Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 246. (Read 597344 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Yes cpu mining will be great for people who don't have powerful gpu or can not afford one. Now a lot of AMD gpu are sold out everywhere and prices have risen quite a bit.

Another suggestion,
I think we need to support CPU mining sooner than later.
This way we can attract more native BOINC users to join the Gridcoin team.
Not sure how we ensure they are in Gridcoin team before we can account the BOINC credits for POW work.

Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go, the better!

Join Today!

Suggestion for easy publicity (only the team captain can set this up) - join any/all relevant WCG team challenges as they come up. The team will inevitably win from time to time, and such wins (or near wins) can be publicized widely. They will also draw the attention of competing team members and some may be tempted to jump teams. Finally, our own team members might find it motivating to follow challenge progress - it provides one more reason to pay attention to the WCG site.

I was captain of a WCG team for a while and found this approach useful and fun. We (about six of us at the time) once beat a team someone had unwisely named "U.S. Army". We got a lot of bragging mileage out of that one.    Smiley

It takes about 10 minutes time once or twice a month for a captain to enter a team in all the challenges of the moment. Oh, BOINC challenges too, if you like, but in my experience they are more obscure, more geeky, and less valuable for PR purposes than the WCG challenges.

Challenges, ftw!

Activity: 325
Merit: 250
Is there a way to git clone this without having to download the 150MB of useless binaries?
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Just had this error this morning:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: gridcoin-qt.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 0.8.5.1
  Problem Signature 03: 52bf5f4c
  Problem Signature 04: SQLite.NET
  Problem Signature 05: 0.21.1869.3794
  Problem Signature 06: 420cc9f5
  Problem Signature 07: 161
  Problem Signature 08: 3b
  Problem Signature 09: System.AccessViolationException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 8189
  Additional Information 2: 81898da2f12cbbe34c2d9de731501f01
  Additional Information 3: b9f2
  Additional Information 4: b9f2bc089d5b611f83c3acf3a1385464
Activity: 406
I'm not sure too... Yesterday i got 50 (straight) BOINC utilization while i had 1730 avg. daily credits, and got accepted 2 block with reward 75 GRC. After this i restarted wallet/miner/BOINC and got 100 utilization  Huh
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
Anyone having trouble with the boinc processing power number:

50% weight goes to the"Boinc Avg Daily Credits":  if you are lower than 1000,that is the culprit and is dragging down your total.  To get to 100, you need to increase those.

Other technical solutions:

-Ensure you are running gridcoin as admin
-for a very rare issue when performance counters are corrupted:
lodctr /r
from the command prompt
-Try adding projects such as milkyway, world community grid, rosetta

The system is working for 100 users, so rest assured the problem can be solved.

Thanks,
Grid

i'm not sure i have undestand well: if i want 100 Boinc processing power, i need to increase my Boinc Avg Daily Credits. Now i have 300 Boinc Avg Daily Credits...if i get 1000, i will have 100 Boinc processing power? and to get 1000 i have to use boinc for more hours at day?

thanks!
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Another suggestion,
I think we need to support CPU mining sooner than later.
This way we can attract more native BOINC users to join the Gridcoin team.
Not sure how we ensure they are in Gridcoin team before we can account the BOINC credits for POW work.

Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go, the better!

Join Today!

Suggestion for easy publicity (only the team captain can set this up) - join any/all relevant WCG team challenges as they come up. The team will inevitably win from time to time, and such wins (or near wins) can be publicized widely. They will also draw the attention of competing team members and some may be tempted to jump teams. Finally, our own team members might find it motivating to follow challenge progress - it provides one more reason to pay attention to the WCG site.

I was captain of a WCG team for a while and found this approach useful and fun. We (about six of us at the time) once beat a team someone had unwisely named "U.S. Army". We got a lot of bragging mileage out of that one.    Smiley

It takes about 10 minutes time once or twice a month for a captain to enter a team in all the challenges of the moment. Oh, BOINC challenges too, if you like, but in my experience they are more obscure, more geeky, and less valuable for PR purposes than the WCG challenges.

Challenges, ftw!

From what I know, coins-e is considering adding Gridcoin.

Are any exchanges trading Gridcoin?
As wrote GridCoin, there is big picture of Cow now :\
Oh, sorry i became confused by domain names >_<
All we have for now is google docs Spreadsheet.
legendary
From what I know, coins-e is considering adding Gridcoin.

Activity: 187
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

Join Today!

Challenges, ftw!

legendary

Join Today!
legendary
Now that all the issues seem to have been worked out we should be ready for addition.

Hey guys.. not sure if it's been discussed yet here, but is GRC going to be hitting any exchanges soon? Or coinmarketcap?
Or is there still a bit of promo and debugging to be done first?
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. But can I check the Boinc power? The Gridcoin wallet shows 53, but where is that coming from?

Guido
Look @ the release notes a few pages back for "homogenized boinc calculation"

Its 50% from 1/10th of your boinc avg daily credits that are on the screen, and 50% from your total boinc thread utilization.

Thanks!
Grid

Hi Rob,

Can I use other PC's to increase the average?
No, sorry, it goes by the host daily_avg_credits (determined by the official project API);  so each host is separate.

Thanks!

Grid
It looks like we have a microdust flooding vulnerability, i can't see any fees hardcoded in gridcoin client.

Solution: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2577

We already added the litecoin IsDust() function and you cant send any dust for less than .02 grc.  If you send .0001 for example, the fee is .02grc.

Best Regards,
Rob
Activity: 19
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. But can I check the Boinc power? The Gridcoin wallet shows 53, but where is that coming from?

Guido

Its 50% from 1/10th of your boinc avg daily credits that are on the screen, and 50% from your total boinc thread utilization.

Thanks!
Grid

Hi Rob,

Can I use other PC's to increase the average?
Hi Rob,

Guido

Thanks!
Grid
Regarding the exchange:
We were told http://www.ecrypto.net/ started trading gridcoin however I just went to the site and see a big cow on the front page; I hope for the sake of anyone who deposited BTC there they were not scammed.

We e-mailed all the exchanges who have more than 15 pairs.  We received a message from coins-e that they are considering gridcoin.

A cryptsy forum link @ the top of page 1.

Have not heard from Vircurex yet.

Thanks!

Grid
Activity: 19
Hi Rob,

Guido
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
Hey guys.. not sure if it's been discussed yet here, but is GRC going to be hitting any exchanges soon? Or coinmarketcap?
Or is there still a bit of promo and debugging to be done first?
Jump to: