Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave - page 10. (Read 49382 times)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner
@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - Yes H.O.A can be annoying but and I totally understand the reasoning.

Oh yeah definitly Smiley

Here they even forbid you to purchase certain type of construction hardware/materials in certain quantity if you don't have your permit to show or aren't a pro, it's that limited Shocked, and the amount of rule is.... you nearly need legal help to understand all of it.

You gave me lots of ideas, that's awesome  Grin

One other question, most of your photos show rigs on the side of the box fan (so on the right), are you going to put racks on both sides ? (prob those sweet racks will go on the left because they blow hot air on their front) ? Since your air input is on the floor on the left, are you going to put rigs directly on top of the vents, or just beside to make a "cool" air column, then pass this cool air into your racks from behind, then air is displaced from the rack to the left, then the box fan pull the air through your right rigs to outside. Something like that ?
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Hey Yun, looks great. Inspired by your work I was about to order a few of the rosewill server chassis to move my rigs into.  I've been mining for years now with open air rigs so my goal was to get better heat directioning and funneling using a "heat wall". 

The one I was looking at is rosewill rsv-l4000.  Is there a reason why you use the rsv-l4500?  They are the same size dimensions and only difference I can find is the l4000 has 2 hard drive trays and 2 fans in front instead of 3 each in the l4500.  Regardless, they would be removed so it shouldn't make a difference right?

Also one of your latest post alluded to the difficulty of installing in these chassis.  I assumed the front fans and hard drive enclosure would be held with screws and can be easily removed. Is this not the case? Not sure what you meant by cutting aluminum.  Was that for that 1 bar that you screw the gpus to?
Activity: 261
Merit: 250
@ Dance191 - So any for Android / iPhone is good or is there a particular one that is best for them?  See 1 for $249 on Amazon.  I will try 1 when it's closer to the hotter months of Spring / Summer.

I have only used the one for iPhone, I have no experience on the Android one.  I have used it on an iPhone 6S Plus & the 7 Plus, works great on both.  

All the negative points I know of (just to point them out):  The software will freeze when you move what it is looking at really fast (it probably can't keep up with updating everything on the screen), but it is very workable as it unfreezes about 2 seconds later.  You learn how fast to move what it is looking at, and even if it freezes it is no big deal.  Also, it runs on a rechargeable battery, not my favorite design idea, but just keep it charged.  The battery does die after about 45 minutes or so but a charge will be enough to get you through what you need to do.

Sorry, it looks like Amazon raised the price on those, but it is still a really good deal at $249.  

Also related to fire safety, I recently started using some "Nest Protect" (2nd generation) smoke alarms.  I haven't had a chance to test them much, but they look to be a solid product.  There is an app on your phone and that app should notify you if there is smoke.  In addition the app will tell you if the batteries run low, they loose net, etc.  In addition, if you have more than 1, they will link over WiFi.  So, if you had one in your home, one in the shed and one in the garage, if any 1 goes off it would cause all of them to go off.  That way you don't have to worry about not hearing the one from the shed if you are in the house (and don't have your phone near by, are asleep, etc).  They are another good fire safety product.  There are not a lot of smoke alarms that will notify your phone and they are the best one I have found with that capability.
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - Yes H.O.A can be annoying but and I totally understand the reasoning. 

@ onefinecoin -  Under $750 I would get them.  Just for the cool factor and less rigs to manage, but it's better for ROI if you just get 2 x Fury or Fury X instead.

@ AmDD - 4 x 30 Amp GFI breakers = 120 AMP to start but it have full access to the 2 x 200 AMP panel right next to it.  Those 30 Amp breaker each are shared by 2 x 30 Amp over subscribed outlet.   The reason for this is that the outlets are very cheap, but the GFI breakers are very expensive and slots in the panel are also limited.  IF you just do 1 outlet per 30 AMP outlet it could be a bit wasteful as some PDU will start tripping at 20-24AMP.  I want to be able to do 24-25AMP without hassle.  For Electrical it is always best to play by the 80% rule so 30 AMP should only be pushing 24AMP but going over a bit more won't kill it. 

@ BTCBusinessConsult - Very cool at current BTC price, scary if it drops to ..................................                    ..........................................
Activity: 546
Merit: 250
Active Trading on EPIC5k and Spectre.Ai
LOL!!! "You are worth more dead than alive"

My wife says that to me whenever she gets mad at me  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never should have told her the amount of the life insurance policy (500BTC) I took out at work in case the unthinkable happens.
legendary
Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005
How many total amps/watts are you running through the shed?
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
What price is good for the Pro DUO in your opinion ?  I have very cheap electricity in my area, so tried to look for some deals but not a lot of sellers out there !
CryptoLearner
very nice story, i had kinda the idea of alot of things you made, but alot of others things i didn't consider, pure awesomeness !

Yeah we have this where i live too before building anything better to refer yourself to the authority because they would take down your stuff themselves otherwise, they're not kidding. You have to have a permit for anything you build. Very annoying sometimes.

very awesome shed !
******************SEXY SHED******************************************
Houston can be very Humid, Stormy and HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I need a Solution to handle all of this.

Why did I choose Wood vs other material?  It's the most cost effective material, easy to insulate and most importantly easier to get approval from H.O.A.  For non USA folks, that is the Home Owner Associations.  They can be a pain in the A$$ for homes built within Sub Divisions to keep every home similar and protect home owner's property value.  

***Sexy Shed V1***
This isn't my first Shed.  My first Shed was bigger and wider designed for Antminer S7s, however I assume all my neighbor was Cool with it.  My left and right neighbor was, the back door Bee......... isn't.  She said I don't want to be looking at your Chicken Shed every day, "did HOA approved this?", and you're on the Easement line.  EPIC Failure.  My brother in law, who's originally plan was to fly down and finish the Shed build for cooling, end up just helping me take it down.  We repurposed it as a Heat Chimney for the S7s in my garage at that time.  Poor guy worked 18hrs days for 3 days before flying home.  

$$$$  Expensive Lesson $$$$$

Fast forward to the HERE and NOW

***Sexier Shed V2*********
Standard H.O.A approval is a max of 6 ft height.  I also am required to build it 8 ft away from my rear house wall and 8 ft away from the Fence which is the Easement line.  I was like WHAT?  My side yard is only 16ft 8" wide, what can I build with 8"?  Please make me an exception and please allow me to build up to 8 ft as I can't walk inside a 5 ft shed since you have the roof eating 6" of the height and it's on 6" high Cinder Blocks.   Please also allow me to build closer to my wall, it's my own property, I'm not bothering anyone.  I originally got approval for 4ft wide x 6 ft high and 10 ft long.  Good but not very useful.  Cozy up to the H.O.A Board and finally got approval for 14 ft long x 8 ft high and 6 ft wide.  PROGRESS!!!

The Build
While Building the Shed, I got a text from my other neighbor Ben saying "Nhan, I see your Backyard Bee peeping over the fence and then running inside the house.  I bet she's calling H.O.A to report you again!".  I said Cool, I got H.O.A Approval for my Chicken Shed V2.0, so everyday at 5AM, my Rig will play a WAV file..................OH OH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, CA CA DOO DOO DOO....................."

The Design
Houston rains a lot and I have a dog who love to do his business on the area where the SHED is.  I don't want to walk in the Mud nor step on Land mines left behind by my Dog Alfie.  It's also lighted so there's no way I will get killed by land mines.  +1 Victory for Dad, - 1 for Alfie

Solution

The Sexy Shed is my play ground so it's designed to house all my Legacy Rig designs and any type of gears I like.  The Garage is all about standardization while Shed is all about customization and testing new fun stuff.  I need a design that can scale as I grow rather than needing to build everything from the start (max power, cooling, etc) due to cost.  The design is made even more difficult because noise would be a concern as I have to worry about the Bee.........  I had to test dozens of different fan options.  Of course the easiest solution is to throw in the most powerful fans, however that requires more power, is noisier and more massive which will eat into my premium tight width.  Noise and privacy was the reason why I chose to point the Fans towards my house rather than the Bee's side.. However sound reflects which means it would bounce back and ricochet to the Bee's house!!!!  

Noise Solution
I need a VERY QUIET design, due to the BEE.....  That's how the Exhaust design came into play.  The idea is to have the sound bounce off the grass. as dirt / grass will absorb sound better than brick.  If I want even lower noise, I can add noise canceling foam along the exhaust inner walls. However this wasn't necessary as my box fans are very quiet.  This design also help protect the exhaust outlet from RAIN. Intake is thru the ground so no noisy additional fans is necessary due to the negative pressure pull from the exhaust fans

There is a bug net under the Metal frame which is design to keep rodents or other pest out.  Works amazing well and I'll happy to report that between my Windeevents in the front garage, and my floor intake with bug net, we're able to reduce Mosquito population for the neighborhood by 99.9%.  One Mosquito did get away but he was trying to suck my blood and I got him so it's now 100%.

The Privacy Solution
I don't do my own grass and I use the same grass cutter for over 8yrs.  I trust him 100%, however I don't trust his employees that is turned over weekly more than MacDonald's hamburger.  I need to have a solution where they can't see what I have in there especially with so many SEXY LEDs saying "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!".  This is why I have the intake air come from the ground vs the side wall.  Not only does this protect from Rain and reduces pollen as the grass will catch most of it as it enter the ground space but no Windows for Peepers to look into.  BUT wait, they can see thru the EXHAUST SIDE!!  

Solution
I built a fence wall that is locked.  This helps protect my shed from stormy weather on the side while the Exhaust design also have it's own roof on top of both the shed roof and my roof giving extra protection from Rain, storms and Peepers.  

The front door also have a Security Camera and a High Voltage warning sign.  This would either discourage people or make them more curious.  I don't know, but either way, Smile, you're on CAMERA buddy!

Followed by another as you enter

The Cooling Solution
I wanted a design that is efficient as we're running fans 24x7 which adds to the operating cost.  It also needs to be quiet and easy to install.  I've tested many different fan options but since the shed's width is so narrow, I don't need both push and pull fans to cool my rigs.  I also don't need as powerful of fans as the rig are very close to the exhaust.  So I designed the studs to be 22" apart vs the standard 16" design.   My support beams are doubled in some area so it's solid as a tank.  This allows me to slide in up to 10 box fans easily for a total CFM power of way more than I would need for a shed this size.  The ideal spots since hot air rise is to start up high but my contractor cut the lower slots first so I just put 5 box fans starting there and will add more if it's necessary later.  In hindsight if they put it up high, that may be all the fans I need.  The shed is currently powering 19 rigs and have tested 86F degrees.  It is usually within 2-4 FT of Ambient temp so it should have no issues handling summer heat.  If I add 3 more fans, it should be very close to ambient temp.  These box fans are very Thermostat controlled so during cool nights and winter, most of them may not be running most of the time.  This save me money.  The fans are also very cheap, weather resistant, quiet and slightly more powerful then standard box fans.  By itself it feels very weak, in a set of 5, the total CFM pulling power is enough to close my shed door when partway open.  I don't need wall insulation as a result to the constant air exchange and my shed is in an area that gets good amout of shades.  8 of these fans may start pulling in Butterflies instead of just mosquitoes.  =)

Radiant Barrier is used to reflect heat away from Roof

Fire Consideration
Unless overloaded, the chances of GPU catching fire is very low.  I have had many instants of GPUs sizzling or risers melting but overall, if you don't feed the fire, it should not spread and is not sufficient to burn your rig.  This is why PCI power risers will be very awesome to use with server PSU.  The biggest source of issues would be cheap Molex to SATA cables.  The cheaper risers Molex cables which you can't visually tell which always get ridiculously hot to the feel.  Throw those out.  But even the good cables, the molex wires can come loose easily on these riser end, they would touch and cause a small fire.  Buy from reputable vendors, use PCI powered risers if possible.  Keep GPU and rack spaced out away from things that can fuel the fire.  Use metal Racks when possible.  But a properly non overloaded rig, should never have any issues.  For safety measure the Shed will only be powerig 60% of it's capacity to allow proper spacing for me to work on the rig and fire safety.

Pink wood is also used to protect the structure as it is more fire and moisture resistant.

Power Consideration
240V is very dangerous, more than plenty to kill you quickly.  It's not something to take lightly especially in an outdoor environment.  The Shed is right next to my 2 x 200 Amp outdoor panel so there's way more than enough Juice to power whatever it needs.  However because it is an semi outdoor exposed structure, I used only GFI Breakers.  They are super expensive at $120-140 each x 4 but nothing compares to our life right?  My wife would argue the other way as she would remind me of my saying "I'm worth more dead then alive.".

2 x 200 AMP Copper BUS panel

White indicate GFI for Shed breakers.  All black breakers are non GFI for the Garage  

My Mining design choice is similar to my life's choice, I prefer to keep things SIMPLE, SEXY and SWEET.

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

i really like your home farm..
but how do you prevent thefts???
really interested!!!
[/quote]

That's easy.  Called a defender 12 guage and a Dog.
CryptoLearner
@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - You will see why wood on my discussion next

Nice eager to see what's your thoughts on this Smiley for me wood was the best heat wise for summer, and also easy to work with, metal was obviously out of the question, but i don't know much about resins/plastic, so it'll be interested to know Smiley

Added to my earlier question, you will probably spoke about it, i'll be interested as your insulation of choice (i think we already did discussed on this) and what filter/grill you used to protect from insect & stuff, have you killed the weed/herbs under it too ? the underside is what interested me the most, im wondering alot of stuff in my head ahah

And again damn why don't we have nice boxfan like this in europe.... they're like unexisting, actually considering ordering some in china Sad

cheers.
@ Schwacke -  I have Sapphire Ref RX470, Nitro, XFX single and dual fans, MSI Armor and Red.  I don't mentioned Gigabyte, Visiontek and PowerColor due to the fact that I used to own those brands and they have poorer resale value.  It doesn't mean they're bad cards as I heard surprisingly PowerColor have decent RAM.  However, it doesn't matter to me as Visiontek and PowerColor always seem to have the worst looks, poorest packaging and resale so I don't bother with them.  You mentioned that you've searched many different forums, which means you should see that performance wise they all are very close in performance after the Mem strap changes for the major brands I mentioned owning.  The rest is based on your preference of looks, size and cooling.  I wont' be able to list out performance number other than Eth at 27MH and 110-130W of power as Zec numbers changes too often per release.

@ unsoindovo -  How do I prevent theft?  My Sexy SHED is in the backyard surrounded by 3 neighbors.  I have a Dog that is very ALERT.  My entire house is surrounded with motion sensor lights and cameras.  They would have to either go thru my front side entrance which would trigger at least 3 motion sensor light before they get there or jump thru my neighbor's house.  My only concerns are curious Grass cutters, otherwise no one knows what I have in the Shed.  The reason why I don't have windows for air intake and use the floor is to avoid curious Grass cutters from looking in.  I do not and will not cut my own grass due to Time, Heat, and most importantly Allergies.  I have a lock in front of the shed and also another motion sensor Security Canary camera inside that will text me and record the action with any motion.   It would be very very time consuming to unscrew and steal my GPUs which are connected to server PSUs.  I also work from home and don't sleep much at night (night owl). 

For the Garage, the RACKs are locked.  They will be sweating their ass off removing each rig as it can only be done from 1 direction which is the exhaust side which is inside my Heat wall.   They will die from heat exhaustion while my motion camera is recording them for the America's dumbest criminals.   My neighbors also works from home and have many Guns.  Good for insurance claims and instant ROI as well if they're able to survive all that.  My MASSIVE Multipoo DOG weighing in a Full 9 lbs will be attacking them.  Kidding, he's a little puppy and also insurance won't pay for everything.  =)

@ onefinecoin - See response to Schwacke above.  When I had the 390s, I tried every single brands to narrow down which Vendors I want to stick to for better Quality, RMA support and design.  I found MSI and Sapphire to be decent with all of the above hence why I standards on MSI  and Sapphire.  By standardizing it helps me to focus on less ROMs and be able to quickly identify issues.  It also helps with my organizing of hundreds of boxes for reselling purposes and very fast for me to flash ROM via command line vs unplug PCIE and do it slowly via the GUI.  Youtube.......... hmmmmmmm....... Laziness.

@ bughatti - Upgrade the stock Fans.  That is a must and everyone need to factor that cost into the equation.  Also it takes a long time to install / cut aluminum so be prepared.  I see many people getting too excited and order 5 or 10 just to return them after finding out how much work it is.  =)  Try 1 first and then decide if it works for you.

@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - You will see why wood on my discussion next

Activity: 154
Hey Yun, been following this thread since 1st post, really inspiring.  Decided to pick up one of those chassis from amazon, will be here sunday and will give it a go.  Any advice not already posted is greatly appreciated!

How much did you pay at your location?

I got a used one from amazon warehouse deals so I paid total 99 USD.

i appreciate if you can share amazon link too...
thank you !!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042
https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964
Hey Yun, been following this thread since 1st post, really inspiring.  Decided to pick up one of those chassis from amazon, will be here sunday and will give it a go.  Any advice not already posted is greatly appreciated!

i appreciate if you can share amazon link too...
thank you !!!
CryptoLearner
Hey, been a while

I was wondering, why did you choose wood (well not metal because obvious but what about resins/plastic) was just a question of price ? easiness ?  for your shed and why not also a flat roof instead of a tip one ? Im begin to look around for my own little project :p

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
I'll second everything Nhan has said about GPU's, he is the master along with many of the more silent forum members, and I am the student.  But my experience with the MSI armors is they are good and reliable, but I'm not sure if batches have changed over time, but the most I was able to get out of them after mem strapping and slight OC was about 25 mh/s dual mining. These are all on 7-rig setups, so YMMV.  The MSI 470/480 red GPU's have been solid performers, in the future I would stick to them and possibly the Nitro+ cards.
Activity: 662
Merit: 500

Pages:
Jump to: