Pages:
Author

Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters - page 9. (Read 83031 times)

donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
Doesn't an 890FXA-GD70 have 4 usable x16 double slots? I glanced at the photo at MSI to refresh my memory and it seems like it does unless the board is snug up against the side of a case in which case you couldn't fit that fourth in there, hence using the x16 extender I guess huh?

What PSU and what CPU are you using? I understand you believe power is not a concern but if your rails on not properly balanced you could be overloading one of them. PSU & CPU model?

Of course it would be ideal if you could slot that fourth card on board w/o an extender to test.
AMD Phenom II X2 555 CPU
ST1500 PSU

So I had to get creative since the last slot is not that well suited for a double-wide graphics card...
AN installed card not only covers the on mobo power/reset/OC buttons but also interferes with the case wiring...
Anyway, after shortening the pins on mobo and cutting the connectors in half, I got it in there... it a tight fit.

Everything works fine...

Conclusion:

1 - recieved a bad extender cable...
2 - the molex splitter does not draw the same power as the card would from the mobo.  and this probably causes issues I've observed...  I may be 100% wrong on this one, it's just a hunch... Someone else may be more knowledgeable to explain.

Thanks!

Activity: 406
Merit: 251
Doesn't an 890FXA-GD70 have 4 usable x16 double slots? I glanced at the photo at MSI to refresh my memory and it seems like it does unless the board is snug up against the side of a case in which case you couldn't fit that fourth in there, hence using the x16 extender I guess huh?

What PSU and what CPU are you using? I understand you believe power is not a concern but if your rails on not properly balanced you could be overloading one of them. PSU & CPU model?

Of course it would be ideal if you could slot that fourth card on board w/o an extender to test.
donator
Have you tried all 4 cards simultaneously in x16 slots (on board) not using an extender? How much power do you have and what cards are you using? What CPU/RAM/Peripherals?

Have not tried that since I don't have enough room to place all 4 directly onboard.
XFX 5830
4GB ram
no peripherals installed.
power is not an issue. have over 850 Watts available on separate rails.
Activity: 406
Merit: 251
Have you tried all 4 cards simultaneously in x16 slots (on board) not using an extender? How much power do you have and what cards are you using? What CPU/RAM/Peripherals?
donator
- 890FXA-GD70 mobo. have plenty of power
- Windows7 x64. sdk2.4 video driver 11.5 or 11.6
- received the PCIe x16 extender today and attempted to use it.

The system is completely unstable.  BSOD (from video driver) or it simply freezes.

I don't even begin overclocking anything (not enough time to get that far before issues occur).  Stock settings.

if I take out the 4th card the system runs just fine... not using crossfire.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?  Have you experienced this too or have you heard about it?

Thanks!
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
hmm didn't have any luck getting a 1x extender working on my rig

1x extender with end cut off

p5w DH Delxue

2x sapphire 5830 in 16x slots and another sapphire 5830 attempted to plug into 1x slot

if i boot *just* the 5830 in 1x it works fine (no jumpering)
if i boot *just* the 5830 in 1x and a single 5830 in a 16x it works fine (no jumpering)
if i boot all 3 cards only 2 of them show up, and there is a PCI Express Root Port in device manager with a Bang for error Code 12.

Tried disabling audio chipset, 1394 controller and 2x pci-e onboard gigabit NICs without any change

Anyone have any ideas?  this is going to put a cramp in my mining for sure...

This is an uncommon limitation in power distribution for your motherboard. A molex cable would likely solve your issue, send me an e-mail and I can arrange setting you up with a replacement.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
 hmm didn't have any luck getting a 1x extender working on my rig

1x extender with end cut off

p5w DH Delxue

2x sapphire 5830 in 16x slots and another sapphire 5830 attempted to plug into 1x slot

if i boot *just* the 5830 in 1x it works fine (no jumpering)
if i boot *just* the 5830 in 1x and a single 5830 in a 16x it works fine (no jumpering)
if i boot all 3 cards only 2 of them show up, and there is a PCI Express Root Port in device manager with a Bang for error Code 12.

Tried disabling audio chipset, 1394 controller and 2x pci-e onboard gigabit NICs without any change

Anyone have any ideas?  this is going to put a cramp in my mining for sure...
Just got my order -- excellent service.

I can't seem to get it to work on my particular machine, but I doubt it's the fault of the cable. Don't know whose fault it is!

I have a XFX 6870 that needs to connect to a 1x slot. I bought a 1x to 16x adapter (among other things).

My machine is currently using 239W, running a 5850 on the first (and only) 16x slot on the mobo.
The power supply is 650W Corsair  -- so I should have plenty of headroom for a 220W card.

My 650W PSU only has 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors (which are being used) so I used the Molex-to-PCI-E adapters that came with the card.
This card requires (2) PCI-E connectors.

Anyhow, I connected everything up securely, turned on the PC, and it stayed on for about 15 seconds before shutting itself off. I never got the "all clear" post beep.

Advice?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
It sounds as if your card is insufficiently powered. You would need to use 2, 2x4-Pin Molex -> PCIe adapters. So, you'd have 4 molex connectors being turned into 2 PCIe connectors. Using just a straight 1x4-Pin Molex -> PCIe won't do the job usually... even if they came included with the card.
Activity: 560
Merit: 517
I just got my order today in the mail, and I have to say, it was very exciting to open that package. Not because it had some random cables in it or anything like that. It was amazing just to have in my hand a physical product, something very real, that was purchased entirely with Bitcoins. What a profound message on the reality of Bitcoins. I almost want to frame the cable and hang it in my room  Tongue

Anyway, works great. Thank you.
Activity: 392
Just got my order -- excellent service.

I can't seem to get it to work on my particular machine, but I doubt it's the fault of the cable. Don't know whose fault it is!

I have a XFX 6870 that needs to connect to a 1x slot. I bought a 1x to 16x adapter (among other things).

My machine is currently using 239W, running a 5850 on the first (and only) 16x slot on the mobo.
The power supply is 650W Corsair  -- so I should have plenty of headroom for a 220W card.

My 650W PSU only has 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors (which are being used) so I used the Molex-to-PCI-E adapters that came with the card.
This card requires (2) PCI-E connectors.

Anyhow, I connected everything up securely, turned on the PC, and it stayed on for about 15 seconds before shutting itself off. I never got the "all clear" post beep.

Advice?

Matthew
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
It's not safe, but it can be done.

Short a Green and Black wire on the 20/24 pin ATX connector using a paperclip shaped like a U.  Hook up graphics card.  Try to figure out the exact timing of turning everything on.  It needs to be near simultaneous, but not quite.  Basically a few milliseconds after the main PSU starts the dedicated one needs to be switched on.

Although not all PSUs will power on like this, some need a constant draw device like a case fan hooked up to a molex connector.
That's no problem since I have an ATX 24-pin splitter that turns on both PSUs simultaneously. What I'm wondering is whether it creates some sort of power differential having the motherboard on one PSU and a connected Graphicscard on another.

It's fine.  I've done it the way I described successfully once, so a splitter should make it easy mode.  They make special supplemental PSUs for graphics cards that fit in 5.25 bays, I'd assume the work on the same principle.
Hi pulsed, if you have trouble please send an e-mail to [email protected].
Activity: 402
I can't order, complains not confirmed address while it most certainly is Cheesy
Activity: 489
Merit: 504

Short a Green and Black wire on the 20/24 pin ATX connector using a paperclip shaped like a U.  Hook up graphics card.  Try to figure out the exact timing of turning everything on.  It needs to be near simultaneous, but not quite.  Basically a few milliseconds after the main PSU starts the dedicated one needs to be switched on.

Although not all PSUs will power on like this, some need a constant draw device like a case fan hooked up to a molex connector.
That's no problem since I have an ATX 24-pin splitter that turns on both PSUs simultaneously. What I'm wondering is whether it creates some sort of power differential having the motherboard on one PSU and a connected Graphicscard on another.
Activity: 42
Using the molex-modified PCIe x1 cables, and they work so far. Now I'm at the maximum of my PSU and will order a new one. Just a quick question: is it save to power a card on another PSU than the others? I basically have 3 cards already all on 1 PSU, and the fourth will be on PSU #2, and connect its 6/8-pin connector and its molex to this PSU.
Could there be a problem or am I on the safe side?

Activity: 28
Just got my order. Verry happy with the service! Seems like shipping to Bulgaria is no problem ... nice!
Activity: 489
Merit: 504
Using the molex-modified PCIe x1 cables, and they work so far. Now I'm at the maximum of my PSU and will order a new one. Just a quick question: is it save to power a card on another PSU than the others? I basically have 3 cards already all on 1 PSU, and the fourth will be on PSU #2, and connect its 6/8-pin connector and its molex to this PSU.
Could there be a problem or am I on the safe side?
All items are now back in stock
Activity: 846
Merit: 1000
The One and Only
Got my second order yesterday, 8 more cables plus one replacement! Thanks a bunch!
Activity: 56
I've bought about 10 cables from here and so far I am extremely pleased.   There was a slight mishap with my order quantities but Joe took care of it immediately and was very forthcoming and quick about email responses.

Will 100% order again from him.  Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: