Pages:
Author

Topic: Dollar coming to an end - page 14. (Read 34949 times)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
December 16, 2014, 01:50:15 AM
I see the dollar being replaced with a basket of commodities, i.e. Oil, Gold, Corn, Copper or silmilar.  It would be great if Bitcoin was a part of the basket, but I doubt it unless the dollar remains in place and printing like crazy for the next 25 years at least.

You don't understand the purpose of a paper , or digital currency then. Because if you did , you would realize the true reason for the eventual demise of the dollar.

It's great to have a basket of commodities like you listed , but they all have the same inherent problem and that is that they take a longer time to liquidate or trade compared to paper or digital money, in this case pure digital money (Bitcoin & cryptocurrencies) . The dollar will eventually come to an end for many reasons , but the key reason here is that paper currency has become old and obsolete and brighter people are starting to see the benefits a pure digital currency can and will bring over paper currency.

The end.

Fin

/close thread

/lock

/ban anyone below me

The Dollar, the Euro and the Yen are losing value, more people understand that they need a global currency that they can trust, maybe Gold or Bitcoin?
Activity: 420
Merit: 10
December 15, 2014, 09:36:20 AM
I see the dollar being replaced with a basket of commodities, i.e. Oil, Gold, Corn, Copper or silmilar.  It would be great if Bitcoin was a part of the basket, but I doubt it unless the dollar remains in place and printing like crazy for the next 25 years at least.

You don't understand the purpose of a paper , or digital currency then. Because if you did , you would realize the true reason for the eventual demise of the dollar.

It's great to have a basket of commodities like you listed , but they all have the same inherent problem and that is that they take a longer time to liquidate or trade compared to paper or digital money, in this case pure digital money (Bitcoin & cryptocurrencies) . The dollar will eventually come to an end for many reasons , but the key reason here is that paper currency has become old and obsolete and brighter people are starting to see the benefits a pure digital currency can and will bring over paper currency.

The end.

Fin

/close thread

/lock

/ban anyone below me
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
December 15, 2014, 09:01:08 AM

If Dollar is printed like crazy, it will disappear soon.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
December 14, 2014, 04:38:51 AM
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 14, 2014, 03:36:44 AM
How are they able to manipulate the price of gold and silver? Surely they can only make them more scarce by hiding them, unless they have hidden reserves and suddenly "introduce" more precious metals?

I ask this because I'm concerned about the economy and beginning to become interested in keeping a small amount of gold/silver in addition to BTC.
Activity: 364
Merit: 256
December 14, 2014, 02:58:51 AM
I can imagine the US dollar losing it's position in the world, but i don't think bitcoin will play any major role in this "collapse". It will be the US's own fault.

Never underestimate the power of usd, look at how they are able to manipulate gold and silver. they have jackals, operatives, cia, and entire cartel behind
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064
December 10, 2014, 08:33:30 AM
I  do belive dollar bill  still represents the last best bastion of freedom,  in regard to anonimity -better than BTC-and there is a deliberate plan for its complete annihilation .I  embrace evolution but  bitcoin needs to evolve, if  our concern is -should be- anonimity, or switch to another coin that is already offering the required features.

If you mine BTC, buy it cash and use Tor how would anyone know it's your BTC?

And if you get your dollar bills from an ATM and use them on places where they have dollar bill scanners, how do you know that they don't track you?

If you get Dollars from ATM and the merchant where you spend them deposit it to the Bank they could trace it to you but it's not money you are trying to hide anyway.

The merchant where you spend USD does not always need to know your identity.
December 09, 2014, 10:14:14 AM
I  do belive dollar bill  still represents the last best bastion of freedom,  in regard to anonimity -better than BTC-and there is a deliberate plan for its complete annihilation .I  embrace evolution but  bitcoin needs to evolve, if  our concern is -should be- anonimity, or switch to another coin that is already offering the required features.

And if you get your dollar bills from an ATM and use them on places where they have dollar bill scanners, how do you know that they don't track you?

If you get Dollars from ATM and the merchant where you spend them deposit it to the Bank they could trace it to you but it's not money you are trying to hide anyway.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
December 08, 2014, 09:24:03 PM
Interesting article and claims I think the guy isn't very intelligent though.

I don't see the dollar coming to an end for at least another 70+ years.  The claims the guy making are based on history which isn't a terrible thing to base it on.  But judging from 70 years ago today the world is a completely different place and anything related to money then holds little value to what we have today.

Absolutely.  As cryptocurrencies show their potential we might see an integration, but I don't think the dollar is going anywhere for a while.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
December 08, 2014, 09:20:29 PM

December 08, 2014, 06:46:56 PM

Activity: 322
December 08, 2014, 05:21:42 PM
I  do belive dollar bill  still represents the last best bastion of freedom
Seriously? The last bastion of freedom? What makes you think that? What's wrong with the euro?
Activity: 505
December 08, 2014, 03:01:56 PM
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
December 08, 2014, 02:38:50 PM
I don't think anyone alive right now will see the end of the dollar.  I say at least 200 more years before the Dollar officially goes away and is worth nothing.  The problem is it will be such a huge transition that it just won't happen over night.  I mean think of the millions of people who would be bankrupt if the dollar lost all value, literally like 95-99% of the US would be worth nothing and bankrupt.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
December 08, 2014, 02:35:34 PM
I don't think dollar would come to an end for another 50 years at least. Bitcoin is not that popular to take over.

Right now Bitcoin is not that popular but the Dollar will crash it should become more popular. The Dollar may not end soon but it will lose most its value as the number of Dollar in circulation increases and it becomes a smaller portion of exchanges and reserves in the world
I think that the dollar never coming to an end, because it is not only money, but also a world currency (international means of payment).

There's a lot of fud coming from both pro and anti-USD, but the dollar isn't invincible and constantly printing more and more can certainly be disastrous. Only time will tell what truly happens but people have been announcing it's collapse probably since it started.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
December 08, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
I don't think dollar would come to an end for another 50 years at least. Bitcoin is not that popular to take over.

Right now Bitcoin is not that popular but the Dollar will crash it should become more popular. The Dollar may not end soon but it will lose most its value as the number of Dollar in circulation increases and it becomes a smaller portion of exchanges and reserves in the world
I think that the dollar never coming to an end, because it is not only money, but also a world currency (international means of payment).
December 03, 2014, 04:23:10 PM
I'm still waiting for the collapse? Everything sees to be going smoothly.

It is taking a while because everything is in movement : there are a lot of companies and people creating wealth in the States, a large stock of capital, wealth and skills. Other currencies are going down. In a ponzi or a bubble everything is going fine until it collapses
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
December 03, 2014, 04:17:10 PM

Increasing the money supply is a sure way to get more troubles and run away inflation.

The reality is more complicated: Central banks print 10x more money and buy out all the troubled assets in the country while still introduce very low or none inflation, since the sellers of those assets (commercial banks) simply put back their income money into FED's reserve account and don't touch those money, to ensure there will be no extra liquidity on market, thus no inflation

This is an interesting observation to ponder on. Peter Warburton wrote a book 'Debt and Delusion' in 1999 that is not framed in Austrain economics, but tries to answer the question why money printing did not lead to massive inflation. Warburton also touches this topic in a very clean post from 2001 reflecting his thoughts on the state of affairs: w.gata.org/node/8303 Most of his thoughts still apply today and his remark on the absence of 'a stable numeraire' is very intriguing when thinking about Bitcoin as possible contender.

I found the book very hard to read but did so anyway, but - when it comes to the observation that is central in this post - you are better off by reading a review of this book by someone with an Austrian view: http://mises.org/library/debt-and-delusion This one will also take some brain cells to digest and is perhaps more about the thoughts of the reviewer than whats actually in Warburton's book, but it creates the clear outlines of a theory why all this massive money printing has not (yet) led to massive inflation. Johnyj and others are on to something here....

Related to the above and also excellent seed if your mind provides vertile grounds is the theory described in the following blog posts: http://parcontre.blogspot.nl/2008_08_01_archive.html with the update (2013): http://parcontre.blogspot.nl/2013/05/deflation-or-inflation.html
Perhaps very simplistic to some educated souls but it paints a helicopter view of the financial economy versus the real economy over a span of decades and how things seem to go in cycles. Suppose this theory has any merit, we are experiencing a financial economy that is blowing the biggest debt bubble ever while disconnecting with the real economy to an increasing extent. The summary is that either the financial economy will snap and meet the real economy below (deflationary) or the real economy meeting the financial economy above (inflationary). A bit of both could mean Gold at $5,000 and the Dow at 5,000 (if history will again rhyme with a 1:1 Dow/Gold ratio at the bottom of the resolution between the financial and real economy). An interesting theory for the broad picture with some interesting ideas on the historical interest rates. Similar thoughts can be drawn from charts like TobinQ: http://csinvesting.org/2014/01/09/tobins-q-the-market-is-60-overvalued/

These things sure keep away the daily drivel of pundits and guru's on Apple flash crashing and stock markets rising (or gold being manipulated) in sight of near depression of the real economy. In the long run, this will not matter. The case for holding bitcoin will not be made over a time span of 1 year only.

As an end note: 'end of the dollar' is a misleading theme. History shows that even with extreme inflation (like 50% per month), people still use the official currency. The dollar may crash and burn, but will surely not end just like that. Therefore, we should not use this terminology when speaking about this topic.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 166
December 03, 2014, 03:32:00 PM
I'm still waiting for the collapse? Everything sees to be going smoothly.
Activity: 322
December 03, 2014, 02:59:57 PM
I can imagine the US dollar losing it's position in the world, but i don't think bitcoin will play any major role in this "collapse". It will be the US's own fault.
Pages:
Jump to: