Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 29. (Read 58260 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
April 01, 2013, 10:32:30 AM
There is a difference between being an 'Employee' and a 'Contractor'

True, but he's not even a contractor. I would bet a bitcoin that BFL is not going to send him a 1099, nor are they required to.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
April 01, 2013, 10:30:53 AM
There is a difference between being an 'Employee' and a 'Contractor'
firstbits.com/1kznfw
April 01, 2013, 10:29:18 AM
I don't agree as the word 'device' used in the bet means to me a device like the one BFL has on the pictures on their sales page. All i see in the pictures is the same prototype device.

Another thing that bugs me is that Luke was put into service by BFL a while back so he could work on their product. During this time he stayed in a hotel. If the money was payed out of BFLs pocket i see this as a compensation for his involvement with the product and that would make him a BFL employee by my definition.

I would not confuse paying hotelling expenses for a client or business partner (which Luke-Jr is both) with being an employee. Every company I've ever worked at has expensed out visiting clients, and I myself have been expensed by other companies for various reason, for example Sun Microsystems for a Java product technology demonstration in 1996. If there was any kind of employee relationship in any of those cases, I would have been in violation of federal law, but I wasn't because paying expenses for a visit constitutes no such relationship.

As far as device goes, the bet is poorly worded and in general poorly formed. It too loosely defines device, and since this is the final device that Luke-Jr is getting to fulfill this order with BFL, it appears to be fulfilled.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
April 01, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
I don't see how getting a unit to Luke-Jr is anything remotely like shipping.
This! Shipping means customers getting ordered retail units. I don't get whats there to debate about this.

The debate is because the betsofbitcoin bet does not require either of those. It simply requires a non-BFL employee to post pictures to bitcointalk of a hashing unit with a hashrate within 75% of advertised rate. The bet has been technically fulfilled, except for a question on the timestamp of the post and whether the bet applies to Eastern Time or any time zone.

All of this is completely useless for indications of shipping outside of that bet, except that it does show that true shipping will happen soon, and that bfgminer will support it.

I don't agree as the word 'device' used in the bet means to me a device like the one BFL has on the pictures on their sales page. All i see in the pictures is the same prototype device.

Another thing that bugs me is that Luke was put into service by BFL a while back so he could work on their product. During this time he stayed in a hotel. If the money for the hotel was payed out of BFLs pocket i see this as a compensation for his involvement with the product and that would make him a BFL employee by my definition.

firstbits.com/1kznfw
April 01, 2013, 10:13:41 AM
This customer cannot be a BFL employee.

Exactly, Luke-Jr is not an employee. You'll see that I referenced this requirement in my second to last post.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
April 01, 2013, 10:13:21 AM
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

For this statement to be false, both of the two following conditions must be met:

• Before April 1st 2013, at least one BFL customer with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee.

• The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate.

It does sound like they met these requirements. Wow, what a slimy way to win a bet. Good thing I made my wagers on bitbet. Always read the fine print!!

Nope, it's a picture from their development - please look at the youtube, post was after APRIL FIRST Smiley

Activity: 1162
April 01, 2013, 10:12:51 AM
25GH for a mini single which draws 179W, almost the same power consumption as avalon, ...

Inaba/BFL_Josh wrote earlier this year:
"Avalon is 110nm ... I think they are using QFN ... We were fighting 60w of heat (granted, on a much smaller surface area) and it was a problem, I can't imagine trying to fight 300w of heat. For their sakes, I hope they have already considered these issues or it's going to be a nasty surprise the first time they turn a unit on and the chips start popping and letting the magic smoke out."

So, Josh, does this mean you have a problem now?  Wink
April 01, 2013, 10:12:38 AM
"Butterfly Labs will not ship ASIC-based Bitforce SC products before April 2013"

Distinctly says ship.

Holy crap, can people not read a webpage? Look at the terms, not the title. The title is a hook for advertising. It's not binding in any way. The terms of the bet define the bet contract, not the title. It has two simple conditions which have been met except for the post timestamp.

OK so they didnt meet the "terms", or the title?

donator
Activity: 294
April 01, 2013, 10:12:23 AM
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

For this statement to be false, both of the two following conditions must be met:

• Before April 1st 2013, at least one BFL customer with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee.

• The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate.

It does sound like they met these requirements. Wow, what a slimy way to win a bet. Good thing I made my wagers on bitbet. Always read the fine print!!
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 01, 2013, 10:10:38 AM
Judging from those small heat sinks added above and below the PCB board, they are pushing it too much. The board is not designed for this kind of power load, many small conponents get overheated and require additional cooling. They need to re-design the board

Activity: 294
Merit: 262
April 01, 2013, 10:10:32 AM
"Butterfly Labs will not ship ASIC-based Bitforce SC products before April 2013"

Distinctly says ship.

Holy crap, can people not read a webpage? Look at the terms, not the title
. The title is a hook for advertising. It's not binding in any way. The terms of the bet define the bet contract, not the title. It has two simple conditions which have been met except for the post timestamp.

This customer cannot be a BFL employee.
firstbits.com/1kznfw
April 01, 2013, 10:05:33 AM

Distinctly says ship.

Holy crap, can people not read a webpage? Look at the terms, not the title. The title is a hook for advertising. It's not binding in any way. The terms of the bet define the bet contract, not the title. It has two simple conditions which have been met except for the post timestamp.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
April 01, 2013, 10:03:53 AM
Well Avalon delivered 1-3 prototype units, @more than their advertised power consumption, just so they could say they shipped before March 1st. Then used Batch#2 funds to produce their Batch#1 orders.

On those grounds the BFL 'Yes' vote wins  Grin Grin
April 01, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
April 01, 2013, 10:01:05 AM
This! Shipping means customers getting ordered retail units. I don't get whats there to debate about this.

The debate is because the betsofbitcoin bet does not require either of those. It simply requires a non-BFL employee to post pictures to bitcointalk of a hashing unit with a hashrate within 75% of advertised rate.

All of this is completely useless for indications of shipping outside of that bet, except that it does show that true shipping will happen soon, and that bfgminer will support it.

Distinctly says ship.

This picture, is from their development suite, as in youtube.

Nothing has shipped,

(And yes, it's 2 singles, same plugs, same power checker - hell even the piece of paper on the plug near the socket - white thing is the same)

What a waste of time.

I guess luke has a bet and is being desperate? Dont understand.  Unless tastless april fools?

firstbits.com/1kznfw
April 01, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

The debate is because the betsofbitcoin bet does not require either of those. It simply requires a non-BFL employee to post pictures to bitcointalk of a hashing unit with a hashrate within 75% of advertised rate. The bet has been technically fulfilled, except for a question on the timestamp of the post and whether the bet applies to Eastern Time or any time zone.

April 01, 2013, 09:52:31 AM
As of yesterday, I have my first ASIC:

Screen shot from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI

Is in their dev factory, same laptop, setup, plugs etc

Luke, why misleading? April fools?
April 01, 2013, 09:49:50 AM
Is just part of the development process, luke is working for BFL right?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 01, 2013, 09:45:04 AM
25GH for a mini single which draws 179W, almost the same power consumption as avalon, but I heard there is a wafer by wafer difference in chip's power consumption, could be lower than that number, but 120W at least. So 240W for a full single running at 60GH, with that amount of heat, open rig is the only choice  Cheesy

So indeed that is a shipped product, everyone have to run it like that, and there is a turbo blow fan on the left side of the heatsink, not in the photo  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: