378
I vote for playing c5 (sicilian defense)

Same choice for me.

1.e4  c5

Team Boolberry c5 voters win by a 2-1 margin as of 0:00 UTC

Now it is time for white (Team Monero) to respond. I will count votes again at 0:00 UTC tomorrow

Activity: 336

Same choice for me.

1.e4  c5
legendary
My single biggest question after reading the entire paper is the how did they choose their elliptic curve constants?  The protocol appears sound; who chose the constants?  Will there be a plan for choosing new constants in the future if needed?

As I understand it the constants were chosen by Daniel J. Bernstein. I think this is noted in the white paper but may have been missed during that initial review when cryptonote suddenly dropped out of the sky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EdDSA

I'm not a cryptographer so I may be getting some of this wrong.

I know that Monero and Boolberry did not create CryptoNote but have improved on it. Any guesses for the reason the CryptoNote creators selected a relatively new cryptographic hash function?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Hash_Algorithm

I've not seen any answer to this, though you could try asking on their forum. That can be hit or miss. Some of the people posting there on behalf of "cryptonote" obviously have technical knowledge but others are just clueless.

legendary
Has the zkSNARK setup (requiring trust to ensure an unlimited number extra coins are not produced in secret) problem been solved?

Somewhat. There is a way to do it with multiple participants such that only a single honest participant is required. Still, if you weren't part of the process and you show up later, there is not really any way for you to audit the process or know that it was set up properly. That's unlike most systems where no matter when you show up you can still audit the code and determine that it is secure.
Activity: 308

Those links were helpful. There are a few questions raised in the whitepaper review that I would like to hear opinions on:
https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

Quote from Surae Noether on pages 4-5:
My single biggest question after reading the entire paper is the how did they choose their elliptic curve constants?  The protocol appears sound; who chose the constants?  Will there be a plan for choosing new constants in the future if needed?

I know that Monero and Boolberry did not create CryptoNote but have improved on it. Any guesses for the reason the CryptoNote creators selected a relatively new cryptographic hash function?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Hash_Algorithm

I appreciate your thoughts on this and am aware there may not be easy answers to my questions
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I would like to hear about not just the potential for bitcoin sidechains, but the privacy implications of the mere knowledge that someone is using a sidechain.

For example could blockchain analysis prevent someone from using a particular sidechain without the knowledge of those observing? The bitcoin transaction used to access the sidechain will always be publicly visible along with its time, date and value. If funds are transferred back to bitcoin from the side chain at some future date, could that transaction be connected to the earlier transaction based on factors such as time and the transaction value?
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
I would like to join Team Boolberry

My move choice is e7-e5

Care to make any comments about Zerocash based on the recent tweet of Matthew Green?

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/648221218773049344

Has the zkSNARK setup (requiring trust to ensure an unlimited number extra coins are not produced in secret) problem been solved?

CryptoNote definitely is the best solution available today.

View key functionality may also future proof its ability to comply with regulatory compliance in a way the competition cannot.

I think the more privacy tools the better. Who wants to play chess with all knights?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I would like to join Team Boolberry

My move choice is e7-e5

Care to make any comments about Zerocash based on the recent tweet of Matthew Green?

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/648221218773049344

CryptoNote definitely is the best solution available today.

View key functionality may also future proof its ability to comply with regulatory compliance in a way the competition cannot.
Team Monero (white pieces) vs. Team Boolberry (black pieces)
black to move

1. e4

Based on the votes in this thread Team Monero has chosen to play 1. e4.

Now it is time for Team Boolberry to respond. Votes will be finalized at 0:00 UTC tomorrow.
I might continue compiling charts for this game as well if it takes off. Smiley

Three more 1.e4 votes came in after this graph.

Right now there are four 1.e4 votes vs two votes for 1.d4

Voting will be finalized at 0:00 UTC time unless Team Monero announces that it has finalized its decision sooner
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
watching, learning.

bbr and xmr have more in common than differences, so a debate should be respectful friendly sibling rivalry.
I propose 1 move per 24 hours (so that there is time for everyone to vote and see feedback from others) starting from the next 0:00 UTC time following the other teams move.

So 24-48 hours

Yes 24 hours if the other team waits until the last minute (just before 0:00 UTC) to make a move or almost 48 hours if the other team moves almost immediately (0:01 UTC) when their turn begins and the 24 hour clock does not start until the next 0:00 UTC. The later scenario is unlikely even on move one because it would might sense to wait for new players to show up.

That sounded fair to me. If someone has a better idea I am open to suggestions.

Based on the graphs Taras compiled in the other chess thread it seems that more people tend to join as the game continues. How that should impact the time limit I am not sure but I know it makes counting votes more tedious.
I might continue compiling charts for this game as well if it takes off. Smiley

That is very nice of you! Will you be playing in this game too? If so for which side?
legendary
I propose 1 move per 24 hours (so that there is time for everyone to vote and see feedback from others) starting from the next 0:00 UTC time following the other teams move.

So 24-48 hours
Pages:
Jump to: