Pages:
Author

Topic: Don't you wish you never had any alcohol? - page 5. (Read 12332 times)

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
January 10, 2015, 02:23:19 PM
nothing wrong with a beer from time to time.
most people can handle alcohol very well and also maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
January 10, 2015, 02:04:59 PM
I'm not much of a drinker. When I told somebody that I rarely drink just recently, he asked me if I was a vegetarian too. I'm not sure he entirely believed that I'm not. (This was at a New Year's Eve party and I think everybody but me had at least one beer.) Another funny story: I was sitting at a restaurant table with four other people who were drinking various alcoholic beverages (I think my dad had three beers) and, when it was almost time to leave, everybody was arguing about who was the least drunk. And I was just quietly sitting there with my glass of Pepsi. Of course I offered to drive home.

You are probably very healthy and you are likely to live long Grin

On the contrary, I wish I had the money and stamina to remain in a drunken stupor, just like NC did in Leaving Las Vegas. Naturally, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I have my reasons.

Alcohol can be fun but be careful, maybe talk about it to someone.
Activity: 476
I like boobies
January 10, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
On the contrary, I wish I had the money and stamina to remain in a drunken stupor, just like NC did in Leaving Las Vegas. Naturally, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I have my reasons.

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
January 10, 2015, 11:19:11 AM
I'm not much of a drinker. When I told somebody that I rarely drink just recently, he asked me if I was a vegetarian too. I'm not sure he entirely believed that I'm not. (This was at a New Year's Eve party and I think everybody but me had at least one beer.) Another funny story: I was sitting at a restaurant table with four other people who were drinking various alcoholic beverages (I think my dad had three beers) and, when it was almost time to leave, everybody was arguing about who was the least drunk. And I was just quietly sitting there with my glass of Pepsi. Of course I offered to drive home.
January 10, 2015, 10:30:12 AM
After reading all previous comments I must say: Everything is for people, really. You just need to know when to restrain yourself. That is all. You do not have to be teetotaler. You just need to think about your action and consequences.

It is better to leave the choice to people to use it or not but it's good to know alcohol can bring a lot of problems in your life if not used correctly.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
January 09, 2015, 05:53:02 PM
Never drink alcohol since my religion dont allow it
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
January 09, 2015, 05:02:18 PM
every damn night
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
January 08, 2015, 04:30:01 PM
After reading all previous comments I must say: Everything is for people, really. You just need to know when to restrain yourself. That is all. You do not have to be teetotaler. You just need to think about your action and consequences.
January 08, 2015, 04:06:10 PM
Not really, I believe that my life is significantly enhanced precisely because I am a moderate consumer of quality alcohol

Drinking an alcohol can be a pleasure but destroys your body. So does sugar, salt and basically everything I guess.

I rarely drink these days, and even when I do, it's only one or two. I got over that feeling of loss of control, I've made many stupid decisions while like that or said some embarrassing things .

Being sober at parties, you really get a sense of how stupid people get while drinking and spotting the people that really shouldn't drink (because they get violent, depressed, etc).

Drinking a lot while being young and outside can lead to endanger yourself badly.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
January 08, 2015, 03:36:27 PM
Not really, I believe that my life is significantly enhanced precisely because I am a moderate consumer of quality alcohol
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
January 08, 2015, 02:11:42 PM
I rarely drink these days, and even when I do, it's only one or two. I got over that feeling of loss of control, I've made many stupid decisions while like that or said some embarrassing things .

Being sober at parties, you really get a sense of how stupid people get while drinking and spotting the people that really shouldn't drink (because they get violent, depressed, etc).
January 08, 2015, 01:33:00 PM

Who stopped drinking alcohol as a New Year's resolution? And who successfully not drank for 8 days?
November 16, 2014, 06:12:33 PM
I wished I followed my own advice Grin
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
November 16, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
i wish I never tasted beer before. I could prob save enough money from it, to get actual 1 bitcoin.
November 15, 2014, 12:31:39 AM
Not really, that's actually a myth. You can't accidentally make methanol (it's the "bad" alcohol that makes you blind/kills you) from fermenting.
However, the finished homemade product might not taste good though.

So what should I think of what I heard : people drink bad vodka in Russia and it is worse for their health than the vodka you would buy in a store
Sometimes illegal producers add methanol or ethylene glycol to the booze just to make more profit (since that is cheaper).
Therefore you should only buy stuff you know comes from serious vendors. However, if you make your own homemade stuff, that's not dangerous.
Wine won't contain enough methanol to damage you (unless you're a full-retard drunk). The issue comes in distilling since, like ethanol, methanol has a boiling point significantly below water's boiling point (side-note: the boiling points given for ethanol, methanol, and water need to be used with a grain of salt, since the boiling point will change given the liquids are not divided up in pure forms and thus will not exactly "conform" to the boiling points for the pure substances). This is why you want to dump the alcohol as it comes up to temperature (if you're only doing one pass, you'll want to dump out a bit more at the beginning). Even though it's probably the highest-proof alcohol you'll distill in the pass, it's largely methanol -- no good. Anyone with enough knowledge to set up a still should know this. The reason why we talk about methanol not as a theoretical problem but a real problem is because the US government blinded and murdered thousands by requiring methanol as a pseudo-denaturuant in alcohol production as an attempt to enforce prohibition.

n 1926, the federal government increased the amount of methanol, a poisonous alcohol-based substance, required in industrial alcohols, which people at the time used to make bootleg liquor. Faced with the ongoing failure of Prohibition, the increase was intended to discourage people from drinking.

"It gives a greater warning to the drinker that he is getting hold of something that he should leave alone," a government chemist told the New York Times at the time.

A good example of supposedly good intention of the government that is harming the people; they always have a good excuse to take your freedom, haven't they?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
November 14, 2014, 10:13:19 PM
Not really, that's actually a myth. You can't accidentally make methanol (it's the "bad" alcohol that makes you blind/kills you) from fermenting.

So what should I think of what I heard : people drink bad vodka in Russia and it is worse for their health than the vodka you would buy in a store
Sometimes illegal producers add methanol or ethylene glycol to the booze just to make more profit (since that is cheaper).
Therefore you should only buy stuff you know comes from serious vendors. However, if you make your own homemade stuff, that's not dangerous.
Wine won't contain enough methanol to damage you (unless you're a full-retard drunk). The issue comes in distilling since, like ethanol, methanol has a boiling point significantly below water's boiling point (side-note: the boiling points given for ethanol, methanol, and water need to be used with a grain of salt, since the boiling point will change given the liquids are not divided up in pure forms and thus will not exactly "conform" to the boiling points for the pure substances). This is why you want to dump the alcohol as it comes up to temperature (if you're only doing one pass, you'll want to dump out a bit more at the beginning). Even though it's probably the highest-proof alcohol you'll distill in the pass, it's largely methanol -- no good. Anyone with enough knowledge to set up a still should know this. The reason why we talk about methanol not as a theoretical problem but a real problem is because the US government blinded and murdered thousands by requiring methanol as a pseudo-denaturuant in alcohol production as an attempt to enforce prohibition.
November 14, 2014, 04:53:57 PM
I've had lots of good times on alcohol and will continue to ruin myself occasionally with it. Never having a hangover probably helps.

The more time I spend around other drinkers though, the more I notice how few either drink purely for fun or behave in a reasonably acceptable manner while drunk.

I wouldn't bother if I was constantly causing trouble or felt I was dependent on it. I don't go to gatherings where booze will cause problems, which is most of them. And there's no way in hell I'd ever be in a relationship with a problem drinker.

For me it's entirely a tool for pleasure. If it ever wasn't that then I'd quit.

Yes but the risk is to damage your health or that it becomes something else than a tool for pleasure before you quit

OK thanks for the information; I won't buy any alcohol from illegal producers but it is nice to know more about it
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
November 14, 2014, 03:35:52 PM
I've had lots of good times on alcohol and will continue to ruin myself occasionally with it. Never having a hangover probably helps.

The more time I spend around other drinkers though, the more I notice how few either drink purely for fun or behave in a reasonably acceptable manner while drunk.

I wouldn't bother if I was constantly causing trouble or felt I was dependent on it. I don't go to gatherings where booze will cause problems, which is most of them. And there's no way in hell I'd ever be in a relationship with a problem drinker.

For me it's entirely a tool for pleasure. If it ever wasn't that then I'd quit.
Activity: 541
Garbochock
November 14, 2014, 03:29:26 PM

Pages:
Jump to: