Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant) - page 10. (Read 110004 times)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
On 1.8.0 if I go:

wallet > create backup > open

The backup isn't actually saved there.

Is this a known bug fixed in 1.8.1 ?

I suppose to do it manually you just copy .electrum/electrum.dat
Activity: 938
Good! Then your setup should be flawless Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
I would have enabled the LabelSync plugin; that case it does not matter what happens with your wallet.

I did this now. And the backupscript i will setup fast too.
I would have enabled the LabelSync plugin; that case it does not matter what happens with your wallet.
legendary
You don't have a problem; that's why it is great to have an deterministic wallet. Just restore from seed.

Thats not the problem. I have the brainwallet and i even have a 2month, for the first, and a 1month old backup of the wallet dat for the second electrum. The thing is, because of my groupbuy and escrow i had many many transactions in between. All details about that are gone. I only have the addresses and the transactions. I already searched out the unused escrow addresses so i know what its for when payment come in but i now miss much data.
Yes i blame me for not having made better backups earlier but i still wonder how these files could be simply zeroed.
I really should have done something before. The wallet.dat was a problem occassionally before too. Looks like i had to learn from pain again...
You don't have a problem; that's why it is great to have an deterministic wallet. Just restore from seed.
legendary
oO Whats that? Yesterday i was able to open electrum 1.8.1 fine and today its not working anymore. The process is starting and then its gone. I checked it out and found that my electrum.dat is empty. Zero Bytes. And that happened to both of my electrum wallets that were open. Both have an empty electrum.dat now. I wish electrum would have automatic backups. I didnt take the time yet to create a backup scheme for them so now my last backup is 6 weeks old. I did many transactions in between. Now i have a problem...

I dont understand why both files are emptied.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
Just wondering...
 if you import a private key, use and then delete it again how secure is that compared to generating a new private key and sending funds to the new key?

Not just this for Electrum but also in general too

Generating a new key or importing it is the same, you must generated it before importing it (duh!) so no point on that. In case someone wants to make a refund to the addresses you paid from, you'll lose your money as you've deleted the private key.

In the case of Electrum if you use one of the addresses you have, you'll be always able to recover it from your seed.
Activity: 900
Crypto Geek
Just wondering...
 if you import a private key, use and then delete it again how secure is that compared to generating a new private key and sending funds to the new key?

Not just this for Electrum but also in general too
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
I'm wondering if the recent bug with the random number generator affects electrum wallets generated on the android. 
    More specifically I'm usind a single wallet address generated @ bit address, the private jet for that wallet is the seed I used to create my elect rum wallet, I did this by scanning the private qr code when prompted to recover a seed.... 

I would really like to know if I am at risk. A pm would be very appreciated.
Thanks

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2919404
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
I'm wondering if the recent bug with the random number generator affects electrum wallets generated on the android. 
    More specifically I'm usind a single wallet address generated @ bit address, the private jet for that wallet is the seed I used to create my elect rum wallet, I did this by scanning the private qr code when prompted to recover a seed.... 

I would really like to know if I am at risk. A pm would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
I have a problem with Electrum 1.8 for Windows, used by PyQt4 and 'pythonw electrum'
everything works but if it lose server connection then it cannot reconnect by any means manually or with the option of random reconnect.
The only solution is to restart the client. Regular installer version doesn't have this problem.

Edit: When started with 'python electrum' ( command prompt interface ) works correct, but 'pythonW electrum' have the problem.
        I have no idea where the issue is coming from.
Activity: 63
Awesome - decided to hack it out to test.

I added a new button "Import transaction CSV" underneath the "Import raw transaction". Hooked it up to a function that:

* Opened up CSV file dialog
 * Open file, reading CSV taking 1st column as address, 2nd column as BTC value - converting to satoshi as mktx outputs array needs
 * Save off wallet seed to variable to prevent unwanted signing
 * Called wallet mktx to generate unsigned transaction object
 * Restored wallet seed
 * Prompted create_process_transaction_window which allowed raw viewing of the transaction to be sent and signing it

... odd thing I noticed, though... the coin outputs for spending were there, but no associated address, in fact is showed None .. (guessing something lost in translation w/ raw transaction processing)

For CSV, would you want to ignore 1st row since it is typically a header w/ descriptions or treat it raw?

I can fork and submit a pull request if needed.

Happy to accept coins (for this - 16Ad3kT79J4bUtpKACKTBbwDwJgykwGf5h Smiley - either directly to me or the Bitcoinstarter project I have... on whatever conditions you like. Can fork tomorrow and push if you like.
Activity: 63
Thank you. Would be useful. I dont want to put work on you but i thought that the original client is missing an importfunction. Maybe a csv-import for payments. If electrum would have such feature it would be great. Most group buys will have tables with payments, creating a csv out of it would be easy. Then import it and you have a big transaction very easy.
Only saying... Smiley

i pledge 0.25 for this feature

and only as a small reminder:

My offer regarding free shipping for all Electrum developers and server operators
still stands in my roll as official ASICMINER reseller in Europe
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-asicminer-block-erupter-europe-246020

What sort of behavior would you like?

CSV w/ 1st column of addresses and 2nd column of amounts?

UI:

Import Transaction Queue
  -> Open File Open Dialog for CSV
  -> Upon 'Open' show confirmation with total amount to send
  -> On confirm, send

Good?
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
Thank you. Would be useful. I dont want to put work on you but i thought that the original client is missing an importfunction. Maybe a csv-import for payments. If electrum would have such feature it would be great. Most group buys will have tables with payments, creating a csv out of it would be easy. Then import it and you have a big transaction very easy.
Only saying... Smiley

i pledge 0.25 for this feature

and only as a small reminder:

My offer regarding free shipping for all Electrum developers and server operators
still stands in my roll as official ASICMINER reseller in Europe
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-asicminer-block-erupter-europe-246020
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
sorry guys- figured it out- i was confusing the seed with master public key-so restoring with seed doesnt make it a seedless wallet.

PS Thanks to everyone involved in creating this great piece of software- it now feels as if i have the security side of things taken care of.
The  online wallet never requested i set up a password- is this because its seedless and i cant spend with it or am i missing something?

This is correct.

Also say my offline machine were to die how would i go about getting coins into a wallet that i can send from?

Remember your twelve words so you can restore it again if something happens to your offline wallet.

Thanks.
Am I misunderstanding?- I thought the 12 words were the seed- and that when I restored from seed it would turn into a seedless wallet-ie one that I cant send from?
The  online wallet never requested i set up a password- is this because its seedless and i cant spend with it or am i missing something?

This is correct.

Also say my offline machine were to die how would i go about getting coins into a wallet that i can send from?

Remember your twelve words so you can restore it again if something happens to your offline wallet.
Im new to electrum (and bitcoin) so apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
Ive created my wallet on an offline machine and then exported the public key into another electrum wallet for online transactions using the restore function.
Any other security measures with regards to the wallet I need to ensure?

thanks
legendary
And its still trying to force a min-fee of 0.0005btc. My choice of electrum was partly that it didnt enforce such fee. At least i can take the fee out before sending or lower it to 0.0001btc.
Pages:
Jump to: