Pages:
Author

Topic: Deception & Misdirection by ZEC co. Forking ASIC Resistance Bitmain Antminer Z9 - page 11. (Read 4620 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

I believe the majority of devs for alt-coins would agree ASIC's [At this current time] are a plague to this space.  Mainly because one manufacturer runs the show and therefore risks centralization of mining by one dominant party with potentially more than 50% of the network hash.

NO ONE COMPANY should be trusted with the manufacturing and distribution of money printing machines.

With that said, I can see your point and agree with you in regards to AN INDIVIDUAL being oppressed by their government in regards to hardware costs, import duties, VAT, etc... to price you out of being profitable as a GPU miner.  I'm sorry, but for the sake of decentralization in mining of a coin, we cannot throw decentralization of mining to the winds so those who are oppressed by their government can mine with hardware that WILL NOT PROMOTE DECENTRALIZATION IN MINING.

YOU are the one who is whining!

I suggest you invest your energy and efforts towards your oppressive CENTRALIZED government rather than complaining about the community of a DECENTRALIZED CURRENCY not cooperating with your oppressive CENTRALIZED government to make getting into mining more financially viable for you.

So again, heres the thing. ASICs do not equal centralization, anyone can buy them, run them, and point them where they want. All you people talk about decentralization as it is some buzzword to trump all others when I dont think you quite have the grasp of what it is. Just because Bitmain is the first to release a miner, does not make it the only manufacturer capable of producing them. You realize Innosilicon, Halong, BW, Obelisk and Baikal (im probably forgetting one or two) all make altcoin ASICs as well right? In the bitcoin space there is even more competition. Just because bitmain is the largest doesnt make them the only one.

Heres another example of your centralization fallacy...I run a large datacenter. I manage over 10,000 GPUs here (and 11k ASICs). As a bulk buyer I get priority over other customers when I order GPUs, and I can run as many as I want here. The only difference is the GPU systems are a pain in the ass and the ASICs are more of a 'set it and forget it' item. Large scale mining on GPUs is already happening...do you really think the shortage of cards was from you hobby miners running 6 or 12 cards? No it was people like me buying them by the thousand until the market ran out of cards to sell. The 12 cards you run versus my 10,000 doesnt help with decentralization at all by your definition of it. You use the word ignorance, which is a bit funny because you are a shining example of it. You read all this crap on the forums about ASIC BAD, then regurgitate it like it was your own independent thought.

P.S. Ill put your few years of hobby mining up against my years of experience in this industry if you want to brag about how long you have been doing it.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader

then will come the Z9 Monster with 10X hashrate of the mini - rinse and repeat....

I agree with this statement. Seeing that the Z9 mini consumes only 300 watts while in operation, it tells me that this miner has a small handful of ASIC chips inside. Bitmain has definitely made this miner underpowered, which is a good strategy since it's still enough to wipe off all GPU's anyway, and still give the owners of these miners a reasonable profit. From a marketing point of view it was a great move to not build their most powerful ASIC at first, and instead released an underpowered one at a hugely inflated price with phenomenal margins.

If Zcash doesn't fork, they'll come out with a more powerful variant with a TDP of 1000-1600 watts, and it'll be 5-10x more powerful but with similar efficiency ratings, and probably a similar pricepoint. Bitmain's playing this game smart.

And another who took the RED PILL and knows the truth.

It took me a couple of years from 2014 to figure this out before I got out of ASIC mining and stopped supporting BITMAIN.

Welcome, and keep spreading the RED PILL to others.

Regards,

David

aka:  ProwdClown on Trading View and ZCash Forum:  https://www.tradingview.com/u/ProwdClown/         https://forum.z.cash/t/let-s-talk-about-asic-mining/27353/2295
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
You guys are blinded by your own greed and it is hilarious. The only reason you want it to stay GPU is because you dont want to spend money upgrade equipment.

ASICs are a good thing. They strengthen the network ten fold over GPU hashrate. They are cheaper to buy and run than a GPU mining rig.

You guys talking about how you supported the project by mining it are so full of crap. You mined it to make a profit, you dont care about the direction of the coin until it isnt making enough money for you.

You talk about how BTCP, BTG and BitcoinZ are forking away from it. Who cares? They are shitcoins cloned off of other peoples hard work. Zcash actually brought something original to the table, being the first coin to incorporate zk-Snarks and its zero knowledge proof.

Also this crazy idea that miners were "used" to build the hashrate to be good enough for an ASIC? What kind of idiocy is this? Go look up Bytom.....a coin that was unminable until the ASIC came out from bitmain that was developed in concert with the Bytom team.

I mean how have you been taken advantage of? You mined coins and got paid right? You chose to do that, you profited from it, now you are crying about it. The hypocrisy is undeniable.

These wild conspiracy theories should be scrubbed from this forum before some poor fool reads it and believes all of this garbage.

Could not agree more. I am getting 90%+ money back for my 1080ti-s that i bought a year ago and switching to Asics. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more efficient, what's not to like ?

I used to be like you when I first began mining in June, 2014.  I was always there to support BITMAIN and defend them from those who spoke ill of them.

HOWEVER, as I continued in the mining space longer I began to see how one company's domination of the space was a threat to decentralization.  That domination also created many other benefits for Bitmain.  Especially, in the trading space to make it easier for them to manipulate markets.  The list goes on and on.

I hope some day you will also take the RED PILL instead of remaining content in your ignorance.

Do NOT think when I use the word, "ignorance" that I'm insulting your intelligence; because I'm NOT.  For I too was IGNORANT at one time.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
So because he mines with ASICs hes a bad person?

P.S. Its actually cheaper for someone in a third world country to buy and run an ASIC than it is to build a MUCH MORE expensive GPU system that requires paying 4-5x the amount of import duties and makes less profit. Maybe you should spend less time dreaming of a better world and more time paying attention to the reality of this one. So you can proudly say you are a GPU miner even though it is meaningless at least you can pat yourself on the back. You have no fundamental grasp of how mining works yet you come here talking shit to someone with more skin in the game that you can ever afford to have.

The stupidity in this thread is overwhelming.

I believe the majority of devs for alt-coins would agree ASIC's [At this current time] are a plague to this space.  Mainly because one manufacturer runs the show and therefore risks centralization of mining by one dominant party with potentially more than 50% of the network hash.

NO ONE COMPANY should be trusted with the manufacturing and distribution of money printing machines.

With that said, I can see your point and agree with you in regards to AN INDIVIDUAL being oppressed by their government in regards to hardware costs, import duties, VAT, etc... to price you out of being profitable as a GPU miner.  I'm sorry, but for the sake of decentralization in mining of a coin, we cannot throw decentralization of mining to the winds so those who are oppressed by their government can mine with hardware that WILL NOT PROMOTE DECENTRALIZATION IN MINING.

YOU are the one who is whining!

I suggest you invest your energy and efforts towards your oppressive CENTRALIZED government rather than complaining about the community of a DECENTRALIZED CURRENCY not cooperating with your oppressive CENTRALIZED government to make getting into mining more financially viable for you.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
Yeah, it is a pretty lousy situation. ZEC has been my preferred coin for the past year. Sold most of it and moved my miners to Raven. Seems like a shitcoin with a future. I don't really see any downsides to it.

I picked up a z9 just to try it out. It will run simply to mine and sell. No hodling. Once it becomes unprofitable to run into the recycle bin it goes.

At first I though you all were being dramatic but the more I read the more I agree with the general consensus of this group.

Thanks for having an open mind and taking the RED PILL.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

First thing that comes to mind is that when you're a GPU PoW coin, its possible to develop an asic in secret and basically take over the network without anyone knowing.

If you're already on asics (fastest tech available atm), you're not vulnerable to stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=P6B-ZCyP6K8
Activity: 348
Merit: 119
Vote submited ... you know my choice my friend Cheesy
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

what they should do is, yes, postpone sappling and deal with the ASIC mess right away.  Priority should be given to what they said first, which is remain ASIC resistant, alter the algo to eliminate any threat of ASICs... sappling and any other upgrade came after the statements on ASIC resistance and forking off ASICs.

Who the hell are you to decide how they prioritize their work?  First of all, there is no ASIC threat or mess. There are just ASICs, which are the natural progression of how coins are mined. ASICs are a good thing to everyone except end users that are worried about nothing more than their profits. Go mine some other shitcoins and stop posting this nonsense before someone actually takes you seriously.

Another idiot stating some kind of "natural progression of things."

The developers of a blockchain decide WHAT is to be "natural" on their blockchain and what "progression" is to occur on their blockchain.  If the developers determine they want an ASIC-Resistance algorithm, then they have determined what they want to be "natural" on their algorithm and what will or will not "progress" on their algorithm.

NOTE the following excellent proposal for PROG POW algorithm:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=P6B-ZCyP6K8

PROG POW LINK:  https://github.com/ifdefelse/ProgPOW

All you're doing is proving to the community you're nothing more than a "Shill" for BITMAIN.
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader
You guys are blinded by your own greed and it is hilarious. The only reason you want it to stay GPU is because you dont want to spend money upgrade equipment.

ASICs are a good thing. They strengthen the network ten fold over GPU hashrate. They are cheaper to buy and run than a GPU mining rig.

You guys talking about how you supported the project by mining it are so full of crap. You mined it to make a profit, you dont care about the direction of the coin until it isnt making enough money for you.

You talk about how BTCP, BTG and BitcoinZ are forking away from it. Who cares? They are shitcoins cloned off of other peoples hard work. Zcash actually brought something original to the table, being the first coin to incorporate zk-Snarks and its zero knowledge proof.

Also this crazy idea that miners were "used" to build the hashrate to be good enough for an ASIC? What kind of idiocy is this? Go look up Bytom.....a coin that was unminable until the ASIC came out from bitmain that was developed in concert with the Bytom team.

I mean how have you been taken advantage of? You mined coins and got paid right? You chose to do that, you profited from it, now you are crying about it. The hypocrisy is undeniable.

These wild conspiracy theories should be scrubbed from this forum before some poor fool reads it and believes all of this garbage.

Who the hell is this NEWBIE?  You have absolutely NO CLUE what the hell you are talking about and only worthy of an "ignore."

GPU Miners are supposedly all "greedy."  Yet, this idiot makes no comments as to BITMAIN's greed and desire to control and dominate the entire PoW space.

Simply ignore this ASIC-Shill.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
I'd like to share some thoughts on the criticism that zcash is moving away from being decentralized with ASIC equihash miners coming out. The zcash network hashrate is already centralized and has been for a while. Flypool has had over 51% of the nethash for A REALLY REALLY long time, and that hasn't been criticized nearly as much as it should be. Why? Because miners love the luck flypool provides, and the money that comes with it.
Activity: 72
Merit: 11

then will come the Z9 Monster with 10X hashrate of the mini - rinse and repeat....

I agree with this statement. Seeing that the Z9 mini consumes only 300 watts while in operation, it tells me that this miner has a small handful of ASIC chips inside. Bitmain has definitely made this miner underpowered, which is a good strategy since it's still enough to wipe off all GPU's anyway, and still give the owners of these miners a reasonable profit. From a marketing point of view it was a great move to not build their most powerful ASIC at first, and instead released an underpowered one at a hugely inflated price with phenomenal margins.

If Zcash doesn't fork, they'll come out with a more powerful variant with a TDP of 1000-1600 watts, and it'll be 5-10x more powerful but with similar efficiency ratings, and probably a similar pricepoint. Bitmain's playing this game smart.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059
DAG was something, since you need a hard drive for it..until developers learned how to put them inside GPU memory....waiting for the next innovation  Cool

Yes it was and the next innovation will be moving from gpus/asics etc.. to a mobile mining/staking coin process, the next step in decentralization will be with mobiles, everybody has it, a blockchain in every mobile.

I'm imagining my mining room full samsung galaxy s9 plus LMAO.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
DAG was something, since you need a hard drive for it..until developers learned how to put them inside GPU memory....waiting for the next innovation  Cool

Yes it was and the next innovation will be moving from gpus/asics etc.. to a mobile mining/staking coin process, the next step in decentralization will be with mobiles, everybody has it, a blockchain in every mobile.
legendary
either money is involved or ZEC co. is just too proud to admit that they aren't smart enough to make a truly ASIC resistant algo hehe

There is no "truly ASIC resistant algo" forever, if you are a developer, you need to keep updating your own algo 6 in 6 months to render the previous useless. That is how is done. It's not about they are not smart to, it seems they dont want to cause they probably were already bribed by asic companies to keep as it is.

bribed or not the their mining cut/tax remains...so why bother?

I was also thinking, why make ETH ASICs this late if ETH is going for POS? the manufacturers must be selling used mining equipment..

...maybe we should look beyond "algos" because being an algo is what makes mining cpu-gpu-fpga-asic compatible..ever increasing DAG sure made ASICs a bit late I believe..equihash is an easier job for ASIC companies.

DAG was something, since you need a hard drive for it..until developers learned how to put them inside GPU memory....waiting for the next innovation  Cool
Xtreme Monster
either money is involved or ZEC co. is just too proud to admit that they aren't smart enough to make a truly ASIC resistant algo hehe

There is no "truly ASIC resistant algo" forever, if you are a developer, you need to keep updating your own algo 6 in 6 months to render the previous useless. That is how is done. It's not about they are not smart to, it seems they dont want to cause they probably were already bribed by asic companies to keep as it is.
legendary
Xtreme Monster
It's pretty obvious that Zooko took a bribe from Bitmain.

Not only him, every developer who let bitmain do anything they like. I would stay away from all of those coins, also put in that list ripple, stellar and any scamcoin like them.
Activity: 60
Merit: 0
It's pretty obvious that Zooko took a bribe from Bitmain.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
This subject needs to remain on top. As a warning to greedy devs.

Sounds like GPU miners like yourself are the greedy ones?

Another ASIC dog unmasked "cryptotore"
Bitcointalk:
Show the last topics started by this person.

"Hi,
I would like some help with a design to sound proof 10-20 Antminer S9's.
I've been searching but havent really found any good threads on it, hope its ok I create a new one.
This is my goal:
-Be able to run 10-20 S9 in my garage without bothering the neigbours."

"Got 6x S7 coupons valued at 0.05 BTC each available for sale.
0.025 each
0.12 for all"

Why dont you go, and start and support a ASIC coin  - SOB.

And YES i will proudly say I am nice size GPU miner and I supported a lot of projects since 2012 with donations to devs and to list coins on exchanges. Also, as for many here mining is my hobby. I dont drink, smoke or party and money is not the most important think in my life. in blockchain i see future for better world. where a GPU owner/miner in afrika or asia could provide for his family without sale his kidney to a greedy F...k like you.
WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE CRYPTO COMMUNITY, BESIDE PROFITING OF COINS, THAT OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM SUPPORTED FROM THE BEGINING?

So because he mines with ASICs hes a bad person?

P.S. Its actually cheaper for someone in a third world country to buy and run an ASIC than it is to build a MUCH MORE expensive GPU system that requires paying 4-5x the amount of import duties and makes less profit. Maybe you should spend less time dreaming of a better world and more time paying attention to the reality of this one. So you can proudly say you are a GPU miner even though it is meaningless at least you can pat yourself on the back. You have no fundamental grasp of how mining works yet you come here talking shit to someone with more skin in the game that you can ever afford to have.

The stupidity in this thread is overwhelming.

As you say "The stupidity in this thread is overwhelming"

So then why are you here??
nice burn
Activity: 854
Merit: 277
liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !
I hope Bitmain will do at least 1 pump, then I get rid of my last 199 Zcash  Grin

Since last Monday over to Monero, after more then a year of all my rigs on Zcash.
I know, you can expect a lot in Crypto, but this ?  

they did !!! as expected... but who knows... they have deep pockets and it may just be the beginning.... or the end !

Hey everyone, I recently did this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPdnG03eI58) showing some of the recent Deception and Misdirection that the ZCash team has pushed on us all over the last 1.5 years and ofcoarse more recently over the last week with the announcement of the Z9.

Yes, Zcash is a scam, always has. Why? first the trusted stepup is completely unreliable from the get go, but now with all the behaviors that you documented... it is total unconsciousness to support this chain in anyway.

ZEC is beautiful example of how a shitcoin can get a high valuation...

Furthermore the behavior, and censorship is totally unacceptable. it's the virus musk(it), a very contagious illness, made of arrogance and lack of respect for investors.

and there is zero decentralization with this coin, everything rest on the shoulder of a censoring master... what a shame for those who have been fooled...

the rush for the exit is going to be fun Smiley.

Very true if this is supposed to be a decentralized coin than why is one man pulling the strings  

sometime evident questions are left out of the price, but once they return... Smiley.

I would like to know what makes asics better at securing the network than gpu's?  
Also some idiot saying that gpu miners jump ship if another coins is more profitable...So do asic miners. You only have to look at BTC and BCH if one is more profitable than the other to mine they simply switch their asics to that coin.

We all saw the posts when zec first started .. making promises at being asic resistant....in order to be resistant you have to actually resist. its so easy to say your resistant when there is nothing to resist against.

I would like to see the 20% paid by the miners put to some good use and use the 20% to pay the devs  for their time to fork away from asics and actually keep their word.

Everything the OP has stated is true and in my opinion if they dont fork away from asics they should be held liable for their lies and deceit. They are no better than Bitconnect it my eyes.

First thing that comes to mind is that when you're a GPU PoW coin, its possible to develop an asic in secret and basically take over the network without anyone knowing.

If you're already on asics (fastest tech available atm), you're not vulnerable to stuff like that.

That's not a pleasant scenario.

On the other side, it's a lot more secure when there's one dominant ASIC manufacturer that already has a healthy xx% of the hashrate and can easly build enough to get over 50%. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Totally invulnerable. Cheesy Cheesy

Also does the eth network seem vulnerable? You'd need quite a lot of ASICs (assuming E3 eff) to get over 50.

And how many persons/companies could actually build and design an ASIC that could take over a network like Zecs? Assuming the devs would not treat changing algos like some design of the 8th world wonder, and fork like Monero did?

One poster wrote it earlier...

Why stop mining? if it is the most profitable dump it !!!

and then as he said, nice post by the way, is about locking user in
to have captives, that they call "community". with gpus and fpgas you can switch at will, with asics, the algos must be used by other great chain and devs... dispersion etc.

Pages:
Jump to: