Author

Topic: Economic Devastation - page 136. (Read 504776 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
December 04, 2014, 12:21:02 PM
If you wish to do meaningful economic analysis you need to start with meaningful numbers.  If you are starting your analysis with so called "GDP" measured in "fiat" by, uh, agencies..  well..  you got nothing to go on.  Bullshit from the start.

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/12/02/25432/

Quote from: Martin Armstrong
This forecast is based upon our proprietary index 1900=Par. The reason is simple. In 1985 the Euro did not exist. Therefore, how they patched that index we have not looked at carefully. It may exceed the 1985 high depending on its mix. In our index, it extends back much further and is far more comprehensive. You can see that the 1985 high is no longer a spike isolated high. We are flattening out the pattern and this warns of a rally. We are just the prettiest of the three ugly sisters – Japan – Europe – USA.  On their index, the low was 1992 compared to ours was 1995 which was the high in the yen against the dollar prior to this deflationary rally in recent years. The 1995 low was a retest of the highs of the Great Depression. This is the same general testing pattern we should see in gold – the retest of the 1980 high of $875.

Hashman, Armstrong is legit. He had even people collecting data from the archives of newspapers around the world, he spent $10 million in the 1970s to collect ancient silver coins so he could build the only detailed accurate chart of silver money of the Western Roman Empire. He claims he has spent over $1 billion (inflation adjusted) on data for his machine learning model of the global economy. The machine decided that international capital flows are what drives the economic shifts of the nations.

Considering how accurate his model as been (predicting events to the day, decades in advance), I believe him. You have no clue, until you dig. Read the entire Mad Max thread and bring yourself up to speed. Or don't. I don't care.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
December 04, 2014, 11:09:40 AM
What's that on the y axis again?  

There are even numbers there, as though everything weren't just totally made up but it obviously is.  

Skepticism is a very appropriate response. I am about as far from an expert on this topic as you can get but here is what I have found
in my own quite limited research.

Question #1 Is there any actual solid statistical analysis to show these Kondratieff cycles really exist.

I found this very interesting statistical analysis of Kondratieff waves.
https://escholarship.org/uc/item/9jv108xp#page-1

These authors did a tremendous amount of work on Kondratieff waves or K-waves and world GDP dynamics.
Their analysis supports the existence of a K-wave with a period of 52-53 years with a level of evidence or p value between 0.04 and 0.05.  
With data like this it cannot be argued that this is something totally made up. Advocates of K-waves may be wrong in their assumptions
or analysis or they may be wrong in arguing that any cyclical behavior seen in the past is predictive of the future but there is at least some
data to indicate that K-waves are real.

Question #2 Does K-wave analysis actually predict war

Here I have struck out. I have not found any source nearly as compelling as the the statistical analysis on GDP dynamics. I cannot answer your question
about the war cycle graph because I have not found a solid enough reference to back it up.  

Thanks for the link, I do like the analysis.  However I am inclined to go with garbage in - garbage out. 

If you wish to do meaningful economic analysis you need to start with meaningful numbers.  If you are starting your analysis with so called "GDP" measured in "fiat" by, uh, agencies..  well..  you got nothing to go on.  Bullshit from the start. 

How about something like wheat production?  Population?  Birth rate?  Sure it's not possible to get perfect numbers for anything but at least you are starting with something of relevance that has a verifiable unit on some level.     

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 04, 2014, 12:10:39 AM

There are even numbers there, as though everything weren't just totally made up but it obviously is.  

Skepticism is a very appropriate response. I am about as far from an expert on this topic as you can get but here is what I have found
in my own quite limited research.

Question #1 Is there any actual solid statistical analysis to show these Kondratieff cycles really exist.

I found this very interesting statistical analysis of Kondratieff waves.
https://escholarship.org/uc/item/9jv108xp#page-1

These authors did a tremendous amount of work on Kondratieff waves or K-waves and world GDP dynamics.
Their analysis supports the existence of a K-wave with a period of 52-53 years with a level of evidence or p value between 0.04 and 0.05.  
With data like this it cannot be argued that this is something totally made up. Advocates of K-waves may be wrong in their assumptions
or analysis or they may be wrong in arguing that any cyclical behavior seen in the past is predictive of the future but there is at least some
data to indicate that K-waves are real.

Question #2 Does K-wave analysis actually predict war

Here I have struck out. I have not found any source nearly as compelling as the the statistical analysis on GDP dynamics. I cannot answer your question
about the war cycle graph because I have not found a solid enough reference to back it up.  
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
December 03, 2014, 09:56:37 PM

legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
December 03, 2014, 11:25:51 AM
andrey fursov, a prominent current russian analyst, historian and academic claims that kondratieff wave cycles are generally correct but total defeat in cold war and pillage of soviet block prolonged the capitalist system until now since its been at its end as far back as 80s-90s. so we are in late autumn now but the winter is far overdue.
legendary
December 02, 2014, 09:50:16 PM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
December 02, 2014, 08:58:07 PM

Yes, ZeroHedge is a very interesting site.  Very opinionated replies, but many ZH-ers are knowledgeable and connected in finance.  They tend to be libertarians.  There is lots of love for gold.

Many of them are not very friendly to BTC however.  Which is curious.  Also curious is the Putin man-lover there.

Nonetheless, ZH is required reading for anyone wanting something that differs (a lot!) from the MSM/CNBS party lines...
legendary
December 02, 2014, 05:21:17 PM
Happy birthday Economic Devastation thread.
A year has flow by very quickly.

Surprisingly 12 months later this thread remains the #1 Google search result for the phrase "Economic Devastation"

Sounds like there are some zerohedgers here..

On this one year anniversary post I want to give a plug to zerohedge.
When the comment above was posted I had not heard of zerohedge.
This comment caught my eye I started reading it.

Zerohedge is now probably the only news page I check on a daily basis and I highly recommend it to anyone who was even remotely interested in this thread.  
November 04, 2014, 07:29:08 PM
CoinCube,

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9438334

P.S. notice I am posting much less often. Too busy working.
legendary
October 31, 2014, 08:06:07 AM
Personal quirks aside. Its been almost a year now since I started this thread. I did not do so because I wanted to promote Anonymint's economic writings.

Really?

Together these are quite simply the most insightful piece of economic theory I have ever read

Yep really. That quote was indeed my reaction when I first read the links in post #1. However, AnonyMints economic predictions are rather dire.

I do very well under our current system of government. A very large portion of my salary comes from the taxpayer and government spending.

Personally I will be much better off financially if the economic theories above are false. However, I am unable to find any serious flaws in them. Nothing would make me happier then for someone to convincingly demonstrate that Anonymint is completely wrong.

Unfortunatly, however, despite a lot of interesting conversation AnonyMint's thesis has held up rather well.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
October 31, 2014, 07:04:06 AM
Personal quirks aside. Its been almost a year now since I started this thread. I did not do so because I wanted to promote Anonymint's economic writings.

Really?

Together these are quite simply the most insightful piece of economic theory I have ever read
STT
legendary
Activity: 4004
Merit: 1428
☠ ☠ ☠ メメ
October 30, 2014, 10:46:34 PM
I dont see a simple answer  except it is fairly clear we are as a society at an extreme in various ways such as the low interest rates and 'easy' monetary policy.    This could end very badly, I think you could even weasel that answer out of Ben Bernanke or Alan Greenspan

I havent read all of the posted links but points to examine are the amount of dollars contained in bonds and the term of those bonds.   The average turnover for 17tn of US debt is I believe 4 years though that data is few years old.   Within a few years that debt could fail to roll over, things could alter drastically and that amount of money being circulated not held would alter considered facts quite quickly.   So extremes vary between default and effects from that or quite large inflation but probably not hyper.
Dont get caught up in the doom and gloom scenario, what matters most is productive capacity, bankruptcy is a positive process for society in sum total even if it doesnt feel like it at the time
legendary
October 30, 2014, 08:38:59 PM
AgonyMint, why have you created a new account?

No - he's created 5 new accounts.

It appears he has. I think he wrote somewhere that he scrambles his passwords every so often as a form of self imposed exile. Personally I just log off but that's just me.

I started this thread because I wanted others to find flaws in his economic theory that I could not find. 18 pages later I have yet to see much in the way of serious counterargument. I see a lot of "Agonymint is so arrogant" and "Its so hard to understand what he is saying" but no convincing critiques or counterarguments.

Personally I could care less about personality or arrogance. What interests me is one simple question: Is he right?
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
October 30, 2014, 07:47:15 PM

No - he's created 5 new accounts.

October 30, 2014, 06:01:37 PM
Coherently unifying all the concepts:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9387308
September 10, 2014, 04:30:40 AM
could anyone give me a tl;dr of the works of AnonyMint?

"I am far far more intelligent than anyone else in the world. Everything I say is correct. Anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant and unable to fully understand the scale of my mind."

Your attention span is too ephemeral.

You will probably need a week or two of studying the thread slowly.

I will be the first to admit I needed a week to fully absorb the following works of AnonyMint.

The Rise of Knowledge
Understand Everything Fundamentally

Together these are quite simply the most insightful piece of economic theory I have ever read.

If the author is right and I think he is we are all in the midst of a tragedy of epic proportions.  It is sad unstoppable and will devastate the lives of much of humanity.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
September 10, 2014, 04:01:26 AM

"I am far far more intelligent than anyone else in the world. Everything I say is correct. Anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant and unable to fully understand the scale of my mind."

Your attention span is too ephemeral.

You will probably need a week or two of studying the thread slowly.

I will be the first to admit I needed a week to fully absorb the following works of AnonyMint.

The Rise of Knowledge
Understand Everything Fundamentally

Together these are quite simply the most insightful piece of economic theory I have ever read.

If the author is right and I think he is we are all in the midst of a tragedy of epic proportions.  It is sad unstoppable and will devastate the lives of much of humanity.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
September 10, 2014, 03:47:35 AM
Activity: 210
September 09, 2014, 01:43:34 PM

Oh my god I just started reading Demise of Finance, you description is perfect!

That being said it is impossible to discuss what he is attempting to communicate because he has defined....... nothing.

Clearly attempting to reconcile classical thermodynamics and economics though, and that's cool. Gunna give that a crack myself.

*edit found half a definition of the first page, doesn't help much, language is flowing between physics and muggle!
September 09, 2014, 10:17:11 AM

Jump to: