Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup [HD] - page 6. (Read 63113 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
Exactly the same TracerX!   UPS just picked it up.  Sounds like I was run through the same testing process (naturally).  You have to give it to Bitmain!  They had absolutely no issue conceding the card was indeed dead, and in the same email provided the shipping label and instructions for the RMA.  Legends!

Glad to hear that they got you sorted out--let us know how soon you get it back.  I'm curious if the turn around time will be effected by the crush of new S3s they are trying to get out the door.

Will Do!  Hopefully it'll be a quick process.  With transit for the broken card to get there, and the subsequent turn around time. I wouldn't expect better than quite a few weeks though being in Australia!

Keep you posted!
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
Exactly the same TracerX!   UPS just picked it up.  Sounds like I was run through the same testing process (naturally).  You have to give it to Bitmain!  They had absolutely no issue conceding the card was indeed dead, and in the same email provided the shipping label and instructions for the RMA.  Legends!

Glad to hear that they got you sorted out--let us know how soon you get it back.  I'm curious if the turn around time will be effected by the crush of new S3s they are trying to get out the door.
I spoke to soon  Undecided 

12 hours in and the blade is half down (-'s and x's) and the S2 is hasing at around 930 GH/s.     Still, thanks for all sharing your knowledge/trials with the S2 guys.

One blade may be RMA'd.  I'm pleased to say that Bitmain got straight back to me when i requested RMA information/advice on steps to take...  Investigating further..

I ended up RMA'ing that card they asked my to "press on all the chips", too.  The RMA process for me in the US is at least pretty painless.  Good luck!

12 hours in and the blade is half down (-'s and x's) and the S2 is hasing at around 930 GH/s.     Still, thanks for all sharing your knowledge/trials with the S2 guys.

One blade may be RMA'd.  I'm pleased to say that Bitmain got straight back to me when i requested RMA information/advice on steps to take...  Investigating further..

I ended up RMA'ing that card they asked my to "press on all the chips", too.  The RMA process for me in the US is at least pretty painless.  Good luck!

Hi guys,

First time post, as I've only just joined the forum and for that matter, only just started mining with an S2.  officially hooked on mining and the need to fill my head with as much knowledge as possible.  It's a great bit of Gear... Now..   Although,  it would be remiss of me not to share my woes (none to serious) with the hardware which only occured after the first few days of running:

As great a job as I'd thought I'd done with cleaning the "ample" thermal paste application, that Bitmain had supplied on the boards.  Even before the s2's first fire up.   Some had still managed to leak down once the rig was well heatsoaked, and make it's way onto and slightly into a slot.  Some electrical cleaner and an upside down Antminer fixed that right up... Happy days.  Smiley  hashing away at about bang on 1TH/s.

A day later I logged onto to check how it was hashing away and it appeared that one card (not from the thermal paste slot) was not being detected fully (no screen shot sorry) as there were many x's and even dashes in place of the normal range of o's.  Relocating the card into another slot yielded the same result.  It wasn't until a poster on this very thread (Thanks Tracerx) mentioned pushing the voltage regs back into the card as a fix, that I decided to apply the same method to not only that card, but to all 10 of the blades in the S2.  After much cricking and cracking and reassembly my 24 hr average is just a touch over the 1 TH/s.

I guess all I'm saying is, thanks everyone for your help.  Especially you Dogie.  Every little piece of information you share with us makes the whole experience less daunting for the newbies like myself, and also makes the troubleshooting infinitely easier.  Keep up the good work groovers!

Bill.
donator
Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003
Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?
Replace the SD card and it will fix it. Just need a $5 4GB one from amazon

no need for the new SD card. See my post on the main thread. i had exactly the same condition. Solution: download the latest (6/19) tar file from Bitmain support on your laptop. While connected to the miner from the laptop, go to upgrade, search for the file, then flash. the "wheel" will be turning. wait...they say a minute, I waited five just in case because the 'wheel" never stops turning, disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop back to router. power cycle the miner-and you are good to go to set up the new ip address, settings, etc.

Its a symptom of something larger though, he can flash to his hearts content but theres no point when there's a $5 fix.

most likely-not because they specifically acknowledged exactly this problem in their recent software update
fix bug: miner configuration can't saved in the SD card occasionally.

The last S2 I ordered refused to save the configuration changes I made.

- 6/19 firmware did not help
- new SD cards did not help

It turned out that the third partition /dev/mmcblk0p3 of the SD card refused to mount to the /config directory, meaning that any files saved to /config would not be persistent and would be lost once the system was rebooted or powered down.

I finally fixed the problem by buying a replacement Beaglebone Black Rev C from Amazon. Apparently there was something wrong with the SD card reader/writer of the original BBB.

Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good.  

Fixed it.  Removed all of the blades and reinserted them.  

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.

I'm going to check into that also.  They sent a 200V power cord with it.  I did use a heavy duty power cord 120v.  I'm trying not get a mini data center in my home.  I'm looking for another power strip in the meantime.  Any recommendations?

I've been using an APC branded power strip (not a UPS) on my test bench for extended runs and it never warms up.  The one I have is model P7T and has a 14 AWG power cable feeding it.  http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P7T

IANAEE, however, so others should feel free to chime in!

I am using a 14 AWG.  I'll look into this one and see. 

Let us know what you decide!
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good.  

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.

I'm going to check into that also.  They sent a 200V power cord with it.  I did use a heavy duty power cord 120v.  I'm trying not get a mini data center in my home.  I'm looking for another power strip in the meantime.  Any recommendations?

I've been using an APC branded power strip (not a UPS) on my test bench for extended runs and it never warms up.  The one I have is model P7T and has a 14 AWG power cable feeding it.  http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P7T

I am using a 14 AWG.  I'll look into this one and see. 

Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good. 

Fixed it.  Removed all of the blades and reinserted them. 

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.

I'm going to check into that also.  They sent a 200V power cord with it.  I did use a heavy duty power cord 120v.  I'm trying not get a mini data center in my home.  I'm looking for another power strip in the meantime.  Any recommendations?
Woke up to a dead S2 this morning.  Like a previous poster, I have moved it around to different outlets, nothing.  I noticed the power bar that it was plugged into was melted slightly melted in the outlet it was plugged into.  I did plug it directly into the wall to see if it was the outlet, nothing.  How do you know if the PSU is bad or gone?  This is not good. 

I would still be concerned about the slight melted outlet on your power strip.  Make sure you use a heavy gauge power cable out of the back of the PSU to make sure it doesn't overheat, same for the power strip.

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Hi folks,

I only have two antminer S2, but sure enough, one was fixed with the June 19th update, and the other still does not hold it's configuration changes... until now.  Wink I like Linux; because I can make it do whatever I need it to do. In this case, I wanted the same things that you do, to keep it's configurations after a reboot.

My fix is a shell script that unpacks the bitmaintech provided initramfs (firmware) tar files, changes the network settings to be unique for each S2, and inserts my custom pool settings. It's not perfect. It's not even elegant, but it does work.

Just put the pub_bminit.sh script on a Linux server, and change the permissions for it to be executable. Adjust the pieces highlighted with red. Just tell it where the initramfs tar file is located, like this:

./pub_bminit.sh /home/username/Downloads/initramfs.bin.SD-20140619.tar
___
#! /bin/bash

export PATH="/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/root/bin"

if
  [ -n "${1}" ]
then

if
    [ -f "${1}" ]
  then
    export SD_VER=`basename ${1} | awk -F\- '{print $2}' | awk -F\. '{print $1}'`
    mkdir -m 0755 -p "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs"
    cp "${1}" "/tmp/${SD_VER}/.ORIG`basename ${1}`"
    cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/"

#--> unpack the initramfs (firmware) file
    tar xfz ".ORIG`basename ${1}`"
    dd if=initramfs.bin.SD of=initramfs.cpio.gz bs=64 skip=1
    gunzip initramfs.cpio.gz
    cd modified/fs
    cpio -vidF ../../initramfs.cpio

#--> add a number for each miner for the loop
    for i in 1 2
    do                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

#--> double-check the current directory                                                                                                                                                                                               
      if                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
        [ `pwd` != "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs" ]                                                                                                                                                                                           
      then                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified/fs"                                                                                                                                                                                                     
      fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

#--> insert your custom pool info                                                                                                                                                                                                     
      cat > ./etc/cgminer.conf.factory << EOF                                                                                                                                                                                               
{                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  "pools": [                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool1.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     
      "user": "yourusername_10${i}",                                                                                                                                                                                                         
      "pass": "yourpassword" 

},                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool2.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     

},                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      "url": "stratum+tcp://stratum.yourpool3.com:3333",                                                                                                                                                                                     

}
  ],
  "api-listen": true,
  "api-network": true,
  "api-allow": "W:0/0",
  "bitmainbeeper" : true,
  "bitmaintempoverctrl" : true
}
EOF

#--> insert your custom network info
      cat > ./etc/network.conf.factory << EOF
hostname=antminer10${i}
ipaddress=10.0.0.10${i}
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=10.0.0.1
dnsservers="8.8.8.8"

EOF

#--> rebuild the initramfs (firmware) file
      find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../initramfs.cpio
      cd "/tmp/${SD_VER}/modified"
      gzip initramfs.cpio
      mkimage -n 'Angstrom-bitmainer-eglibc-ipk-v2' -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -d initramfs.cpio.gz initramfs.bin.SD
      tar cfz "../initramfs.bin.SD-${SD_VER}.tar" initramfs.bin.SD
      mkdir -m 0755 -p /opt/firmware/${SD_VER}/10${i}
      mv "../initramfs.bin.SD-${SD_VER}.tar" /opt/firmware/${SD_VER}/10${i}/

done
    #--> end of the loop

fi

fi
___
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?

no need for the new SD card. See my post on the main thread. i had exactly the same condition. Solution: download the latest (6/19) tar file from Bitmain support on your laptop. While connected to the miner from the laptop, go to upgrade, search for the file, then flash. the "wheel" will be turning. wait...they say a minute, I waited five just in case because the 'wheel" never stops turning, disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop back to router. power cycle the miner-and you are good to go to set up the new ip address, settings, etc.

Its a symptom of something larger though, he can flash to his hearts content but theres no point when there's a $5 fix.

most likely-not because they specifically acknowledged exactly this problem in their recent software update
fix bug: miner configuration can't saved in the SD card occasionally.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
my latest S2 died lastnight, was only running for 12 hours since it was delivered at my house yesterday.

i was checking my pool stats in the middle of the night while feeding the baby and noticed the new s2 not hashing so i went out to the garage and the power supply fan is spinning, but the s2 is dead, no lights at all

so i turn it off and on to no avail, then unplug it and move it to a different outlet and plug it back in and there was a loud POP and a spark flew out of the power supply.  upon closer inspection one of the capacitors blew and is leaking white stuff

had a spare 1000w rosewill psu i swapped it with and started up the S2 and wouldn't turn on agn, so i started removing hash boards and moving them around and came to the conclusion one of the hash boards is totally dead.  when this particular board is plugged in the unit wont turn on, doesnt matter if theres 6, 7, 10 boards plugged in.  without the dead board the S2 starts like a champ

the unit is now running fine with 9 boards and my spare PSU

contacted bitmain for RMA help and so far theyve asked me some troubleshooting questions, but at this point its pretty obvious what the issue is lol.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Just got an S2 today.  For some reason I can't get the miner to keep my pool settings after shutdown.
I update the pools and change the IP address no problem.  It runs on my pools and I can access it on the new IP address. But then if I do a reset or just shut it down and restart it all the changes are gone.  It's back to the factory settings.
I can't find anything in the manual that I'm doing wrong or not doing.  Any suggestions?

legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
Yeah - trying to avoid that.
Pages:
Jump to: