Pages:
Author

Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB - page 2. (Read 1061062 times)

legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Things are back up and running.

So, I'm admittedly unsure what direction to take this at this point.  My real life is, well, kind of hellish right now... I'd greatly prefer not to get into the details publicly.  Suffice it to say I've been blindsided on several fronts from close people I trusted, and picking up the pieces of that is taking a significant effort both mentally and financially.

Long story short, I don't think I'll have time in the near future to complete my work on Eligius-Hu's front end.  The backend is basically done, though, and running.  So if the pool finds a block, people get paid and such.

Pool is still running, working, etc... and I can host the servers pretty much indefinitely without issue.  Just a matter of completing all the front end stuff.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not at this point.  Is there demand for such a pool still?  Looking at the current mining landscape, my guess would be no... but I could be wrong.

Thoughts appreciated.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 639
*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*
A handful of the ~20 pool nodes got stuck mining a super old block... since the nodes were not agreeing, others were mining "empty" (coinbase only), but valid, blocks for quite a while.

Seems there was some breakdown of my alert system and I wasn't notified appropriately.  Some headaches in the rest of my life have kind of made this a lower priority and I, admittedly, hadn't manually checked on things for a while besides a physical look at the servers themselves occasionally.

In any case, I've got the pool server offline for the moment while things are resyncing.  Should be back online sometime in the morning by my estimates.  Will make another post afterward.

Eligius we getting the band back together? :-D lel
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
A handful of the ~20 pool nodes got stuck mining a super old block... since the nodes were not agreeing, others were mining "empty" (coinbase only), but valid, blocks for quite a while.

Seems there was some breakdown of my alert system and I wasn't notified appropriately.  Some headaches in the rest of my life have kind of made this a lower priority and I, admittedly, hadn't manually checked on things for a while besides a physical look at the servers themselves occasionally.

In any case, I've got the pool server offline for the moment while things are resyncing.  Should be back online sometime in the morning by my estimates.  Will make another post afterward.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 6182
Crypto Swap Exchange
He's alive. I'm not comfortable giving the details of his personal life, though, so I'll have to just leave it at that.

He did say he'd make a forum post soon... I'll remind him again.

Glad to hear he is alive.
Remind him, that his work and upkeep on the pool was appreciated and I'm sure there are people here willing to give him a hand if he needs anything.

-Dave
Activity: 62
Merit: 1
He's alive. I'm not comfortable giving the details of his personal life, though, so I'll have to just leave it at that.

Thanks Luke for the update.  Glad he's still alive.  Hope he's doing alright with whatever his situation is.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

Glad to hear he's alive. Good person.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
I hate to say point it elsehwere, since it was good here for a very long time. But it might be time.
His last post was ~18 months ago, his last time online was ~ 9 months ago.
It's accepting shares but the back end is dead so it's just a black hole for mining at this point.

Agreed. Point it at p2pool or something, right now whatever is mining there is just wasting energy and that's plain sad. I liked Eligius, it was my first pool, but if nothing else is going to happen it's really time to call it quits.

And hey if WK fixes it, just point it back.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Yeah... looks like it's stuck on block 0000000000000000001393b90b751003c03df800d732059fa7c7e2d7272058e2 (2018 December 15th)

Poked wizkid057. If he doesn't respond, maybe I'll point the DNS somewhere without a pool server running. :/

It's been 10 days or so any word?

I hate to say point it elsehwere, since it was good here for a very long time. But it might be time.
His last post was ~18 months ago, his last time online was ~ 9 months ago.
It's accepting shares but the back end is dead so it's just a black hole for mining at this point.

On a personal note, I worry about what happened to him. But, since no friends / family have posted anything anywhere that I could find there is not much we can do.

There is ~ BTC0.415 sitting in the pool address that has not been touched since the end of Nov 2017 so it's not like he ran off with the money.

-Dave

legendary
Yeah... looks like it's stuck on block 0000000000000000001393b90b751003c03df800d732059fa7c7e2d7272058e2 (2018 December 15th)

Poked wizkid057. If he doesn't respond, maybe I'll point the DNS somewhere without a pool server running. :/
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
At this point, I have no idea. Was considering dropping some of the domains... they do add up. :/

Could you at least point the DNS someplace else?Or just null them? The stratum ports are still active so people who have forgotten to change out their backup pool might still be wasting hashes / electricity mining here.

-Dave
If the ports are still open, I assume it's working most likely. Maybe just not enough hashrate to find blocks?

Edited @ 7:20 PM 17-Aug-19
No idea what type of node it's talking to but it's not a synced BTC node:
 [2019-08-17 18:57:06.001] Pool 0 difficulty changed to 4095.9
 [2019-08-17 18:57:06.078] Network diff set to 5.65T   

Possibly, or it's talking to a node that is not properly synced, or it's been compromised in some way and mining who know what, etc.
Since WK has vanished, there are no front end stats, etc. I just figured that since you had control of the domains it would be a "good for the community" type thing to help prevent wasted mining. Since we don't know I would err on the side of caution.

But, also as I keep saying, we are not and this forum is not your mom. It's not the forums job to stop you from doing something stupid, like mining to a pool that may go nowhere.

-Dave
legendary
At this point, I have no idea. Was considering dropping some of the domains... they do add up. :/

Could you at least point the DNS someplace else?Or just null them? The stratum ports are still active so people who have forgotten to change out their backup pool might still be wasting hashes / electricity mining here.

-Dave
If the ports are still open, I assume it's working most likely. Maybe just not enough hashrate to find blocks?
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
So is, or isn't the pool still / ever going to be alive?
The domain is renewed (http://www.eligius.st/), but appears not to be configured for even a landing page.
It seems there's a dwindling few of us who even remember the pool exists (existed).
I trust LukeJr, if he says the word that it's alive...
copper member
Activity: 174
Merit: 10
Last I read of wiz he was working on a bunch of tesla hardware experiments. (The cars - not the shocky bits. )
Would be nice to know if things calmed down at home.
Kano's been reliable. Wink
Activity: 537
Merit: 524
Because the coinbase back then wasn't slush so btc.com isn't classifying those early blocks as from slush pool.

post by Slush giving the first and second block numbers: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.30769. both found on december 16th 2010

Activity: 771
Merit: 528
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Activity: 771
Merit: 528
Pages:
Jump to: