Pages:
Author

Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters - page 11. (Read 83034 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Minds are like parachutes they work best when open
Currently out of stock of PCIe Extender Cables and will be back in stock this Tuesday the 7th.

Are you going to have an ample supply of these? I may need somewhere in the region of 15-20 of them for my rigs plus dummy adaptors. Would you be willing to offer me a discount for all these and also what is the quickest you can send them to London UK? Would extra charge allow for a quicker delivery?
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Just wanted to drop in and say thank you.  I ordered a couple of PCIE 16x extensions and they are working great!
Activity: 302
Merit: 250

Sweet .. nice chassis, step up from the cheap and cheerful angle aluminum.

Fits in a rack? Stackable?

How much?

• https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=14
  • First shipment estimated week of June 13th, 2011
  • Dimensions: 48.25cm x 58.50cm x 21.60cm (19'' x 23'' x 8.5'')
  • 2 Chassis stack securely (with Stacking Kit) inside 10U of rack space
  • Great for running 5 to 6 graphics cards securely mounted
  • Rear equipment tray capable of housing 2 PSUs up to 7 1/8'' (18 cm) deep as well as a variety of other devices such as optical drives, water cooling equipment, etc).
  • Mounting rails accommodate up to 4 hard drives.
  • Provides mounting options for power supplies, optical drives, hard drives, or water cooling hardware
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

Sweet .. nice chassis, step up from the cheap and cheerful angle aluminum.

Fits in a rack? Stackable?

How much?
I'm working on setting up the site page to begin taking pre-orders. Specific details listed on the front page of this thread and the web site page @ https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=14

Pictures!

Activity: 291
I just picked up another GPU, so once I earn the BTC (just sold mine a few hours ago) I will buy one of your adapters Cablesaurus.  How long is shipping to zip 37307 (if you can possible tell me)?

Also looking forward to pics of the mining chasis!
- Molex connected cables are needed solely for 5970 and 6990 users
I thought  that power required on all pcie channels might cause problems like some slots melting or something.

I'm not aware of this posing an issue, generally the non molex modified cable would be fine in your case.
Activity: 33

So on regular conditions an riser/extender with no molex modification is not required? Even if I connect 4 5830's to a single motherboard?
I thought  that power required on all pcie channels might cause problems like some slots melting or something.

It cant hurt and you are safe in case you want to upgrade to a dual gpu card, exchanging a psu is less painful than a dead mainboard.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

So on regular conditions an riser/extender with no molex modification is not required? Even if I connect 4 5830's to a single motherboard?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
For all those curious about the newly arriving Mining/Computer Hardware Chassis, pictures will be up of the first model this weekend and orders will begin.
This model will be a rack mountable solution.

Shipments will take about a week to begin, more details and pictures to follow.

can't wait to see it
For all those curious about the newly arriving Mining/Computer Hardware Chassis, pictures will be up of the first model this weekend and orders will begin.
This model will be a rack mountable solution.

Shipments will take about a week to begin, more details and pictures to follow.
I have this motherboard and the xfx 6950, i am thinking about getting another one.

So I'd get one of the x1 to x16, but would I need the molex connection?
And how would I put the gpu in the case as the cable would cause a gap between the x1 and the card wouldn't it?
Also how would I use that open ended x1 slot? would that mean that you'd have to take off the one you have and put that in its place?

Hi there,
- We're working on our hardware chassis, pictures will be up this weekend and shipments will begin as soon as possible
- The open ended slot will fit right onto your 16x card, it is designed to fit your current slot and card
Activity: 24
I have this motherboard and the xfx 6950, i am thinking about getting another one.

So I'd get one of the x1 to x16, but would I need the molex connection?
And how would I put the gpu in the case as the cable would cause a gap between the x1 and the card wouldn't it?
Also how would I use that open ended x1 slot? would that mean that you'd have to take off the one you have and put that in its place?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think you are wrong. Dummy plug is not necessary for the card to be recognized as a device. In my experience dummy plug is only necessary to initiate GPU. In any case, I've tried it just to be sure with and without dummy plug. Also, I tried booting up with a monitor plugged in - no luck. One more thing - I tried taking out one of the working cards from pci e x16 and inserting the extender there, but it also didn't work. Unfortunately, the only conclusion I arrive is that the extender got damaged in transport although I cannot see any obvious damage. Is there any way to check it?

The 1x to 16x Extender will not work from all motherboards from a 16x slot. It generally must be used from the 1x slot to your 16x card.
Every card I've used regardless of extender requires a dummy plug to initiate especially with Windows, and must remain plugged in for the duration of the cards use. This is required for any non crossfired card.

Edit: Saw your PM that things are working now, thanks for the update.
PCIe 1x -> 16x Adapter Extender Cable

Does it fit to HD5xxx without doing additional manipulation?
I mean without need to do jumper...

1x -> 16x Adapter will work for any 16x card from the 1x slot. Bridging is only used on generally lower end motherboards that have trouble detecting, and is independent of the card you use.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 501
Cablesaurus : do you have any pics of the soon to come mining chassis? 

Thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2026
Merit: 1005
PCIe 1x -> 16x Adapter Extender Cable

Does it fit to HD5xxx without doing additional manipulation?
I mean without need to do jumper...
Activity: 126
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my third card. I have this motherboard and 3 5870. Two are in pci e x16 slots and working OK. I bought x16 to x1 converter to get the third in, but my computer doesn't recognize the third card - I can only see 2 in device manager.
I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter. [/img]
Your picture is awesome. Smiley Do you have a Dummy Plug inserted into the card? That's likely why it's not detecting, in Windows a display always needed to be connected to your card, whether real or via GPU Dummy Plug.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think you are wrong. Dummy plug is not necessary for the card to be recognized as a device. In my experience dummy plug is only necessary to initiate GPU. In any case, I've tried it just to be sure with and without dummy plug. Also, I tried booting up with a monitor plugged in - no luck. One more thing - I tried taking out one of the working cards from pci e x16 and inserting the extender there, but it also didn't work. Unfortunately, the only conclusion I arrive is that the extender got damaged in transport although I cannot see any obvious damage. Is there any way to check it?
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my third card. I have this motherboard and 3 5870. Two are in pci e x16 slots and working OK. I bought x16 to x1 converter to get the third in, but my computer doesn't recognize the third card - I can only see 2 in device manager.
I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter. [/img]
Your picture is awesome. Smiley Do you have a Dummy Plug inserted into the card? That's likely why it's not detecting, in Windows a display always needed to be connected to your card, whether real or via GPU Dummy Plug.
Activity: 140
For the 1x 16x w/Molex conector it states:
# The molex connector helps prevent physical cable damage and possible motherboard wear from running a dual-GPU video card through an extender cable

I don't know if I need a molex conector. Does this means it is better but not necessary in any case?

Take a look at this: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=44

If all you've got is one card, you don't need the molex connector, as the cable itself can handle the current that the card draws from the motherboard.  The problem is when you're running multiple cards, the power drawn through the motherboard all adds up, and can potentially melt something.

I don't know the exact point at which you need the molex connector.  I went with it for the single 5970 on my 5-card rig.  Maybe I could have gotten away with not using it, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Following those instructions I can play it safe I guess.
Great link, thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: