Pages:
Author

Topic: DNotes 2.0 - Staking, CRISP Interest, DNotes Pay - page 96. (Read 148848 times)

Activity: 846
Merit: 535
The True Value in Blockchain - Permission less - Decentralized

Great educational audio tracks! The team is doing really good work with the limited budget it has on disposal. Can't wait to see how this coin will rise up when the first round of funding will be completed and the team will have access to additional funds. The future looks really promising guys Grin

The immense value behind these excerpts is that people can see the wisdom behind Alan's thinking, and the DNotes approach. One quote that I saw and have remembered ever since was there "There is no short pathway from smart to wise". There is a ton of smart people in our industry, but most of us are yet very immature, like rough diamonds. Wisdom is much more rare. It is the central reason why we lend so much to others' experience, of which in a nascent industry there tends to be little, so we must look to experience in other similar situations like prior pioneering industries. The smart learn the lessons of those who have walked the walk before them -- which from where I'm sitting, appears to be the only short pathway to becoming wise by avoiding the same pitfalls and following the same winning strategies. That is what these videos highlight. 
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029
We are working on it. Troubleshooting why it's not picking up some of the minting transactions. It should, and it is all being recorded in the database. However,  in my discussions today, we discussed Electrum may not be the best option for watching all of your staking wallets, there are some bigger bugs and issues related to staking. Including the Electrum wallet is limited to 1,000 transactions. With 1 minute blocks and multiple addresses, that can add up pretty quickly. So we are recommending not using Electrum for staking wallets until we can spend a good deal of time to do a major upgrade on it TBD.

These are short term issues, and the Electrum wallet was really created as an easy way to manage smaller amounts of funds and quick transactions. For now you will have to use another option for watching and tracking your staking wallets.

Exporting from the QT wallet is the best option, even if you have to sort and remove the orphan minting blocks. In excel that is just a matter of sorting or filtering. But the block explorer or history API call in Abe are good options as well, you will have to do it by address, but you won't have to remove the orphans.

Thanks for the heads up. So, just curious, is the 1,000 transactions limited to the life of the wallet? And yes, I'm sure all my addresses have logged more than that many transactions by now!

I'm using the QT wallet for now. I have noticed that while the wallet will still work, the blockchain does corrupt just as easily as any other blockchain. I've had some interesting experiences with total balance inaccuracies that were corrected upon a fresh download of the blockchain. I do like the fact that even if the chain is corrupted, the wallet will still function. Nothing like having to wait for the whole thing to download again just to make a withdrawal that you thought would only take a minute Wink

The QT exports work fine, and I've figured out how to get rid of the orphans (you sort by "confirmation" and delete all the "false" rows and you're good to go). A wallet repair feature I've seen in other QT wallets is a command or button that will clear all the orphans from the wallet itself. I'd love to see that feature added to DNotes QT, but since it's a slight enhancement without which life goes on just fine I can see that being closer to the bottom of the priority list.

I like the idea of going the API route for watching multiple addresses, and when I decide to delve into that further I will definitely check out the Abe API calls you shared.

1,000 inputs for electrum wallets for now, 10,000 total history it will show. But I'm sure we will be able to raise that with a few upgrades in the future. It does make a really nice mobile or lite-weight wallet. So I suspect even for normal pay use, we will have to raise it or provide an alternative down the road. I just came to realize that was a limitation in Electrum.  

The only way the blockchain gets corrupted is if it gets corrupted locally on your machine when say there is something like hard drive issues, hard shut downs, that sort of thing. If it was corrupted, I would think the wallet stops working or gets stuck on a specific block as it reads the blockchain. The greater blockchain on the network itself would reject any false/corrupted data. You will have the occasional glitch, but those are easily solved, usually by restarting the wallet. I am beginning to suspect the issues you are having, if they are with the QT wallet, are more procedural.

Are you using multiple wallet files? And when you swap wallet files are you also swapping the data files with it? Or doing a rescan when you swap wallet files to pick up your transactions that belong to that wallet?

For example, let's say you have AWALLET and BWALLET. You update AWALLET, up to block 100. Then you swap just wallet.dat to BWALLET and open up the QT wallet. Any transactions that occurred for BWALLET up to block 100 will not show in the QT wallet. This is not obvious behavior, unless you understand that the QT wallet is reading each block as it downloads, and only storing for quick reference the data related to the wallet that is active while downloading.

You can manage this by making backups of the entire data directory for the that wallet. Or by downloading the blockchain from scratch when you swap wallet files. Or by doing a rescan. But the easiest way is to backup the entire data directory with the wallet.

Also, there is a repair wallet function that can be run from the console menu. I suspect what you want is rescan, which to run rescan for desktop you would do dnotes-qt.exe -rescan from the command prompt in the directory where the qt wallet program is located. That will sync the local blockchain and the current wallet to show your transactions.

From my standpoint, these are all the complications that most users shouldn't have to worry about, some will by choice of course. Not to mention they come with significant risk. Cold staking combined with the DNotesVault, along with some upgrades to the DNotesVault, will make this process super easy for the user to participate in supporting the network and earn staking reward without requiring a deep understanding of the technology just to use it and as close to 100% safe as possible. All we need is time and money, hah.

Edit: Note that Electrum will still show the correct balances even over limits. We are just having a problem with it showing and calculating some staking transactions right now.

I meant the block chain on my computer. I haven't moved DNotes wallets around much until very recently. However, the new Windows computers (home edition) tend to randomly restart for updates if it thinks you're not using it. Since I would have the wallet open, then it would abruptly shut down the wallet and I know from experience that can corrupt the local copy of the block chain. With other wallets, the wallet plain won't run. With DNotes, it seems to run the wallet, but then I find weird glitches in the address totals.

This is one of those times when I wish I had a bit more programming knowledge. I can only observe from the outside and speculate on the reasons.

I honestly had no idea there was this much nuance to qt wallets. Now I see why you've worked so hard to develop end user options that do not require that kind of maintenance. It's nice that even those options will allow the end user to benefit from CRISP payments.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 102
Greek Court Accepts New Russian Extradition Request for Accused Bitcoin Fraud Suspect

https://dcebrief.com/greek-court-accepts-new-russian-extradition-request-for-accused-bitcoin-fraud-suspect/
Activity: 327
Merit: 16

Great educational audio tracks! The team is doing really good work with the limited budget it has on disposal. Can't wait to see how this coin will rise up when the first round of funding will be completed and the team will have access to additional funds. The future looks really promising guys Grin
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111
DNotes

legendary
DNotes
We are working on it. Troubleshooting why it's not picking up some of the minting transactions. It should, and it is all being recorded in the database. However,  in my discussions today, we discussed Electrum may not be the best option for watching all of your staking wallets, there are some bigger bugs and issues related to staking. Including the Electrum wallet is limited to 1,000 transactions. With 1 minute blocks and multiple addresses, that can add up pretty quickly. So we are recommending not using Electrum for staking wallets until we can spend a good deal of time to do a major upgrade on it TBD.

These are short term issues, and the Electrum wallet was really created as an easy way to manage smaller amounts of funds and quick transactions. For now you will have to use another option for watching and tracking your staking wallets.

Exporting from the QT wallet is the best option, even if you have to sort and remove the orphan minting blocks. In excel that is just a matter of sorting or filtering. But the block explorer or history API call in Abe are good options as well, you will have to do it by address, but you won't have to remove the orphans.

Thanks for the heads up. So, just curious, is the 1,000 transactions limited to the life of the wallet? And yes, I'm sure all my addresses have logged more than that many transactions by now!

I'm using the QT wallet for now. I have noticed that while the wallet will still work, the blockchain does corrupt just as easily as any other blockchain. I've had some interesting experiences with total balance inaccuracies that were corrected upon a fresh download of the blockchain. I do like the fact that even if the chain is corrupted, the wallet will still function. Nothing like having to wait for the whole thing to download again just to make a withdrawal that you thought would only take a minute Wink

The QT exports work fine, and I've figured out how to get rid of the orphans (you sort by "confirmation" and delete all the "false" rows and you're good to go). A wallet repair feature I've seen in other QT wallets is a command or button that will clear all the orphans from the wallet itself. I'd love to see that feature added to DNotes QT, but since it's a slight enhancement without which life goes on just fine I can see that being closer to the bottom of the priority list.

I like the idea of going the API route for watching multiple addresses, and when I decide to delve into that further I will definitely check out the Abe API calls you shared.

1,000 inputs for electrum wallets for now, 10,000 total history it will show. But I'm sure we will be able to raise that with a few upgrades in the future. It does make a really nice mobile or lite-weight wallet. So I suspect even for normal pay use, we will have to raise it or provide an alternative down the road. I just came to realize that was a limitation in Electrum.  

The only way the blockchain gets corrupted is if it gets corrupted locally on your machine when say there is something like hard drive issues, hard shut downs, that sort of thing. If it was corrupted, I would think the wallet stops working or gets stuck on a specific block as it reads the blockchain. The greater blockchain on the network itself would reject any false/corrupted data. You will have the occasional glitch, but those are easily solved, usually by restarting the wallet. I am beginning to suspect the issues you are having, if they are with the QT wallet, are more procedural.

Are you using multiple wallet files? And when you swap wallet files are you also swapping the data files with it? Or doing a rescan when you swap wallet files to pick up your transactions that belong to that wallet?

For example, let's say you have AWALLET and BWALLET. You update AWALLET, up to block 100. Then you swap just wallet.dat to BWALLET and open up the QT wallet. Any transactions that occurred for BWALLET up to block 100 will not show in the QT wallet. This is not obvious behavior, unless you understand that the QT wallet is reading each block as it downloads, and only storing for quick reference the data related to the wallet that is active while downloading.

You can manage this by making backups of the entire data directory for the that wallet. Or by downloading the blockchain from scratch when you swap wallet files. Or by doing a rescan. But the easiest way is to backup the entire data directory with the wallet.

Also, there is a repair wallet function that can be run from the console menu. I suspect what you want is rescan, which to run rescan for desktop you would do dnotes-qt.exe -rescan from the command prompt in the directory where the qt wallet program is located. That will sync the local blockchain and the current wallet to show your transactions.

From my standpoint, these are all the complications that most users shouldn't have to worry about, some will by choice of course. Not to mention they come with significant risk. Cold staking combined with the DNotesVault, along with some upgrades to the DNotesVault, will make this process super easy for the user to participate in supporting the network and earn staking reward without requiring a deep understanding of the technology just to use it and as close to 100% safe as possible. All we need is time and money, hah.

Edit: Note that Electrum will still show the correct balances even over limits. We are just having a problem with it showing and calculating some staking transactions right now.
legendary

legendary
DNotes
legendary
DNotes

i think we are getting ahead of our selfs here. these people have been credited with so many things in the history that is beginning to be hilarious to look at. anyway, the educational project is a good idea and is a sign of a solid project and dedicated devs.

Great job DNotesEDU. I too have read many stories of the Knights Templar as well as the history of ciphers in medieval and even pre-dating medieval times, if they did use a form of cryptography to identify the owner of treasure that is quite amazing and makes for quite an interesting article.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100

i think we are getting ahead of our selfs here. these people have been credited with so many things in the history that is beginning to be hilarious to look at. anyway, the educational project is a good idea and is a sign of a solid project and dedicated devs.
legendary
DNotes
Trust is Invaluable in Financial Services - Poison in the Well

Merit: 102
Merit: 310
AKA RJF - Member since '13
Just a heads up, Electrum server may be down temporarily.

Good ole QT, tried and true, just keeps chugging along, staking it's little butt off!  Grin
legendary
DNotes
Just a heads up, Electrum server may be down temporarily.
legendary
DNotes
Thanks for the information. I wonder if the Electrum read only wallet would export a private key for each address that suits the Electrum format and then I could import those into a new fully functional wallet? Just thinking out loud. I won't be able to try it until much later today.

I still have the issue that it's not showing a lot of the recent minting transactions (my read only wallet). It did, however, pick up on two deposits (sent from an exchange) during the same time period that the minting transactions are missing from. That part seems really strange to me.

legendary
I am trying to create a new Electrum wallet using a list of private keys. I'm entering one key per line, and once I get all the keys in, the NEXT button stays grayed out. Is there a special way to separate DNotes private keys in Electrum so that the software will recognize the keys?

Update: I experimented a bit and I can see that as soon as I input a regular DNotes address (to make a read only wallet), that NEXT button immediately lights up so it's available to click on. But even when I enter only one private key and make sure there are no extraneous spaces, the NEXT button stays grayed out.

What am I missing?

Update 2: I went ahead and created a read only wallet by using all my addresses and that seems to work except that the wallet is stuck at a day behind, or seems to be. It's showing no transactions from today, even though there have been quite a few minting instances. I thought that since it doesn't have to download the block chain, syncing would be instant. Is there a way to force a sync on this wallet?

Also, does the Electrum wallet export transactions?

Update 3: I checked the network and it seems to be on the correct block, but it doesn't seem to be catching all the minting transactions, at least not the recent ones. I'm looking for a way to keep track of my balance and obtain good records that I can export, but that doesn't seem to be happening with the Electrum wallet.

This is from a electrum wallet.
Try this for the importing of a private key.
Click File > New/Restore
Name your wallet
Enter this private key
L1bFdKHgpxoHSSNniYf8pjZfUA43TzFLGk7vLBgQdJcBibzhRvUL
Click Next.
That is one I just created and put 10 DNotes in. Let me know if that works for you.

Syncing of the blockchain is instant, unless the electrum server was behind. It is up to date right now.
I would also check your wallet against the block explorer, to ensure it matches as well: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/note/

So I checked with one my wallet addresses and see it's not picking up, at least some of the transactions in watch only mode. The electrum server is either missing some information (need to rebuild database) or isn't reading certain transactions. We will have to look at it further to see why.

Edit: I'll have to get back to you on transferring private keys from a different wallet.

So I did what you said and imported the private key you posted into a new wallet and that worked just fine. I notice it starts with an L. I don't have my private keys right in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they all start with V. Maybe Electrum doesn't like that. So, it may be that I need a way to "convert" private keys that start with V into private keys that start with L?

The wallet is definitely not up to date on all the transactions, so I guess that's something for you guys to look into.

In the mean time, does Electrum have an export transactions feature? That would be the most useful feature of a read only wallet.

I thought I needed to "rebuild" my qt wallet in the sense that I needed to start with a brand new wallet and import the private keys. I started doing that and the process was so slow that I thought something else was wrong. So I downloaded the entire blockchain from the beginning and that sped things up. But then while importing private keys I noticed that the time stamp on transactions was not correct, and that would definitely wreak havoc on trying to record my transactions. So, I wondered if maybe the blockchain had gotten corrupted, meaning the original wallet.dat file might be fine after all. So I loaded up that wallet and then checked each balance against the block chain and it all checked out. But it was in between noticing the new wallet didn't have the correct timestamps and figuring out that my old wallet.dat was just fine after all, that I thought of Electrum and gave it a whirl, hoping it would both accurately record transactions and be able to export them. But I ran into issues with importing private keys and now the server not being up to date on read only transactions. So at the moment I'm back to using my qt wallet as a "read only" as in I haven't unlocked it, just using it to watch... But I do have Electrum installed so am happy to help test anything you need with it Smiley

The electrum wallet and qt wallet absolutely use different formats for generating the private key. Though I'm fairly certain you should be able to import or sweep into electrum from the QT wallet. Not something I tested originally, so it will require a bit of a deeper dive.

If you were importing a private key into a fully updated QT wallet, it was likely slow as it has to scan through the entire blockchain, block by block, to find all of the transactions. Similar to the way it does when it downloads the blockchain from scratch. The blockchain is only about 80 megs of data right now, but it takes several hours to download because it has to read all the information as it downloads to determine what belongs to your wallet.

Electrum does have export options, under the wallet menu, you can export History.

Other options you can use:

Export CSV or watch from the explorer: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/note/ upon address lookup.

https://abe.dnotescoin.com/q
We also recently added a few API calls for Abe explorer including transaction history. Which we will be using for a different project. 
https://abe.dnotescoin.com/chain/DNotes/q/address_history/YOURADDRESS

Thanks for the information. I wonder if the Electrum read only wallet would export a private key for each address that suits the Electrum format and then I could import those into a new fully functional wallet? Just thinking out loud. I won't be able to try it until much later today.

I still have the issue that it's not showing a lot of the recent minting transactions (my read only wallet). It did, however, pick up on two deposits (sent from an exchange) during the same time period that the minting transactions are missing from. That part seems really strange to me.
Activity: 846
Merit: 535
The commissioner's comments are encouraging, but I generally wouldn't have much faith in the ability of the actual decision-maker ability to think through and come to rational conclusions. A decision like this is normally down to corruption or incompetence (being wrong). Since the commissioner has spoken out and made some rational conclusions of fact that shouldn't be difficult to arrive at (except for her staff), we can deductively remove the former as an option. It is only a matter of time until bitcoin etf's. They will keep trying.

Great work on the interview. I throughly enjoyed it.

Those rational conclusions would be a lot easier for bureaucrats if they were able to better respect their roles. That was part of this commissioner's overall argument, in fact - that the SEC's decision represented an expansion of the agency's regulatory role beyond what was intended by its empowering acts of Congress. She apparently recognizes that the SEC's merit-based assessment represents a serious threat to individual choice, which is a core element of personal freedom. Rather than assessing whether the current markets can meet the basic threshold required for satisfying existing law, the Commission instead substituted its own judgment about the nature and maturity of those markets - unwisely denying those investors the opportunity to invest in digital currency on their own terms.

I agree that ETFs are all-but inevitable. It's just unfortunate that the path to greater liberty and opportunity so often runs through the confused and tangled woods of an unelected and all-too-often unenlightened bureaucracy.

I think that also raises another very key skill that is required for navigating this environment effectively -- the ability to communicate with, and convince / guide regulators toward making the best decision for US constituents and so far as their role plays. Cryptocurrencies are very new and regulators will always err on the side of caution. I am also certain the the Winklevoss twins are well-versed with knowledge and very competent people around them to get the ETF approval over the line, and still, it is not yet enough and they will need to continue trying. It is a similar scenario in general for all things related to cryptocurrency, and while many projects to date have been successful within the insular crypto community, they are going to have a shock coming when they notice how difficult it will be for them to bridge their service or business to the traditional world of finance.  DNotes made the decision early that raising via Reg D and Reg A+ for our financing was the wisest path to take to avoid regulatory difficulties, and this decision will be seen as a strategic masterstroke in the future. We will continue to make all necessary decisions for the best benefit of our business ecosystem, and to our investors. The skills to navigate regulatory hurdles is going to be a huge area where projects will make it or break it. We have talked to and known some of the key people in that area for several years, and created DCEBrief as part of an approach to make us better positioned than any to be the team that makes it.
legendary
DNotes

The electrum wallet and qt wallet absolutely use different formats for generating the private key. Though I'm fairly certain you should be able to import or sweep into electrum from the QT wallet. Not something I tested originally, so it will require a bit of a deeper dive.

If you were importing a private key into a fully updated QT wallet, it was likely slow as it has to scan through the entire blockchain, block by block, to find all of the transactions. Similar to the way it does when it downloads the blockchain from scratch. The blockchain is only about 80 megs of data right now, but it takes several hours to download because it has to read all the information as it downloads to determine what belongs to your wallet.

Electrum does have export options, under the wallet menu, you can export History.

Export CSV or watch from the explorer: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/note/ upon address lookup.

We also recently added a few API calls for Abe explorer including transaction history. Which we will be using for a different project.  

And the format of the last one is:

Transaction id
Block height
Block hash
Block time (excel formula to convert to date =(((D2/60)/60)/24)+DATE(1970,1,1) )
Transaction type (D for deposit, W for withdrawal)
Value (The total balance change for the address we passed in for the whole transaction: output to this address – input to this address)
Balance (running balance as of this tx)
Second address (address we either received money from or sent to, there may be multiple lines for each transaction if there are multiple of these)
Second address value (if we sent money, this is the value on the tx output, if we received, this is the value of the input to the tx, in this case we do not account for change)
Currency (this is just for completeness, Abe supports multiple currencies at once)

Transaction id,Block height,Block hash,Block time,Transaction type,Value,Balance,Second address,Second address value,Currency
legendary
DNotes
I am trying to create a new Electrum wallet using a list of private keys. I'm entering one key per line, and once I get all the keys in, the NEXT button stays grayed out. Is there a special way to separate DNotes private keys in Electrum so that the software will recognize the keys?

Update: I experimented a bit and I can see that as soon as I input a regular DNotes address (to make a read only wallet), that NEXT button immediately lights up so it's available to click on. But even when I enter only one private key and make sure there are no extraneous spaces, the NEXT button stays grayed out.

What am I missing?

Update 2: I went ahead and created a read only wallet by using all my addresses and that seems to work except that the wallet is stuck at a day behind, or seems to be. It's showing no transactions from today, even though there have been quite a few minting instances. I thought that since it doesn't have to download the block chain, syncing would be instant. Is there a way to force a sync on this wallet?

Also, does the Electrum wallet export transactions?

Update 3: I checked the network and it seems to be on the correct block, but it doesn't seem to be catching all the minting transactions, at least not the recent ones. I'm looking for a way to keep track of my balance and obtain good records that I can export, but that doesn't seem to be happening with the Electrum wallet.

This is from a electrum wallet.
Try this for the importing of a private key.
Click File > New/Restore
Name your wallet
Enter this private key
L1bFdKHgpxoHSSNniYf8pjZfUA43TzFLGk7vLBgQdJcBibzhRvUL
Click Next.
That is one I just created and put 10 DNotes in. Let me know if that works for you.

Syncing of the blockchain is instant, unless the electrum server was behind. It is up to date right now.
I would also check your wallet against the block explorer, to ensure it matches as well: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/note/

So I checked with one my wallet addresses and see it's not picking up, at least some of the transactions in watch only mode. The electrum server is either missing some information (need to rebuild database) or isn't reading certain transactions. We will have to look at it further to see why.

Edit: I'll have to get back to you on transferring private keys from a different wallet.

So I did what you said and imported the private key you posted into a new wallet and that worked just fine. I notice it starts with an L. I don't have my private keys right in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they all start with V. Maybe Electrum doesn't like that. So, it may be that I need a way to "convert" private keys that start with V into private keys that start with L?

The wallet is definitely not up to date on all the transactions, so I guess that's something for you guys to look into.

In the mean time, does Electrum have an export transactions feature? That would be the most useful feature of a read only wallet.

I thought I needed to "rebuild" my qt wallet in the sense that I needed to start with a brand new wallet and import the private keys. I started doing that and the process was so slow that I thought something else was wrong. So I downloaded the entire blockchain from the beginning and that sped things up. But then while importing private keys I noticed that the time stamp on transactions was not correct, and that would definitely wreak havoc on trying to record my transactions. So, I wondered if maybe the blockchain had gotten corrupted, meaning the original wallet.dat file might be fine after all. So I loaded up that wallet and then checked each balance against the block chain and it all checked out. But it was in between noticing the new wallet didn't have the correct timestamps and figuring out that my old wallet.dat was just fine after all, that I thought of Electrum and gave it a whirl, hoping it would both accurately record transactions and be able to export them. But I ran into issues with importing private keys and now the server not being up to date on read only transactions. So at the moment I'm back to using my qt wallet as a "read only" as in I haven't unlocked it, just using it to watch... But I do have Electrum installed so am happy to help test anything you need with it Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: