Pages:
Author

Topic: End of newbie restrictions; ban changes - page 8. (Read 39998 times)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
January 25, 2014, 09:15:40 AM

Yes, the newbie section was a good thing.
I would hunt for easy questions with no reply and help the newbies.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
January 25, 2014, 01:31:26 AM
Err better for new guys and not that good for people in here from sometime. and just when I was about to be a Full Member.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
January 24, 2014, 03:54:07 PM
Effectively we are observing a small flooding of newbie posts in every section...  Undecided

Please report insubstantial and off-topic posts as well as very insubstantial topics. They should be deleted or moved.

This, while I don't really agree with the removal of the newbie requirements, I haven't seen any substantial out of place newbie spam, maybe one or two threads in the last day or two, I had expected a lot more. People are talking about the flood of topics, but I can't seem to find them. Please report them people.
Activity: 8
Merit: 500
January 24, 2014, 06:43:19 AM
2 days of total time logged in. See my total posts on the left en still a newbie?

How come?

theymos provided comment in another thread:

There's apparently a bug preventing Newbies from being promoted. I'll look into it when I have time. I don't think that there's any major disadvantage to being a Newbie now.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
January 24, 2014, 01:11:04 PM
What the frig?  When is this shit going to end?  This forum is going to hell in a hand cart with all these frigging newbie morons asking stupid frigging questions everywhere.

RIDICULOUS IDEA.

Roll Eyes
Activity: 616
January 24, 2014, 06:55:21 AM
2 days of total time logged in. See my total posts on the left en still a newbie?

How come?

There's apparently a bug preventing Newbies from being promoted. I'll look into it when I have time. I don't think that there's any major disadvantage to being a Newbie now.

Alright thanks! There are no disadvantages for me, I was just curious. Thanks for the info.
Activity: 618
a clockwork miner
January 24, 2014, 06:49:33 AM

Ahhhh...
There is a secret restriction!!!

Just joking Smiley
a clockwork miner
January 24, 2014, 06:42:43 AM

How come?

Yes, it seems to be stuck at Newbie level even when activity > 30.

Some hours ago, the level change has worked for me (Member->Full member), about 30 min after I reached 120 activity.
Activity: 616
January 24, 2014, 06:32:38 AM

How come?
Activity: 533
Merit: 539
January 24, 2014, 06:29:26 AM
Hi Theymos.

Since you erased the formular, before the registration, there are no rules anymore.
Everything is allowed now, because no newbie know that off topic posts are not allowed or spamming with referal links.

Maybe its better to implement the formular back.

Bye,Zeph
a clockwork miner
January 24, 2014, 04:45:33 AM
Effectively we are observing a small flooding of newbie posts in every section...  Undecided

Please report insubstantial and off-topic posts as well as very insubstantial topics. They should be deleted or moved.

Hi Theymos.
Ok, from now on I will use more frequently the Report link when needed.

Anyway, please let me explain better: I wasn't referring to off-topic posts/threads but mostly to the fact that often new users seem don't know what netiquette is and so:
they don't lurk for some time before posting their repeatedly answered questions, are too lazy to use the search function and why read faqs or wikis when I can just ask...

For this reason I am just a bit puzzled about the end of newbie restrictions. It was only a "benevolent" jail, with a nice whitelist option also.

Anyway, let see how it works. Smiley
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13027
January 24, 2014, 02:56:51 AM
Effectively we are observing a small flooding of newbie posts in every section...  Undecided

a clockwork miner
January 24, 2014, 12:09:43 AM
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
COINECT
January 23, 2014, 11:56:41 PM
I can only call this change a complete failure. I've seen more incredibly stupid posts in the main sections since this change was made than I've seen otherwise in my entire time at this forum.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
January 23, 2014, 11:18:50 AM
I'm gonna start my own newbie section. Its going to have hookers and blackjack.

Meh screw the newbie section!

Keep me informed! Smiley
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
January 23, 2014, 10:48:13 AM
I'm gonna start my own newbie section. Its going to have hookers and blackjack.

Meh screw the newbie section!
Activity: 8
January 23, 2014, 05:04:16 AM
Looks like the newbie board is back but is now called "Beginners and Help":

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0

So ends the experiment.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
January 23, 2014, 10:12:43 AM
I definitely like the idea of ending newb restrictions, they were definitely keeping a lot of users from the site. The four hour wait/post requirement was pretty brutal, I remember posting mostly useless replies to get past that. I do think it is necessary to have a "Newbie/Beginners" section though as it was definitely a good net for spam and basic bitcoin questions.

When I first registered to the forum I was surprised by the "newbie jail", but the truth is that I enjoyed it - I made my first "newbie questions" in that area and I didn't spam the other subforums with my naive/stupid/n00bish doubts that had been answered a million times befores.

The "newbie jail" also encourages the use of the SEARCH function, as you are kinda forced to look for the information you are looking for, no restrictions on the contrary kinda encourages to be spoon fed.

IMO the most important change that has been done is the one related to Tor use - no more ip bans for established accounts. That's really something, participating in these forums through Tor was a pain in the ass if you were an active poster.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
January 22, 2014, 09:04:53 PM
Yeah I have to agree this is bad idea.

Does anyone want to start an invite-only thread, I bounce this idea off some people a while ago, but no one seemed to like it then. How about now?

Sounds like a great idea!

Well talk to the powers at be Wink
Pages:
Jump to: