Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 271. (Read 597251 times)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100
GRC has no market yet. why so many rubbish coins at cryptsy while not accepting GRC. that is ridiculous.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Thats cool, I'll do a global upgrade on a certain near block, but first Id like to make sure the problem happens one more time and give everyone a little time to see this message.
Not positive if Ill be around the computer tonight and Id like to be around.

Has it happened today?

I think we can do a global upgrade either around 6pm tonight or tomorrow morning if it hasn't gone away.

Rob H.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Seeing as cryptsy is in some difficulty right now I thought I would start another petition to have Gridcoin added to crypto-trade.com I have traded there and it seems like a decent exchange so far.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/petition-add-gridcoin-grc-to-crypto-tradecom-361562

Everyone make your vote count!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
I say whoever has not updated by now, cut them out. Do a global upgrade and lets end these synching problems.

It has something to do with the client collecting orphan blocks from old versions that are still running.  Looking at the debug file about 100 orphan blocks keep coming back.  Im running 4 machines and it affects one of them especially (resyncing once per day).  We could increment the minimum protocol version for everyone but that would require a global upgrade.  Any hardened cryptologists out there that would like to volunteer to help us clear out orphan blocks or give us advice?

In the mean time the only known solution is to close the wallet and delete the chainstate/database folders and restart.  I do not have to replace my wallet file when I do this.

I will try to devote some time to looking into this, but for the time being I've been busy creating a prototype for the scrypt-sleep algo.

Thanks,
Rob Halford

I agree, get things running smooth and solid before working further on the prototypical algo..
legendary
I say whoever has not updated by now, cut them out. Do a global upgrade and lets end these synching problems.

It has something to do with the client collecting orphan blocks from old versions that are still running.  Looking at the debug file about 100 orphan blocks keep coming back.  Im running 4 machines and it affects one of them especially (resyncing once per day).  We could increment the minimum protocol version for everyone but that would require a global upgrade.  Any hardened cryptologists out there that would like to volunteer to help us clear out orphan blocks or give us advice?

In the mean time the only known solution is to close the wallet and delete the chainstate/database folders and restart.  I do not have to replace my wallet file when I do this.

I will try to devote some time to looking into this, but for the time being I've been busy creating a prototype for the scrypt-sleep algo.

Thanks,
Rob Halford

Activity: 130
We should throw up a challenge on Slashdot for people to help Smiley

Though it would come with dickheads too :/

Thanks,
Rob Halford
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Is anyone else having trouble with their client occasionally stalling out...?

I woke up today to find my miner had been hashing away on the same block for more than 4 hours because one of my clients had stalled and was pretty far behind in the actual block count even though the client said it was synced.

What's really weird is that my other client (I have two pc's and one runs cgminer on load balance between the two clients) was still perfectly synced but the miner was not receiving new block notifications from the synced client either.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar...?

I seem to have the same issue.

Most of the times i end up with a corrupted wallet.dat too Sad
-rescan option does not help me.
The only solution for me is to delete the complete blockchain database and restore my wallet from backup.

Last time i deleted the peers.dat too - but then it refused to make more than only 1 (one) connection to the network  Huh
So i better kept my old peers.dat to get back to the normal 8 connections.

I have the latest client installed and doing cpu and gpu mining.

greetings
It took about seven minutes to process the chain at the 21 hour mark, then it continued again. It has now stalled at the 8 hour mark.

Just providing that in case it points to something helpful Smiley

edit: Turned out at 8 hours it hit wallet corruption, but resumed again on a restart.
There seems to be something that happened in the chain starting around 21 hours ago.

In the previous two days I made 52 coins from my CPU+nvidia card.

Today I seem to have made 3 or 4 coins, but can't be sure as the sync is once again choking at 21 hours behind.

edit: typo fixed.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
If anyone is having trouble with syncing or stalling after the latest update do this:

1. Close your Gridcoin client
2. Delete everything in your AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder EXCEPT the gridcoin.conf, wallet.dat, and if you use it, the guiminer folder
3. Make sure you have the latest client (if you open the Mining Console, you should see Version: 29, if not install the latest .MSI from the website
4. Start the client and it should completely resync

I have done clean re-installs of the latest client (version 29) multiple times and I am still having sync issues at times. See my post above as I believe I know the reason for this.
Chainjoes.com
I'm finding an issue where it's doing the work, but not updating the earned coins in the UI.
If I restart I will be N hours behind, where N is how many hours since the last restart. If it syncs successfully then I get some coins. But since this new issue popped up it's been way fewer coins. Like half a coin for 4 hours work, instead of 30 minutes.

I've had it running constantly except for the restarts and syncs so I should have a decent rate based on the floating level of earnings.

And I've reinstalled multiple times, restored my wallet from a backup, etc.

I can provide my debug log if it helps. I don't mind being a beta tester at all.

I have been experiencing this as well, usually after I restart it gets stuck at N hours behind and won't sync any further but that is easily fixed by launching with "-rescan".

But like you I am also experiencing where I come back to see 3 or 4 accepted blocks and then the sync gets stuck at a place and I have to restart which is when I get stuck at N hours behind and the coins are no longer in my wallet when I get synced back onto the correct blockchain.

I think what is happening is that those blocks are being orphaned or perhaps we are ending up on a forked chain and then we somehow get stuck when the client is trying to find it's way back onto the correct chain.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
If anyone is having trouble with syncing or stalling after the latest update do this:

1. Close your Gridcoin client
2. Delete everything in your AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder EXCEPT the gridcoin.conf, wallet.dat, and if you use it, the guiminer folder
3. Make sure you have the latest client (if you open the Mining Console, you should see Version: 29, if not install the latest .MSI from the website
4. Start the client and it should completely resync
I'm finding an issue where it's doing the work, but not updating the earned coins in the UI.
If I restart I will be N hours behind, where N is how many hours since the last restart. If it syncs successfully then I get some coins. But since this new issue popped up it's been way fewer coins. Like half a coin for 4 hours work, instead of 30 minutes.

I've had it running constantly except for the restarts and syncs so I should have a decent rate based on the floating level of earnings.

And I've reinstalled multiple times, restored my wallet from a backup, etc.

I can provide my debug log if it helps. I don't mind being a beta tester at all.
Chainjoes.com
Is anyone else having trouble with their client occasionally stalling out...?

I woke up today to find my miner had been hashing away on the same block for more than 4 hours because one of my clients had stalled and was pretty far behind in the actual block count even though the client said it was synced.

What's really weird is that my other client (I have two pc's and one runs cgminer on load balance between the two clients) was still perfectly synced but the miner was not receiving new block notifications from the synced client either.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar...?
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Looks like running as admin worked; Thank you so much!

run the gridcoin client as administrator. also you might have to specify the boinc install path and boinc data path in gridcoin.conf

Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me out here:
I'm running BOINC on my server, so I can only install BOINC 5.10.45.
Boink utilization always displays as 0.
In the mining instructions PDF it says in step 9
"9. Launch Gridcoin-qt. Click on the mining console menu. Click register mining
module. This will register the boinc.dll with the OS, that will allow communication
between boinc, cgminer and gridcoin-qt. Note: If you do not register the DLL, boinc
utilization will always show as zero. "
I didn't have to do this on a device running the latest BOINC, and I can't even see the "register mining
module" option anywhere.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://sdrv.ms/1bm6JX5
legendary
Activity: 1344
I assume there is no mining calculator yet.

So what can I achieve with mine 4 cores/8 threads i7 ?
Difficulty is @ 1.

Not on an exchange yet.

Thanks,
Grid

So no cpu mining yet? I didn't understand what exactly you mean.
I assume there is no mining calculator yet.

So what can I achieve with mine 4 cores/8 threads i7 ?
Difficulty is @ 1.

Not on an exchange yet.

Thanks,
Grid
module. This will register the boinc.dll with the OS, that will allow communication
between boinc, cgminer and gridcoin-qt. Note: If you do not register the DLL, boinc
I didn't have to do this on a device running the latest BOINC, and I can't even see the "register mining
module" option anywhere.
Hi Dale,

The doc is stale-- you don't have to register either of the DLLs if you use the MSI-prod version.  You only need to do that if you download the files from the zip and want to manually install the wallet.

Rob H.

legendary
run the gridcoin client as administrator. also you might have to specify the boinc install path and boinc data path in gridcoin.conf

module" option anywhere.
Jump to: