Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup [HD] - page 8. (Read 63113 times)

Activity: 127
Merit: 100
Hi guys
My S2 has been working fine now for a couple of weeks on BTCguild pool but since yesterday it's slowed down on average from 1000 to about 950.

Checking it out via the control web page there seems to be nothing wrong at all everything is normal temps are all below 55.

Any idea what the cause might be? Could it be the pool? The speed is showing as slower than normal on the miners web page too, I can't see the LCD it's remote.
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
Got my first S2 yesterday.  Mining happily away.  I noticed that the #9 chain is not showing the temperature.  Could that simply be a loose connection?  I wasn't trying to power down to take it apart.  Or should I be concerned?

I'd ignore it, not seen a solution yet. Might be dead sensor in the actual board, lose internal connector, bad external connection, we just don't know. Makes no difference though.

Thanks.  Haven't noticed anything different.  Hashing nicely.  Will be picking up another one.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Got my first S2 yesterday.  Mining happily away.  I noticed that the #9 chain is not showing the temperature.  Could that simply be a loose connection?  I wasn't trying to power down to take it apart.  Or should I be concerned?

I'd ignore it, not seen a solution yet. Might be dead sensor in the actual board, lose internal connector, bad external connection, we just don't know. Makes no difference though.
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Flashed a new SD card and that seems to have done the trick.  Now the only issue is all the fan speeds report as 0 even though they are running fine, and sometimes the temperature of the cards report as 0 as well.  But at least everything is working properly now.

Yeah don't worry about that, its not symptomatic of anything worse.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Flashed a new SD card and that seems to have done the trick.  Now the only issue is all the fan speeds report as 0 even though they are running fine, and sometimes the temperature of the cards report as 0 as well.  But at least everything is working properly now.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Where is the micro SD card located in the S2?  Mine keeps resetting to factory settings after every reboot, so I am going to try a new SD card.

on the BB-middle board: you have to remove #6 or both #6 and #7 board(s) to gain better access; it is very tiny-push it "in" and it pops out.
Where is the micro SD card located in the S2?  Mine keeps resetting to factory settings after every reboot, so I am going to try a new SD card.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
ok I burned the image to a new microsd and got the same result
then when I tried to upgrade (Reinstall) the latest firmware from their support site (I tried the tar and the .sd) - I got this error:

(initramfs.bin.SD-20140410.tar)

System Upgrade Failed

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /tmp/847.boot failed: No such file or directory umount: can't umount /tmp/847.boot: Invalid argument
I have the same problemwith one S2 now.
Has this been fixed anywhere?
I have the problem now with 3 S2...
legendary
hi, I have question to S2 users: how much heat does it blow away with it's fans? I've heard it's easy to overclock it even without additional cooling, so it' shouldn't warm up much a small room in standard mode, right?

My 8X12 "mining" room was heating up to 34oC, 92oF with 3 ants and one S2; I had to keep the door open and point the S2 exaust toward the door frame-it helped because at ~35oC s2 will shutdown sometimes. Air conditioner could not cope since it is 100oF outside, so equipment has to go (at least in part). looking forward to heating with miners in the winter and reducing the gas bill  Smiley
hi, I have question to S2 users: how much heat does it blow away with it's fans? I've heard it's easy to overclock it even without additional cooling, so it' shouldn't warm up much a small room in standard mode, right?
I use mine as the lounge room heater since it's 65dB it's not too bad.
(room is ~ 8m x 12m)
65db.. hm... quite significant level of noise, I thought it could work below 40dB.

It's winter here (though not that cold)
Room is 22C, outside is 14C
Most of that 8C is due to the S2.
(my only other 'heaters' are an Avalon140 running at 100 in the kitchen and an Avalon300 running at 200 in my bedroom, no normal heaters anywhere Smiley )
That's what I'm worring about... So it will definitely heat up a lot small 5m x 3m room during summer.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Quick questions for those with S2's. If the power glitches or goes out neither of my2 miners will come back up when the power is restored. I have to unplug the miners and let them sit for a few mins before they will come back on. Is this a known problem with the psu? Thanks for any answers.

It will be internal to the PSU, I've had it on lots of devices.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I use mine as the lounge room heater since it's 65dB it's not too bad.
(room is ~ 8m x 12m)
It's winter here (though not that cold)
Room is 22C, outside is 14C
Most of that 8C is due to the S2.
(my only other 'heaters' are an Avalon140 running at 100 in the kitchen and an Avalon300 running at 200 in my bedroom, no normal heaters anywhere Smiley )
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Quick questions for those with S2's. If the power glitches or goes out neither of my2 miners will come back up when the power is restored. I have to unplug the miners and let them sit for a few mins before they will come back on. Is this a known problem with the psu? Thanks for any answers.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
How to update cgminer of the antminer s2?

Why do you want to do that?
Because:
1) The version in there throws away valid blocks on p2pool
2) The version in there doesn't block the recent stratum redirect problem
3) The version in there passes all shares to the pool even if they are below target (I'm sure pools must hate the S2 due to the major increase in CPU requirements at the pool)
4) The version in there has the API set to W:0/0 so anyone with network access can change your settings/pool/username (and the web page doesn't let you fix that)
5) The version in there has a modified API with different field names to the standard API so anyone using other software that reads the API must get that software changed (or use a proper API version of cgminer in the S2 Tongue)
6) The version in there doesn't allow you to turn the beep off Smiley

I released a new firmware yesterday with current cgminer (which has new S2 support), but it has severe problems on p2pool.
So once I've sorted that out, there will also be a solution Smiley
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Why do you want to do that?
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
legendary
ok I burned the image to a new microsd and got the same result
then when I tried to upgrade (Reinstall) the latest firmware from their support site (I tried the tar and the .sd) - I got this error:

(initramfs.bin.SD-20140410.tar)

System Upgrade Failed

mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /tmp/847.boot failed: No such file or directory umount: can't umount /tmp/847.boot: Invalid argument
I have the same problemwith one S2 now.
Has this been fixed anywhere?

my understanding that you should NOT just burn the image to microSD, instead you have to make the SD bootable, which is a process that takes 20-30 min-see bottom of page 86 on the main S2 thread for EXACT instructions. I did it and bootable microSD 'worked", but you will have to replace pools and also remove known_hosts file (for ssh access) as discussed on this thread.
Pages:
Jump to: