Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup [HD] - page 10. (Read 63113 times)

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
has anyone managed to resolve the issue of not being able to change the default password from the interface yet?

I'm not positive it's resolvable in this iteration of firmware.  Are you wanting to put your hardware on a DMZ?
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
has anyone managed to resolve the issue of not being able to change the default password from the interface yet?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
^^^ I must say that's the only problem I can find with bitcoin... it's just a little noisy Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
I installed my first S2 yesterday using only Dogie's thread for guidance and the unit was hashing at full speed within minutes of arrival. Thanks, Dogie!

Some odds and ends of possible interest -

The power cord that came with mine will not fit normal Canadian (American) 120v. wall outlets. I used an old 'puter power cord instead, of the kind we all probably have lying around. It and the one provided are each rated at 10 amps. My kill-a-watt says the S2 is drawing 8.85 amps at the wall and the cord is slightly warm to the touch. To be extra cautious I've ordered a 14AWG replacement from Newegg, rated at 15 amps which is overkill but what the heck.

The Canadian government has been helping itself to $30 (through the UPS courier) for each of my S1 deliveries, but for the S2 it grabbed $300 - something to factor into your ROI calculations (heh) if you don't already, regardless of what jurisdiction you are in.

The S2 is noisy enough that my wife has put her foot down about where it can go in the house. She didn't fuss much about the once-loud-but-now-dead BFL LS or about S1s. I don't think I'll risk the noise of an SP10 now though. Because of the noise issue I moved the S2 from its planned ethernet-wired site to another room without ethernet cable. I used a little Netgear WiFi adapter that I had available (WNCE2001) and so far it works flawlessly. I'll probably change it to something more substantial Real Soon Now.

In noise terms, an SP10 is about 15x the pressure so yeah, if you want to remain testicle'd then I'd say stick with what you have.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
I installed my first S2 yesterday using only Dogie's thread for guidance and the unit was hashing at full speed within minutes of arrival. Thanks, Dogie!

Some odds and ends of possible interest -

The power cord that came with mine will not fit normal Canadian (American) 120v. wall outlets. I used an old 'puter power cord instead, of the kind we all probably have lying around. It and the one provided are each rated at 10 amps. My kill-a-watt says the S2 is drawing 8.85 amps at the wall and the cord is slightly warm to the touch. To be extra cautious I've ordered a 14AWG replacement from Newegg, rated at 15 amps which is overkill but what the heck.

The Canadian government has been helping itself to $30 (through the UPS courier) for each of my S1 deliveries, but for the S2 it grabbed $300 - something to factor into your ROI calculations (heh) if you don't already, regardless of what jurisdiction you are in.

The S2 is noisy enough that my wife has put her foot down about where it can go in the house. She didn't fuss much about the once-loud-but-now-dead BFL LS or about S1s. I don't think I'll risk the noise of an SP10 now though. Because of the noise issue I moved the S2 from its planned ethernet-wired site to another room without ethernet cable. I used a little Netgear WiFi adapter that I had available (WNCE2001) and so far it works flawlessly. I'll probably change it to something more substantial Real Soon Now.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
I don't usually SSH in so can't help you there. The first part of the message is common but I've never seen it become a problem.

Your slot problem is hardware though, and doesn't sound like power. You'd get a few chips working/dead rather than all blank.

What could be there in hardware if I replaced the power board? BTW, you are right as far as changing power supply-it did not fix anything.
This is a mystery. Could it be that they loaded corrupt firmware file or bitmain software file? I already replaced or checked every single hardware piece I could think of, apart from beaglebone.

well , now I replaced the firmware and the problem stays:

no single board/blade works in slot#1 and it is not a poweboard problem because I replaced it with the new poweboard from bitmain.
I think that this is a possible intermittent board design flaw because they obviously modified the design by adding 4 "hanging" resistors.
I assume that as a result, on my particular machine, first nine boards consume too much power for the 10th board to hash.
I understand that this is somewhat rare problem. Bitmain is offering to replace the board, but any board is happily hashing at any other place, so I am "stuck" with partially functional machine after spending a few hours trying to fix the situation  Sad
I will RMA the current board at slot#1, maybe they will send a board that is designed better (new design)
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I got today my first S2, and i had some issues, so i will share my experience here in case it helps someone.

So, i connected the miner, it started good, then i turned off the PSU on the back and it would not start again. It looked like i killed the PSU somehow.

Solution: Turned off the PSU, removed the jumper on the mainboard connector (P_ON), turned on the PSU on the back, then put back the jumper, and the PSU started again. Didn't have the issue again.

Second thing, i started the miner, and then the ASIC status was like sh*t, and i was just getting 500GH/sec. It looked like the miner was half-dead.

-Solution: Took out all the cards, cleaned the contacts with toilet paper (ouuu yeahhh), and plugged and unplugged them several times to clean the slots, and then put everything back together. 100% of the asics are OK, and S2 is mining at >1TH

So, just that, hope it is useful for someone!

BR

Just as an addition, the PSU thing seems to be what happens when the PSU goes into thermal shutdown. After that, the only way to power it up again is the one mentioned above. It just happened to me (yeah, i was such a genius to put the PSU side sticked to the wall) and it worked out exactly the same way.

BR
Activity: 32
you could enter: rm known_hosts (its just faster)

its a file (not a folder)

and yea it will just prompt you about the key fingerprint (to save it etc) for all other ssh hosts (as you reconnect to them one at a time)

legendary

its easy to fix
just remove the known_hosts file (I do this all the time on my mac)

bring up terminal

cd .ssh
rm known*

(and try ssh connection again)

just a * after known? Will I be able to connect to my other ants if this directory is removed? hopefully, it will be restored anew on a new connection. right?
thanks for help, much appreciated.
legendary
I don't usually SSH in so can't help you there. The first part of the message is common but I've never seen it become a problem.

Your slot problem is hardware though, and doesn't sound like power. You'd get a few chips working/dead rather than all blank.

What could be there in hardware if I replaced the power board? BTW, you are right as far as changing power supply-it did not fix anything.
This is a mystery. Could it be that they loaded corrupt firmware file or bitmain software file? I already replaced or checked every single hardware piece I could think of, apart from beaglebone.
Activity: 32

its easy to fix
just remove the known_hosts file (I do this all the time on my mac)

bring up terminal

cd .ssh
rm known*

(and try ssh connection again)
legendary
dogiecoin.com
You're not testing with one board alone are you? That slot throws up errors if all the ones above aren't populated. Its also the most sensitive to low power or power issues.

I tested all possible combinations of boards. First slot shows ------------ on all asics, no 0 or X.

Edit: reloading bitmain.img did not help, but i learned how to make bootable drive  Smiley
You are probably right about power- don't know how to check it apart from using my spare EVGA1300.
My suspicion is that either my enermax or enermax cords are defective in my machine.
My understanding is that slot#1 is fartherst from the enermax, not closest.

After I reimaged theflash drive with bitmain.img, I got a nasty message after trying to ssh into S2

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users//.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in /Users//.ssh/known_hosts:6
RSA host key for XXX.XX.X.XX has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

How this could be remedied apart from hopefully going back to the old SD card? Is this normal when reflashing the SD card with bitmain.img?
How one finds out a correct host (mine) key?
Thanks. Right now I cannot ssh into the machine because of this.

legendary
You're not testing with one board alone are you? That slot throws up errors if all the ones above aren't populated. Its also the most sensitive to low power or power issues.

I tested all possible combinations of boards. First slot shows ------------ on all asics, no 0 or X.

Edit: reloading bitmain.img did not help, but i learned how to make bootable drive  Smiley
You are probably right about power- don't know how to check it apart from using my spare EVGA1300.
My suspicion is that either my enermax or enermax cords are defective in my machine.
My understanding is that slot#1 is fartherst from the enermax, not closest.

After I reimaged theflash drive with bitmain.img, I got a nasty message after trying to ssh into S2

@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users//.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in /Users//.ssh/known_hosts:6
RSA host key for XXX.XX.X.XX has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

How this could be remedied apart from hopefully going back to the old SD card? Is this normal when reflashing the SD card with bitmain.img?
How one finds out a correct host (mine) key?
Thanks. Right now I cannot ssh into the machine because of this.
legendary

Edit: reloading bitmain.img did not help, but i learned how to make bootable drive  Smiley
My understanding is that slot#1 is farthest from the enermax, not closest.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
This is a phenomenal thread.  I've had some S1's for awhile and now I'm going to pick up an S2.  I have a question about PSU.  I have a couple of HX 750 laying around.  Could I just use 2 of the HX to power the S2?  Run 3 PCI-E to each one?  Thanks for the great thread. 

I'd advise against it. Even though the PCI-Es likely share the same power plane, there is a significant risk of cross loading or one being loaded more than the other. Stock PSU is fine until it dies, mine is still going after months and months.
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
This is a phenomenal thread.  I've had some S1's for awhile and now I'm going to pick up an S2.  I have a question about PSU.  I have a couple of HX 750 laying around.  Could I just use 2 of the HX to power the S2?  Run 3 PCI-E to each one?  Thanks for the great thread. 

legendary
dogiecoin.com
legendary
Wierd problem with S2:

slot#1 does not hash (ever!-no green light blinking)

moving boards around did not help
using a brand new powerboard did not help
even connecting fans to a neighboring set of pins did not help (one set is free in my miner)
reconnecting beaglebone, ethernet cable did not help
making sure that all PCIE connectors are tight did not help

next step will try to reimage the microSD card, then (if it does not work)-connect new power supply (I doubt it will help), then update the firmware (which is already 4/10/14).

Any suggestions? this is a crazy problem to have, and it wasn't fixed by a new powerboard as I hoped.
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
So BM sent me a new card to replace the card that was half x's, but I'm still seeing my S2 hashrate slowly drop over the course of 12-24 hours.  Reboots and config changes show random, scattered x's across various boards, although they always show all o's after I reset the PSU.

Do I need to break down and upgrade the PSU to a 1200-1300 Watt output?  I'm open to all suggestions!
legendary
Activity: 2733
Merit: 1181
Perhaps someone can help.  I ordered a S2 and it just arrived today, I am in the U.S., but the power plug that came with the unit seems to be different than a standard U.S. plug.  It has 3 prongs, but they are all flat, has anyone else encountered this and can I just go and buy a proper cord from a store to replace it?

Make sure you buy a power cord that is at least 15 amp rated at 120
They are the thicker ones than the standard PC or monitor cables which are only 10 amp at 120 rated.

If you go with the standard 10 amp one it will probably overheat and cause problems if not worse.

Standard PSU cables are the 15 amp kind.

I hope this helps.
Pages:
Jump to: