Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave - page 11. (Read 49384 times)

Activity: 95
Merit: 10
" I Hope you read this THREAD MSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have over 200 of your GPUs!" I really wish MSI gets to read that !

Have you considered youtube? Maybe you could take your journey to youtube and help the mining new comers & communities there as well.

Also I see that you just don't mention Gigabyte anywhere Sad . How are the gigabyte & Zotac brands ?
Activity: 64
You're seeking for too much details that will change depending on what mining software and EVEN VERSION. For example first version of Zec uses less than 50% of the power it uses currently.  What's I'm telling is that RX470 in general for the major brands, XFX, Sapphire, MSI, performs very close to one another so just choose what you prefer.  There's not much a performance difference between a 4GB vs a 8GB version for the RX470 after you do the Mem strap mod.  You can google RX470 Polaris mod for Eth for more info.  There are also specific threads on the hash rate for each coin on their specific forum, I'm only going to be able to give you a general idea.

I have read so many forums since August^^
I have 10 Cards. 470, 480, 290x, 3x 290trix, 280x, 390, 7950, 7950 boost. i can say i sell all and buy 470 cause im only mining for the electricity now with the price drop and the power hungry 290s and 390s.

Claymore one rig other rig with simpleminer and claymore newest version for zec.
In the post before i did a mistake. powercolor 470 4GB its hashing with 268 sols.

I know that thing with the mods but dont have so much time for testing this with all cards.

So i think the best is to buy 470s the cheapest i can get with 4GB. then i have them all running i will do my research for modding them.
But maybe i let them stock cause i think 120 wattage and 268 sol is pretty good for zec. Or do u have other numbers?

Thanks again

BR
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042
https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964
This is one of the reasons why I standardized on MSI gaming 5 Motherboards.  You can view from the BIOS which card is having connectivity issues.  No more guessing games.

Phase 2 of the Farm build out (Shed) is starting.

i really like your home farm..
but how do you prevent thefts???
really interested!!!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
You're seeking for too much details that will change depending on what mining software and EVEN VERSION. For example first version of Zec uses less than 50% of the power it uses currently.  What's I'm telling is that RX470 in general for the major brands, XFX, Sapphire, MSI, performs very close to one another so just choose what you prefer.  There's not much a performance difference between a 4GB vs a 8GB version for the RX470 after you do the Mem strap mod.  You can google RX470 Polaris mod for Eth for more info.  There are also specific threads on the hash rate for each coin on their specific forum, I'm only going to be able to give you a general idea.

Out of the lot... my favorite is MSI - the cooling fans (Twin Frozz) is very good and who can beat that glowing MSI Dragon LED on top of the card  Grin
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
@ CryptoWatcher420 -  For RX470 / 480 - An Inch apart if I'm generous, they run very cool unless.  RX480 runs a bit hotter but nothing a box fan can't fix but for the most part, if your exhaust is good, you will never have temp issues with 470/480.  There is absolutely no need to waste rack space spreading them too far apart.  I see people go as much as 4-6" apart which will just spread the heat over wider space and require even more box fans.  The key is HEAT extraction not how do I blow the hot air around better.  Average temperature for RX470 / 480 are usually between 58-78C with some fan speed % to spare.  On some of the hotter days there may be some GPUs hitting 79-86C, nothing dangerous but it is usually 1 card hitting that peak temp while others run about 2-7C cooler.   Armor 480 are not as good at cooling as Armor 480 Red so not all 480s are equal.

Here is the result from the Oven baking test, feeding recirculated 115F Air.  Overall, the server case design with a 6 GPU config which is the best for temp.  The temperature is mostly 72C with 1 GPU at 84C but all GPU still have extra RPM capacity to cool itself even further.  

For R9 290/390 about 2 in apart as they run very hot even with box fans blowing at them.  But in server case since there would be only 5 vs 6 or 7 GPU, their temps are actually very good.  I test all my GPUs types for at least 24-48hrs in the heat oven at 115F, they can all handle it fine.  RX480 and 390s can handle heat better than 470s.  It's best to keep the RX470s below 105 Ambient as current mining software are working the GPUs much harder than the past and is getting as close to Dual mining.  

@ Dance191 - So any for Android / iPhone is good or is there a particular one that is best for them?  See 1 for $249 on Amazon.  I will try 1 when it's closer to the hotter months of Spring / Summer.
Activity: 261
Merit: 250
Sounds awesome dance191.  I have a Laser temp reader.  I don't have much experience with the FLIR but looking online, it looks very cool. It shows the overall device to show spots where temp differences are but is there a color coded map of what each color = what temp?  How do I quickly identify if the cable is beyond a safe temp?  

The very center of the FLIR will display the temp, but only for exactly what it is pointing at with the "crosshairs".  

The work flow is this, you just scan over an area with the FLIR, looking at a "group" of things.  If one appears much hotter than the others, you zero in on the one that is hot and see exactely how hot it is as there is a temp reading for what is in the center "crosshairs" of the FLIR.  Picture looking at say 20 PCI-E cables at once, if one appears hot you zero in on that one.  Otherwise keep moving.  I scan all electrical connections about once a month.  This includes several thousand amps of panels, all electrical distribution (PDUs/outlets), PSUs, machines, etc and it takes about 20 minutes (once you have done it a few times, say an hour for the first time).  Not only is it fast, it is very accurate.  Being able to "see" heat is really helpful when looking for bad connections as you literally see bad connections. 

With the FLIR you get lots of warning, things start to melt when they read about 180.  But, you will see them when they start out at about 110, creap up to 120 a month later, 130 the next month, etc. 

Look for the one that attaches to an iPhone/Andriod.  Last I looked they were $200 each.  There are lots of expensive FLIRs, but the $200 one works great.  
Activity: 462
Merit: 258
Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader
    Everyone's preference is different so it's hard to say what is "BEST" as what is best for me may not be Best for you.  Some like the Looks, some like reference style blower some prefer normal fans, some like LED, some dont, etc.  I many different brands of RX470s.  From a mining perspective the majority of the major brands, XFX, Sapphire, MSI, hashes roughly the same after Mem strap Mods so it all boils down to your preference.  There are GEMs that can do more but not always.  

I chose MSI 470 RED because I really like the looks and the Twin Frozr cooling.  It look SEXY and expensive compare to the other RX470 because it's a massive card.  It also runs so cool that the fans often stop which I thought the rigs crashed.   From a quality stand point do I think they are excellent?  I've had my fair stint of RMAs with MSI.  I don't believe they always use the best quality parts, they just package it in a nicer shell then everyone else.   Their Armor line for 470 runs hotter but have been stable for me.  Their Armor 480 are garbage.  Sapphire's QA is very poor as the initial batches, when you peel off the protection plastic stickers, the Serial numbers also went off.  They quickly fixed that issue but using razor blade to separate them.  However on the flip side their RMA service is phenomenally good and Quick.  XFX is ok but seems to run a bit hot for my taste compare to MSI, their RMA process also requires more work but was decent.  

If I were to do it all over again?  I would still choose MSI or Sapphire but I'm not going to be as heavy on MSI anymore as they screwed me hard on the last RMA where their MSI Gaming 5 shorted all 7 of my GPUs.  I Hope you read this THREAD MSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have over 200 of your GPUs!

Yun9999 thank you very much for the info. You are awesome.
This is the best thread I have EVER come across for scaled mining setups!

Question to all, based on these sales; what card would you choose?
https://slickdeals.net/deals/video-card/

This all depends on what type of miner you are.

New to mining / Testing water
Get 1 of each of the cheapest RX470 that you qualified for.  All the brands for RX470 will work together in the same rig so it's not a problem.  Buy it cheap, learn and compare which brands you like best. If you don't like mining you don't lose much from those purchasing price point.  You would more than likely profited from the mining / resell.   Once you advance, you can modified the mem strap, real easy with Polaris editor and RX470.  They also uses less power than RX480 while the performance is quite close unless you have special 480 ROMs.  

Intermediate
Still RX470 when they're cheaper than $140.  It only need mem strap alone to hit 27MH for Eth and can do 270+ Sols for Zec with Simplemining.net OS .  If you can get Reference 480 cards(Blower type) for cheaper than $180, those are very solid cards and super easy to MOD ROM.  They can hit 29-31MH and the low Power ROM doing 29MH uses only 110-115W of power for Eth.  I would not bother with the 31MH ROM unless it's a 1-3 GPU rig combo with all 3 GPU have good ASIC quality.  I only takes 1 GPU with poorer quality ASIC to hang the entire setup.  For Non reference 480, it's a bit more challenging.  Buy from the Vendor you like but don't expect all RX480s to perform the same with just simple Mem strap copy from 1500 to 2000.  Some will do 24 while others after boosted MEM clock can do 29-31MH.  Crashes are imminent unless you have great ROM made for that vendor type unlike Ref 480s.  I now enjoy Sapphire Dual BIOS very much with the switch.  If I screw up, flip the switch and fix it.

For Me???  The Pro Duo which is basically a 2 x Fury X card.  It can do over 950 Sols for Zec.  Just need to drop another $150 and I'll take 10.  =)

May i ask you wich one of the 470s are the best u would buy?
I think i will order some of them then cause here a 470 still costs about 200€.

BR

This all depends on what type of miner you are.

New to mining / Testing water
Get 1 of each of the cheapest RX470 that you qualified for.  All the brands for RX470 will work together in the same rig so it's not a problem.  Buy it cheap, learn and compare which brands you like best. If you don't like mining you don't lose much from those purchasing price point.  You would more than likely profited from the mining / resell.   Once you advance, you can modified the mem strap, real easy with Polaris editor and RX470.  They also uses less power than RX480 while the performance is quite close unless you have special 480 ROMs.  

Intermediate
Still RX470 when they're cheaper than $140.  It only need mem strap alone to hit 27MH for Eth and can do 270+ Sols for Zec with Simplemining.net OS .  If you can get Reference 480 cards(Blower type) for cheaper than $180, those are very solid cards and super easy to MOD ROM.  They can hit 29-31MH and the low Power ROM doing 29MH uses only 110-115W of power for Eth.  I would not bother with the 31MH ROM unless it's a 1-3 GPU rig combo with all 3 GPU have good ASIC quality.  I only takes 1 GPU with poorer quality ASIC to hang the entire setup.  For Non reference 480, it's a bit more challenging.  Buy from the Vendor you like but don't expect all RX480s to perform the same with just simple Mem strap copy from 1500 to 2000.  Some will do 24 while others after boosted MEM clock can do 29-31MH.  Crashes are imminent unless you have great ROM made for that vendor type unlike Ref 480s.  I now enjoy Sapphire Dual BIOS very much with the switch.  If I screw up, flip the switch and fix it.

For Me???  The Pro Duo which is basically a 2 x Fury X card.  It can do over 950 Sols for Zec.  Just need to drop another $150 and I'll take 10.  =)

Thanks Tytanick!!!

How many of us wakes up just to find that our rig was down in the morning or after coming home from work?  The more rigs you have, the more costly this is for you.  Remember the ZEC coin introduction?  Holy Cow, this product could have help us so much!  It was so profitable but requires non stop monitoring and rebooting.  ZEC at the ridiculous start was one of the fastest way I made a full BTC last year.  This is why I'm so excited to try out Simple Rig Resetter that Tytanick produced.  I will do an extensive review once I have it on the different RIG configurations and how it compares to APC and other PDU switching options.

Many of us are shy to try Linux for mining including myself but he makes it ridiculously easy that my 10 yrs son can be mining in 30 mins.  You simply use a 8GB+ USB drive, Flash it with the easy program on his site, Plug it in and change 1 config file plus register your account and BAM!  You can save a lot of money on SSD, no need to open up firewalls, VPN or use teamviewer, yadda yadda.  All managed on a simple website.  You can be mining so many different coins and different pools which even for an experience miner as myself would have issues doing on Windows.

So if you haven't tried out simplemining.net OS, go check it out.  If you like ZEC, you must try Simplemining.net OS and Optiminer, holy cow the performance with Furies, and other cards.  Claymore just finally caught up to Optiminer but even he said there are limitations with the drivers for Windows and certain cards won't be able to get the max performance under Windows.  

www.simplemining.net
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mining-os-simpleminingnet-manage-your-gpu-farm-the-easy-way-30-days-free-1541084

Can you tell my level of EXCITEMENT with this OS and SRR integration?  I'm ready for Simple OS!
(Blue/Purple Flash drive is for RX image, Red is for FLAMING FAST FURY R Image)

legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1096
Simplemining.net Admin
Nhan, your order of SimpleRigResetter has been shipped Smiley
It should be in your hands in about 10-13 days.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0

Activity: 95
Just an amazing post and discussion. I am starting new and such information is very valuable and motivating!!!!
Sounds awesome dance191.  I have a Laser temp reader.  I don't have much experience with the FLIR but looking online, it looks very cool. It shows the overall device to show spots where temp differences are but is there a color coded map of what each color = what temp?  How do I quickly identify if the cable is beyond a safe temp?  

On the topic of Temp -

Because heat and excess humidity means death to Electronics, I'm very conscientious on both.  Electronics prefer humidity range around 40-45% so having low humidity isn't necessarily good for them either due to increase in static charges.  Our GPUs put out a lot of heat so it will wipe out a lot of the excess Houston humidity.  ASROCK H81 as well as some other MBs have a dehumidifier features where if it senses too much humidity, it would power on the board just to remove the moisture if you enable the feature.  For more arid places, a swamp cooler is a good addition as long as you keep them at least min of 6 ft away in the event that the filter is not properly align and the unit spits out a ton of water.  

I have a Canary Security camera that shows me in real time for Temp, Humidity and Air Quality.  It also can alert me for temperature above a certain range or any motion activity / upload the video to my cell phone.  Another cool feature for the Canary is that I can click on Call Police, Fire Department, Ambulance or sound a very loud Siren to scare away unwanted visitors.  Fantastic investment, however I do not trust it's temp reading 100%, so both the Shed and the garage unit are paired with another Temp sensor.  What I find is that in general the Canary is 4-6F higher than actual which is fine as I now know to deduct that from it.  

Picture of Canary next to another Temp / Humidity sensor.

Picture of what I can view on my cell phone for live Temp / Humidity and Air quality.  These pictures were taken on different days, so the temp won't correlate.

Garage

Super Shed

Activity: 261
Merit: 250
This is also where I touch and "feel" all the SATA to MOLEX cables.  They looks like the same AWG thickness but some vendors uses very CHEAP cables that will burn down your rigs.  If the cable feel burning hot, those are the ones that will melt later or cause small fires.  Not a cheap plug, but this is why I only buy from trusted vendors who are also miners themselves such as Hawkfish007.  No riser batch will be perfect but he at least do sample testing and stands by his product so any issues, he takes care of it for me fast

Regarding hot cables, there is a FLIR you can buy for I think only about $200 (it plugs into an iPhone/Andriod).  Honestly, probably the best piece of hardware I have purchased.  You can scan tons of connections and spot bad connections in seconds and it gives you a very accurate temperature reading.  I have hundreads/thousands of the same connections and it is amazing how every now and then one stands out from the crowd and gets really hot.  Really an essential piece of equipment if you have lots of rigs/electrical to check, I couldn't recommend it more.
I love what you did with server racks. I mean it does impact cooling performance a bit but for the big time miner much more efficient to manage a shit load of rigs and direct heat where you want.

No, it doesn't impact cooling.  Think wind tunnel, the hot air won't get stuck in a wind tunnel vs stale air in open air rig if you don't have box fans.  Plus open air rigs, recirculate the hot air over and over.  Box fans just keep moving the same hot air.  My design does not.  It takes in cool air and blow out the hot air.  The better the seal / vacuum the more efficient it is.  Before all I invested this large amount of money, I did a lot of heat stress testing on both designs within my heat wall including different fan configurations.  I feed both open air rig and server case rig with recirculated 115F heat.  Which one do you think did better?  Most would guess open air but it's not.

In this same oven, is where I bake all my new rigs for at least 24hrs before I send it to it's final location.  The reason for that is, if it's going to fail, it will fail even faster at hotter temp.  

This is also where I touch and "feel" all the SATA to MOLEX cables.  They looks like the same AWG thickness but some vendors uses very CHEAP cables that will burn down your rigs.  If the cable feel burning hot, those are the ones that will melt later or cause small fires.  Not a cheap plug, but this is why I only buy from trusted vendors who are also miners themselves such as Hawkfish007.  No riser batch will be perfect but he at least do sample testing and stands by his product so any issues, he takes care of it for me fast.  

My garage intake ambient temp should never reach 115F as the hot air is not recirculated.  I haven't had the need for intake fans (all via negative pressures) yet so I am able to avoid box fans.  I try to keep things minimalist as possible.  I currently have over 40 rigs or close to 280 GPUs (Not all are 7 gpu configs) running in the garage.  In a similar setup like this, typically you would see at least 4 x 7200 Exhaust fan for the volume size, some intake fans, maybe 1 or 2 Swamp cooler and many many box fans while still not able to keep the temp down.  Just imagine how much wattage, noise and cost that is to buy and maintain each month if I need that much gear!   Efficiency to me is SEXY but lowest operation cost / maintenance is SEXIEST.

P.S I made some edits to remove the wording of UGLY box fans as I know we all have them (I still use in my shed for Exhaust), so it may offend many...............  haha

legendary
Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038
Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar
I love what you did with server racks. I mean it does impact cooling performance a bit but for the big time miner much more efficient to manage a shit load of rigs and direct heat where you want.
Pages:
Jump to: