Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 268. (Read 597251 times)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
When you use poolmining=true you become part of the internal pool.

Oh wow, I totally misunderstood the use of "poolmining=" I thought that "poolmining=true" enabled other users to mine on your client using their own wallet addresses with a pooled payout similar to p2pool.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
When you use poolmining=true you become part of the internal pool.

Would solo mining fix this?

As far as I know solo mining is the ONLY mining option... Where else are you mining at...?

Also, would anyone care to guess the value of the coins? I wouldn't mind buying $25 worth from someone. Preferably from Canada since I can use an email bank transfer and the recipient would know it can't have a chargeback like paypal.

There's only been a few GRC trades that I am aware of:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wtb-buying-gridcoin-327827 - Offers of 0.001 to 0.002 BTC per 1,000 GRC
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wtb-grc-gridcoin-user-derm-347908 - Apparent sales of 10,000 GRC per 1 BTC
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-gridcoins-349365 - Sale of 500 GRC for 50 mBTC
Chainjoes.com
What's the syntax for commenting out lines in the .conf file?

Code:
#This is a comment in the conf file
Chainjoes.com

As far as I know solo mining is the ONLY mining option... Where else are you mining at...?

Also, would anyone care to guess the value of the coins? I wouldn't mind buying $25 worth from someone. Preferably from Canada since I can use an email bank transfer and the recipient would know it can't have a chargeback like paypal.

There's only been a few GRC trades that I am aware of:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wtb-buying-gridcoin-327827 - Offers of 0.001 to 0.002 BTC per 1,000 GRC
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wtb-grc-gridcoin-user-derm-347908 - Apparent sales of 10,000 GRC per 1 BTC
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-gridcoins-349365 - Sale of 500 GRC for 50 mBTC
What's the syntax for commenting out lines in the .conf file?
Looks like the database ate my post. Still having sync issues with the addnodes.

Chainjoes.com
All mine have been working great the whole day thankfully. Is there a compiled list of working nodes? I can start one up if there isn't.

As of 10:49 PM Bitcointalk time, I'm at block 28271

addnode=71.162.218.111

I am using:

Code:
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27:9778
addnode=66.187.94.194:9778
addnode=76.74.177.224:9778
addnode=84.125.196.167:9778
addnode=71.233.139.62:9778
addnode=72.92.48.105:9778
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
All mine have been working great the whole day thankfully. Is there a compiled list of working nodes? I can start one up if there isn't.

As of 10:49 PM Bitcointalk time, I'm at block 28271

addnode=71.162.218.111
Chainjoes.com
Nope. It's my only machine. I have a habit of giving my computers away when I upgrade. Smiley

I'm stalled at block 28146. Anyone else?

The machine that is stalled, are you mining on that computer and also mining on it from another computer at the same time?

Yeah, it seems my theory has been completely blown out of the water because my other machine just stalled out now for apparently no reason, lol
Chainjoes.com
Can any of you help me in understanding this?

I used to fold@home for cancer research until crypto-currencies came along, and I guess I saw an opportunity to make a bit of money for once. In a way I do feel a little guilty for giving up a good cause and i've always felt if the two could ever be combined it would be revolutionary. Does this coin offer that? If so, then surely is it not decentralised?

Hello,

This coin rewards you based on the amount of processing you apply towards a program called BOINC.

BOINC is a platform for volunteer grid computing which uses your spare processing cycles to advance scientific studies.

It is very much like what you have been doing, except that when you use BOINC with Gridcoin you are eligible for increased GRC block rewards based on the amount of processing power being applied to the BOINC application.

It is very much decentralized as no person/entity directly regulates/controls the funds flowing through the GRC network.
Nope. It's my only machine. I have a habit of giving my computers away when I upgrade. Smiley

The machine that is stalled, are you mining on that computer and also mining on it from another computer at the same time?
Activity: 238
Can any of you help me in understanding this?

I used to fold@home for cancer research until crypto-currencies came along, and I guess I saw an opportunity to make a bit of money for once. In a way I do feel a little guilty for giving up a good cause and i've always felt if the two could ever be combined it would be revolutionary. Does this coin offer that? If so, then surely is it not decentralised?
Chainjoes.com

Chainjoes.com
Alright, I believe I have tracked the source of the problem (at least for me anyway).

As mentioned earlier I am running two clients on two different machines.

Machine "A" is my desktop and has been running fine all night.

Machine "B" is my laptop and it is continuously having problems.

Machine "A" runs the client and also runs cgminer set to "-loadbalance" bewteen Machine "A" and Machine "B".

Machine "B" runs the client and Pooler's CPUMiner.

It seems that every time cgminer on Machine "B" finds a block on Machine "A", Machine "A" is credited with a full reward as if it had come through the loopback address (which it did not). The transaction then usually gains one or two confirmations and then the client stops updating which is when I am forced to re-launch the app (usually having to launch with "-rescan" or "-salvagewallet" to get things running.

Once I am up and have had some coffee I will start looking through the source and see if I can find the problem in the loopback address check.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Same thing happened, one stalled and got left behind, but everything else ran smoothly. So far it seems to be running a lot better though

Same here one was stalled a few blocks behind when I just checked, had to -reindex the chain to sync it again.
Maybe it will get better as more people finally get on the latest client version.
Mine doesn't appear to be doing anything in the wallet. Though my miner is now functioning after a night of 500 Internal Server Errors.

And I have 217 immature gridcoins waiting on me now. I don't recognize the addresses (in blue text) they come from, so I have no idea if it was a gift or the last few days of mining catching up.

Now to try and sync up to the network again.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Same thing happened, one stalled and got left behind, but everything else ran smoothly. So far it seems to be running a lot better though
Chainjoes.com
Alright, the new wallet has stalled out too, but the problem seems to only be with the wallet on my laptop now. My other machine seems to be running fine, I'm just going to leave that one running for now and I'll mess with the client on my laptop later as it is late and I am getting tired...
Chainjoes.com
My client running the wallet with the coins from the old blockchain has stalled out again. It seems that particular set of coins is somehow corrupted. I'm just going to go back to the fresh wallet. I'll hold onto the glitchy wallet for now in case a future update fixes the problem, but for now I'm just going to see how the fresh wallets go.
Jump to: