Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave - page 8. (Read 49382 times)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251
@ groovy1962 - It really depends.  If you have to use box fans, those will be louder than the fans used on the Server rack rigs.  So it wouldn't matter.  If you're not using box fans, open air is of course much more quiet.  The fans are what makes all the noises so you can easily control that variable.  IF heat is not the issue, I would do Open Air All the way.  If I were to build a long shed, it would be open air 100%.  Cheaper, faster to install, faster to troubleshoot, etc.  Server rack is not Cheap.  Its' only necessary to fixed an issue...................HEAT.  The extra side benefit is SEXINESS.  But it's very expensive and time consuming.

P.S I can't wait for VEGA 10................Going to be such a huge Game changer with those HBM memories!!!  That's the same ridiculous fast memory that allow the slow Nano card to be able to kill everything out there for ZEC at low wattage.  June can't come soon enough, I have 1 entire Rack just saving up for VEGA 10.  It better live up to the hype!  No more GPU shopping for me.  Time to save up for VEGA 10!
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
OF the two designs I understand you are going with the rack mount because it gives you more control over heat and presumably more density.

But am I correct an understanding that the open case style has less noise?  That to force the air thru the rack case, you need fans with more force and more noise?

Or, is it the other way around-- the closed rack case produces less overall noise (For same number of GPUs)?

Noise is a big consideration in my amateur setup.
*********** STORING BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!*********************

The Larger your farm, the bigger your headache is with proper storage and organization to quickly find that GPU box in time for reselling, match SN# and all.  I don't have a big house so space is a premium.   This being said, most of my storage are in the Attic and it's VERY HOT up there.  So my goal is to be able to make space capable of storing over 2000 boxes such as GPU, PSU, MB, CPU, packing material etc.  I also built a shelf in the garage for Older Gen cards as I know those will be the ones that I need access to quicker for RMA and reselling.  Thank Goodness I don't need to keep the Rosewill boxes!!  That would fill my entire house!

The Plan
1) Quick access to any GPU or hardware box, I need to sell quickly and minimize heat exhaustion
2) Segregate my stuff from the stuff I'm hosting for my buddy

The Solution
1) For things I don't anticipate in selling anytime soon (PSU, CPU, MB, etc).  I put them in a corner that is further away.    Each section is separated (PSU, MB, shipping boxes etc)
2) Oldest Gen GPU boxes are stored in the Garage shelf that can hold over 200 GPU boxes organized by GPU model (390, Ref RX480, etc)
3) Private VIP section for my hosted buddy
4) For GPUs that I just bought and need quick access to in case of returns or whatever reason,  I repurposed my 48" wide rack for this.  I can split 1 rack into 2 halves and each halves can easily hold over 80 GPU boxes so 3 of them in a U shape when I open Attic access can hold over 240 boxes for very quick Access and verification of serial #.  I also Mark the box A for Amazon, J for Jet.com, and N for Newegg.com.  The reason for this is that Newegg is the toughest Vendor to do returns.  Amazon is the easiest.  If you accidentaly send a Newegg.com GPU to Amazon, they would accept as long as its' the same product.  If you sent a Jet.com or Amazon GPU to Newegg, the UPC won't scan or something and they will always reject.  

This solution allows me to just quickly pop my head up and locate the GPU box very quickly and outside of the heat and then takes less than 1 minute to grab it.  This avoid Heat Exhaustion digging for that particular box!  I also put them stack 6 or 7 high based on the same rig where they are installed so if I locate 1 GPU for a rig to sell, the rest are nearby.  Small effort up front but man with hundreds if not thousands of boxes, this is like trying to find a book in the library after a storm without this system!

@bughatti - Don't sweat it bud.  No one is upset at ya.  Who would ever hate a Bughatti?

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
@ Debitme - GPUZ shows you the wattage for all the GPUs but it's only for the GPU not the part powered by the risers.  The best is always via hardware.  For 120V, use killawatt, for 240V, get it from the Metered PDU amperage reading or load if it have software interface.

@ bughatti - Sorry if I made you feel frustrated.  Please don't be.  My point is that it's best to keep this in the closer mining community where it can be used for the right intended purpose.  I certainly wouldn't restrict anyone from doing anything.  I'm just saying think about it first, if you still feel it's the right thing, don't let me talk you out of it. 

@ induktor - Yes, it certainly is an obsession and hence why only miners would understand the sacrifices that we make for this crazy HOBBY.  I agree, although at my level it could be treated as a business but I'm doing it purely for the passion.   All of my referrals, reviews and recommendation are with 0 $ gain to me.  This is why my recommendations are non bias.  The amount of hours I put into this obsession if I break it down as a cost, MacDonald employees probably make more than me.  =)  But I absolutely love mining and feel very bless for being able to do what you love and it happens to make money too. 

@ vapourminer  - Square D makes a good one too.  I can have this side mounted as well but it would require drilling thru the metal panel which I don't want.  The wires are very short and won't reach top.  My Electrician assures me it's high quality and I don't need to look at it daily.  He said he will be happy to come open the panel and check for me every quarter if it makes me happy.  =) 

I say do really good videos that show people how to start.  my thoughts are the more the merrier.  I would love your video to create a run on gpus.  So that they are hard to get and the 32 I have grow in value and  I can sell them at premium prices to the new people you turned on to the game.

Of course i could be wrong Huh

Thanks Phil for the words, the issue is everyone jumped to conclusions from my post.  I never said anything about starting a youtube channel and posting it to the world.  I just use youtube because its easier when I record from my phone and I am no video editor.  The plan was to help the previous question in determining how to make the case fit 7 GPU's since I had just purchased one.  I was in fact just trying to help this specific community.  Either way, Ill be more cautious about my posts from now on!
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
@ Debitme - GPUZ shows you the wattage for all the GPUs but it's only for the GPU not the part powered by the risers.  The best is always via hardware.  For 120V, use killawatt, for 240V, get it from the Metered PDU amperage reading or load if it have software interface.

@ bughatti - Sorry if I made you feel frustrated.  Please don't be.  My point is that it's best to keep this in the closer mining community where it can be used for the right intended purpose.  I certainly wouldn't restrict anyone from doing anything.  I'm just saying think about it first, if you still feel it's the right thing, don't let me talk you out of it. 

@ induktor - Yes, it certainly is an obsession and hence why only miners would understand the sacrifices that we make for this crazy HOBBY.  I agree, although at my level it could be treated as a business but I'm doing it purely for the passion.   All of my referrals, reviews and recommendation are with 0 $ gain to me.  This is why my recommendations are non bias.  The amount of hours I put into this obsession if I break it down as a cost, MacDonald employees probably make more than me.  =)  But I absolutely love mining and feel very bless for being able to do what you love and it happens to make money too. 

@ vapourminer  - Square D makes a good one too.  I can have this side mounted as well but it would require drilling thru the metal panel which I don't want.  The wires are very short and won't reach top.  My Electrician assures me it's high quality and I don't need to look at it daily.  He said he will be happy to come open the panel and check for me every quarter if it makes me happy.  =) 

I say do really good videos that show people how to start.  my thoughts are the more the merrier.  I would love your video to create a run on gpus.  So that they are hard to get and the 32 I have grow in value and  I can sell them at premium prices to the new people you turned on to the game.

Of course i could be wrong Huh
Is there some kind of software that will measure how many watts my rigs are using?

Not that I'm aware of, because the watts pulled at the wall are going to be different-- eg: Add up all the watts used by the cards and motherboard, then multiply it by the inefficiency of the power supply.  (EG: if it's even %90 efficient you're going to be using at least %10 more). 

On top of that there is losses due to resistance in power cords and the like.

You can use things like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MDBU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these days there are even more fancy ones that integrate with Apple Home and other smart technologies.

Many of these support remote control (turning on and off) at the switch, but also monitor usage.  (I don't know if any of them are good for this use or not.)

Here's some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVJKE9I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_15?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFUJM8UR8X25D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3PK5WH/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2EM68VTUA1J0Y
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HSCHOFQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_19?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Note that only SOME of the smart sockets out there support 240V.

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

It's recommended to purchase a 50AMP breaker for your Panel where this Surge Protector connects to.  It's also best to have it connected closest to the Main power feed.  I had to have a few breakers move in order to support this.  My outdoor panel

interesting, my square d whole house suppressor is in a separate box that mounts next to my mains panel. it also has replaceable MOVs, as well as connectors for my phone and cable.
Activity: 710
Merit: 502
@yun9999, thanks for the announcement about supporting the community members and I do agree with you on this.  If you want to be a part of this business and be on these forums and ask for help from the Sr members who have put blood, sweat and tears into their projects, it is always good to support them if we can. 

I have tried to sit and think about your reply to the video for some time to figure how to best respond as I don't want to upset the apple cart here and alienate myself from future help as arguing with the masses always cause more of a headache for the one who brought up the argument. 

Hi!
i have been reading this thread since it's conception, I understand why he said plz don't do a video, I am a youtuber (not full time but , i do tech videos from time to time) and I don't do videos about crypto-mining for one reason, youtube audience is massive, while bitcointalk forum is somewhat limited to the guys that have been on the crypto world specifically.

I agree that make youtube videos of this is not a good idea, but that it's just me, i maybe wrong, the last thing i want is 100000 kids trying to figure it out how to get rich with 1 GPU  Grin

Reading your comment saying about this is a business, i am not entire sure it just is, i do know what it is for me, it's an obsession!, when i talk about it to family,friends, partners i always say BUSINESS (with caps!) but this s@!T is an obsession plain and simple  Grin Grin Grin

I will probably could make more money doing something else, with less investment, and less risk, but i love this, i love to play with top notch hardware and have the perfect excuse to do it  Grin

I love spend days trying to figure it out how to lower power consumption to such a ridiculous level i have never ever thought it would be possible Smiley

so, let's have fun and keep adding cards!
i love this s@it
i can't help it.
Activity: 154
@yun9999, thanks for the announcement about supporting the community members and I do agree with you on this.  If you want to be a part of this business and be on these forums and ask for help from the Sr members who have put blood, sweat and tears into their projects, it is always good to support them if we can. 

I have tried to sit and think about your reply to the video for some time to figure how to best respond as I don't want to upset the apple cart here and alienate myself from future help as arguing with the masses always cause more of a headache for the one who brought up the argument. 

First and foremost, I am not sure anyone from your thread is looking to open a manufacturing plant and run the rest out of business.  You decided to post pictures of your stuff and with that a certain level of questions will always be asked, anyone posting on these forums should understand this.  Being in a forum like this and everyone sharing ideas is what promotes the R&D all these individuals have started with.  Sharing ideas is what got all of us to the point we are at now with this business.  Im sure if you just knew how to do everything you have done to this point, you would be running a massive crypto datacenter making millions.  Instead you researched, asked questions and posted your work on the forum, pictures or videos make no difference.

If we want to keep moving forward in the things we do we must allow for openness and sharing of ideas, if not, might as well just lock the forum down to the select few that have butt loads of money to support each other and let you all run with it.

After reading your post yesterday I decided not to do a video, but am frustrated that I was made to feel that way and that someone else actually felt like they had stepped out of bounds to ask a question.

Activity: 224
CryptoLearner
So it turns out Rue du commerce didn't appreciate me buying 4 GTX 1070 on an American credit card as a first time customer. They canceled my order. Which means I'm going to follow your advice and have a 4 card rig to start. I bought the two cards I need and I'm building the rig. Any advice on a motherboard backing material? I've looked for PVC boards but can't figure out what they're called in French.

Also, I have to use my card to buy coins so I have to buy bitcoins and then exchange for Monero and Dash. Would you wait until BTC falls below $1000 or buy now?

PVC board is basically a sheet of thick plastic where you come & screw your motherboard on (with spacers) some people do it with wood too. Me i prefer doing it with metals bar with spacers, more safe from my point of view.

What card were you trying to buy ? Also why with a US card lol, you could try @ materiel.net, they're pretty nice, and could allow you to purchase with one if you give them a phone call, another way would be to pay with paypal it wouldn't be a problem this way !

Is there some kind of software that will measure how many watts my rigs are using?

For nvidia you have nvidia-smi a tool supplied with nvidia drivers that indicate how many watts you are consuming, but that's only for GPU, so it doesn't take in account what your system draw and also the lose of effectiveness of your PSU, so that's why people rely on wattmeter plugs or gateway to have accurate readings.

no clue for AMD gpus but there is probably a similar tool.
Activity: 847
Merit: 383

Just buy a watt meter.  Kilowatt makes a decent one then x how many rigs you got = total wattage.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
Activity: 560
Merit: 253
Since I have a lot of highly skilled miners in a forum discussing, maybe you could answer a question? I just ordered my first rig. My wife and I've had 2x gtx 1070 for gaming and we're both getting tired of video games. I can run ark on a 1060 so no point in the overkill. We decided to repurpose our cards into a 6x 1070 rig. Only Nvidia makes sense at 0.149 cent euros per kWh.We'll be limited in what we can mine but all ATI hash too slow and draw too much power, even OC and UV. I'll likely build a Vega rig this summer when its out, I think ATI will make a comeback.

My question is this, what do you do with your earnings? I'm debating on holding or reinvesting. I don't want to be the guy that bought 2 pizzas with 10k bitcoins. But this an expensive hobby and I have a vending machine business that needs cashflow as well. So would you hold and in what coinage? Or would you upscale? I'll be adding solar soon, not as part of the profitability but just because we want solar. I'll try and use all excess power mining.

Make a four card rig or five card rig.

Buy some coins with the 1 or 2 cards you did not buy.

To go from two to six cards would be 4 x say 300 or 1200.

Go from two to four cards saving 2 x 300 or 600.

Use that 600 to buy coins. Say 50 xmr.

Don't spend them keep them.

And what ever the four card rig earns. Sell. Instantly.

If you do this hedge. Wait 90 days to decide your next move.

If coins did really good. You have the 50. That you purchased up front.

So it turns out Rue du commerce didn't appreciate me buying 4 GTX 1070 on an American credit card as a first time customer. They canceled my order. Which means I'm going to follow your advice and have a 4 card rig to start. I bought the two cards I need and I'm building the rig. Any advice on a motherboard backing material? I've looked for PVC boards but can't figure out what they're called in French.

Also, I have to use my card to buy coins so I have to buy bitcoins and then exchange for Monero and Dash. Would you wait until BTC falls below $1000 or buy now?
I finally found spotswoods solution:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1731197.0;all

Yes this is a good solution and Rich the owner is very pleasant to work with.  I never did installed mine as I needed a solution that can handle much longer cards like the Furies.  It does add to the final cost but if you hate cutting Aluminum, this is 1 way around it. 

***************** Whole House Surge Protector ********************

After doing lots of research, I was debating between the Leviton and the Eaton Ultra.  My Electrician recommended the Eaton as he have installed many of them and due to their Lifetime warranties.  I have 3 Panels so the cost for the Eaton could help supplement my installation cost.  Surges damages are things we don't considered until it's too late.  

It was a good opportunity to change the Main breaker for my indoor panel from 200AMP to 150 AMP as the wire to the transformer is rated at 150/175AMP max.

It's recommended to purchase a 50AMP breaker for your Panel where this Surge Protector connects to.  It's also best to have it connected closest to the Main power feed.  I had to have a few breakers move in order to support this.  My outdoor panel

Activity: 337
Merit: 250
Guys, please lets not turn this very valuable forum topic in a shitstorm.

Thank you!
I finally found spotswoods solution:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1731197.0;all
No, you're not upsetting me at all.  I'm just saying please don't do a YouTube video on how to create one which could disrupt someone's business.  They spent the R&D time and deserve to recoup some of that.  Just use the knowledge for our own self benefits.  That's all.  We want to keep supporting our innovators.  

Yes, I always have plenty of extra supplies including many PDUs and are happy to hook up our forum members.  Just let know if you need something, If I have spares, I will sell them at reasonable prices.  If I don't I can always refer to you good places to get them.
Activity: 224
CryptoLearner
@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - I went thru the difficult part of testing of many different configuration already as I searched for 2 years without finding anything good other than "Don't do it, yadda yadda for shed".

Yup, hence why you definitely opened my mind & horizon to new solution that i've put aside thinking it wouldn't work ! You're a pioneer ! Again hope to do as good as you, even better  Grin (but that's gonna be near impossible because you did so good, but i like the challenge ahah), and as you justly said in your last post, only people that take risk and are willing to try new stuff will be great, especially against the dismissing peoples around ! Inspiring !

You may have replied to this one already, but in your rack, i saw you put your fans in front of the rack, just to confirm but i kinda know your answer already, they're "intake" fans right ? taking the fresh air from the front and pushing it behind so that your "wall" fans take it outside ?
Pages:
Jump to: