Pages:
Author

Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters - page 15. (Read 83059 times)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Nope, from what you've described you're in good shape.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
I assume you could use these cable mods to run your PCI'e cards from a different PSU to your system PSU?

If you're using a PSU not grounded to the motherboard, do not utilize a cable with modification. Make sure any secondary PSU to be used would be grounded through the motherboard.

So if we are not using any modified cables, there is no need for grounding a second (or third) PSU to the motherboard? 

I have used the paperclip trick to put a second 400W PSU to power 1/2 of a 6990.  The PSU is sitting on the table and have been getting pretty good performance for the last 24hrs.  Am I missing something / doing something wrong?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

Ordered cables arrived and all worked as advertised, 1x & 16x w/ Molex power.

Good service.
legendary
Activity: 800
Merit: 1001
Ordered 2 cables, they came, I conquered.  Thanks dude.

-EP
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
Wow.  I'm order #2 on Cablesaurus.com!

Now I feel like an early adopter. Smiley

Jere
There will be a 48 hour delay on shipment of 1x Extenders, 1x -> 16x Adapters, and 1x Extenders w/ Molex. Waiting on additional inventory that hasn't came in yet.
Feel free to place your orders and they will be sent out in the order received, hopefully sooner than expected.

I'm preparing Cablesaurus.com with a Bitcoin shopping cart, launching tomorrow morning, which will allow Bitcoin & Paypal purchases directly from my shopping cart. Stay tuned.
Everyone I really appreciate all the comments and feedback so far! It's a treat being able to try & help the community.
Activity: 846
Merit: 1000
The One and Only
Just put in my order, and I am already very happy with the Level of service that technopagan provides!
donator
Activity: 129
Swimming in a sea of data
I bought several of the 1x to 16x cables.  They arrived very quickly and work great.  I'm making use of a bunch of 1x slots that I thought couldn't be used due to location and connector size.
Activity: 154
I am interested in purchasing one "PCIe x1 to 16x Adapter Modified Riser Extender Cable" at 2 BTC shipped to the US.  Let me know how you want to proceed with this deal.
I assume you could use these cable mods to run your PCI'e cards from a different PSU to your system PSU?

If you're using a PSU not grounded to the motherboard, do not utilize a cable with modification. Make sure any secondary PSU to be used would be grounded through the motherboard.
How would you go about grounding the PSU to the motherboard? Is is enough to mount them in the same (conductive) case?

I'm not sure if grounding to the case would be sufficient, it may or may not. More input would be helpful.
I've not used 2-PSU setups on my rigs.
legendary
Activity: 1540

By using the mentioned "hack" we will be connecting one "COMMON" line along with the "PS_ON". This is ground(ed), right?
Activity: 489
Merit: 504

How would you go about grounding the PSU to the motherboard? Is is enough to mount them in the same (conductive) case?

Activity: 756
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Definitely, value of hardware is important. I gave the link for temporary purpose only, which i found out yesterday to run my pc & happy that you used that before itself.
The cable you mentioned, is actually the best solution available, coz it won't need additional on/off, watching....

legendary

You can go for that cable, which is hassle free. But yesterday, i have to run my 5870 card, so used the psu(220-250W) in cabinet as it is. Then took another 250 W PSU, using molex to pcie 6 pin connector, connected & powered the 5870 card.
To start PSU, i used a wire to short pin 14 & ground. Pin 14 is GREEN & ground/com is any black which is near.
Everything works fine.
You can try this simple method & for safety use cello tape to cover the wire & 20/24 pin motherboard connector, which avoids accidental pulling of wire & safe to handle.
Or you can buy that cable. I hope technopagan can buy & send for you, but the shipping cost & time will be a problem if you are far from him.

This pages help to make it on your own.
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml
http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

This last one uses a switch, instead of wire, which help you to switch on & off.
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

Thanks for that. I actually used the green/black wire trick many times on water cooled set ups to fill the system and remove air bubbles without booting anything up. I can use that, certainly, but I don't like the idea of someday having to power down the machine remotely (has happened) and having that PSU just running and feeding a GPU, thus I search for something more permanent. I could just hack the thing up, push some clips into the connectors and all but there's enough equipment value involved to go that extra step.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Would you also be able to provide the cable to power up 2 PSUs in tandem? Something like http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11742/cpa-167a/ModRight_CableRight_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html?tl=g2c413s1220&id=qNzMZhNn

You can go for that cable, which is hassle free. But yesterday, i have to run my 5870 card, so used the psu(220-250W) in cabinet as it is. Then took another 250 W PSU, using molex to pcie 6 pin connector, connected & powered the 5870 card.
To start PSU, i used a wire to short pin 14 & ground. Pin 14 is GREEN & ground/com is any black which is near.
Everything works fine.
You can try this simple method & for safety use cello tape to cover the wire & 20/24 pin motherboard connector, which avoids accidental pulling of wire & safe to handle.
Or you can buy that cable. I hope technopagan can buy & send for you, but the shipping cost & time will be a problem if you are far from him.

This pages help to make it on your own.
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml
http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

This last one uses a switch, instead of wire, which help you to switch on & off.
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Aren't the PSU's and/or motherboards floating ground by design?  I just don't know enough about the internal grounding of a computer PSU and the motherboards to speak with any authority which is why I was asking.  But I thought I remember reading somewhere that most commodity hardware on the desktop has floating grounds due to cost issues or something?
Pages:
Jump to: