Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 264. (Read 597344 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
It was most likely an orphan which happens occasionally when solo-ming.  This is when someone solves the block on the network just before you do. Your wallet shows you mined the block but once it is check with the network it is invalidated and shows up as a "?" and usually disappears once you restart you wallet or reindex to the blockchain.  Have you tried the internal pool yet? (setting poolmining=true in your config)

No I have not. Is the payout proportional to the hashrate or something ? And any more settings besides poolmining=true to be set ?
I was under the impression its only solo mining.

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1995-pooled-mining/?p=15597

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
It was most likely an orphan which happens occasionally when solo-ming.  This is when someone solves the block on the network just before you do. Your wallet shows you mined the block but once it is check with the network it is invalidated and shows up as a "?" and usually disappears once you restart you wallet or reindex to the blockchain.  Have you tried the internal pool yet? (setting poolmining=true in your config)

No I have not. Is the payout proportional to the hashrate or something ? And any more settings besides poolmining=true to be set ?
I was under the impression its only solo mining.
legendary
Does your mining console say Version:33?

Yes it does.

Yes it does. Somebody really needs to check this.
legendary
Ok somebody really needs to explain this now http://i.imgur.com/MvzQyVH.png

The image clearly shows that I had recieved a block (which was my 2nd block) at a certain timestamp in the guiminer, however the transaction just disappeared after that from the wallet (after initiallty appearing in the transactions)!!

Is this a security bug or something ?

Make sure you are on the same last block as the block explorer: http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
Also make sure you have the latest wallet/client from gridcoin.us (use the QT-beta download on the lower right) here: www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin-beta.msi

I am on the latest block and even mined a block after that (hopefully that doesnt disappear). Cant understand why it happened.

Can anyone explain ? Or else this could possibly be a major flaw ?

The image clearly shows that I had recieved a block (which was my 2nd block) at a certain timestamp in the guiminer, however the transaction just disappeared after that from the wallet (after initiallty appearing in the transactions)!!

Make sure you are on the same last block as the block explorer: http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
Also make sure you have the latest wallet/client from gridcoin.us (use the QT-beta download on the lower right) here: www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin-beta.msi

I am on the latest block and even mined a block after that (hopefully that doesnt disappear). Cant understand why it happened.

Can anyone explain ? Or else this could possibly be a major flaw ?
legendary
Couldn't Bitcoin just implement Boinc?

Well for one the Sha256 algorithm is maintained by a massive network of ASIC.   These specialized miners would be unable to participate in BOINC research and they do not have an onboard cpu that could participate either.  That's why scrypt was chosen since almost all scrypt mining rigs (not FPGAs) have both gpus and cpus that could be used for hashing and Boinc research in tandem.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Couldn't Bitcoin just implement Boinc?
legendary
Will pools need to be specialized for Gridcoin/BOINC?
I think I'm going to do some research into pool operation Smiley

Yes, there is a native pool available by setting poolmining=true in the gridcoin.conf (I have not used it myself)
legendary

Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Will pools need to be specialized for Gridcoin/BOINC?
I think I'm going to do some research into pool operation Smiley

legendary
I see this is a scrypt coin, but the 'about gridcoin' thing explains that it only uses unused CPU cycles. So is it using a CPU for scrypt? Can you use dedicated GPU farms? When will the linux version be available?

The blockchain is secured by scrypt and mined via GPU as a traditional coin.  The reward for mining a block, however, is based on the CPU's participation in BIONC.  So the reward ranges from 5 GRC (mining without BOINC running) to 150 GRC (majority of CPU power dedicated to BOINC).  BOINC is an open computer grid allowing one to participate in a variety of scientific and medical research.  
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Some of the projects on the World Community Grid have gpu support. The way it works is that mining is done mostly by gpu and Boinc uses the cpu depending on how much % you tell it to use.

Here is Team Gridcoin: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

I see this is a scrypt coin, but the 'about gridcoin' thing explains that it only uses unused CPU cycles. So is it using a CPU for scrypt? Can you use dedicated GPU farms? When will the linux version be available?

Gotchya, makes sense now. Any idea on linux availability?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Some of the projects on the World Community Grid have gpu support. The way it works is that mining is done mostly by gpu and Boinc uses the cpu depending on how much % you tell it to use.

Here is Team Gridcoin: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Just had this error this morning:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-56' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
   at boinc.frmMining.timerBoincBlock_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18052 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
boinc
    Assembly Version: 1.17.8.79
    Win32 Version: 1.17.8.79
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Gridcoin/boinc.DLL
GVM
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1.7
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2.8
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Gridcoin/GVM.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18021 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18036 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18021 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18060 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Now it shows a synced. Hopefully will stay that way... about to start mining. Also, I have these addnodes:

addnode=76.187.184.27:9778
addnode=66.187.94.194:9778
addnode=76.74.177.224:9778
addnode=84.125.196.167:9778
addnode=71.233.139.62:9778
addnode=72.92.48.105:9778

Not sure if that made a difference too or not.

Hey, guys? May be there are some other nodes to add, because this ones don't work for me. No connection Sad
Or may be I should setup incoming port in my router. Which one then?
Thanks!

The default port to forward is "9778" but if you prefer to use another port you can add this to your gridcoin.conf:

Code:
port=####

Just replace the "####" with whatever port number you would like to use.
Is there a question mark beside it?

Ok this is really strange ... I hit my second block and it was showing "Immature" (just like the first block) ... I thought after sometime it will be added to my balance (i.e when the block "matures") .. but later to my amazement the bloack reward just disappeared !!

Has anyone had this problem of block reward just disappearing once it has been shown ?

No there is no question mark ... its  just disappeared !! Its not even showing in the transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Is there a question mark beside it?

Ok this is really strange ... I hit my second block and it was showing "Immature" (just like the first block) ... I thought after sometime it will be added to my balance (i.e when the block "matures") .. but later to my amazement the bloack reward just disappeared !!

Has anyone had this problem of block reward just disappearing once it has been shown ?
Jump to: