Pages:
Author

Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters - page 14. (Read 83034 times)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100
You should start reselling newegg graphics cards too. You are the first to take shipping hardware seriously for btc and you have an automated website.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Received cables i ordered on 16th in 7 days to my home, India with customs clearance.
I was in fear that 27% customs has to be paid, but courier guy just gave parcel & went.

But, small mistake.
I ordered 21 nos. 1x to 16x modified extender & 2 nos. 16x to 16x extender, & i received the same only. I counted it to verify.
But, the customs dispatch deceleration note says, 15 + 2 =17 only with a value of 240+ USD.

Is this made me customs clearance easy?

I give +1 or +23 to cablesaurus for door delivered to me in one week in perfect condition.
Thanks.
donator
Activity: 640
Merit: 500
Receive my package of 16 cables in 7 days to Denmark.

You just forgot to write the business name on the package so I had to move my ass down to the post office.

Anyhow thanks.

Kind regards
Kris
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I need a mining chasis that supports 7 cards.  Maybe you can take the idea and have a 7 card "special order" option. 
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
Just bought an adapter from the website with btc. Let's see if it works.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Absolutely none for a rack case/mining rig.  As a desktop case, I'd say somewhat important. 

I think that you could mount both an HD/set of HDs and an optical drive on the side and "inside" the case, so even if you wanted to rack it or stack it and still maintain your drives, that would be ideal.  Now that I think about it, actually would be pretty awesome to be able to stack theses even on a desk where the bottom of one will fit into the top of the other one to provide some stability. 

Just for reference, 1/4 cab is usually 10U, giving you 17.5" of vertical space.  Most cabs are 19" wide, though I hear there are 23" ones, but I've not ever used those variants. 

If you were so inclined and needed more room, you could stretch it out a bit, since there's plenty of room in a cabinet from front to back.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Thanks for the excellent feedback, we will be redesigning to accomodate. Preorders will be delayed until the redesign is complete soon.

Question for Inaba and others, how much concern is there over the ability to house an optical drive?
legendary
Those look good, but I see some issues with them that are a real deal breaker for these in quantity (which may be fine if you aren't looking to do higher quantities):

1. It's about 1" too high and looks like it could be lowered 1" without causing clearance problems.  The 1" would facilitate it being able to be put into a 1/4 cab rack in pairs.  With the current height, you can only get 1 in a 1/4 cab with 90% of the space needed for a 2nd one going to waste.
2. They don't look like they can be stacked and have no provisions for mounting in a rack from the pictures.  Ideally, being able to stack them in a rack would be awesome.
3. Is there space for 2 PSUs?
4. With #2 the hard drive placement makes stacking difficult.
5. Nice to have the option to move the cards closer together to have 5 (or 6?) cards in one machine.  I would like to run 5 cards per mobo, but 4 is nothing to sneeze at. You don't need a lot of space between cards to cool them, which brings me to the final #6
6. There doesn't appear to be any place to mount fan(s).  Regardless of it's open air design, if you put these in a rack, you absolutely need to get some airflow going from front to back.  Being able to mount a couple 120mm fans on the front blowing across the cards towards the back would be important.

Otherwise, these look pretty cool and I'll probably get at least one for my own personal use if not a couple.  If nothing else, they'll make interesting desktop cases Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
I can't really tell from the pictures, does it have place for 2 PSUs?

Also, and more importantly, what would be the shipping cost to Portugal? Smiley
Can you daisy chain these together?  I've already got a case and was thinking about sticking a couple of GPUS on the outside panel but I would need longer then 7 inches.
19cm is the maximum supported length for PCIe extension. However with a Mining Chassis you would be able to reach the cards without issue.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Can you daisy chain these together?  I've already got a case and was thinking about sticking a couple of GPUS on the outside panel but I would need longer then 7 inches.
legendary
Waiting on the pics!  What's projected cost?
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Ordered a 1x to 16x adaptor and 2 day shipping. Got it 2 days later. Works as advertised. Great service. Would recommend.
Activity: 846
The One and Only
I am in interested in one of these mining chassis.
Graphics card Dummy Plugs are now for sale.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
I assume you could use these cable mods to run your PCI'e cards from a different PSU to your system PSU?

If you're using a PSU not grounded to the motherboard, do not utilize a cable with modification. Make sure any secondary PSU to be used would be grounded through the motherboard.

By using the mentioned "hack" we will be connecting one "COMMON" line along with the "PS_ON". This is ground(ed), right?

Without seeing your exact set-up, I'd say, yes, that should do it.
legendary
So I did some more research on this... came across this, which is encouraging:

Yes, connect the "master" PSU's 20/24-pin to the motherboard and connect two jumper wires between it and the "slave" PSU. Referring to the pin-out diagram above, connect green to green and any black to any black on the two units and the slave will power on and off when the master does with the front chassis switch. The slave units are usually used for their additional 12V capacity to power graphics cards, fans, water pumps and the like but should also be used to power a couple of drives, either optical or hard, too. This will put a small load on the 5V rail and less stress on the PSU trying to deliver a 12V only load. Instead of using drives for a 5V load you can make a "dummy load" with cheap resistors. Two 10-ohm 10W ceramic resistors or a single 5-ohm 10W aluminum will put a 1A load on a 5V circuit and dissipate ~5W of heat.

Ready made dual PSU adapters are sold by Ultra and Lian Li and also come bundled with Cooler Master dual PSU capable tower cases. Performance-pcs.com selling the Ultra adapter does ship worldwide.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

If you want to use two PSUs, the least you should do is make the grounds common by combining the two ground pins on the two PSUs.  I'm not sure this will solve the problem or be snake oil, though.  But at least it's something.

Assuming the 'COMMON' or 0V pins are indeed connected to ground (which in my very limited knowledge of electronics I'd assume) then wouldn't the hack to make the slave PSU power on with the master one automagically solve this? We are connecting one PWRON and one COMMON pin across the PSUs.
All items are back in stock! Check out the new www.cablesaurus.com!
legendary
I assume you could use these cable mods to run your PCI'e cards from a different PSU to your system PSU?

If you're using a PSU not grounded to the motherboard, do not utilize a cable with modification. Make sure any secondary PSU to be used would be grounded through the motherboard.

So if we are not using any modified cables, there is no need for grounding a second (or third) PSU to the motherboard? 

I have used the paperclip trick to put a second 400W PSU to power 1/2 of a 6990.  The PSU is sitting on the table and have been getting pretty good performance for the last 24hrs.  Am I missing something / doing something wrong?

If you are powering anything plugged directly into the motherboard with a second power supply, you have a potential grounding problem.  The kind of problem I've described here is not one that will blow up a card immediately and you'll instantly know there's a problem.  The grounding problem of this nature will slowly burn out components over time and/or shorten the life of the equipment.

The questions that arise then:

Is the problem is pronounced enough to worry about?  e.g. Will it shorten the life of the equipment enough that you care.
Is grounding to the case sufficient to make the ground differential acceptable?
Which (if any) pins on a modified cable need to be grounded to a common ground?

Personally, I would not try using two PSUs on anything expensive until I understood exactly what the consequences are.  It's entirely possible that you can burn out your card, motherboard, or PSU or any combination thereof.  It's also entirely possible that this fear is completely groundless (pun intended) and there's no need to worry at all. 

If you want to use two PSUs, the least you should do is make the grounds common by combining the two ground pins on the two PSUs.  I'm not sure this will solve the problem or be snake oil, though.  But at least it's something.
Pages:
Jump to: