Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc. - page 7. (Read 48553 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250
Thank you for providing this information, so we can prevent the loss Smiley

Like the qoute saying " prevention is better than preparations ". But like what they've said we can't prevent this from happening. Whatever can happen may happen and the only thing that we can do is wait for what will happen. As for me, my BTC is on electrum but Im still thinking on what will happen, it feels like I'm in the state of dilemma. But when I've read this posts ( which really helps a lot mentally ), and I thank you moderator in providing such information. I know this is for the development of btc itself. I'm hoping that the month of despair " August " will be good to all of us.
Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
I have coins in an older version of multibit.  When I export the private keys, it saves them and I can view them in a text editing software.  Am I going to be safe for whatever happens on August first?  Let's say my wallet doesn't work after August first, will I just be able to enter the private key into Electrum and still have my bitcoins?  Thanks.

Could anyone please answer this, I'm fairly certain that I'm safe because I can read my private key in plaintext but I want to be sure.

Yes you should be OK, I still had a Multibit Classic recently but changed because it wasn't able to use high fees for transactions, I seem to remember I just exported the private key of my address (even though Multibit recommended to send your coins to a new address on Multibit HD).

What you should do is install Electrum and import that private key right now, you will know for sure it's OK.

Also you should print that private key then delete it from your computer, or at least put a password on the text file.
Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
Let me recap:

If I use Electrum and export the private keys of my address, I am sure to receive both BTC and BTC Cash on 1st August?

Right?

You won't receive anything. You will have coins on both chains. It's up to you to do something about it.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
I have coins in an older version of multibit.  When I export the private keys, it saves them and I can view them in a text editing software.  Am I going to be safe for whatever happens on August first?  Let's say my wallet doesn't work after August first, will I just be able to enter the private key into Electrum and still have my bitcoins?  Thanks.

Could anyone please answer this, I'm fairly certain that I'm safe because I can read my private key in plaintext but I want to be sure.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Im seriously confused i dont know what's being implemented here they said that bip148 will activate in august 1st but a user posted a thread in bitcoin discussion that bip91 has received 80% threshold necessary to activate some users who replied on that post that "There is no need worry cause a split not pccur anymore" is this true? A few days after that some article in cointelegraph they've posted that a hardfork will occur not in the headline but the article says that it will.  My question is what will really happen in august 1 ? Pls tell me im really confused.
It's better to be prepared. Have you read this on the top left? "BIP91 seems stable: there's probably only slightly increased risk of confirmations disappearing. You should still prepare for Aug 1 (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/august-1-bip148-preparedness-2017191)."
Activity: 1400
Merit: 269
Im seriously confused i dont know what's being implemented here they said that bip148 will activate in august 1st but a user posted a thread in bitcoin discussion that bip91 has received 80% threshold necessary to activate some users who replied on that post that "There is no need worry cause a split not pccur anymore" is this true? A few days after that some article in cointelegraph they've posted that a hardfork will occur not in the headline but the article says that it will.  My question is what will really happen in august 1 ? Pls tell me im really confused.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
Anyone have any input on whether or not it's a good idea to consolidate inputs in a particular wallet prior to Aug 1st?  For example let's say I have 100 inputs of .001 BTC at a particular address to give me .1 BTC total.  Should I try to consolidate my inputs to take advantage of the low fees per Byte for transactions on the network, or just leave it be?   

it doesn't matter as far as August 1 is concerned and all the action related to that date. but it is a very good time to do so because the mempool is practically empty and low fee transactions are going through fast. so if you want to do a "clean up" and save some money because of fees, it is a very good time.
100 inputs will cost a lot in fees but you can send it with a small satoshi/byte these days and get it confirmed within reasonable time. some have reported 1.5 s/b transactions to be confirmed within minutes.

make sure to use RBF though.
Activity: 3
For anyone who has a Trezor and has transferred their BTC to it in order to hold their private keys securely.
Trezor has just posted this article, Re: bitcoin-cash hard fork, which I found informative:
https://blog.trezor.io/bitcoin-cash-hard-fork-chain-split-safe-guide-abbe3e9c553f

regards
Which wallet or exchange will accept both bitcoins or we don't know yet for sure?
Don't choose third party like exchanges, recommended apps and sites has been already posted on the first page please refer on it.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Using alternate bitcoin type you're lowering the price of bitcoin of main type! Cheesy
Activity: 59
Which wallet or exchange will accept both bitcoins or we don't know yet for sure?
Activity: 124
Is blockchain.info going to support both bitcoin types?

of course not!
why not? It's now obvious. Could you pls clarify?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500

of course not!
Activity: 59
Activity: 8
Thank you, this explains what how the fork actually works a lot better than some of the Youtubers I am following. If anyone is interested in the new Bitcoin Cash, here is a link: https://www.bitcoincash.org/ to their official page.
Activity: 896
Merit: 527
₿₿₿₿₿₿₿
Let me recap:

If I use Electrum and export the private keys of my address, I am sure to receive both BTC and BTC Cash on 1st August?

Right?
If you own the private keys and are the sole owner of them, you will receive both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash on 1st August.

As far as I know, this is the case with Electrum. And any other wallet that doesn't keep your keys "online" or in a exchange, and allows you to export your private keys.
Activity: 162
Let me recap:

Right?
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
i was having conversation with green address they also said that they also dont support bitcoin cash

So which wallet support bitcoin cash that is the question now

I think it will be the  dedicated wallet/s. Some of them are listed on BitcoinCash official site.
You are wrong. First of all, Bitcoin doesn't have official website. If you are talking about Bitcoin.org - if wallet listed here, it doesn't means that it will support BitcoinCash. For example, Coinbase listed here, but they stated that they wont support BitcoinCash. Same case with GreenAddress and more other wallets.

He talked about the BitcoinCASH official website, not bitcoin.org.
Oh, my bad... Somehow I missed word CASH in his post :/
And now we can see not many wallets which will support both chains.
If you want to use your smartphone regarding this, according to theymos he is recommending electrum for mobile right?
Android app name: Electrum Bitcoin Wallet
Developer: Electrum Technologies GmbH
Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

Neither of wallets keep your coins. They keep the pair of private - public keys. All you need to get bcc and btc after 1 st Aug is to import your private key into relevant wallet. One of them will be solely for btc the other one for bcc

I got some PM asking to give more details on this. So, actually u are keeping btc not in the wallet but on the address. Keep your btc  on any address u control with the private key.  As an option u may go to https://www.bitaddress.org/   generate a pair of private-public (the last of the pair is  your address)  key   (write it down and keep in the safe place) and send your btc to the address (public key) u generated. Then, when needed,  you may import the private key in any wallet u choose. After Aug 1st when the  all settle down you may import the private key relevant to your address to the wallet that synchronises with btc chain (to get control of your btc) and at same time  to another wallet that synchronises with bcc chain (to get control of your bcc)

Thanks for that info. I have a bitaddress generated paper wallet with private and public keys. I have just withdrawn my BTC from the exchange to the paper wallet and it's pending confirmations. So, if I am understanding this correctly, you can spend your BTC on both the chains simultaneously after the split, right? Kind of like double spending, one on each chain?

Yes, in general you are correct, but you can spend them not only simultaneously but in asynchronous way

Pages:
Jump to: