Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave - page 14. (Read 49384 times)

Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
Great way to end the night...............Uncle visited again.

Hey Yun, are you nhando? Why did you stop using that handle?
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
Great way to end the night...............Uncle visited again.

Haha, LOVE the ROOMBA idea.  Genious!   Yeah there's pros and cons to everything.  Never a 1 size fit all solution.  I did want to get commercial space but even at $700/month that's $8400 / year.  That's money I can invest into more HASH rather than have a multi year contract liability.  This is not even counting the expensive commercial power upgrade.  I also know the crazy amount of trips I need to make for installation and maintenance, plus the cost of potentially hiring a part time worker to help with stuff.  It just didn't make financial sense as I have a full time job.  

You run a decent size farm, so I am sure you know that this is not Bitcoin mining, having a lights out operation for GPU mining is still a far fetch dream for large farms.  Even with SRR, we can't control crappy code or greedy developers that keep on pushing our GPU beyond their limits for higher profit at our expense.  New coins will always be buggy, I'm sure everyone remember the ZEC mess when we first started that drained so many hrs of our life but it was so profitable we didn't care!  I didn't sleep much during that time just monitoring my rigs.  The more rigs / GPU and components you have in your place, the higher the chance of something failing that require onsite attention.  

This is the benefit of running it at home.  My home can now support over 500 GPUs between the shed and the garage.  By the time I'm close to maxxing out, it's refresh time so it will be a constant cyle, so I don't think I need to scale beyond this.  The biggest benefit is when I'm tire of mining or want to downsize, I can do it easily without worrying about contracts.   I also enjoy being able to go out to the shed or garage at 3AM in my pajamas or whenever rather than have to get into my car and drive as even 15 mins 1 way is  that's 30 mins round trip.  For Houston everything is min of 30mins away since I'm in the suburb which is 1hr round trip wasted if I just want to fix 1 GPU.  My garage door is fire resistant so once closed, you won't hear any mining sound inside the house so it doesn't bother anyone.  

Similar to the style of the SHED, the mining garage will have it's own Smart TV for rig monitoring or watch Youtube if I want.  I have split screen so if someone is looking for me at work, I would also be able to see it from that monitor.  There are 40 rigs hashing right now in the garage, temp is very comfortable as all the heat are contain within the portable heat wall.  The monitor is on the intake side so the air is always very close to ambient temp, making it very pleasant in the garage.  If I need some heat, I just open my portable heat wall.  I also love to drink beer and so does my local mining friends.  I think that's the best part of the hobby, they would come over n chill, and of course a fridge in the garage is a MUST to chill COLD ones for my friends!  

But not every house is ideal for mining and everyone have different preferences.  That's what makes life wonderful.

My setup station outside of the heat wall.  

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Yeah.. no one knows better than me with europe rates of approx. 28cents / kwh

Lucky me ...decent solar build + cheap energy rate for europe conditions  Wink

holy molly ... 28 cents kwh is so expensive!

Activity: 662
Merit: 500
Yeah.. no one knows better than me with europe rates of approx. 28cents / kwh

Lucky me ...decent solar build + cheap energy rate for europe conditions  Wink
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Activity: 662
Merit: 500
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Server Rack solution working so well and have tested 86F ambient 2 days ago.  Why not add more RACKs?  

LOL.... you are going to need a 2nd floor for you shed soon anh!

Reminds me of when I first started my rigs at home in mid 2015.

By the time, I built my 6th rig during the ETH craze,... and took over the entire spare room... I got a nicely worded "eviction notice" from the wife.

So because I didnt want to be homeless Cheesy... I leased a decent-size modern light-industrial warehouse very near my place, comes with 3-Phase 240v power, building security, carpark, broadband, backup generator and other electrical protection etc.... best long term decision I ever made (and wife is happy too).

So the mancave at home is now a BIGGER mancave at the warehouse with plenty of room, and I can do whatever I want there.... all 33 x rigs (could be more) and a test lab/workbench... 2 x Teamviewer workstations and 2 x Roombas to do the cleaning.... and a 25Ghs X11 ASICs farm...

Did I mention the warehouse unit comes with bathroom/toilet too?  Grin

I am retired so the mining operations I started with my buddies, is kind of a hobby and revenue generator too, so we went fairly big -- but certainly not China massive.

At the rate you are going now (I know how you feel man, the need for speed never stops).... you will soon need a bigger place... more DC like facilities to ensure steady environmentals and 24x7 operations. It will save you money and peace of mind in the long run.

6 months on and still mad on mining.... my group reinvested.... and we went even bigger mining projects --- we cant stop. Well we did finally in January 2017. Our biggest portion of mining operations hosted ISP in Labrador-NFL, Canada - the coldest place on earth. Full on hydro powered 2.2PH BTC mining. We finally came to our senses and stopped expanding and taking a break. So beware of the lure of crypto-mining.... and take a closer look at the ROI and start looking at investing in FINTECH.

After putting SRR system in the coming weeks at the warehouse.... its going to be basically nearly lights out operations. And I probably need to visit the warehouse once a week to clear the tumbleweeds that the Roombas missed.

I need to find a new hobby soon....
That's great to know.   Glad you brought this topic up, these types of things we don't consider until it's too late.  Got too much gears and Houston is lightning Capital.  Just need to figure out which is the most practical / cost effective solution and do this before Summer storms hit.   Seems like a lot of the review are saying they need to be hook up to a 50AMP break that is closest to the incoming main power.  This may mean some shuffling of breakers to free up the slot for this 2 slot 50AMP breaker.
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
@Phil - I'm looking at the Whole house surge protector you are recommending but 1 of the Review said it won't protect from Lightning strikes on Amazon and another guy said it damage all his electronics after a strike but good thing they have up to 25K warranty protection.  Any other better ones?  Electrician said I will need 3 units.  OUCH!

4.0 out of 5 starsSolid design but read the details - it's not for lightning protection
By Mr_D on January 19, 2011
This is a solid designed product with it's own robust metal case which is important for any device intending to absorb a high voltage spike. The enclosure helps contain the blast or discharge from a voltage surge.

However ...
Be sure to read the complete PDF installation guide and use as intended (for surge protection only). The install guide specifically says this product does not provide lightning protection.
It's not designed to handle that.
A direct strike can disable it, and get through to your electronics.

My Electrician recommended this brand.  Price is very reasonable on Amazon which is nice as I need to buy 3 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-109420-Ultra-Surge-Protection/dp/B01AQAKRSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487044384&sr=8-1&keywords=eaton+whole+house+surge+protector

Direct lightning  strikes are tough to fully protect.

I have   4 grounds for my main panel.  1 goes to my cold water copper pipe.  3 go directly to grounding rods  outside my house right near my panel inside the house.

Theory is  the lighting will have 4 paths to follow to ground not 1.  So it takes the easy paths  vs fighting its way through the whole house protectors.

I did have a lightning strike  directly on my a/c  outside the house.    which had a sub panel and an extra ground, only one thing died the compressor which took a direct hit.

the rest of the energy went into the subpanels ground.   you gear is in a shed  if there is a direct hit my guess is the hit would be on the panel.  with the protector in each panel and an extra ground  on each panel the gear may survive.
@Phil - I'm looking at the Whole house surge protector you are recommending but 1 of the Review said it won't protect from Lightning strikes on Amazon and another guy said it damage all his electronics after a strike but good thing they have up to 25K warranty protection.  Any other better ones?  Electrician said I will need 3 units.  OUCH!

4.0 out of 5 starsSolid design but read the details - it's not for lightning protection
By Mr_D on January 19, 2011
This is a solid designed product with it's own robust metal case which is important for any device intending to absorb a high voltage spike. The enclosure helps contain the blast or discharge from a voltage surge.

However ...
Be sure to read the complete PDF installation guide and use as intended (for surge protection only). The install guide specifically says this product does not provide lightning protection.
It's not designed to handle that.
A direct strike can disable it, and get through to your electronics.

My Electrician recommended this brand.  Price is very reasonable on Amazon which is nice as I need to buy 3 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-109420-Ultra-Surge-Protection/dp/B01AQAKRSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487044384&sr=8-1&keywords=eaton+whole+house+surge+protector

Super informative video about the 3 different tiers of Surge protectors.

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/10/whats-the-best-whole-house-surge-protection/
Cant's Stop.................. Wont's Stop!

Assembly Line...................................

Fav father's day gift ever - Dewalt drills and impact drivers

Noticed I'm mixing and matching Fans?  In area where I need to push hot air the most (Bottom rig, middle and top). I use the strongest fans or mix to reduce wattage.  For the rest, I use lower wattage fans.  The strong fans will help push all the hot air evenly from bottom mid and top rigs to my heat wall center and away from my rigs.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
CryptoLearner
Server Rack solution working so well and have tested 86F ambient 2 days ago.  Why not add more RACKs?  

Lol when he's gonna stop  Roll Eyes Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked

my god man, thanks for keeping us dreaming for more sexyness  Wink
Activity: 560
Merit: 253
I have a semi-related question. I ordered a 1700 watt PSU and in the reviews, one guy said to plug it into the wall, not a surge protector. He said his first one burnt up because of that. However, the warranty on my GPU units does not cover power surges. I'd hate to risk that much. What do you do, surge protector direct from wall?

If I can get my electricity price issues worked out I will scale up, but I may need an electrician to put some high capacity plugs in.

do yourself a favor install a whole house surge protector

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88568/LEV-511201.html?

it installs next to your  circuit panel

That's brilliant. We've got Grandma's house at the moment, she passed a few months back. My wife's parents own it and we're debating buying it. The electrician was supposed to come last fall and redo the wiring and put in a breaker. He decided building his house was more important and the wife's parents won't look for another. We're on fuses at the moment so I'm a little worried about frying my mining rig.

So 1700 watt PSU with roughly 1000 watt draw, is there a surge protector that can handle it until I can get some wiring issues worked out?
Server Rack solution working so well and have tested 86F ambient 2 days ago.  Why not add more RACKs? 

legendary
@Marvell1 - Yes, server cases w Rack are more expensive and time consuming to build.  However servicing it shouldn't be that bad.   If you have slide rail, you just slide out the rig, don't screw the top cover, slide it out, recede PCI-E cable.  If we use Quality PSU, there shouldn't be much we need to do with that.  I actually use non slide rails and even with that, I can still pull them 75% out and be able to receded the cables easily.  The benefit of these server cases far outweigh the expense and initial 1 time crazy labor efforts as the heat management is much easier.  I simply cannot scale beyond 250 GPUs in my garage even with the help of a Swamp cooler.  Had 1 and that SWAMP was a @#$@%$ to maintain due to my Houston's HARD water.  I can easily do over 400 GPUs with my current design in the server rack as I can funnel heat better. Intake is always cooler air and hot air is contained inside my heat wall.  Sexiness plus Practical.  Oooh La La.............

@Phillip - If I have 3 Panel, do I need 3 of those whole house surge protector?  I have 2 x 200 AMP outdoor panel and 1 x 200 AMP indoor panel.

@Induktor - 1.2AMP at 12V is only 14.4Watts not regular 120/240V AMPs counted / consumed.  The Scythe and Hawkfish007 fans uses less than 9W each so 3 of them are around 24-27W. The effectiveness of them makes it worth every watts.  Wait until you see my Heat test and how I "bake" every rig for a week before putting them into production.  The effectiveness of these fans are incredible in the server case.  Just look at most people with open air rack filled with box fans which consumes 50-110W each.   Houston Heat.........it's a must.

Not sure  how the outside panels  are setup.

In the example I gave searing     he is    power company transformer ----  {100amp}----[60amp]--- all miners   so having 2 of the protectors should work for him.

you are not wired that way.

I would think you are  

power company transformer  ------ [200 amp] in house
                                      "     ------ [200 amp] shed for miners
                                      "    ------  [200 amp] shed for miners

3 surge protectors one for each panel  seems good.

BUT  that is a little   more complex  and I don't know

i.e.

talk to a licensed electrician  better safe then sorry  and they put the panels in the shed in they should know how to protect with a whole panel protector.

@Marvell1 - Yes, server cases w Rack are more expensive and time consuming to build.  However servicing it shouldn't be that bad.   If you have slide rail, you just slide out the rig, don't screw the top cover, slide it out, recede PCI-E cable.  If we use Quality PSU, there shouldn't be much we need to do with that.  I actually use non slide rails and even with that, I can still pull them 75% out and be able to receded the cables easily.  The benefit of these server cases far outweigh the expense and initial 1 time crazy labor efforts as the heat management is much easier.  I simply cannot scale beyond 250 GPUs in my garage even with the help of a Swamp cooler.  Had 1 and that SWAMP was a @#$@%$ to maintain due to my Houston's HARD water.  I can easily do over 400 GPUs with my current design in the server rack as I can funnel heat better. Intake is always cooler air and hot air is contained inside my heat wall.  Sexiness plus Practical.  Oooh La La.............

@Phillip - If I have 3 Panel, do I need 3 of those whole house surge protector?  I have 2 x 200 AMP outdoor panel and 1 x 200 AMP indoor panel.

@Induktor - 1.2AMP at 12V is only 14.4Watts not regular 120/240V AMPs counted / consumed.  The Scythe and Hawkfish007 fans uses less than 9W each so 3 of them are around 24-27W. The effectiveness of them makes it worth every watts.  Wait until you see my Heat test and how I "bake" every rig for a week before putting them into production.  The effectiveness of these fans are incredible in the server case.  Just look at most people with open air rack filled with box fans which consumes 50-110W each.   Houston Heat.........it's a must.

legendary
I have a semi-related question. I ordered a 1700 watt PSU and in the reviews, one guy said to plug it into the wall, not a surge protector. He said his first one burnt up because of that. However, the warranty on my GPU units does not cover power surges. I'd hate to risk that much. What do you do, surge protector direct from wall?

If I can get my electricity price issues worked out I will scale up, but I may need an electrician to put some high capacity plugs in.

it installs next to your  circuit panel

Just to be clear to all. A typical house is single phase power. I assume this device
is good for 200 amp service as such. (My house is 100 amp).

Does this need to be mounted on the main panel or can it be on a sub panel (60 amp) that is
correctly grounded (100 amp 8 slot neutral grounding screw removed, so it is grounded through
the main 100 amp panel? Long shot someone knows this, just tossing it out there.)

Anyway, just to clarify the instructions below. (Easier question for those who have one)

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706ba3fabeeda794725d88e4f5e57.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/spec_sheets/files/000/022/733/original/leviton-51120-1-installation-instructions.pdf?1442945250

Is it really that easy to put in? Ground wire/Neutral/2 20 amp breakers?
And this is it? Your whole 100 amp or 200 amp house 🏡 panel protected with
this surge protecter whole house device?

For those interested installation instructions above. I did put in sub panel for
my KNC Titans. Just double checking to be clear on this too, from any who put
this device in.

Thanks

yes it is easy.  it is not prefect as it prevents surges  passing through the panel into your home but the surge started in your home it does not help.

outside >>>   panel >> whole house protection >>>>>>   all wire in the home

So  if some how  you do something wrong in the home no protection   since the surge is on the unprotected side .

a really big UPS  in side your home that fails  can do this.

Your idea of having it in the 60amp secondary panel  looks good.

but  get 2 of them.  one on the main panel  one on the sub panel.

Should be better.  and shop for a better price.  I got mine for 109.99 from lowes on a sale  5 years ago.
Activity: 710
Merit: 502
That power button is gorgeous!!!!!! i love it Smiley

I don't remmeber who come up with the solution of using the minibox´s PICOPSU with the IBM bladeserver PSU, BRILLANT!!!! i didn't think of it, but you are right, fantastic combination!! and I use minibox PSUs a lot, I have right now a M2 ATX and M4 ATX PSU powering my fileserver and esx server from solar power (12V battery) so i know them well, excellent choice!.

I think the cards are waay to close together, what temps are you getting when mining?, my first rig was like that with the cards very close together and the cards runs so hot that i had to modify them, now i use them 9Cm appart with a 90mm fan between every card to prevent that the heat from one GPU goes to the next.

i thought about using high power fans to force airflow and prevent this, but the power usage of those fans convince me not to do it.

I have like 20 , NIDEC server fans 7000 RPM PWM controlled, at full power they draw 1.2Amps at 12V its a lot of power!!, i will need at least three fans for every rig of 6 cards so it's a lot of amps !!!!!!!!

tihs post should be sticky, the amount of good info here is fantastic!

indkt
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!

it installs next to your  circuit panel

Just to be clear to all. A typical house is single phase power. I assume this device
is good for 200 amp service as such. (My house is 100 amp).

Does this need to be mounted on the main panel or can it be on a sub panel (60 amp) that is
correctly grounded (100 amp 8 slot neutral grounding screw removed, so it is grounded through
the main 100 amp panel? Long shot someone knows this, just tossing it out there.)

Anyway, just to clarify the instructions below. (Easier question for those who have one)

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706ba3fabeeda794725d88e4f5e57.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/spec_sheets/files/000/022/733/original/leviton-51120-1-installation-instructions.pdf?1442945250

Is it really that easy to put in? Ground wire/Neutral/2 20 amp breakers?
And this is it? Your whole 100 amp or 200 amp house 🏡 panel protected with
this surge protecter whole house device?

For those interested installation instructions above. I did put in sub panel for
my KNC Titans. Just double checking to be clear on this too, from any who put
this device in.

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: