Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave - page 5. (Read 49382 times)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10
@ Myffas - I test all my GPUs with this Baking temp for 2 days.  This doesn't mean I recommend running GPUs at that temp, it just means if there's any failure, it will show up faster with higher heat temp.  MSI Armor 480 run very hot.  They're not as efficient as the MSI red.  Even then it depends on the RAM and ASIC, etc.  If you have 7 GPU in a rig, it wouldn't be surprising to see 1 run 10 C hotter than the next even if it's on an open air rig on the outside vs middle.  I recommend trying to maintain Ambient temp 95F or less for longer GPU life if possible.  As long as the intake air is in that range or lower, you're fine.  390s handle heat the best but they also run stupid hot and then it's 480.  The 470 are very stable but do get flakey once ambient temp is 100F or higher if you're not using box fans.  Armor 480s are my least favorite although the Armor 470 are very stable.  Both run hotter than the RED version.

Yun, thanks for your insight about card’s ability to handle heat. How would you rank the references cards sapphires 480 and 470 compared to the other ones?

These blower versions were great for my whole house GPU heating system. Your thread made me think about sharing my experience of home heating. I've been able to maintain my house at a stable 24°C when outside temp was close to -30°C. I'll take the time to share a few pictures when I'll finish this expansion.

Just to complete my fan design, does is happen that your hot side gets higher than 115F when your intake is at 95F? It seems that two choices may make sense: cheap GPU cooling (armor's) with expansive industrial fans or good cooling on GPU (Red's) with medium capacity exhaust fans. The decision all ends up into each cards maximum exhaust temperature, while supply is at 95F. I may be a bit too technical about this, but I agree with you, over engineering can cost a fortune.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
@ Myffas - I test all my GPUs with this Baking temp for 2 days.  This doesn't mean I recommend running GPUs at that temp, it just means if there's any failure, it will show up faster with higher heat temp.  MSI Armor 480 run very hot.  They're not as efficient as the MSI red.  Even then it depends on the RAM and ASIC, etc.  If you have 7 GPU in a rig, it wouldn't be surprising to see 1 run 10 C hotter than the next even if it's on an open air rig on the outside vs middle.  I recommend trying to maintain Ambient temp 95F or less for longer GPU life if possible.  As long as the intake air is in that range or lower, you're fine.  390s handle heat the best but they also run stupid hot and then it's 480.  The 470 are very stable but do get flakey once ambient temp is 100F or higher if you're not using box fans.  Armor 480s are my least favorite although the Armor 470 are very stable.  Both run hotter than the RED version.

@ Citronik - Do you have it running with only 4 cards too? I was planning on using some for Vega 10.  Some will be used with my new PICO PSU setup.  Going to play with some fun new designs styles.

@ Philip - Is it possible you can test with Win 10 ?  Win 7 have more limitations, hopefully this isnt the case for these under Win10 and Linux.  The deal was too good, I don't want to return them.  You can install Win10 for free to test.  P.M me if you have any questions.

I will test with simple mining os as I am running that for six of them.

Thank you Phil, the test will prove very valuable for those of us that ordered a large number of these MBs.

well  as I suspected

I tested them with smOS  and a no go.

These are great for 4 cards no risers  with win 7 win 1 and smOS and Eliovp pandaos will all do well with 4 cards no risers.
   I did 10 builds with these only 1 failed board running 4 cards no risers.  but I have never gotten mor ethen four to run for any length of time.

this is my hope for a good board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2V0AHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will test it next week  i know it will do 5 cards maybe 6 cards.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100

@ Citronik - Do you have it running with only 4 cards too? I was planning on using some for Vega 10.  Some will be used with my new PICO PSU setup.  Going to play with some fun new designs styles.

@ Philip - Is it possible you can test with Win 10 ?  Win 7 have more limitations, hopefully this isnt the case for these under Win10 and Linux.  The deal was too good, I don't want to return them.  You can install Win10 for free to test.  P.M me if you have any questions.

Thank you Phil, the test will prove very valuable for those of us that ordered a large number of these MBs.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
@ Citronik - Do you have it running with only 4 cards too? I was planning on using some for Vega 10.  Some will be used with my new PICO PSU setup.  Going to play with some fun new designs styles.

@ Philip - Is it possible you can test with Win 10 ?  Win 7 have more limitations, hopefully this isnt the case for these under Win10 and Linux.  The deal was too good, I don't want to return them.  You can install Win10 for free to test.  P.M me if you have any questions.

Win10 is OK with them but I tested only 4 cards (w/o risers).
That was their OS before I got smOS to fully run them.
4 rigs on 4xNanos and 2 rigs 4x480s on this Biostar Z170 board.
Phil has them on m2 storage I think.
legendary

Activity: 735
Merit: 500
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
what do you think of the strix rx 480 ? i have a single one of them mining with my r9 380 and r7 270 mining zec
Activity: 414
Merit: 251

legendary

@ Philipma - Congrats on the Uncle!! BTC prices went up a lot too so that's another bonus.  Those MBs look sexy!!!  You don't plan on using Risers correct?   Since you're going to buy some MBs, let me give out my Secret early so you can compare your options.

7 GPU MB Currently at *********50% off sale*********** with the NewEgg coupon on the site.  Brings prices down to H81 level and watch the Video Clip.  The LED SHOW is SO DAMN SEXY!!  Dual BIOS too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138421

P.S I am not 100% sure if all 7 GPU will work for this MB until I test it out.  However with 30 days returnable, I'm not worry so I stock up with 3 accounts to different address and got 15 of them.  Reviews to follow.   Watch the VIDEO!!  CRAY CRAY!

That mobo looks familiar! I do have 6 rigs in production with these 4 slotters like Phil, no risers.
The 4 slots version perhaps is the GT4 variant. Does it have an touch-base ON/OFF switch?
LED dancing lights was bundled into the mobo package. Cant remember or check because I am out of town.
Phil may can feedback as he has some review on the RMAs etc. too

Looking forward to your review of the board.
Are you waiting for solely for the Vega cards to test the mobos?
I have asked my Sapphire supplier to give me a peek in the Vega release date....

those are my boards well at least the ones I use.

they wont do more then 4 cards in win 7.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

@ Philipma - Congrats on the Uncle!! BTC prices went up a lot too so that's another bonus.  Those MBs look sexy!!!  You don't plan on using Risers correct?   Since you're going to buy some MBs, let me give out my Secret early so you can compare your options.

7 GPU MB Currently at *********50% off sale*********** with the NewEgg coupon on the site.  Brings prices down to H81 level and watch the Video Clip.  The LED SHOW is SO DAMN SEXY!!  Dual BIOS too.

P.S I am not 100% sure if all 7 GPU will work for this MB until I test it out.  However with 30 days returnable, I'm not worry so I stock up with 3 accounts to different address and got 15 of them.  Reviews to follow.   Watch the VIDEO!!  CRAY CRAY!

That mobo looks familiar! I do have 6 rigs in production with these 4 slotters like Phil, no risers.
The 4 slots version perhaps is the GT4 variant. Does it have an touch-base ON/OFF switch?
LED dancing lights was bundled into the mobo package. Cant remember or check because I am out of town.
Phil may can feedback as he has some review on the RMAs etc. too

Looking forward to your review of the board.
Are you waiting for solely for the Vega cards to test the mobos?
I have asked my Sapphire supplier to give me a peek in the Vega release date....
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
I just went again over your temperatures because as I am designing ventilation for my next expansion. I saw you were baking your rigs at 115F intake temp. Wow that's hot! Have you tried your MSI armor at this temperature as well?

I’m asking these questions because I’m about to rent a small building that lucky has a small garage door on one side and a roof heat exhaust. I'll replace the garage door by rain proof louvers and add fans to upgrade the natural heat exhaust.

I'm located north, near Montreal. There are not many hours per year over 35°C, so it's my design point. I'm trying to define an acceptable output temperature. I’m planning to use open air rigs on racks similar to the ones you have in your shed and force air through the racks just as you very well described.
Needed CFM can be calculated knowing temperature difference and power consumption. Any insight on acceptable max air temperature when intake air is at 35°C? Furthermore, these not so good at cooling, the MSI armor ones, are so cheap that I’m considering designing my ventilation for them.
Activity: 735
Merit: 500
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
nice i just seen 2 server racks and a storage robot at a place called restore its a place ran by habbitat for humanity

50 bucks for each i almost bought a rack
@ bittawm - I'm not sure as they're not all mining Eth.  Probably over 11 GH if I have to guess I have a lot of R9 Furies but I'm not mining eth with Furies as they're more efficient on ZEC.  Only half of my rigs are mining ETH.

@ sirslayer -  I would say, I had less trials and many many more errors.  =)  My Shed build and Garage build out is almost complete so finally I have some cycles to go after opportunities that I previously have to pass up on.  If it goes thru, it would be 1 of my largest and Sexiest projects EVER!  It will be in Commercial space and hopefully grow to such large scale that it will make my Garage setup look like Childs play.  We're still in early talk so nothing is firm yet.  But the IDEAs in my HEADs are ready to FLOW and yes, I will be involving a lot of my Team members that I met and build great relationship with over the years from this Bitcointalk forum.  

@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - I think the P85 should be a good card and alternative to the H81.  Although I'm going to return it as I got 15 of these new SICK 7 GPU MBs coming in preparation for my VEGAs .  Got them for a crazy deal that I can't pass up on so I have over 20 MBs just on standby for some GOOD GPUs.  I want to have less RIGs but more HASH per rig.  Less to manage = Less work = Less Headache = More fun.

legendary

Today is a hot Day at 86F................

It is both HOT!!!!!!! in both the SHED as well as in the Garage............... Good day to be drinking ice Cold Vodka Cran to keep me cool.  

Glad I got my monitoring station setup for Garage a few nights ago.  

Activity: 224
CryptoLearner
Biostar P85 just arrived.  But I got something even better coming so I decided not to even bother with this MB.   The build quality look decent for the price and this gives everyone a cheap 6 GPU options whenever the H81 is not available at only $69.99.  Everything looks higher quality then the ASROCK but only time will tell.

A quick picture to show the size difference compare to the ASROCK H81

Stay tune to see which EXCITING NEW SEXY 7 GPU MB I decided to proceed with as the LGA 1150 is an aging platform.  

HINTS - IT WILL BE FAST, RACING FAST and have VERY SEXY LIGHTS!!!  Lights also dances to the music...........HMMMMMMMMM

I would have liked to hear your opinions after testing this one, because im looking for an alternative of the asrock because it's becoming hard to source it here. We'll see your next solution then Smiley
Activity: 540
Merit: 501
chickens and cryptos
i really like reading about your trials and concerns on doing a datacenter @ home, yun9999. with that type of experience, I can see you in the future doing something great in a field related to your hobby but in a commercial scale. Like a conductor at a concert , you can get everyone's talent to focus to a cause on a bitcointalk.org forum ..  which is full of dreamers..  im looking forward to read more of your adventures in building a [email protected] maybe my dream of setting one up at my home can come true..  thank you yun9999 for sharing your dream!!!  

legendary
Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087
what is your total MHS per day
Activity: 156
Activity: 231
Biostar P85 just arrived.  But I got something even better coming so I decided not to even bother with this MB.   The build quality look decent for the price and this gives everyone a cheap 6 GPU options whenever the H81 is not available at only $69.99.  Everything looks higher quality then the ASROCK but only time will tell.

A quick picture to show the size difference compare to the ASROCK H81

Stay tune to see which EXCITING NEW SEXY 7 GPU MB I decided to proceed with as the LGA 1150 is an aging platform.  

HINTS - IT WILL BE FAST, RACING FAST and have VERY SEXY LIGHTS!!!  Lights also dances to the music...........HMMMMMMMMM

Pages:
Jump to: