Pages:
Author

Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters - page 13. (Read 83034 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Hey guys I just got my 1x->16x extender and I can't get my comp to pick up the 3rd card. I've tried with and without dummy plug, still no go. Can anyone post up a picture of using a 1x slot with the extender to the vid card? My buddy tried everything even messing with bios and nothing seem to get the video card detected.

Comp stats:

-Win 7 64bit
-Already running 2- 5870, using extender to plug in a third card
-Mother board is Asus P5k Pro with both 16x slots already used and using the extender on a 1x slot.

Any help would be much appreciated!
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
So using 2 power supplies with these is a no go?

Do you have trouble reading dude?
Activity: 336
Merit: 100
So using 2 power supplies with these is a no go?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
why are these cables so expensive? Is it any different from this $4 cable? (http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-E-1X-Riser-Card-PCI-Express-Ribbon-Extender-Cable-/180673151583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10f5825f) and any idea why it costs $2.7 extra to cut the side of a pci-e extender?

Plug 'n play ... and the guy obviously knows what he's doing.
Activity: 266
Merit: 251
is it complicated to cut it?

Not particularly: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=53

I use a hacksaw, and then a knife to cut out the remaining plastic bit that's inevitably still in the slot afterwards.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

I believe it's the same cable, but Cablesaurus ships from the US, while that Ebay seller ships from China.  With Cablesaurus you wait 2 or 3 days (assuming you're also in the US), with the other seller you wait 2 or 3 weeks.  If you're depending on having those cables to add more mining capacity, getting them quickly is of utmost importance.
ok, makes sense.
and any idea why it costs $2.7 extra to cut the side of a pci-e extender?

Because there are lazy people who will pay that much to have someone else do it for them.  Cheesy  If you're not one of those people, you can save $2.7 per cable.
is it complicated to cut it?

I believe it's the same cable, but Cablesaurus ships from the US, while that Ebay seller ships from China.  With Cablesaurus you wait 2 or 3 days (assuming you're also in the US), with the other seller you wait 2 or 3 weeks.  If you're depending on having those cables to add more mining capacity, getting them quickly is of utmost importance.

and any idea why it costs $2.7 extra to cut the side of a pci-e extender?

Because there are lazy people who will pay that much to have someone else do it for them.  Cheesy  If you're not one of those people, you can save $2.7 per cable.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
why are these cables so expensive? Is it any different from this $4 cable? (http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-E-1X-Riser-Card-PCI-Express-Ribbon-Extender-Cable-/180673151583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10f5825f) and any idea why it costs $2.7 extra to cut the side of a pci-e extender?
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
There was an issue with the web site yesterday processing Bitcoin orders, if you ran into trouble placing an order please let me know. You were not affected by this if you received a confirmation e-mail.
Activity: 291
19cm is about the max you can go with PCIe. THats why Cablesaurus doesnt make them any longer, and its also why you cant daisy chain them. IF you wanted a longer cable you would have to HEAVILY shield each of the many wires of the extender.  PCIe was never meant to be used over long distances so there is almost no noise filtering in the bus, it just wasn't designed for that. 

If the extenders I ordered from the chinese seller on ebay doesnt show up by Tuesday, I will order them from Cablesaurus.
Activity: 238
Bought a couple of them a while ago great service and communication.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 501
bought 1 of them Smiley

Thanks.
Daisy chaining DOES NOT WORK.  If you get it to work at all, your system will be horribly unstable.  This is unfortunate, because as far as I can tell, it's impossible to get longer cables than the ones Cablesaurus sells for a reasonable price.

That said, I've bought several cables from Cablesaurus, and they work just fine, and service has been great.  There was a small miscommunication in which I was sent a x1->x16 w/ molex cable instead of a full x16 w/ molex cable.  He sent out the proper cable immediately at no charge, and I used to x1->x16 in the meantime.

By the way Cablesaurus, I picked up some envelopes today, so I'll send the x1->x16 cable back to you as soon as I get a chance to go to the post office.
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Got my 3 cables (16x extender) and +1 1x to 16x on the way.

Tested it today and installed another video card on my mining rig.  The cables were shorter then expected (7 inches) but I manage to fit the card by balancing it on another card.  Works great!  Thanks.

Will test daisy chaining them later on.

+100 on fast shipping and excellent communications.
inh
Activity: 155
Another vouch for great service, got my cables fast + great communication!
Activity: 112
"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"
Hi I've briefly gone thru the thread, I know some mods are done and stuff but are the 1->16x extender adapters readily available in stores? I've been meaning to build my first rig and have been trying to skim on the MOBO and other peripherals to mining as much as possible. I don't think I can wait for ordering this to arrive.

And does using PCI -> PCIe adapters hurt the MOBO in anyway? I'm trying to get 5/6 slots total (PCIe + PCI) and get 8 GPU (2x5970 + 4x4850) on 1 rig with 2 PSU which I still have no idea how I'm going to hook them up yet.

Is this possible?
My partners and I have taken several suggestions into account and are working on several changes to the Chassis to be released imminently. We will have pictures and tons of details available soon.
But, small mistake.
I ordered 21 nos. 1x to 16x modified extender & 2 nos. 16x to 16x extender, & i received the same only. I counted it to verify.
But, the customs dispatch deceleration note says, 15 + 2 =17 only with a value of 240+ USD.
Thanks.

Hey there Dishwara,
Actually that was just an issue with getting the label to print in Paypal with an old method, as each cable does not weigh 1oz. Paypal shipping is weird sometimes.
Activity: 291
I wish I had seen this last week Sad  I bought a few extenders from some chinese seller on ebay and its taking forever to get them Sad

Do you have any pics of the mining chasis yet?
Pages:
Jump to: