Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing - page 31. (Read 84312 times)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
The sites front page now has a countdown running: http://ethereum.org/

11 days 22 hours
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
Ethereum
Seems the Ethereum forums went down which is a shame, hopefully it's temporary because we had a nice crowd there. I guess they are maybe trying to keep it fairly under wraps until the Miami conference.

And yes Ethereum is indeed mind-bogglingly awesome, FellowTraveller (author of Open Transactions) had this to say on Reddit: "The most innovative blockchain-based cryptocurrency since Bitcoin itself, and the only one that I would bother acquiring units of."
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
i cannot understand if it will be mineable..

Yes, it is mineable.  The focus of the hashing algorithm was on memory hardness, so I suspect CPU or GPU mining.
legendary
Interesting project. Glad you are supplying the information before an IPO. Gives you a lot of credibility

Just to make it clear, I'm not involved in the development of this project -- just forwarding the information to you guys in case you wanted to get in on the IPO.  They're technically a competitor, but I don't want to look at this field as something in which we're working against each other.  Rather, I see all cryptocurrency developers as working with each other to generate a financial system for the benefit of the future.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
This is the true revolutionary second generation in cryptocurrencies.  I encourage everyone to read the white paper.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124
Invest in your knowledge
Interesting project. Glad you are supplying the information before an IPO. Gives you a lot of credibility
legendary
There was no [ANN] for this, so I figured I'd throw it up for you guys.

As with the other "2nd gens," this is not a fork but rather a complete rewrite of all the foundational code.  It does however use some commonalities, for instance the C++ implementation includes usage of leveldb and boost.

http://ethereum.org/

Whitepaper
Source code repository
Forums

Features:
- Novel "memory-hard" hashing algorithm specification
- Use of GHOST blocktrees instead of a traditional blockchain for PoW data propagation
- Use of Patricia trees in block data structures
- Transactions which contain loop-enabled programmable instructions for the creation of novel derivatives and functions within the blocktree; these are deemed "contracts"
- New fees algorithm which adjusts based on several different parameters
- New difficulty adjustment algorithm
- Data in objects is encoded in recursive length prefix (RLP) notation
- Crowdfunding model

The author is Vitalik Buterin, among others.

Vitalik and co., contact me if you plan to make an official ANN here and I'll close this thread.

Please note:
This is not MC2 and I am not involved in its development, but I am closely watching this to see where it goes!
Pages:
Jump to: