Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 257. (Read 597344 times)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
All,

Due to the syncing issues some people are still having and to the discovery that port 9778 (Gridcoins Node port) is used by apple updates and one virus, we are going to globally change Gridcoins port tomorrow at 1PM CST to port 32760 (the highest unused non-ephemeral port). This requires an update to the client so it will require either an "upgrade" (if you are running the latest beta) or a re-load from the MSI.

I just wanted to let everyone know in advance.

We have one developer working on finding the sync problem in parallel in case this does not fix it but we want to try to isolate the problem.

Thanks!

Grid

Sounds good!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Bravo ! Smiley

Joined the team with my 3930k powah! :X
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
All,

Due to the syncing issues some people are still having and to the discovery that port 9778 (Gridcoins Node port) is used by apple updates and one virus, we are going to globally change Gridcoins port tomorrow at 1PM CST to port 32760 (the highest unused non-ephemeral port). This requires an update to the client so it will require either an "upgrade" (if you are running the latest beta) or a re-load from the MSI.

I just wanted to let everyone know in advance.

We have one developer working on finding the sync problem in parallel in case this does not fix it but we want to try to isolate the problem.

Thanks!

Grid
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Joined the team with my 3930k powah! :X
legendary
Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go the better!

Join Today!
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
need to specify boinc install folder and boinc data folder in gridcoin.conf .
Hey Guys,

Hopefully someone can help out, I keep getting the following error with 18 hrs still to sync when using gridcoin-qt for the 1st time.

Gridcoin-Qt(OSS GUI Client for Gridcoin) has stopped working...

Anyone had this before?

Hey Trader, sent you a PM.
legendary
need to specify boinc install folder and boinc data folder in gridcoin.conf .
Hey Guys,

Hopefully someone can help out, I keep getting the following error with 18 hrs still to sync when using gridcoin-qt for the 1st time.

Anyone had this before?
Activity: 210
Hey Guys,

Anyone had this before?
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
any word/news on pool mining w/o having to find a block first?
i mean the concept of the coin is still good but this keeps ppl away and when difficulty rises it will become impossible for new miners to solo mine and join the pool.
There needs to come a solution for this..
Hi Prins,

I think we are good for a whole year; finding a block with a slow card isn't a problem until our difficulty reaches 20 and that's a long ways away.  

Remember as difficulty rises you stay in the pool longer to keep receiving payments.

Thanks,
Grid

legendary
Yes that is not a bad idea.

Traderman and others,

I think some of us may have signed up with BOINC projects listed on the "User ID Management" tab in the mining console.
I did that (Malaria Control and Rosetta) just to be sure and followed cpu mining instruction.

Maybe we can have a consistent "Gridcoin" team for all of these projects and sum up them up in total.
In the end, we can publish all the BOINC credits on a weekly basis the "Gridcoin" team contributed, not limited to the World Community Grid.
Overall, it will be a very good Ad campaign for Gridcoin and its applications.

John
Activity: 32
Traderman and others,

I think some of us may have signed up with BOINC projects listed on the "User ID Management" tab in the mining console.
I did that (Malaria Control and Rosetta) just to be sure and followed cpu mining instruction.

Maybe we can have a consistent "Gridcoin" team for all of these projects and sum up them up in total.
In the end, we can publish all the BOINC credits on a weekly basis the "Gridcoin" team contributed, not limited to the World Community Grid.
Overall, it will be a very good Ad campaign for Gridcoin and its applications.

John
Activity: 50
any word/news on pool mining w/o having to find a block first?
i mean the concept of the coin is still good but this keeps ppl away and when difficulty rises it will become impossible for new miners to solo mine and join the pool.
There needs to come a solution for this..
Activity: 130
Interesting. I wish I had some beer so I could cry in it. Smiley
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
If a fork creates useless coins how exactly do they get confirmations? I could see the confirmations counting down on the coins, and then the maturity countdown. It's essentially showing them as valid even though they were garbage once a new sync was performed.

It's happened to me a few times as well lol, so I know how you feel seeing them all disappear. And they show up as getting confirmed because when you get forked, the forked chain becomes the "real" chain, so each time you find a new block, it confirms the previous ones. It's totally unaware that it's on the wrong chain so it goes on as normal.
If a fork creates useless coins how exactly do they get confirmations? I could see the confirmations counting down on the coins, and then the maturity countdown. It's essentially showing them as valid even though they were garbage once a new sync was performed.
Damn. It *was* too good to be true. All 7500 coins gone Sad
Less than 5051250.

There are 33675 blocks when I wrote this, but the thing is the reward goes from 5 - 150 GRC. 5 GRC if the person who finds the block isn't running BOINC, and 6 - 150 depending if BOINC utilization is at 100% when block is found. Usually that amount is 150 though. But yea, there have been a lot of blocks found with less than a 150 reward though, and the 5051250 amount is granted that each reward was 150 GRC
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
How many grid coins exist so far?

If you fork what you need to do is delete the blocks and chainstate folders in your \AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder. And relaunch the client.
I've done that several times. I usually restart the client every hour or two to make sure it's in sync, since it was always stalling before.
Jump to: