Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 258. (Read 597344 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
sounds like a fork to me. you need to restart your gridcoin client.

Did something change with the system yesterday? I used to get .3 to 1.2 gridcoins every 30 minutes or so.
In the last 24 hours I mined 7500, at my 106 KHash rate.

I can't complain about my sudden good fortune but this is nuts! Cheesy
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Did something change with the system yesterday? I used to get .3 to 1.2 gridcoins every 30 minutes or so.
In the last 24 hours I mined 7500, at my 106 KHash rate.

I can't complain about my sudden good fortune but this is nuts! Cheesy
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Have you found a block yet since you started pool mining?  I believe it doesn't kick in until you find a block, but then you get a portion of all blocks that are found from the pool (anyone with poolmining=true).  That is the advantage, not the change in difficulty.  You will not have pseudo-share difficulty like traditional pools. 

Ah, I see... So everyone in the pool gets an equal share of the blocks found by the pool, but first you must find a block and you must  also find a block often enough to be kept in the lookback period... Now I understand, thank you!

If difficulty is 500 and everyone in the pool is cpu mining, then pretty much no one will find any blocks? Am I understanding this correctly?  Huh

It's to my understanding that the pool is for gpu mining. Cpu mining is done differently: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

Yes you got it, the integrated pool is for gpu mining, and yes you have to find a block first before getting payments, and you keep getting paid even after you stop pool mining until the period is over; and you do get paid by other miners who find blocks, that's why you get about 30 payments a day at this current difficulty.

The RBPPS in other pools is about the same except pools commonly keep about 3% for overhead while we are free and your main risk is submitting stale shares.

Rob H.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Have you found a block yet since you started pool mining?  I believe it doesn't kick in until you find a block, but then you get a portion of all blocks that are found from the pool (anyone with poolmining=true).  That is the advantage, not the change in difficulty.  You will not have pseudo-share difficulty like traditional pools. 

Ah, I see... So everyone in the pool gets an equal share of the blocks found by the pool, but first you must find a block and you must  also find a block often enough to be kept in the lookback period... Now I understand, thank you!

If difficulty is 500 and everyone in the pool is cpu mining, then pretty much no one will find any blocks? Am I understanding this correctly?  Huh

It's to my understanding that the pool is for gpu mining. Cpu mining is done differently: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

legendary

No there is no difference in difficulty; if there was everyone would want to pool mine to get something for nothing. LOL.  

I may not understand your question; if you are asking what is the benefit for you personally; none at this time since you can find a few blocks a day, it doesn't make much difference to you at this time.

But if we were solo mining feather, with a 100 difficulty, you would not get anything for 15-30 days; at that point the pool would come in handy, because the lookback would be 60 days (its dynamic), and members of the pool would be paid every time any other member of the pool finds a block, making regular payments would satisfy some miners as they go - if we had a high difficulty like that.

Rob H.

Ok, let me try to explain my question better:

When I normally join a pool, let's say I am joining for a coin which has a difficulty of 500. When I mine at that pool I submit shares that are a target difficulty of 16 (NOT a difficulty of 500).

Every round when a block of difficulty 500 is found they compare how many difficulty 16 shares I have submitted and pay me based on a ratio of my difficulty 16 shares as compared to the total of difficulty 16 shares.

Now, let's say Gridcoin's real difficulty is 500. When I join Gridcoin's pool, I am still mining at difficulty 500 which means I am NOT submitting shares, I am only solving blocks.

HOW am I EVER going to get paid from the pool when there are no shares being submitted...?

Have you found a block yet since you started pool mining?  I believe it doesn't kick in until you find a block, but then you get a portion of all blocks that are found from the pool (anyone with poolmining=true).  That is the advantage, not the change in difficulty.  You will not have pseudo-share difficulty like traditional pools.  

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
No there is no difference in difficulty; if there was everyone would want to pool mine to get something for nothing. LOL.  

I may not understand your question; if you are asking what is the benefit for you personally; none at this time since you can find a few blocks a day, it doesn't make much difference to you at this time.

But if we were solo mining feather, with a 100 difficulty, you would not get anything for 15-30 days; at that point the pool would come in handy, because the lookback would be 60 days (its dynamic), and members of the pool would be paid every time any other member of the pool finds a block, making regular payments would satisfy some miners as they go - if we had a high difficulty like that.

Rob H.

When I normally join a pool, let's say I am joining for a coin which has a difficulty of 500. When I mine at that pool I submit shares that are a target difficulty of 16 (NOT a difficulty of 500).

Every round when a block of difficulty 500 is found they compare how many difficulty 16 shares I have submitted and pay me based on a ratio of my difficulty 16 shares as compared to the total of difficulty 16 shares.

Now, let's say Gridcoin's real difficulty is 500. When I join Gridcoin's pool, I am still mining at difficulty 500 which means I am NOT submitting shares, I am only solving blocks.

HOW am I EVER going to get paid from the pool when there are no shares being submitted...?

Chainjoes.com

Rob H.

Can anyone please explain the benefit of "poolmining=true"...?

I have tried setting "poolmining=true" a couple of times and cgminer just continues to mine at the real difficulty, if the share difficulty doesn't decrease for "poolmining=true", then why even have it at all...?

Thanks!
Why have it at all:
Because people with cards slower than 500kh/s can be in the pool and receive regular payments over time.
If the difficulty rose to 10 lets say, the 100kh/s card would still be in the pool forever, because the difficulty changes the lookback period.
And if the 100kh/s user finds any block during the lookback period they stay in the pool.
So it simulates the equivalent of how a real pool functions.

If a user wants to take the risk of finding a block by solo mining they can, but they may not receive payments for long periods of time when difficulty is high.

Rob H.

That really does not answer my question.

I have a card that does ~400 KH/s, when I joined the pool there was literally ZERO difference in the difficulty that I was mining at. I was mining at the full target difficulty.

If there is literally ZERO difference between solo mining difficulty and the pool's share difficulty then what is the point of having "poolmining=true"...?

Rob H.

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
What Rob explained was, you experience less variance in payouts.
You are right, this does not affect the difficulty, it lowers risk.
Chainjoes.com

I have tried setting "poolmining=true" a couple of times and cgminer just continues to mine at the real difficulty, if the share difficulty doesn't decrease for "poolmining=true", then why even have it at all...?

Thanks!
Why have it at all:
Because people with cards slower than 500kh/s can be in the pool and receive regular payments over time.
If the difficulty rose to 10 lets say, the 100kh/s card would still be in the pool forever, because the difficulty changes the lookback period.
And if the 100kh/s user finds any block during the lookback period they stay in the pool.

If a user wants to take the risk of finding a block by solo mining they can, but they may not receive payments for long periods of time when difficulty is high.

Rob H.

That really does not answer my question.

I have a card that does ~400 KH/s, when I joined the pool there was literally ZERO difference in the difficulty that I was mining at. I was mining at the full target difficulty.

If there is literally ZERO difference between solo mining difficulty and the pool's share difficulty then what is the point of having "poolmining=true"...?

Thanks!
Why have it at all:

Rob H.

All of us have mined, but we have also donated to Boinc and world community grid, so it is all good. I am sure others will understand.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

I agree with you that we have a small but loyalty community. I am afraid that the small community has mined a lot. Some others might think GRC has been premined by a small community in the future.

Besides, a lot of other coins with similar ideas are coming out. I know some coins just launched in China is cooperated with World Community Grid.
Hi Imue,

www.baihuicoin.com

I have no idea how this coin works, but I am pretty sure it is a PnD coin. But they claimed that it is the only coin that benefits the real science and cooperates with WCG. But I doubt that, I think it is just a QRK clone.

BR

I took a look at baihuicoins website and explanation translated to English and one of the problems I see is the wallet hasn't been rebranded from BTC to Baihuicoin, (IE the base58 addresses are still Bitcoin addresses) for one, two, they don't go into any detail how the PoW is checked by other users.  I find it hard to believe this group solved the PoW problem.  At this time I don't feel they are a threat to gridcoin, and don't see a way that it actually works.  Im open minded so feel free to correct me if any assumptions are wrong.

Thanks!
Rob H.

Chainjoes.com

Thanks!
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
It just means the person that mined it, was not synched with the network and it was rejected.

There's something magical going on.
Prior to this I'd only found two blocks. One that proc'd and the other vaporized.

Today I found 3 blocks in the last two hours! And that's with a 106 KH/s rate.

The gridcoin gods are smiling!

what does it mean when a block vaporized?

ok, thx. If i have understood correctly, i can know that because the number next letter "R" on cgime increments by...is that right?
legendary
It just means the person that mined it, was not synched with the network and it was rejected.

Prior to this I'd only found two blocks. One that proc'd and the other vaporized.

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

Chainjoes.com
Also, the Gridcoin daemon for explorer.gridcoin.us has stalled
Chainjoes.com
Question:

What is the benefit of poolmining=true

When I set poolmining=true cgminer reports the same difficulty and I don't seem to be finding shares any faster, so it seems to me that I am just mining at full difficulty as if I was solo mining but I have to share the rewards if I find a block...?
Why do most block rewards have the alias I set for them, but occasionally I get transactions that show an address in blueish text for the block reward?
Just found 2 more two minutes apart. I sure hope they don't end up ghosts.
Jump to: