Pages:
Author

Topic: Dark Enlightenment - page 4. (Read 69242 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 265
March 22, 2017, 07:02:18 PM
http://btcbase.org/log/2016-11-19#1570540

Quote from: Mircea Popescu aka MPeX
by and large, the notion that the common man may have a say in his usage / fate is coming to a close. it's some weird shit some dudes pulled out of their ass and then argued persuasively a few centuries ago, it was tried in a massive social experiment, and showed to not work in any conceivable implementation. to call this a trend reversal is to entirely miss that the alternative dominates millenia by the hundreds ; "humanism"
March 20, 2017, 09:54:01 AM
I have followed the Dark Enlightenment philosophy for around a year now, I appreciate how many of the internet's communities most full of ingenuity and thoughtfulness tend to coalesce and lead back to one another.  It makes it much easier to find the right path, for example, just stumbling upon this thread on the Bitcoin forum. 

That is an interesting way to distill the phenomenon. I had similar thought but hadn't articulated it.
Activity: 130
Merit: 109
March 19, 2017, 02:18:41 AM
I have followed the Dark Enlightenment philosophy for around a year now, I appreciate how many of the internet's communities most full of ingenuity and thoughtfulness tend to coalesce and lead back to one another.  It makes it much easier to find the right path, for example, just stumbling upon this thread on the Bitcoin forum. 
March 18, 2017, 04:17:55 AM
Welcome to StackExchange, a centralized, loony hell that puts women hackers on equal political power footing with male hackers. Bwahahaha.

Btw, this caused them to not just delete the question, but go beyond their usual deletion policy and entirely strip it from even my own view as the creator of the question:

Quote from: ModusTollens
This 45 years old Millennial gladly puts her name on her 'censorship'.

@ModusTollens German hacker females in the mold of Hilter Merkel and her subjugation of the PIIGS to German mercantilism via Euro straightjacket and rapefugees to add icing to the paddling. Reading the patriarchy damned facts in the Dark Enlightenment thread will clue you in on there is nearly nothing you and I would agree on, but you might learn something. Enjoy the crash & burn (SE, the EU, feminism, and everything you endear). P.S. I have partial German ancestry. Smiley

No wonder SE is going into the toilet.
Activity: 672
Merit: 251
March 17, 2017, 03:27:21 AM
I don't have time to delve into this right now:

http://blog.jim.com/culture/undead-christianity/
Probably few people believe, much less even think about the afterlife or about the resurrection. A person with such thoughts, as usual came to this because of some kind of life turmoil or failure. Just so, no one has such thoughts in his head.

Really? I would say everyone at some point spends some time thinking the meaning of life and if there is an eternal afterlife etc. Most I admit push it back once they superficially process it and most probably conclude we don't know so whats the point worrying about it....especially in western society where eternal things are rarely spoken of. Probably horror movies are the only place in modern western society culture where the issue becomes a subject. I do agree problems in life do often spur people to look for hope in the afterlife when they feel this life comes short.....but even the most successful, rich, talented and powerful are not immune to feeling this life lacks..in fact its often those that have everything in this life wonder whats the point...so it swings both ways.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
March 16, 2017, 05:44:03 PM

Probably few people believe, much less even think about the afterlife or about the resurrection. A person with such thoughts, as usual came to this because of some kind of life turmoil or failure. Just so, no one has such thoughts in his head.
March 16, 2017, 08:50:07 AM

March 11, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
At this point I feel the need to diverge a bit and speak from personal experience, not just to you but for anyone reading... Keep in mind that major cyclical transition turbulence is likely to involve much more than just monetary movements - civil unrest, disease, war, etc. Surviving all of these in the hopes of attaining vast monetary holdings is a trapping of material thinking.

The only things that last through all of this are your relationships and reputations with others. Among consenting parties, what delineates a beneficially constructive relationship or reputation and a harmfully destructive one is the element of control - manipulation and power struggles cause eventual failure and animosity, not to mention the cognitive load incurred in maintaining such a power structure.

Yes, it is certainly possible to attain financial independence and leave the traditional workforce through trading but always trade responsibly and always have an alternative path for yourself, whether a career or hobby. Those around you have value that exceeds any monetary gain - cultivate those relationships more than your account balances.

Being genuinely happy with the fewest things you need to control is indeed the most antifragile happiness along the journey:

Note there are those who are in a much worse predicament than me. I can't fathom their suffering. I suffered so much and I don't even want to remember it. So I see what these sufferers are going through and I can't even tolerate thinking about it. I feel for them but I don't even want to feel for them. I have no reserve of strength to suffer more (really if they didn't cure this I was getting tired of fighting) to even entertain the thought of suffering. I want to be far away from it for a long while. Perhaps the example of Jesus wasn't to emulate him but to realize he suffered for us, because we aren't capable of suffering all of it (no matter how strong we think we are). I am not becoming religious again, just saying.

If I will become wealthy, I think I must pay for the surgery for those who suffering such this man who will soon go blind without surgery to remove tumors from his face. How could you make this man a little bit happy. The gravity of it.

March 10, 2017, 06:07:38 PM
Re: How to change the world in Zen easy lessons

Quote from: Eric S. Raymond
realized everything they believed about themselves and their craft had changed forever

Years downstream from the domino effect of that epiphany, I am hoping governance and cultural evolutionary strategies are the next to be disrupted by Linus’ law and the only known positive scaling law (decentralized paradigm) of groupwise coordination.

@Jon Brase, “think big or go home”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZ7MtlMhUE

Paul Brinkley

https://www.quora.com/Should-truth-matter-Why/answer/Paul-Brinkley-1

https://www.quora.com/How-could-I-explain-the-concept-of-liberty-to-my-statist-progressive-college-friends/answer/Paul-Brinkley-1

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-currently-existing-functionally-independent-society-with-absolutely-no-government-at-all/answer/Paul-Brinkley-1

https://www.quora.com/Whats-a-math-trick-that-is-not-very-well-known/answer/Paul-Brinkley-1
March 09, 2017, 03:33:19 AM
Wow, very interesting, and I will comment on this when I have some free time:

http://blog.jim.com/war/the-solution-we-do-not-want/

I am nearly certain JAD read my recent writings in this thread, because it seems his last two blog posts have been addressing the issues I raised.

@CoinCube should see what he says about Judaism.
March 08, 2017, 05:41:41 PM
Following religion can be dangerous to your health...

Fools go live in developing countries:

http://global-diseases.healthgrove.com/stories/20689/diseases-developing-countries#35-Tuberculosis

... [detailed history]...

In short, I've been through 10 - 11 years of hell (or 22 years if you include the mistake of finding my ex in the Philippines), mostly because I decided to travel and live in a 3rd world country and also took pride/solace in being like Jesus and living amongst some of the most indigent people on earth. Big mistake!
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
March 07, 2017, 06:17:40 PM
Atheists can't admit their sins and that's why they have to attack against others to protect their own mental health from collapsing. That's basically what this is all about  Smiley

edit. Atheists are too prideful to admit their sins.

And the righteous are too sure that they have the only right path to admit that maybe they don't.
And I do not believe in the existence of the righteous. It must be a man so much pure in heart and thoughts that it is unreal in our world.
March 07, 2017, 04:02:59 PM
@dinofelis, due to my ongoing medication for TB, I don't have the cognitive energy to (assimilate all the information I need to) finish our discussion/debate right now. Maybe soon...

And I apologize that I don't explain the part that wasn't clear, but I'd rather not encourage the discussion to continue until I am back up to full brain power.

In the meantime, some tidbits:

The human brain consists of about one billion neurons. Each neuron forms about 1,000 connections to other neurons, amounting to more than a trillion connections. If each neuron could only help store a single memory, running out of space would be a problem. You might have only a few gigabytes of storage space, similar to the space in an iPod or a USB flash drive. Yet neurons combine so that each one helps with many memories at a time, exponentially increasing the brain’s memory storage capacity to something closer to around 2.5 petabytes (or a million gigabytes). For comparison, if your brain worked like a digital video recorder in a television, 2.5 petabytes would be enough to hold three million hours of TV shows.

Kurzweil's Singularity (nonsense!) also has an energy efficiency deficiency compared to humans:

The efficiency of the two systems depends on what SNR (signal to noise) ratio you need to maintain within the system.

One of the other differences between existing supercomputers and the brain is that neurons aren’t all the same size and they don’t all perform the same function. If you’ve done high school biology you may remember that neurons are broadly classified as either motor neurons, sensory neurons, and interneurons. This type of grouping ignores the subtle differences between the various structures — the actual number of different types of neurons in the brain is estimated between several hundred and perhaps as many as 10,000 — depending on how you classify them.

Compare that to a modern supercomputer that uses two or three (at the very most) CPU architectures to perform calculations and you’ll start to see the difference between our own efforts to reach exascale-level computing and simulate the brain, and the actual biological structure.

All three charts are interesting, but it’s the chart on the far right that intrigues me most. Relative efficiency is graphed along the vertical axis while the horizontal axis has bits-per-second. Looking at it, you’ll notice that the most efficient neurons in terms of bits transferred per ATP molecule (ATP is a biological unit of energy equivalent to bits-per-watt in computing) is also one of the slowest in terms of bits per second. The neurons that can transfer the most data in terms of bits-per-second are also the least efficient.

So a typical adult human brain runs on around 12 watts—a fifth of the power required by a standard 60 watt lightbulb. Compared with most other organs, the brain is greedy; pitted against man-made electronics, it is astoundingly efficient. IBM's Watson, the supercomputer that defeated Jeopardy! champions, depends on ninety IBM Power 750 servers, each of which requires around one thousand watts.

I've been trying to make the point to you that raw processing speed isn't a sufficient condition to be indicative of superiority. Such a conclusion is very simpleton.
March 07, 2017, 04:02:50 PM
Atheists can't admit their sins and that's why they have to attack against others to protect their own mental health from collapsing. That's basically what this is all about  Smiley

And the righteous are too sure that they have the only right path to admit that maybe they don't.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
March 07, 2017, 04:14:51 AM
Study: Moral Outrage ‘Alleviates Guilt’ over People’s Own Moral Failings
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/01/study-moral-outrage-alleviates-guilt-over-peoples-own-moral-failings/
Quote from: Tom Ciccotta
A recent psychological study concluded that moral outrage is sometimes a symptom of personal guilt rather than genuine empathy for the situation of others.
The study, which was conducted by Bowdoin psychology Professor Zachary Rothschild and University of Southern Mississippi psychology Professor Lucas A. Keefer, concludes that the research on guilt suggests that moral outrage over hot-button issues is sometimes self-serving.

According to the study:

Feelings of guilt are a direct threat to one’s sense that they are a moral person and, accordingly, research on guilt finds that this emotion elicits strategies aimed at alleviating guilt that do not always involve undoing one’s actions. Furthermore, research shows that individuals respond to reminders of their group’s moral culpability with feelings of outrage at third-party harm-doing. These findings suggest that feelings of moral outrage, long thought to be grounded solely in concerns with maintaining justice, may sometimes reflect efforts to maintain a moral identity.

Rothschild and Keefer conducted an experiment in which they assessed the relationship of various emotions. The first portion of their research concluded that the level of a subject’s personal guilt uniquely predicted that individual’s level of moral outrage in response to a controversial stimulus. “Study 1 showed that personal guilt uniquely predicted moral outrage at corporate harm-doing and support for retributive punishment,” the research concludes.

Based on their findings, the study’s authors argue that “outrage driven by moral identity concerns serves to compensate for the threat of personal or collective immorality.”

According to the research’s abstract, one of the several studies conducted by Rothschild and Keefer concluded that outrage is often driven by a desire to affirm a certain moral identity in an unrelated societal context: “Study 5 showed that guilt-driven outrage was attenuated by an affirmation of moral identity in an unrelated context.”

Pages:
Jump to: